PDA

View Full Version : What's the most useless AR accessory/gimmick in your opinion

kirkland
09-01-20, 14:14
For me it's fancy BCG's with super special slick coating made of hardened unicorn cum or whatever, and "enhanced" features that some of these boutique companies use that make make them incompatible with standard parts. Give me a standard phosphate milspec BCG all day, any day, every day over that crap.

Another one that comes to mind are muzzle devices that direct 90% of the blast and concussion back at the person standing next to the shooter. I get it, they're great to shoot, but sucks for you when your standing near you buddy who is shooting one.

Piston AR's are another one. Let's add unnecessary weight and proprietary parts to the front of the rifle while also increasing the chance of a failure by slapping a piston system on a weapon that wasn't originally designed to use one, so we can fix a problem that doesn't exist because we think that blowing gas back into the action is "baaad mkaaaay" Nevermind that the DI system was designed to run that way (shitting where it eats) and is reliable as hell.

Eurodriver
09-01-20, 14:34
That's a tough one, because there are so many.

I'd say KNS pins are at the top.

Followed extremely closely by:

Titanium anything
Adjustable gas blocks
NP3 anything (But it "wipes off easily"...ok?)
Chinese optics
Visible lasers
Railed gas blocks
Binary triggers
Pistol braces
Redimag Carriers (YES - EVEN IF ITS ALUMINUM @DOCSHERM)
Offset iron sights

BobinNC
09-01-20, 14:38
There's a bunch of wisdom in your post and some good points. But we don't have to be total Luddites. Rather than jumping on the latest and greatest new product, or coating, or geewizz do dad that comes out, it would be prudent to wait a year or so to see if reality lives up to the hype. Being on the leading edge (AKA Bleeding Edge) of technology can led to some precarious footing.

As far a muzzle devices go there's a place for every one of them. Flashhiders are nifty on a two way range; linear compensators directs blast away from you and your neighbor in a friendly way & all the while increasing your felt recoil and throws beautiful flames in the dark; muzzle brakes are fine for the recoil and muzzle jump shy and are a great way to keep the yahoo shooting next to you annoyed/distracted/pissed off, especially if he is using a muzzle brake too during a comp.

I should note that VG6 Gamma muzzle brakes (in 5.56mm and 300 BLK variety ) can be bought with a separate and removeable cage device to control the beast. So blast on / blast off can be obtained in mere moments....

And as far as piston systems go, well the "well-to-do" have to have something different to spend their money on so they don't appear to be like the peasants.......

markm
09-01-20, 14:38
KNS pins for sure.

O-rings for extractors - I think we're past that stupidity.

The directional cam pins are the new stupid.

NP3 is actually pretty nice. I have an old Sig Sauer 45 done in duo tone with NP3 from the 90s, and it's held up great. I have one BCG that is shot regularly, and I like the NP3. I'm fine with the standard BCG, but the NP3 doesn't fall short at all.

R.O.U.S.
09-01-20, 14:39
The one that bugs me is skeletonized upper receivers.

Eurodriver
09-01-20, 14:41
KNS pins for sure.

NP3 is actually pretty nice. I have an old Sig Sauer 45 done in duo tone with NP3 from the 90s, and it's held up great. I have one BCG that is shot regularly, and I like the NP3. I'm fine with the standard BCG, but the NP3 doesn't fall short at all.

You know, when I made my post I was actually thinking of you lol. I know you have an NP3 BCG and run it hard, and it cleans easily.

Not saying they're prone to fail, but what benefit does it offer over a park'd BCG?

richiecotite
09-01-20, 14:45
Upper/lower tension screw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty223
09-01-20, 14:48
But I like 45-degree offset BU sights ...

GH41
09-01-20, 14:50
Parts or accessories any color other than black or DT. The pink girl shit is the worst closely followed by zombi green!

ColtSeavers
09-01-20, 14:56
Why the Chin Stock of course!

https://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/AR15-Halix-Chin-Stock.jpg

scottcc
09-01-20, 14:58
A bore guide, you can put the carrier back in without the bolt and you have a bore guide if you need one.

09-01-20, 15:08
Parts or accessories any color other than black or DT. The pink girl shit is the worst closely followed by zombi green!Normally I agree, but the wife wants hers color matched and never questions what buy or price so its a small sacrifice to make. Come to think of it the only time she's ever said anything gun related in chewing my a$$ if I trade a gun.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ggammell
09-01-20, 15:09
Three point slings.

matemike
09-01-20, 15:12
brass catchers. never used one, only read about them and was laughing as soon as I saw that there was such a thing

those dragon shaped muzzle devices that are supposed to throw a bigger fire ball

And don't forget the NCstar golf ball launcher

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ncstar-ar-15-golf-ball-launcher?a=502765

Eurodriver
09-01-20, 15:16

https://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/AR15-Halix-Chin-Stock.jpg

wtf??

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-01-20, 15:25
wtf??

IIRC this thing came about when the ATF said you couldn't shoulder a brace so rather than just form 1'ing the lower, someone thought this was a good idea instead.

Esq.
09-01-20, 15:27
I'll reply slightly off key and say the most COMMONLY SEEN POS is the BAD Lever.

scooter22
09-01-20, 15:34
Tritium sights

Left-handed ejection ports

NiB BCG (NP3 is legit)

titsonritz
09-01-20, 18:00
Just about 90% of the shit out there.

the AR-15 Junkie
09-01-20, 18:11
KNS pins for sure.

What he said. I LMAO at that cam pin marking thread/

markm
09-01-20, 18:26
You know, when I made my post I was actually thinking of you lol. I know you have an NP3 BCG and run it hard, and it cleans easily.

Not saying they're prone to fail, but what benefit does it offer over a park'd BCG?

Not much. But it's the only finish I've tried that doesn't make it WORSE. I will always defer to a mil spec BCG, for sure. But the NP3 is sorta slick, but still holds lube.

Hammer_Man
09-01-20, 18:42
Skeletonized receivers

Anything made by Strike Industries.

Brightly anodized parts of any kind.

Titanium AR bits and bobs

Folding grips

ColtSeavers
09-01-20, 18:53
IIRC this thing came about when the ATF said you couldn't shoulder a brace so rather than just form 1'ing the lower, someone thought this was a good idea instead.

Good memory!

jdgiii
09-01-20, 18:53
Grip pods
Bump stocks
Lefty AR’s

ColtSeavers
09-01-20, 18:59
Accu wedge.

ghideon
09-01-20, 19:46
No one has had a pin start to walk on them?

ColtSeavers
09-01-20, 19:53
SBR tax stamp.

Eurodriver
09-01-20, 19:57

Nope. If your pins and springs are to spec and installed correctly they can’t walk. The springs rest in grooves that prevent movement.

titsonritz
09-01-20, 20:08

It has never happen to me but I've seen it happen several times and in every case the hammer spring was installed backwards.

Diamondback
09-01-20, 20:21
I'm gonna throw out a tie... the Dickbrake (no shit, a muzzle brake made to look like a trouserwurst) and the Tac-Sac "grip." Everything else may or may not have a niche, but those two take the whole frickin' taco bar and then go back for a platter of enchiladas.

Even those KNS pins have a niche for polymer frames, but then again a plastic 80% is the FP45 Liberator of the AR15 world, best seen as cheap and disposable.

RUTGERS95
09-01-20, 21:15

winner

Disciple
09-01-20, 21:44
Parts or accessories any color other than black or DT. The pink girl shit is the worst closely followed by zombi green!

This is awesome. :p

https://i.postimg.cc/zGWxn3H5/1591450092858-jpg-1449225-JPG.jpg

3 AE
09-02-20, 07:09
brass catchers. never used one, only read about them and was laughing as soon as I saw that there was such a thing

those dragon shaped muzzle devices that are supposed to throw a bigger fire ball

And don't forget the NCstar golf ball launcher

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ncstar-ar-15-golf-ball-launcher?a=502765

I wouldn't have believed it had you not posted the link. Though it does have that cool suppressor look for those Facebook photo-ops! Hmmm.... anybody here have an in-stock source for Lake City 5.56 M200 blank ammo? :cool:

uffdaphil
09-02-20, 07:59
I’m going to add two mil-spec parts that are so outdated they are just wastes of metal. The standard charging handle. A ton of ambis or the single latch Gunfighter are so much easier to use. And the straight trigger guard. Fine if you never plan to wear gloves.

I hate paying for parts that just go in the trash because they have no resale value. I kinda want to include waffle stocks and A2 grips, but some folks like them and not less functional. I wish every AR came with option selections like those from Centurion Arms.

Hank6046
09-02-20, 08:09
I’m going to add two mil-spec parts that are so outdated they are just wastes of metal. The standard charging handle. A ton of ambis or the single latch Gunfighter are so much easier to use. And the straight trigger guard. Fine if you never plan to wear gloves.

I hate paying for parts that just go in the trash because they have no resale value. I kinda want to include waffle stocks and A2 grips, but some folks like them and not less functional. I wish every AR came with option selections like those from Centurion Arms.

Good points. It's amazing how far we've come in with this weapon system in the last 20 years.

09-02-20, 10:02
KAK flash cans.
Super 42.
Any mag that isn’t a PMAG or aluminum.
JP SCS.
Barrels less than 10”, for supersonic cartridges.

That's a tough one, because there are so many.

I'd say KNS pins are at the top.

Followed extremely closely by:

Titanium anything
Adjustable gas blocks
NP3 anything (But it "wipes off easily"...ok?)
Chinese optics
Visible lasers
Railed gas blocks
Binary triggers
Pistol braces
Redimag Carriers (YES - EVEN IF ITS ALUMINUM @DOCSHERM)
Offset iron sights

KNS pins are useful if you have a gamer trigger that does not retain pins on its own. I have no idea why they would be built that way, but it exists. They also get used on 9mm guns pretty commonly, but I don’t know if they are actually of benefit.

Adjustable gas is obviously nice for suppressors, and gamer guns. I’m still undecided on if any of them are good enough to take seriously, though.

Pistol braces are useful for reasons that I’m sure you know.

I effing hate Redi-mags.

Offset irons are a perfectly valid backup plan.

I should note that VG6 Gamma muzzle brakes (in 5.56mm and 300 BLK variety ) can be bought with a separate and removeable cage device to control the beast. So blast on / blast off can be obtained in mere moments....
I can confirm that the new Halo-style adapter from Griffin fits on the VG6 brake. I’ll mount one and try it out sometime this month, probably.

Snip.... I know you have an NP3 BCG and run it hard, and it cleans easily.

Laziness. My cans blow dry my BCG fairly quickly. I also live somewhere humid and shoot rain or shine. So my stuff gets condensation constantly, if not outright wet. Parked BCG’s start showing surface rust fast if I don’t take care of them weekly.

Dr. Bullseye
09-02-20, 12:27
I bitch about this subject almost every time I post here so I'm just sitting back and enjoying all this. I will say I have spent some money in the past, on some of these failed items so I am not holding myself out as someone who knew it all.

Screw it, I can't help myself:

Keymod, M lock (or whatever) and all the overheating quad rails.
All the attachments, do-dads, mounts, sling mounts, that just wiggle off with heat or hard use.
Rodeo-type slings
Green lasers, they are just not worth the weight/snag on everything
Binary triggers

Any device which you have to "learn" and so takes away from your shooting focus.

Anything made by a manufacturer whose name you can't pronounce the first time.

Hexxus
09-02-20, 12:44
Strike Industries is trying real hard to be the one to have the top gimmick of the year, every year. Other than that, BAD levers, dude.

Hank6046
09-02-20, 12:54
I bitch about this subject almost every time I post here so I'm just sitting back and enjoying all this. I will say I have spent some money in the past, on some of these failed items so I am not holding myself out as someone who knew it all.

Totally agree. I had a billet lower that had been customized with an old unit logo and I paid way too much for it. Put in a cheap drop in trigger and KNS pins. It was my second AR and I thought I knew what I was doing. I put on a magpul miad grip and thought I built the worlds greatest gun. The grip was extremely hard to screw in and my idiot self thought that it was because they made the tolerances so tight. A few months later the K2 grip came out and needed to have it. Long story short, the company that physically made the lower messed up the grip screw angle and I stripped it out trying to put on the K2. I placed loctite on the Pins and ended up stripping out the heads of the walking pins. Probably $400 down the drain.

G19A3
09-02-20, 20:11
Why are RediMags so demonized, when every one recommends the shotgun side saddle? Don't they provide similar features to the respective weapon they are mounted to, with the similar amount of space and thickness?

MJinPA
09-02-20, 20:22
BAD levers are at the top of my list. I see zero benefits and every time I pick up a rifle with one I’m confused by the thing hanging where it’s not supposed to be.

On the flip side. The bootleg adjustable carrier has proven to be the smartest upgrade I’ve used. Much more versatile than AGB or swapping buffers/springs to tune for suppressed/not wolf/hand loads to 556 etc.

09-02-20, 20:22
Why are RediMags so demonized, when every one recommends the shotgun side saddle? Don't they provide similar features to the respective weapon they are mounted to, with the similar amount of space and thickness? 3 reasons: shotguns hold little ammo. Some users desire to have buck in the tube, slugs on the stock, or something like that. Working shotguns tend to live in a car until needed, so weight is not a big issue.

Carry an M4 with a Redi-mag all day, everyday, and actually shoot it 60 rounds in a row rarely, and you may learn to hate them. Or not. Some guys like them.

jesuvuah
09-02-20, 20:26
Why are RediMags so demonized, when every one recommends the shotgun side saddle? Don't they provide similar features to the respective weapon they are mounted to, with the similar amount of space and thickness?Probably because a shotgun usually holds 5-8 rds and needs to be loaded 1 rd at a time so having some close by can be worth it.

The AR on the other hand, having mags can be reloaded extremly fast from a mag on your person. Or you could couple mags or use a 40 rd mag or a d60 rd drum mag.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

CRAMBONE
09-02-20, 21:21
I like Redi-mags. There I said it. I don’t have them on every rifle and only used/use it on one rifle. I like them for one specific reason: in case we had to do a dynamic bail out or cross load or my team outside had to bring my rifle inside, and the rig got left in the truck I had at least 2 mags with my rifle.

MistWolf
09-02-20, 21:57
Binary triggers

Binary triggers are only the second most useless gimmick for an AR. The most useless is the full auto trigger.

No... I take that back the most useless is the three round burst trigger.

I don't care. The binary trigger is the second most entertaining gimmick for an AR. The most entertaining is the full auto trigger. Both are great fun turning money into noise.

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-02-20, 22:07
Those vertical foregrips that held a knife were pretty lame.

The Ryker Fist grip is equally stupid.

Anything Chinese. Fight me poors.

Safety lever with the tritium insert for people who can't feel the condition of their rifle in the dark.

Those little rubber stickers that people put on the deflector to keep it from getting chewed up from the ejected brass.

There's more but that's all I can think of for now.

Firefly
09-02-20, 22:37
3 point slings
Redi-Mags (yeah you heard me)
Vanity dust covers
99% of the Chris Costa era of Magpul stuff (BAD levers and other dumb shit)
Anything Chinese
Grip pods

Disciple
09-02-20, 22:45
Anything Chinese. Fight me poors.

So it's class warfare now? :p

militarymoron
09-02-20, 23:05
Those little rubber stickers that people put on the deflector to keep it from getting chewed up from the ejected brass.

I put a rubber sticker on my first rubber sticker to keep it from getting chewed up.

The_War_Wagon
09-02-20, 23:13
I'll reply slightly off key and say the most COMMONLY SEEN POS is the BAD Lever.

Definitely.

KNS pins DO serve a function, though.

They make Anderson lowers USABLE! :jester:

Mysteryman
09-02-20, 23:21
Mag grips(the magazine well grips that is)
Offset irons
BAD levers
Accu wedge
Ryker grip was a ****ing disaster
Thumb trigger
Cross bolt safety
Gas pedal/rocker style safety
Rail mounted bottle opener

Hammer_Man
09-02-20, 23:46
Anything made by Timber Creek.

chef8489
09-03-20, 00:49
Someone mentioned kns pins. I use a set on my g2s trigger because I dont like the c clip geissele provides.

Flair launchers are pretty stupid.
arm braces are people just trying to skirt the law.
bump stocks are pretty stupid
bianary triggers
Offset Irons I agree with
anything Chinese made.
that chin stock is retarded
visible lasers except when on nv laser device used to zero.

AndyLate
09-03-20, 06:39
arm braces are people just trying to skirt the law.

Braces don't allow me to skirt the law, they allow me to nullify it through non-compliance. No more paying the $200 tax to own a SBR, marking the lower receiver, or begging permission to take the NFA weapon out of state. I can give or sell my AR pistol to another citizen - try that with a NFA weapon.

Andy

jpmuscle
09-03-20, 06:58
Tax stamps.

okie
09-03-20, 09:07
Gotta be the gucci charging handles. The engineers at Armalite spent a lot of time trying to engineer the most low profile charging handle possible, because you don't really use it, and what do people do? They go and find all kinds of ways to make it as snaggy as possible. And don't even get me started on side chargers...

MikhailBarracuda91
09-03-20, 09:11
UID label

(even tho I literally ordered one last night to complete a clone build lmao)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
09-03-20, 09:15
224 Valkyrie
6mm ARC
6.5mm Grendel
6.8mm SPC
300 BLK/300 Whisper
350 Legend
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
50 Beowulf

:jester:

Grand58742
09-03-20, 09:28
Iconel gas tubes.

Diamondback
09-03-20, 10:05
Iconel gas tubes.

Not just useless but dangerous if what I've read is right; supposedly, Stoner designed the gas tube as a "sacrificial part" meant to blow out rather than have the rest of the rifle kB! in extremis.

IF that's correct, "useless" would be a zero and Inconel GT's a MINUS.

Grand58742
09-03-20, 10:15
Not just useless but dangerous if what I've read is right; supposedly, Stoner designed the gas tube as a "sacrificial part" meant to blow out rather than have the rest of the rifle kB! in extremis.

IF that's correct, "useless" would be a zero and Inconel GT's a MINUS.

I was looking at price. Normal gas tube runs about $10. The Iconel ones run about $70.

And how often do gas tubes wear out?

09-03-20, 10:42
224 Valkyrie
6mm ARC
6.5mm Grendel
6.8mm SPC
300 BLK/300 Whisper
350 Legend
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
50 Beowulf

:jester:

I noticed that 375 SOCOM is not on your list. GTG, right?

And how often do gas tubes wear out? I can’t recall ever seeing or hearing of one wearing out until that youtube guy tried to melt a gun.

Grand58742
09-03-20, 11:41
I can’t recall ever seeing or hearing of one wearing out until that youtube guy tried to melt a gun.

I mean, I'd assume they wear out over time, but I'd tend to think over years if not decades of limited firing schedules.

JediGuy
09-03-20, 12:17
Mag grips(the magazine well grips that is)
Offset irons
BAD levers
Accu wedge
Ryker grip was a ****ing disaster
Thumb trigger
Cross bolt safety
Gas pedal/rocker style safety
Rail mounted bottle opener

I need to know what a “thumb trigger” is

wetidlerjr
09-03-20, 12:32
I need to know what a “thumb trigger” is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQFAAksfRg8&ab_channel=WeLikeShooting

MontanaMarine
09-03-20, 12:48
The dildo launcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BGJWyd2wN0

jbjh
09-03-20, 13:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQFAAksfRg8&ab_channel=WeLikeShooting

Well, Jack Ruby would be happy, but he’s dead.

Sent from 80ms in the future

jbjh
09-03-20, 13:38
This is up there -

https://f5mfg.com/product/soda-can-launcher/

But if it shot tennis balls like the old ones we made using tennis ball cans and firecrackers, I can’t say I wouldn’t be tempted.

TomMcC
09-03-20, 19:03
The dildo launcher.

Gee, nothing wrong with those guys at all.

Grand58742
09-03-20, 19:11
The dildo launcher.

That is 85 seconds of my life I will never get back...

Mysteryman
09-03-20, 19:28
Already posted.

kirkland
09-03-20, 21:58
This is up there -

https://f5mfg.com/product/soda-can-launcher/

But if it shot tennis balls like the old ones we made using tennis ball cans and firecrackers, I can’t say I wouldn’t be tempted.

Ok not gonna lie, I want one of those

MountainRaven
09-03-20, 22:16
I noticed that 375 SOCOM is not on your list. GTG, right?

So useful and gimmick-free that I didn't even know it existed.

I would like to update my previous list:

224 Valkyrie
6mm ARC
6.5mm Grendel
6.8mm SPC
300 BLK/300 Whisper
350 Legend
375 SOCOM
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
50 Beowulf

ColtSeavers
09-03-20, 22:51
I don't know about anyone else, but I think that dildo launcher would be the best non lethal crowd control ever.

Could you imagine having to explain the bruises and video from getting hit with that?!

VLODPG
09-04-20, 04:13
Braces don't allow me to skirt the law, they allow me to nullify it through non-compliance. No more paying the $200 tax to own a SBR, marking the lower receiver, or begging permission to take the NFA weapon out of state. I can give or sell my AR pistol to another citizen - try that with a NFA weapon.

Andy

Truth Andy!

TomPenguin5145
09-04-20, 04:45
For the NP3 coatings. Yes. They work without them. I find that it does allow me to use less lube which is nice in the -20, -30 degree winter weather. Somethings might be dependent on the situation in which the rifle is used.

AndyLate
09-04-20, 05:14

224 Valkyrie
6mm ARC
6.5mm Grendel
6.8mm SPC
300 BLK/300 Whisper
350 Legend
375 SOCOM
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
50 Beowulf

I'm just glad to see the 6x45 is legitimate :)

Andy

09-04-20, 06:06
I'm just glad to see the 6x45 is legitimate :)

Andy

And more importantly, the 6x35! Hey, Jack, Mountainraven said that 6x35 is legit.... can you get KAC to sell me the PDW now?

nick84
09-04-20, 07:27
I wanna say the grippod is the thing I hated the most when I first saw it. I was issued one and returned it later still in the bag. But I did see people use them....so, perhaps not entirely a gimmick?

The absolutely most useless nonsense and bullshit gimmick going now are the lowers with the magwell reshaped to look like skulls / aliens / dinosaur cocks / whatever. No one can change my mind on this.

MontanaMarine
09-04-20, 09:58
I don't know about anyone else, but I think that dildo launcher would be the best non lethal crowd control ever.

Could you imagine having to explain the bruises and video from getting hit with that?!

I could envision a line of officers firing a volley of dildos into the crowd. Then the crowd hurling them back at the police line as the subsequent volleys add more projectiles to the fray.

I just don't know if either side could maintain their 'war face'...….grin.

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-04-20, 10:08

Antifa is used to getting slapped in the face with dildos. They'd open up and catch them in their mouths like they're at a Hibachi restaurant catching food the chef throws to them.

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-04-20, 10:09

Andy

You're still in compliance with the NFA by using a pistol brace.

Grand58742
09-04-20, 10:17

224 Valkyrie
6mm ARC
6.5mm Grendel
6.8mm SPC
300 BLK/300 Whisper
350 Legend
375 SOCOM
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
50 Beowulf

Don't really want to get into the debate necessarily, but most of the calibers you've mentioned do have a role and enhance the overall AR platform. Most are niche calibers, but do serve their purpose in intended roles. Especially those that have been around over a decade like the 6.5G, 6.8, .450 and .458 and .300.

Facing facts, the AR platform (in both -10 or -15 models) has replaced the bolt action in all but a few categories. More calibers means more mainstream and more mainstream means wider acceptance.

Grand58742
09-04-20, 10:21
I would like to add any muzzle device that either looks like a medieval torture implement or is shaped like a dragon's head or unicorn ass or whatever should be melted down for soup cans or something along those lines.

AndyLate
09-04-20, 11:18
I thought the idea of a grip pod made sense until I picked up a used one cheap. Like the "salad tong" M-16 unit, they are great for propping up the gun when you set it on the ground (and I guess for spending hours in the prone), but a poor substitute for a real bipod. The grip pods are also a couple inches too long when collapsed and a couple ounces too heavy all the time.

Andy

Diamondback
09-04-20, 11:24
Most useless AR accessory? I'm gonna up the ante and say many of the tools buying them thinking they're some kind of "magical talisman to ward off evil" without putting any thought into HOW to employ them if they're needed.

Such people should get a tube of K-Y included with their purchase "so it'll hurt less when Mr. BG rams it up your fourth point of contact"... and while I have to cop to not having anywhere near as much trigger-time on the range as anyone here would deem Acceptable Minimum and studying the Marksmanship manual is a very poor substitute, at least that and dry-fire help lay foundations which is more than many of these bozos do.

robbins290
09-04-20, 12:15
I was looking at price. Normal gas tube runs about $10. The Iconel ones run about $70.

And how often do gas tubes wear out?

Not sure, but i always put a new one in when i replace the barrel. So would say at least 20k rounds. I do not do mag dumps so my barrels last a tad longer.

09-04-20, 12:54
Not sure, but i always put a new one in when i replace the barrel. So would say at least 20k rounds. I do not do mag dumps so my barrels last a tad longer.

I usually can’t get it out of the block by then, unless I really, really want to. Same applies for getting the block off the barrel

robbins290
09-04-20, 13:00
I agree, always ends up changing them all. Bolt included also.

scottcc
09-04-20, 13:16
Most useless AR accessory? I'm gonna up the ante and say many of the tools buying them thinking they're some kind of "magical talisman to ward off evil" without putting any thought into HOW to employ them if they're needed.

Such people should get a tube of K-Y included with their purchase "so it'll hurt less when Mr. BG rams it up your fourth point of contact"... and while I have to cop to not having anywhere near as much trigger-time on the range as anyone here would deem Acceptable Minimum and studying the Marksmanship manual is a very poor substitute, at least that and dry-fire help lay foundations which is more than many of these bozos do.

Yep, not all of us are as gifted as Rittenhouse. I hope the justice system treats him fairly.

Grand58742
09-04-20, 14:13

That's reasonable.

GTF425
09-04-20, 15:12
your fourth point of contact"...

Quoting for appreciation.

Diamondback
09-04-20, 15:34
Quoting for appreciation.

Building on that, such people should insist on a lo-pro gas block and the skinniest no-rail handguard possible, ONLY run ten-round shorty mags and a FAB folding grip to make the lowest-profile suppository possible; also, make sure there are no tines on the FH.

09-04-20, 15:59
4th POC? WTF comes after feet, ass, head?

Diamondback
09-04-20, 16:07

Back in the day, local talk-show host and Guardsman Bryan Suits usd "4th POC" to refer to the tuchus, IIRC referring to a Parachute Landing Fall.

hotrodder636
09-04-20, 18:08
You sir, have won the internet for the day!

Antifa is used to getting slapped in the face with dildos. They'd open up and catch them in their mouths like they're at a Hibachi restaurant catching food the chef throws to them.

GTF425
09-04-20, 19:25

DZ rash from getting dragged.

ColtSeavers
09-04-20, 21:20
We have how many Veterans here and no one's heard of fourth point of contact? How about 'Safety third!'?

PracticalRifleman
09-04-20, 21:38
Holosun optics and Olight WMLs. Oh, and the Chinesium BUIS and aluminum China brakes. Combine those things, as you usually will, with a bump stock or binary trigger and you’re G2G.

26 Inf
09-05-20, 01:37

Yeah, that's about right. After about 15 jumps I quit trying and just steered her into a right-side kind of PLF'ish thing. Worked for me.

26 Inf
09-05-20, 01:47
We have how many Veterans here and no one's heard of fourth point of contact? How about 'Safety third!'?

The actual PLF is 1) balls of feet; 2) calf; 3) thigh; 4) buttocks; 5) lat

I've had a couple of DZSO's who must have been safety third adherents when it came to wind readings. 'Winds calm' my ass.

09-05-20, 02:12
Skeletonized metal grips

DZ rash from getting dragged.
Hahaha.

Yeah, that's about right. After about 15 jumps I quit trying and just steered her into a right-side kind of PLF'ish thing. Worked for me.
MC 6 helped greatly for me. I never really had much problem with PLFs, but there were a few times I wanted to climb the risers trying to avoid obstacles, like vehicles on airfields. Seems like the wind always shifted just wrong with the T10.

doubletap
09-05-20, 07:38

I think the benefit an np3 BCG offers over a parked one is the ease of cleaning. If you feel that benefit justifies the cost then I don’t see it being gimmicky.

Mysteryman
09-05-20, 11:58
I think the benefit an np3 BCG offers over a parked one is the ease of cleaning. If you feel that benefit justifies the cost then I don’t see it being gimmicky.

If the benefit isn't related to durability, reliability, or performance, its a gimmick.

09-05-20, 13:34
If the benefit isn't related to durability, reliability, or performance, its a gimmick.

I dunno man. Depends on priorities. Lotsa people prefer glass top stoves. Do they offer any advantage beyond ease of cleaning? Are they a gimmick? If somebody believes in their gun being clean, then NP3 will make that happen more quickly.

As I said before, my reason for using NP3 is corrosion resistance. That probably falls under durability.

GTF425
09-05-20, 13:48

Pray you
Land
Fine

MC 6 helped greatly for me.

<Puttin' On The Ritz>

One of my jumps in Alaska, we had received heavy snow for weeks. Some parts of the DZ were over my waist in soft powder while heading to the chute turn in.

But as I came in to land, I lowered my equipment as normal. As soon as I touched the "ground", I kinda just gently glided in to the snow and was barely even leaning when I came to a stop. But- I looked out and my lowering line just disappeared in to a perfectly punched out hole in the snow that my now buried ruck and 1950 were in. The satisfaction of a great landing quickly turned into about 10 minutes of debating if the $150/month is actually worth it or not while digging my shit out.

Vegas
09-05-20, 14:26
Came here to reinforce the skull lower garbage with a picture when I found this searching for one..... there are no words.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/185723/929341058/wm_8415244.jpg

But while I'm at, figured I would torture you all further...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/image_451a01ab-55db-4e0b-a1da-970bb16ed24f_grande.jpg

09-05-20, 16:22
I almost forgot. Anything with a skull, punisher logo, or similarly cringey crap.

One of my jumps in Alaska, we had received heavy snow for weeks. Some parts of the DZ were over my waist in soft powder while heading to the chute turn in.

But as I came in to land, I lowered my equipment as normal. As soon as I touched the "ground", I kinda just gently glided in to the snow and was barely even leaning when I came to a stop. But- I looked out and my lowering line just disappeared in to a perfectly punched out hole in the snow that my now buried ruck and 1950 were in. The satisfaction of a great landing quickly turned into about 10 minutes of debating if the $150/month is actually worth it or not while digging my shit out.

When I was a cherry private, I had a landing in a nice soft spot in a swamp after being blown off the DZ one night. I had a brief moment of happiness due to such a soft landing. Wasn’t even upset about getting wet. Unfortunately, I was instructed prior to this jump to place my chute in a trash bag, then into the kit bag. And there was no way I was going to fail to comply, lest my teamleader (who had the next barracks room over from me) make my life a living hell. So, needless to say, humping a huge trash bag full of water on top of my already heavy (mortar baseplate) ruck to the actual DZ and then AA, really really sucked.

Steve-0-
09-05-20, 17:29
Came here to reinforce the skull lower garbage with a picture when I found this searching for one..... there are no words.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/185723/929341058/wm_8415244.jpg

But while I'm at, figured I would torture you all further...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/image_451a01ab-55db-4e0b-a1da-970bb16ed24f_grande.jpg

LMAO!!! I had a customer a couple years ago bring in a carbine with that exact lower and rail. It was such a piece of shit.

AndyLate
09-05-20, 20:05
LMAO!!! I had a customer a couple years ago bring in a carbine with that exact lower and rail. It was such a piece of shit.

The concept was popular enough that Burris made a "skull tac" version of the 1-4x M-Tac.

Andy

ColtSeavers
09-05-20, 20:08
Anyone remember the Zombie craze?

Biohazard optic reticles, neon green everything, zombie everything?

AndyLate
09-05-20, 20:41

Good times ;)

PracticalRifleman
09-05-20, 22:21
I dunno man. Depends on priorities. Lotsa people prefer glass top stoves. Do they offer any advantage beyond ease of cleaning? Are they a gimmick? If somebody believes in their gun being clean, then NP3 will make that happen more quickly.

As I said before, my reason for using NP3 is corrosion resistance. That probably falls under durability.

When was the last time you saw a corroded BCG?

Vegas
09-05-20, 22:57

Oh lord, both together?! I am surprised it didn't create a rupture in the space time continuum, lol.

https://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/3753222.jpg

D_M
09-05-20, 22:57
The Fist Grip

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c6/43/2c/c6432c9ddc3e9b64a8a11f9c05efd1ff.jpg

09-05-20, 23:27
When was the last time you saw a corroded BCG?

Last week.

PracticalRifleman
09-06-20, 09:12
Last week.

Yours or somebody else’s? From what I’ve seen many of the NP3 bolts will flake.

09-06-20, 10:13
Yours or somebody else’s? From what I’ve seen many of the NP3 bolts will flake.

Mine. LMT phosphate carrier.

ChattanoogaPhil
09-06-20, 10:19
Normally I agree, but the wife wants hers color matched and never questions what buy or price so its a small sacrifice to make. Come to think of it the only time she's ever said anything gun related in chewing my a$$ if I trade a gun.

Don't feel alone. The wife insisted on an NP3 BCG to match the stainless barrel on her rifle. Yeah... I know.

hotrodder636
09-06-20, 10:23
Skeletonized upper/lower receiver set, the ones F1 makes.

ChattanoogaPhil
09-06-20, 10:36

IIRC, the EOTech Zombie Stopper was introduced a couple year before it was revealed that EOTech was providing optics to the military that did not perform to spec.

The Zombie Stopper reticle: "Save your brain"

https://i.imgur.com/XdMPowI.png

Diamondback
09-06-20, 10:40

One good thing about it, the zombie-green plastic 80%'s on clearance made cheap practice blanks, and for any successfully made usable Krylon is cheap. :)

PracticalRifleman
09-06-20, 10:46
Mine. LMT phosphate carrier.

You should post up a few pics. In what ways was function impeded? Like I said, the NP3s seem to flake from what I’ve seen which would seem more of an issue.

09-06-20, 10:47
Skeletonized upper/lower receiver set, the ones F1 makes.Imagine the joy of shooting that suppressed

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

09-06-20, 11:02
You should post up a few pics. In what ways was function impeded? Like I said, the NP3s seem to flake from what I’ve seen which would seem more of an issue.

I absolutely suck at posting pics, but I’m not sure why anyone would be surprised that steel can rust in humid, rainy environments. Function has not been impeded, but I find myself “cleaning” and relubricating more often than I would like to resist the spread of cancer. Bolt in that carrier is whatever coating LMT uses to make it shiny and silvery, and its a non issue.

All of my NP3 stuff is Sionics and FCD, and they require less maintenance to resist cancer. I’ve not had any flaking problems that I can see.

I’ll be shooting this evening, in the rain; are y’all? Do you use a suppressor?

PracticalRifleman
09-06-20, 11:10
I absolutely suck at posting pics, but I’m not sure why anyone would be surprised that steel can rust in humid, rainy environments. Function has not been impeded, but I find myself “cleaning” and relubricating more often than I would like to resist the spread of cancer. Bolt in that carrier is whatever coating LMT uses to make it shiny and silvery, and its a non issue.

All of my NP3 stuff is Sionics and FCD, and they require less maintenance to resist cancer. I’ve not had any flaking problems that I can see.

I’ll be shooting this evening, in the rain; are y’all? Do you use a suppressor?

Yes, I shoot suppressed about 50% of the time. I live in a very hot and humid environment and often shoot and hunt in the rain.

It’s not a matter of being surprised that metal rusts, but it doesn’t seem to be a part of the rifle which it’s common or is known to cause problems. I have no qualm with somebody wanting to avoid problems. It’s simply a problem I haven’t seen personally, but the flaking I have. Maybe those company were much better at QC then those I’ve been experienced with.

pointblank4445
09-06-20, 11:41
The biggest scale and most far-reaching gimmick has to be the op-rod piston AR concept...with HK leading that charge with their average value $4k gray market uppers now reaching into the $6-8k realm. Freaking ridiculous how far that gimmick has gone.

The short-barreled 416 being the best-case scenario was merely a deference of the shortcomings of the MK18 to proprietary parts and a whole other sets of long-term problems to patch the shorter (but cheaper) lives of the Mk18's.

And while the upper internals do remain cooler/cleaner, the actual operational advantage of that is extremely limited in practice (i.e. Pressburg's ARbuildjunkie account on cleaning the 416 overseas), it had been surmised but some industry leaders that the beneficial attributes of the 416 may not be in the operating system but actually in the modern outlook of producing an AR such as new alloys, coatings and mfg. techniques. (Ironic given y'all have turned this into a BCG coating purse fight).

Aside from the generally successful 416, a legion of copycats and fly-by-night piston uppers/kits followed suit and convinced tons of potential consumers that the AR15 "shits where it eats" and is woefully insufficient even for the casual user. While the piston craze has dwindled, it still exists.

Pound for pound...op-rod piston AR's is the king daddy of gimmicks.

chef8489
09-06-20, 16:02
The biggest scale and most far-reaching gimmick has to be the op-rod piston AR concept...with HK leading that charge with their average value $4k gray market uppers now reaching into the $6-8k realm. Freaking ridiculous how far that gimmick has gone.

The short-barreled 416 being the best-case scenario was merely a deference of the shortcomings of the MK18 to proprietary parts and a whole other sets of long-term problems to patch the shorter (but cheaper) lives of the Mk18's.

And while the upper internals do remain cooler/cleaner, the actual operational advantage of that is extremely limited in practice (i.e. Pressburg's ARbuildjunkie account on cleaning the 416 overseas), it had been surmised but some industry leaders that the beneficial attributes of the 416 may not be in the operating system but actually in the modern outlook of producing an AR such as new alloys, coatings and mfg. techniques. (Ironic given y'all have turned this into a BCG coating purse fight).

Aside from the generally successful 416, a legion of copycats and fly-by-night piston uppers/kits followed suit and convinced tons of potential consumers that the AR15 "shits where it eats" and is woefully insufficient even for the casual user. While the piston craze has dwindled, it still exists.

Well HK was approached by SOCOM and the hk 416 was built in partner with them for a reason. Those being maritime operations. Not having to worry about the gas tube filling with water. I am sure there were other reasons. But whether or not the civillian market really needed it and at the price is debatable. I would say 99.9% of the civillian population would never see a difference in daily operation from a traditional ar and a piston.

pointblank4445
09-06-20, 16:52
Well HK was approached by SOCOM and the hk 416 was built in partner with them for a reason. Those being maritime operations. Not having to worry about the gas tube filling with water. I am sure there were other reasons. But whether or not the civillian market really needed it and at the price is debatable. I would say 99.9% of the civillian population would never see a difference in daily operation from a traditional ar and a piston.

Yeah...we've all seen the scuba Steve video. I'm very familiar with the inner workings of the 416...and worked with them for the better part of 12 years.

Depending on who you talk to on the Army side of JSOC, it was more to do with the short lifespan of the Mk18 and having the ability to train up with and deploy with the same gun.

Mechanically speaking, In order to counter the effects of the op rod, several modifications and proprietary parts had to be used to band-aid the op-rod's dynamics to AR's in-line geometry. Even then, disconnector breakage and bolt lug shear was not uncommon in suppressed 10.4's. Embracing the 416 system is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. At one time, it gave one considerably longer service life but once it reached the end, you were screwed. Cracked receivers under the barrel nut were found (assuming you could get a replacement barrel) among other issues that like every other small arm has slowly been tweaked along the way. Today's most modern A7 (or whatever they're up to now) has addressed several things found wrong with the original 416's fielded by US special operations.

It's not coincidence that several have gone back to a more well-defined DI variant that's much more easily serviced for the long game. The OTB and clean/dry upper is an extremely narrow benefit margin for the financial and logistical costs incurred by the platform.

556BlackRifle
09-07-20, 11:37

I think you may have confused NP3 with NIB. NIB is notorious for flaking. I have a couple Sionics BCGs with NP3 and they're G2G IMO.

kyjd75
09-07-20, 12:50
Yeah...we've all seen the scuba Steve video. I'm very familiar with the inner workings of the 416...and worked with them for the better part of 12 years.

Depending on who you talk to on the Army side of JSOC, it was more to do with the short lifespan of the Mk18 and having the ability to train up with and deploy with the same gun.

Mechanically speaking, In order to counter the effects of the op rod, several modifications and proprietary parts had to be used to band-aid the op-rod's dynamics to AR's in-line geometry. Even then, disconnector breakage and bolt lug shear was not uncommon in suppressed 10.4's. Embracing the 416 system is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. At one time, it gave one considerably longer service life but once it reached the end, you were screwed. Cracked receivers under the barrel nut were found (assuming you could get a replacement barrel) among other issues that like every other small arm has slowly been tweaked along the way. Today's most modern A7 (or whatever they're up to now) has addressed several things found wrong with the original 416's fielded by US special operations.

It's not coincidence that several have gone back to a more well-defined DI variant that's much more easily serviced for the long game. The OTB and clean/dry upper is an extremely narrow benefit margin for the financial and logistical costs incurred by the platform.

Whereas the US Marine Corps has now gone almost exclusively with the HK 416 piston system (M27).

pointblank4445
09-07-20, 14:11
Whereas the US Marine Corps has now gone almost exclusively with the HK 416 piston system (M27).

They fielded Serpa holsters and the M45A1 as well...your point being? Funny how HK drastically reduced the service intervals for the M27 compared to the older 416 intervals.

I also see they want to turn it in to a DMR with the M38. Interesting choice as the M27 barreled upper I had rarely shot much under 2MOA even with Black Hills 77gr. The bitch of that configuration is that given the location of the bleed-off valve pushing hot gas forward onto the exposed barrel and the shorter 11" quad rail, mirage/heat coming off the barrel becomes a big problem REALLY fast. I found that a 14" Geissele or RAHG was required to subdue mirage when using any sort of optic over 4x power for any type of precision... But then again, it may not be a problem with that old Leupold they've got on it.

But hey...WTF do I know?

JoshNC
09-07-20, 22:19

Amen. Preach it!

SilverBear
09-07-20, 22:24

I think some dentist invented that to drum up business! :cool: