PDA

View Full Version : SCAR 17 SBR, and I mean Sbr!!

RIDE
09-07-20, 13:35
I have a couple of Scar 17’s. I’d like to set one up for HD purpose. My thoughts below. Any advice appreciated.

SBR.. all the way down to 10.5”. I know, I know.
In order to give the bullet a full rotation prior to leaving the barrel the new barrel will be 1:10 twist instead of the current 1:12 twist. The gas jet will also be adjusted accordingly.

The BOOM.. it will be suppressed 100% of the time with a DeadAir can. Haven’t decided on Sandman vs Nomad nor have I decided on length. I’m open to suggestions.

OPTIC.. I’m struggling a bit here. On my other 17, I have the NF ATACR 1-8, absolutely love it.
For a little variety, I’m definitely leaning toward an ELCAN 7.62 1.5-6x. While for HD the 6x would be useless, I like the idea of having the 6x for trips to the range at longer distance.

Thoughts?

Not mine, but... I love this setup..
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200907/c58c92e0dd63699f891d6012913b8be9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ndmiller
09-07-20, 14:48
With .308 out of a suppressed 10.5" barrel your home is going to have a hell of a mess to clean up......... You'll need to choose ammo wisely to avoid hitting the neighbors next-door.

Artos
09-07-20, 15:19
I would at least go 12.5...I cut mine down to min & pinned the hider.

Can't imagine the flash that thing is going to have.

RHINOWSO
09-07-20, 17:44
I’d like to set one up for HD purpose.

For a little variety, I’m definitely leaning toward an ELCAN 7.62 1.5-6x.

Variety has nothing to do with HD.

Aimpoint RDS, light, suppressor, that's it.

RIDE
09-07-20, 17:51

I meant as it relates to the ATACR. I love that thing, and at 1x magnification, it would work for HD, I just don’t want 2 of them. I mention ELCAN because of its addition versatility when not in the house at 1.5x illuminated.

The boom and flash is a concern. Anyone have experience with a SUPPRESSED 10.5” .308, that can comment on the concussion, especially indoor?

Pappabear
09-07-20, 19:02

Bingo was him name oh!!!

I don't know why you need a 308 for HD, but go for it. Thats spicey.

PB

mcnabb100
09-07-20, 19:35
I have a nomad and I love it. It adds almost exactly 6" to OAL if you use the keymo adapter and run the E-Brake. So your 10.5 will be the same length as the factory 16", but it will be suppressed and much much cooler. I have no experience with a .308 rifle that short. Works great with 5.56 at that length.

RHINOWSO
09-07-20, 20:39
I guess I just see it as pointless exercise - I say that owning a 13" SCAR 17; HD is not a role I would put it into (unless it was the only rifle I owned).

Controllability, weight, blast, etc just favor an SBR in 5.56.

Of course do as you please but realize you are chasing a rabbit for fun and not any realistic reason.

Good luck, have fun.

mcnabb100
09-07-20, 20:55
I guess I just see it as pointless exercise - I say that owning a 13" SCAR 17; HD is not a role I would put it into (unless it was the only rifle I owned).

Controllability, weight, blast, etc just favor an SBR in 5.56.

Of course do as you please but realize you are chasing a rabbit for fun and not any realistic reason.

Good luck, have fun.

It certainly wouldn't be my first pick, but I think there will be an appreciable difference in muzzle energy, even vs 300 blackout at the same barrel length. Best data I can find with a quick google is 110 grain at 2200fps (1180ftlb) for 300, 150 grain at 2270fps (1700ftlb) for .308. My 10.5 with can shooting wolf 55 grain chronos at 2750fps (924ftlb) for comparison. No lake city number yet, I need to get the chrono back out.

Now of course, whether or not that extra energy is worth the extra blast a volume is going to be up to the individual to decide. OP is at least planning on going with a can, so that will help immensely.

okie
09-07-20, 22:37
I have to think this thing was developed for something extremely specific. Perhaps an airborne or covert purpose where they needed something ultra compact that could be employed for long range use once on the ground. Or maybe they needed something with extra penetration at close range.

For home defense, though, it's absolutely the wrong tool for the job. That cartridge is primarily useful for long range (past 300 meters), and somewhat useful for penetrating barriers at close range. Neither of which apply to home defense.

As far as getting the job done at close range, 5.56 is more than sufficient. If you google something along the lines of "5.56 wounds" I'm sure you'll agree. 7.62 is only going to get you ten times the felt recoil, three times the cost for ammo, a lot more noise, and a lot more liability in terms of overpenetration.

Get a Mk18 or Commando with a K can and be done with it.

Magsz
09-08-20, 04:26
I meant as it relates to the ATACR. I love that thing, and at 1x magnification, it would work for HD, I just don’t want 2 of them. I mention ELCAN because of its addition versatility when not in the house at 1.5x illuminated.

The boom and flash is a concern. Anyone have experience with a SUPPRESSED 10.5” .308, that can comment on the concussion, especially indoor?

Depending on the can, a suppressed 10.5 inch 5.56 is a beast.

IF you're going to suppress this thing, I would strongly recommend that you steer clear of K cans and you get something robust. Between the two I would highly recommend the sandman S versus the Nomad. Given how brutal the gun is going to be, I would not want to run anything but a stellite can on that thing but that's just me. It really depends on what your mission is and whether or not you want to save some weight versus have a more robust can.

To each their own.

RIDE
09-08-20, 12:38
Reconsidering the 10.5” length.

How much difference would it really make to go to 13” instead of 10.5” ?

09-08-20, 13:31
Reconsidering the 10.5” length.

How much difference would it really make to go to 13” instead of 10.5” ?

Roughly 10% more velocity. Less like extra loud 7.62x39.

SteyrAUG
09-08-20, 19:15
Bingo was him name oh!!!

I don't know why you need a 308 for HD, but go for it. Thats spicey.

PB

Once upon a time my "go to" was a actual HK G3. Thankfully I never had to do much indoor shooting.

96 SS
09-12-20, 11:56
My 11.8” Galil Ace 308 is positivity abusive from a sound perspective, but amazing in all other ways.

Fox33
09-15-20, 00:33
I dont want to poo poo on this too hard, but 10.5 with a can on a 17 is asking for a series of bad possible out comes. You use a hot load like 118LR in that with a can and your back plate side screws are toast. Probably going to split your bolt carrier at the smallest part of the bolt cam pathway too.

KTR03
09-29-20, 17:52
I have a SCAR 17 SBR with the military CQC barrel. It has a 1-8 Platinum series scope on it. Using the german mil DAG ammo it shoots a 2 inches at 100 yards. I was going to order the 130 grain ammo that was designed for this thing, then covid happened. It is a great, heavy duty gun but really just too much of a good thing for home defense. Now when things go bump in the night in my world, I have a sig 553 suppressed with an aimpoint, a suppressed PS90SBR with an Aimpoint that my wife loves, and a suppresses B&T TP9 with brace and aimpoint. You may notice a pattern: small, suppressed, and with an aimpoint. All with slings and white lights or dbals. The Scar 17 would not be my choice unless I had a cabin in the woods and was more worried about bears than people.

D

WickedWillis
09-29-20, 19:29
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the civvy versions of the SCAR 17 tend to beat themselves to death suppressed? Making it shorter would help accelerate that end I would think.

SteyrAUG
09-29-20, 21:40

It's going to be better than an unsuppressed M4 but still loud.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-03-20, 20:22
If it runs I like it. It reminds me of the old Hk51 conversions. BOOM BOOM BOOM

SteyrAUG
10-04-20, 02:10
If it runs I like it. It reminds me of the old Hk51 conversions. BOOM BOOM BOOM

Had one, only wish they made 53 handguards with heat shields. 51s got toasty.

Pappabear
10-04-20, 14:11
Again, I shot my buddies 13.5 S17 and it rung my bell. Suppressed. It's a no go for me.

PB