PDA

View Full Version : Chicken or veal saltimbocca

ABNAK
09-04-20, 20:13
Yeah, a break from the usual GD rantings!

For you culinary guys.....last night went to dinner at an Italian restaurant. I ordered the veal saltimbocca with a side of angel hair pasta. The whole thing had a dark brown "gravy" or sauce on it. It was freaking delicious! So my question is, after a little Googling, is the gravy/sauce used on saltimbocca basically a marsala one? I've had chicken marsala and this topping was similar but was darker and thicker.

Making up our grocery list for next week and would like to reproduce it. Input would be greatly appreciated.

Averageman
09-04-20, 20:25
And you post that on a day when I'm fasting.

ABNAK
09-04-20, 21:39
And you post that on a day when I'm fasting.

lol

Just savor the future possibilities!

Evel Baldgui
09-06-20, 20:56
VEAL ! Always select the veal....

SteyrAUG
09-06-20, 21:23
VEAL ! Always select the veal....

I have a philosophical objection to eating baby cows. I know where meat comes from, but domestic food stock should be permitted some kind of quality of life and longevity.

MAUSER202
09-07-20, 08:20
I make a version of it with chicken cutlet, a chicken breast cut and pounded in a way to make it as big and thin as possible. I season it, put a thin piece of prosciutto on it, sautéd spinach with fresh garlic, roasted red peppers and Asiago cheese. I roll it up, secure it with a tooth pick and brown it in a pan wish a little olive oil. After it’s browned (about 8-10 min) I add a little white whine and chicken stock and simmer for another 5 min. Cut it into little rolls or wheels and serve with some of the stock over it.

604flyer
09-07-20, 20:44
Dang Mauser you’re killing me! That sounds awesome. Veal saltimbocca is my favorite.

jbjh
09-08-20, 12:21
I make a version of it with chicken cutlet, a chicken breast cut and pounded in a way to make it as big and thin as possible. I season it, put a thin piece of prosciutto on it, sautéd spinach with fresh garlic, roasted red peppers and Asiago cheese. I roll it up, secure it with a tooth pick and brown it in a pan wish a little olive oil. After it’s browned (about 8-10 min) I add a little white whine and chicken stock and simmer for another 5 min. Cut it into little rolls or wheels and serve with some of the stock over it.

I do much the same with a nice big flank steak, but oven cook after sear and roll. Then I slice and sear the edges of the thicker inner pieces in a pan (not everyone appreciates their meat as rare as I do). And the drippings are amazing!

And totally stealing your recipe.

Sent from 80ms in the future

khc3
09-08-20, 19:20
I always have made veal and chicken saltimbocca with fresh sage leaves rolled in. Not sure if that’s authentic, but it was in the recipe I found years ago. I gather that fresh sage is kind of a love or hate thing. I like it. And a pan sauce like Mauser’s, finished with a few tablespoons of good butter. Makes it glossy.

NickySantoro
09-09-20, 12:20
I have a philosophical objection to eating baby cows. I know where meat comes from, but domestic food stock should be permitted some kind of quality of life and longevity.

This^. Look into the conditions under which they are raised and the diet they are fed to keep the meat pale. It's more like animal abuse than animal husbandry.

WickedWillis
09-09-20, 12:49

This^. Look into the conditions under which they are raised and the diet they are fed to keep the meat pale. It's more like animal abuse than animal husbandry.

Exactly. Veal is on another level of animal cruelty.

The answer is chicken.

ABNAK
09-09-20, 17:53
Really didn't mean to ignite a veal ethics debate, just inquiring about the saltimbocca gravy/sauce that can be used on either chicken or veal. Some sources say it is basically a marsala sauce, but the one I had last week was a little different.

flenna
09-09-20, 18:04
Really didn't mean to ignite a veal ethics debate, just inquiring about the saltimbocca gravy/sauce that can be used on either chicken or veal. Some sources say it is basically a marsala sauce, but the one I had last week was a little different.

Normally marsala is used but some variations use a dry white wine. The key ingredient in any saltimbocca dish, though, is prosciutto.

Diamondback
09-09-20, 19:27
Curse you jokers for firing up my Italian craving again... :( can't have my next lasagna until I break 185.

SteyrAUG
09-09-20, 22:38

Sorry, that was me.

I think as a meat for any sauce, chicken is the answer. Almost without exception beef should be steak and needs little more than salt and pepper, maybe some A1. Only the French ruin beef with a bunch of sauces.

If you taste veal as a stand alone meat against chicken, the answer is easy. Add in the moral consideration and the answer is easier.