PDA

View Full Version : First rifle Armalite Ar10 need help with it?

jasonstang88
11-29-08, 20:09
OK I'm new here on the site and new to the firearms world also other then being in the air force and shooting once every few yrs. My question is i bought an Armalite AR-10A2 and basically would like to deck it out with toys and im thinking there's no better place to ask this question then here so hook me up with info, websites maybe pics of the same rifle and your setup. Thanks for any info you guys may provide.

Liquidsilver
12-01-08, 11:05
First off congrats on the new rifle, I am looking at one of those myself in a flattop.

What you get all depends on what you want to do with the rifle. Do you want it to be a long range presicion rilfe, or more of a close range combat version. Having the A2 version makes it more of the latter in my book, but here is what I would get none the less starting with a Magpul PRS Stock (http://http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_88_89&products_id=191), a Daneil Defense Rail (http://http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/browse&category=railsystems_ar10literails), an Acog TA33R-9 (http://www.trijicon-inc.com/User/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=559&back_row=2&categoryID=3), maybe a Harris BRMS Bipod (http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBRS.html) if you want to have a more presicion rig. If you do get the bipod a KWS Pod-loc (http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/PodLoc.asp) is a great addition.

jasonstang88
12-01-08, 11:15
Thanks for the reply i was beginning to think i wasn't going to get a reply to it. It would have been nice if it had a removable handle but i guess im stuck with it. Ive been looking at different mounts that fit on it and allow for the mounting of a scope and other things. I more or less am looking to put some kind of light on it a think im going with a Fenix TK11 i just need to figure out what mount to get and where to place the light. Im looking to dress this AR up putting whatever I can on it. I am looking to change the foregrip too so i can mount acc. on it but not sure which one works with what i have.

rob_s
12-01-08, 11:34
Thanks for the reply i was beginning to think i wasn't going to get a reply to it. It would have been nice if it had a removable handle but i guess im stuck with it. Ive been looking at different mounts that fit on it and allow for the mounting of a scope and other things. I more or less am looking to put some kind of light on it a think im going with a Fenix TK11 i just need to figure out what mount to get and where to place the light. Im looking to dress this AR up putting whatever I can on it. I am looking to change the foregrip too so i can mount acc. on it but not sure which one works with what i have.

You realize that you didn't answer the question, right? Not to be a dick (too late) but...

What you get all depends on what you want to do with the rifle.

Unless, of course, what you want to do with it is simply

to dress this AR up putting whatever I can on it

If that is the case then this site is probably not the right place for these questions. M4C tries to be a "form follows function" not a "dress up" site.

Again, not trying to be a dick, but you have to help us help you.

This may help you to better phrase your questions to get a better response (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/14401/73895.html)

jasonstang88
12-01-08, 11:43
Ok my bad Yes im looking to put things like a scope,laser,surefire, whatever else you guys would do to this rifle if it was yours. No im not really going to use this weapon for clearing building,hunting, fighting in some war so as far as the things i want to put on it, most will never be used for there intended purpose. I dont see this as being a huge problem since im really only asking for your guy's help to find out what will work on it and get a few ideas from the people that might have a little more knowledge then my friends and deff more then what i have on this rifle. Thanks and sorry if i upset someone because i dont intend on using this every day for the purposes listed above.

rob_s
12-01-08, 12:00
Nobody's upset. Your questions just don't make any sense in the context in which you're asking them.

The purpose doesn't have to be any kind of go-faster stuff, but I'd assume you spent $1k+ on a rifle to shoot it, right? What kind of shooting do you want to do?

Or did you buy a $1k rifle just to look at, and want to spend some more money on it.... well I'm not sure why?

AirTrafficControl
12-01-08, 12:13
First I would buy ammo and learn to shoot first. If you notice alot of guys on this site buy all sorts of junk that they may or may not need. If I were you I'd just go out and shoot the thing before trying to figure out what other kinds of junk that you may want. IMO its a great rifle and for what you are going to be doing with it may only need a scope, if that....ATC

jasonstang88
12-01-08, 12:14
well to be honest yes i paid 1300 for it and it might get used a few times a month. Like i said its going to have no other purpose other than maybe some target shooting and who knows what else down the road. Just need some ideas on it and sorry if im confusing anyone on this.

rob_s
12-01-08, 12:22
For target shooting, I'd buy ammo and not much else. In terms of customizing (although to what end we're still not clear) you bought just about the worst candidate for customization.

What I would honestly try to do buy a 16" flattop upper for the gun and sell the 20" A2 that's on it.

I have never found any scope mounting solutions on a carry handle that didn't suck. Although if you're shooting at <100 yards then I wouldn't bother with a scope anyway. If you simply must have a scope, the Compact ACOG line from Trijicon is about the best solution, and I'd look at the TA33R-9 (http://trijicon-inc.com/User/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=559&back_row=2&categoryID=3) specifically. It comes with a flattop mount, but you can take that off and the scope will fit in the channel on top of the carry handle. It's still going to sit too high for a good cheekweld for most people though.

Same goes for mounting options that put things like Aimpoints forward of the carry handle. Whether attaching to a forend rail or goose-necking out from the carry handle, pretty much all options are less than ideal.

ZDL
12-01-08, 13:31
where did you steal the gum ball machines from? :p

jasonstang88
12-01-08, 14:13
Thanks for the advise yea i kinda figured i bought a sour choice for upgrades but when i say target shooting im not sure what a 20" would be good for distance wise and mainly im just going to be in standing position shooting at a typical target nothing moving. Oh an the gum ball machine is some old piece that my mom had so i took it.

G27gear
12-02-08, 11:59
Get it out to the range just like it is now. See what feels right and what might need some tweaking. See what the other guys are using and ask if you can take a few shots to see if you like their accesories. At least shoulder it and see if the fit is right. I built an M4 that went from a ban era bushmaster m4 clone to a well rounded battle carbine that suits my needs, but it took me 9 years and 2 wars to figure out what really worked for me.
I understand the "cool factor" of having some different stuff on your rifle. But, you don't want to (or maybe you do) spend a lot of money figuring out what you want.
A full size rifle like you've purchased is more suited for the long range stuff, I feel that a surefire or any other tactical light or laser on a long range weapon is overkill. On the other hand, the carry handle on your rifle keeps you from mounting true long range optics on it, without some issues.
You might try to find a flat-top upper and trade it out.
Just a run at what I've got and like on mine;
Badger ordnance freefloat tube,
magpul PRS stock,
some aftermarked pistol grip that fits my hand real nice (of all the accesories, that's the one you'll want to feel out for yourself. Get your hands wrapped around it and really see what's going to work) I forgot what I've got, I think a CAA. It fits well.
A harris bipod, but I end up using my pack to rest it on more often than the bipod. The bipod normally just keeps it off the ground while I'm doing other things.
Optics are another thing that are really subjective. Do you want the super cool mil-dot scope that tactical marksmen are using? If you get it, are you ever going to use the mildot to do any ranging? How tough do you plan on being with the whole system? A high end scope from walmart might suit your needs, a $2000 scope from a tactical store online might be in order.
If you end up turning it into a closer range (or try a multi-purpose approace) rifle, the options for optics choices are just as tricky and expensive. Either way, the topic of optics is worty of a topic that's probably already in motion on the forum.

Iraqgunz
12-02-08, 14:45
Jason,

Just want to point something out. Hopefully I don't sound like a broken record. Your rifle should first and foremost be considered a weapon to defend yourself, your home or property. If you decide to target shoot, plink or paint it pink with purple gadgets then that is secondary.

The serious personnel here do not just buy shit to hang on their weapons. My weapons have lights- their purpose is to enable me to positively ID a target in a limited light situation. One of my carbines has an ACOG. It's use should be obvious. The other carbine has iron sights- it does what it needs to do.

I also have NVG's, a PEQ2, and other stuff. These were items that I purchased over time to use for my job. I also know how to use them. But until they are needed they won't be resting on my weapons.

Just something to think about. I would spend my money on some ammo and more mags and focus on getting proficient with it rather than buying a ton of cool guy shit.

well to be honest yes i paid 1300 for it and it might get used a few times a month. Like i said its going to have no other purpose other than maybe some target shooting and who knows what else down the road. Just need some ideas on it and sorry if im confusing anyone on this.

KevinB
12-02-08, 16:44
Shoot it - shoot it a lot.

When you decide you want to scope it -- swap the upper for a flattop.

All my guns have lights - all but one Colt AR15A2 (Pencil barrel carbine) have optics.