PDA

View Full Version : SBR question

kgj1119
11-10-06, 22:07
Now I live in Illinois and I know that you cant legally own an SBR, Well today i went to the local gun stor, and noticed that they are selling a SBR, but are selling it as a pistol. Only thing different i noticed was that it didnt have a collapsible stock. but did have a buffer spring tube. How is this possible, and is it legal to own one?

Kyrinn
11-10-06, 23:04
If there is no stock on the Receiver Extension, and if it is originally registered as a pistol receiver, then there is no Fed-violation. I can't say about IL. laws.

All AR Pistols (apart from certain Oly models) require the Receiver Extension, as it is part of the AR recoil system.

The BATFE has asked that individuals not have stock-capable Extensions and an unused stock body at the same location, but has decreed that both the A2 style as well as tele-stock Extensions are both technically legal (again, from a Federal standpoint).

The only real question regarding the item you saw at the store is how it was registered. If it is reg'd as Pistol, it is Kosher.

Hope that helps.