PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in North Carolina want to go in and buy a range complex?

chuckman
09-06-20, 13:23
A 280ish-acre range complex just north of Jacksonville/Camp Lejeune is for sale, long distance range, pistol ranges, indoor shooting facilities, bunkhouse, CQB facility. $5.5 mil

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2900-White-Oak-River-Rd-Maysville-NC/20178551/

Alex V
09-06-20, 14:32
Friend of mine sent me this today saying the same thing but I’m like $5.5M shy of $5.5M lol

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-06-20, 15:44
Best I can do is about tree fiddy.

GH41
09-06-20, 15:51
The first thing I would do is have the land appraised as if the range were not there and consider the cost to have the lead removed. There are a thousand ways to have a range closed.. The most successful ways are contaminated water runoff and property that isn't large enough to contain a bullet that goes over the berm. 280 acres isn't very big.

mark5pt56
09-06-20, 18:07
I would start with a good accounting firm to review projected future income and past years income. State of the facilities infrastructure and any transferable contracts. Most likely, the books are "cooked" to make it appear to be a profitable operation and the infrastructure has been neglected. Look into operating cost and what business will be coming into the facility.

Campbell
09-06-20, 19:38
The first thing I would do is have the land appraised as if the range were not there and consider the cost to have the lead removed. There are a thousand ways to have a range closed.. The most successful ways are contaminated water runoff and property that isn't large enough to contain a bullet that goes over the berm. 280 acres isn't very big.

Gospel right here, read it twice.

georgeib
09-06-20, 21:38
$19.6k per acre seems awfully optimistic. The appraisal would look at the "highest and best use" of the land. Not sure what else is the area, but I have serious reservations that a shooting complex would command that sort of price per acre.

Now, if you were talking industrial or residential development, that's feasible. But it would depend largely on existing or planned infrastructure, and nearby amenities. If, on the other hand, it's in the middle of the sticks, as I'm guessing, then the price is just silly.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-06-20, 23:51
Acres? What are those? I was told by my ranching buddy that pro's talk in 'sections' and the smallest that serious people talk about is a quarter section which is 640 acres. I was looking at a bug somewhere out on the plains, and land goes for about $2k an acre. Depends if it is dirt, range, or cultivated and water field.

480 acres, $500k...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/No-Address-Akron-CO-80720/2078262260_zpid/

Literally in the middle of nowhere. IT doesn't have an address...

And you WILL learn to READ THE WIND....

AKDoug
09-07-20, 00:04
Acres? What are those? I was told by my ranching buddy that pro's talk in 'sections' and the smallest that serious people talk about is a quarter section which is 640 acres. I was looking at a bug somewhere out on the plains, and land goes for about $2k an acre. Depends if it is dirt, range, or cultivated and water field.

480 acres, $500k...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/No-Address-Akron-CO-80720/2078262260_zpid/

Literally in the middle of nowhere. IT doesn't have an address...

And you WILL learn to READ THE WIND.... Section is 640, 1/4 is 160.

REDinFL
09-07-20, 12:37

Truth.

The EPA can be more destructive to a business than BLM or the other BLM.

JoshNC
09-07-20, 15:42
Far too much liability, it’s near Jacksonville, and the seller is way high on the price.

sundance435
09-08-20, 08:18

Couldn't agree more. The berm thing, particularly, has been an issue for outdoor ranges in the Chicago area.

chuckman
09-08-20, 08:41
For anyone with any familiarity of that area, that is some great hunting around there. For a group of the right people, they could use the bunkhouse alone and hunt that property. Given that Lejeune is about out of space to the south and sothwest, I am a little surprised they are not moving into that area.

Alex V
09-08-20, 10:16
I think you guys are approaching a fun thread way to seriously...

Esq.
09-08-20, 11:25
Guys that own gunshops are starving to death right now. No inventory to sell- no profit to be made. Strongly suspect ranges will soon be in the same situation- people will "check" their new guns to make sure they run and that's it. There won't be very many dudes doing weekly case of ammo mag dumps.

Grand58742
09-08-20, 13:22
Are the Rangers and motorcycles included?

No deal if they won't toss those in.

The_War_Wagon
09-08-20, 15:01
If it was in Asheville or west of there, I'd be applying for credit cards left & right! That's the hottest, MOST God-forsaken part of the state though.

Why do you think the Colonials stuck the capitol, Raleigh, on THAT end of the state? :rolleyes:

chuckman
09-09-20, 09:04
If it was in Asheville or west of there, I'd be applying for credit cards left & right! That's the hottest, MOST God-forsaken part of the state though.

Why do you think the Colonials stuck the capitol, Raleigh, on THAT end of the state? :rolleyes:

The nation's capital was supposed to be in Washington, NC, but because it ended up being such a bad site, they moved it to the swamp on the Potomac lol. Yeah, eastern NC isn't for everyone. Me, I love it (born and raised there, went to college there, then stationed there).

I think there was a PMC or training company that had it built (Tier 1? I can't remember). It's a great location.

dwhitehorne
09-09-20, 09:21
I'm guessing the owner sees the writing on the wall. If Hofmann forest goes for sale then the free land buffer goes. If I got it I would convert it to a driving track and contract out driver training to MARSOC :D David

chuckman
09-09-20, 09:25
I'm guessing the owner sees the writing on the wall. If Hofmann forest goes for sale then the free land buffer goes. If I got it I would convert it to a driving track and contract out driver training to MARSOC :D David

I don't see Hofmann being sold since NC State owns it, but given how much land is being allocated to MARSOC west of 17 just north of Holly Ridge, that would be a great facility for them.