PDA

View Full Version : GSight Dry Fire Laser Review

WillBrink
09-03-20, 10:23
I got the 9mm version. All in all it performs as advertised. Considering current covid situations, access to ranges, cost of ammo, etc, I thought this would be an effective tool for dry fire work. An app on your phone tracks the hits made from the laser device put in the chamber of a pistol. Takes some fiddling to get it all working as intended, and the app has some good directions on it as some the web site (1), but once you get the set up right, it works well enough.

A also purchased the phone holder as have several camera tripods and that works well.

It does allow you to practice some things some ranges - indoor ranges specifically - don't always allow, such as drawing from the holster, and or drawing from concealment and such, so that alone is a win I thought.

The app allows you to scroll to see where each of your shots landed one at a time in a 10 shot group, so that allows you to see how your grouping developed.

Criticisms are all minor, like I can't seem to figure out how to get out of the app once it's open and end up rebooting the phone to close it. I gotta figure that one out. They may want to include a wooden dowel or plastic rod for removal of the laser device in the chamber. Someone might use a screwdriver or something and scrape up the barrel or damage the device, or at least tell people to use only soft objects made of wood and such to remove it. I know this ages me, but it was not immediately apparent where I was suppose to download the app. I found it on the Google Play store, but on the instructions in the box it should say something like "before you start, go download the app at ..." kinda deal. Some of us are just not that app savvy.

As i said, all minor stuff a little tweaking would solve and I'd conclude this is an excellent product for enhancing dry fire practice, especially due to current issues mentioned above.

1: https://www.g-sight.com/

SteyrAUG
09-04-20, 14:29
So dumb question, I assume this is some kind of DOA device?

Disciple
09-04-20, 15:46
So dumb question, I assume this is some kind of DOA device?

I can match your dumb question: what's a DOA device?

WillBrink thanks for the review. Those look useful in these days.

SteyrAUG
09-05-20, 01:43
I can match your dumb question: what's a DOA device?

WillBrink thanks for the review. Those look useful in these days.

Double action ONLY, meaning it needs to be in something like a SIG or Beretta because it's firing pin activated. If not and it works in Single Action firearms like Glocks, I'm intrigued and want to know how it works.

WillBrink
09-05-20, 08:37
Double action ONLY, meaning it needs to be in something like a SIG or Beretta because it's firing pin activated. If not and it works in Single Action firearms like Glocks, I'm intrigued and want to know how it works.

Will work with either but in a Glock or my VP9 and such, you'll have re charge the striker each time. Good time to practice failure drills. :cool:

Disciple
09-05-20, 11:26
Double action ONLY

DAO then, not DOA.

SteyrAUG
09-05-20, 18:36
Will work with either but in a Glock or my VP9 and such, you'll have re charge the striker each time. Good time to practice failure drills. :cool:

So it is firing pin actuated yes?

DAO then, not DOA.

Ooops.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-05-20, 19:47
DIdn't someone review a system with a recoil/reset built in? I'm all for dry firing for trigger control, but I really don't want to get into the habit of slide manipulation after every shot. I know recoil won't be right, but at least getting the sights and slide to move to force reacquisition would be good. On the plus side, looks pretty cheap.

WillBrink
09-05-20, 21:56
So it is firing pin actuated yes?

Yes, firing pin hit's unit placed in the chamber that actuates the laser pulse and phone records it.

WillBrink
09-05-20, 22:02
DIdn't someone review a system with a recoil/reset built in? I'm all for dry firing for trigger control, but I really don't want to get into the habit of slide manipulation after every shot. I know recoil won't be right, but at least getting the sights and slide to move to force reacquisition would be good. On the plus side, looks pretty cheap.

There's a few different products out there, this the most cost effective I have seen. It's also simple and low tech compared to some others. Anythings that's gonna add slides to move and such to recreate more realistic experience will be expensive. I tend to practice that all important draw, presentation, site picture, pull trigger, repeat that. Reset trigger, do it again.