PDA

View Full Version : Is this Normal Wear on a Bolt Carrier?

SouthwestAviator
08-31-20, 21:49
This BCG is from my single 20" rifle gas AR. After about 1k rounds I noticed a couple of spots on the sides of the carrier with markings similar to what I have pictured here. I don't see this on any of my carbines. Is this a normal rifle thing, or is something wrong here? It's a Colt AR15A4, by the way.

https://i.imgur.com/nMHR9hC.jpg

TomMcC
08-31-20, 21:59
Is there any corresponding wear on your receiver? If not, it might just be the parkerizing didn't take real well in those spot.

SouthwestAviator
08-31-20, 22:02
Is there any corresponding wear on your receiver? If not, it might just be the parkerizing didn't take real well in those spot.

No, I looked but couldn't find any. This carrier does have a different, darker parkerizing than I'm used to. But it's the original carrier that came in the rifle, C marked and all.

TomMcC
08-31-20, 22:08
I'd say don't worry about it if nothing is happening to the inside of your receiver. the Aluminum is much softer than the steel BC. Looks to me like the finish is just wonky there, no real wear. Just keep an eye on things once in a while.

SouthwestAviator
08-31-20, 23:02
I guess some random finish wear isn't all that uncommon, now that I think about it most of my ARs have had some minor finish wear internally somewhere or another.

Dr. Bullseye
08-31-20, 23:13
Why not spray over it with some black spray paint. If the finish comes off again in exactly the same place it might be hitting something.

Disciple
08-31-20, 23:15
Could that be from chatter against the lip of the receiver extension?

scottcc
09-01-20, 04:31
Since the pattern resembles the forward assist teeth. I think it was caused by being too close to another carrier while the finish was applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthwestAviator
09-01-20, 09:56
Since the pattern resembles the forward assist teeth. I think it was caused by being too close to another carrier while the finish was applied.

I'd agree except for the fact that there's one or two other spots with little flecks of bare rubbed-looking metal like it had been rubbed or otherwise went up against something. I guess another explanation is that it could've happened in Colt's big bins of carriers all just kinda tossed in there together? I know Colt isn't exactly gentle with their parts, which is something I don't mind.

SouthwestAviator
09-01-20, 12:22
I'd also like to add that I don't feel any kind of deformation or unevenness when I run my finger across the worn-looking spots. It's completely smooth.

ColtSeavers
09-01-20, 19:02
No, that is not normal. Seems something went wrong during the finsihing process? Scottcc's theory is a good one.

SouthwestAviator
09-02-20, 10:22
No, that is not normal. Seems something went wrong during the finsihing process? Scottcc's theory is a good one.

Do you think its something that's going to cause problems down the line?

Alpine2k3
09-02-20, 12:51
I doubt It.

ColtSeavers
09-02-20, 23:38
Do you think its something that's going to cause problems down the line?

As Alpine2k3 posted, I doubt it, that's not a wear area. Just make sure if doesn't get surface corrosion if you live in a humid/salty air area.

magister
09-06-20, 23:55
Looks like some finish didn’t take normally. Assuming it’s a finish issue and assuming it’s working well for you I’d lube it and use it. It would not bother me.

556BlackRifle
09-07-20, 11:18
If the area is smooth and not rubbing against anything, I'd speculate that something went wrong in the finishing process. Throw some lube on it and report back after 5k rounds.

shadowrider
09-07-20, 13:54
Looks like clamp marks from the coating process. They have to clamp them on a rack, put them in a basket, or something to apply the finish. I suspect those marks is what was in contact with whatever was holding it during the finish process. I'd pay it no mind at all.