PDA

View Full Version : Novice needs help: is my setup too heavy???

Ricardo China
09-08-20, 18:31
Novice to AR's and needing help.
Taurus T4 (M4 Carbine mil spec brazilian clone), generic handguard, Leupold mount and Steiner T5Xi 1-5x24 LPVO.
Seemed a little too heavy... on the scale, it shows 5kg, wich is 176,37oz, I think...
Am I on the "porky" side, or that's the average weight to this arrangement?
Should I look for a better and lighter handguard?
Thanks a lot and happy to be here

https://i.imgur.com/Al0lNP5m.jpg

ColtSeavers
09-08-20, 19:01
Novice to AR's and needing help.
Taurus T4 (M4 Carbine mil spec brazilian clone), generic handguard, Leupold mount and Steiner T5Xi 1-5x24 LPVO.
Seemed a little too heavy... on the scale, it shows 5kg, wich is 176,37oz, I think...
Am I on the "porky" side, or that's the average weight to this arrangement?
Should I look for a better and lighter handguard?
Thanks a lot and happy to be here

https://i.imgur.com/Al0lNP5m.jpg

Is the 5kg weight including a loaded 30rd magazine seemingly as pictured?

Diamondback
09-08-20, 19:05
Seems a bit on the heavy side--my first AR was absolutely absurd in the Gearqueer Tactitardery department (mag carrier stock, mag-carrier foregrip, combo folding-bipod foregrip/light) and tips the scales at ten pounds (160oz) unloaded with a Bushnell TRS25, but maybe you're big and solid enough to be okay with it. All I can say is, try humping it around all day and see how long you last at it.

Good luck and Welcome To The Party, Pal! :)

Wake27
09-08-20, 19:25
You are literally the only person who could decide if its too heavy.

monty_d_33
09-08-20, 20:00
Ricardo, it really depends on the purpose of the gun. Obviously anything with LPVO will inherently weigh more than its red dot counterpart. I “like” lighter rifles in general but LPVOs are very versatile but that will come at a cost. Above all.......train, train, train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricardo China
09-08-20, 20:25
Is the 5kg weight including a loaded 30rd magazine seemingly as pictured?

No, mentioned wheight is without magazines.

ColtSeavers
09-08-20, 21:39
No, mentioned wheight is without magazines.

Wake27 nailed it, but I suspect that you, like many others, want some numbers to chew on regardless of how correct he is.

My personal opinion:
If your rifle is setup with just a Light, Optic and Sling, it should not weigh more than 10 pounds (if that much to begin with, but it's a nice round number).

1kg = 2.2 (US) pounds
5kg = 11 (US) pounds

You're 1 pound, or roughly .5kg overweight, according to my personal opinion.

My own goal, is 9 pounds, with Light, Optic and Sling.

To reiterate though, Wake27 has provided the correct answer.

Pappabear
09-08-20, 21:48

Are you carrying this gun 5 clicks, no. Then it’s fine IMHO.

PB

logan09
09-08-20, 21:48
Seems really heavy to me. My AR10(.308) w/ 16" barrel, viper pst 1-6, UBR stock with flashlight and vfg weighs 11.2lbs unloaded. My rail is probably half a pound lighter than yours but still.

vicious_cb
09-09-20, 00:29

Bingo

The more capability you want the more weight you need to add. You can minimize the weight penalty by paying $$$ for parts made of exotic materials and smarter design but you are still trading ounces and pounds to gain something.

AndyLate
09-09-20, 03:41
Taurus empty weight spec (2.94 Kg) plus optic and mount (.71 Kg) = 3.65 Kg (8 lb). You are 1.35 Kg (3 lb) heavier than that, so I would judge your T4 is too heavy.

Unless you have a heavier profile barrel than the M4 profile that Taurus indicates, your quad rail is a beast and I would replace it.

If you lose even .5 Kg on the front of the gun, it will feel a lot lighter and swing a lot faster/smoother. If you drop 1 Kg, it will feel like a completely different gun.

I have a 16" build with a similar (in weight) LPVO and mount. It weighs 3.6 Kg with a light profile barrel but heavier stock. I think it's reasonable to expect your gun to weigh no more than 4 Kg.

Of course the guys are right that you are the only one who can decide if it's too heavy, but an AR with LPVO should be a hell of a lot lighter than 5 Kg (11 lb).

Andy

Ricardo China
09-09-20, 19:33
Taurus empty weight spec (2.94 Kg) plus optic and mount (.71 Kg) = 3.65 Kg (8 lb). You are 1.35 Kg (3 lb) heavier than that, so I would judge your T4 is too heavy.

Unless you have a heavier profile barrel than the M4 profile that Taurus indicates, your quad rail is a beast and I would replace it.

If you lose even .5 Kg on the front of the gun, it will feel a lot lighter and swing a lot faster/smoother. If you drop 1 Kg, it will feel like a completely different gun.

I have a 16" build with a similar (in weight) LPVO and mount. It weighs 3.6 Kg with a light profile barrel but heavier stock. I think it's reasonable to expect your gun to weigh no more than 4 Kg.

Of course the guys are right that you are the only one who can decide if it's too heavy, but an AR with LPVO should be a hell of a lot lighter than 5 Kg (11 lb).

Andy

Thank's everybody for your help, and I think AndyLate find the point, may be it's not the overal weight that is bothering me, bu the weight in front of the rifle. That's what is making it slow and cumbersome.
And the quadrail is the guilt. So, let's go shoping something better... and since the plan always was something more in the CQB area (I have a Norinco M305 to play DMR), a light and simple Sig Sauer Romeo 5 will live over the carbine.

Dr. Bullseye
09-09-20, 22:16
Function first. Take your set up out in the field, not at the range, and drive it hard. Shoot fast, let it heat up, drag it through the brush, get prone, get kneeling, get in the dirt, shoot multiple targets at varying distances as fast as you can. Did the rifle meet your expectations? Did things fall off, overheat, become unmanageable? If so, replace those components and maybe the rifle will just lighten itself up.

Firefly
09-10-20, 09:24
It actually looks like a sensible rifle for what I assume is a Patrol Rifle.

Unless the rail is heavier than it looks.

AndyLate
09-10-20, 10:27
It actually looks like a sensible rifle for what I assume is a Patrol Rifle.

Unless the rail is heavier than it looks.

Honestly, it does not look like a 5 Kg/11 lb gun. How confident are you on the weight you provided?

Ricardo China
09-11-20, 20:17
Honestly, it does not look like a 5 Kg/11 lb gun. How confident are you on the weight you provided?

Your are right again AndyLate, today I was able to use a better scale.
The rifle, without magazine and sling, weighed 3,820kg, or 8,487lb.
Its much less tham my first numbers. Even so, its front heavy, and I am going to change the handguard.
One more time, thank's a lot guys for your informations and help.