PDA

View Full Version : Brownells is a ghost of it's past

lowprone
09-12-20, 16:34
Anybody tried ordering AR15 small parts/springs ect from Brownells ?
They have 67 handguards but only 1 castle nut and it was Titanium and $$$$$$.
They used to put out addendum catalogs for 1911, AR, ect, now it's hard to
get a catalog period.
Plus they bought out Sinclair I think just to eliminate them as competition,
they sure have not polished that facet of their crown.
Where do you get your nuts and bolts AR15 parts?

everready73
09-12-20, 17:03
G&R tactical, primary arms, SOLGW, sionics

Firefly
09-12-20, 17:14
Yeah I never use them anymore.

I’d add in DSG Arms Arms Unlimited and Specialized Armament (for those hard to find Colt parts).

Instead of focusing on gun stuff they bought the Barfcom moneypit and bow their website is pure AIDS. Countless, pointless popups and a lot of BS. Even their retro line is actually lame.

Should have stuck to selling stuff people actually buy.

Stickman
09-12-20, 17:15
I’ll bet they are making more money now than ever.

R0CKETMAN
09-12-20, 17:19
Yeah they suck, but it’s a recent (last few months) thing.

That said I ordered an upper from them a few weeks back it was all good. Fast shipping

Slater
09-12-20, 17:23
They've also come out with their own optics line, although I don't know who is making them.

RHINOWSO
09-12-20, 17:29
What, a supplier is out of AR15 parts? What the heck as been going on the past couple of months!!!! (LMFAO)

DSG Arms is legit and I order a lot from them.

But then again I had a bunch of spare parts for several years now... not a johnny come lately... ;)

everready73
09-12-20, 17:30
They've also come out with their own optics line, although I don't know who is making them.

I have heard good things about the optics. The mpo line is made in Japan

RHINOWSO
09-12-20, 17:30
Should have stuck to selling stuff people actually buy.

I imagine they are making money hand over fist.

Disciple
09-12-20, 18:02

https://www.rainierarms.com/
https://www.wingtactical.com/
https://www.blackriflearms.com/
https://www.rainshadowarmory.com/

Vegas
09-12-20, 18:24
DSG and Primary Arms for AR stuff. Greg Cotes got pistol mags and parts. All ship fast but Greg Cotes is freakish fast.

Hammer_Man
09-12-20, 19:17
G&R Tactical, or Arms Unlimited for Colt parts. That is when they have them in stock, as you can imagine most Colt parts are backordered at the moment. Sionics for good quality parts that won’t break the bank. DSG, Rainier Arms, and Primary Arms for everything else.

Edit: I’ve never had any issues with Brownell’s, and continue to shop there. Their selection isn’t near what it was a few years ago, but I think that’s a reflection on current market conditions.

Firefly
09-12-20, 20:08
To everyone saying how they are making it rain Benjis; I don’t doubt you.

That said, they aren’t selling anything I want. Their Retro XM-177E2 is anachronism stew. Their AR-10 is okay I guess but irrelevant.

It’s hard to find anything useful because it’s harder to navigate. I hate popups.

I mean, it’s just not a go-to place for me anymore.

You’re talking to a guy who misses the Cyberian Outpost. I like sketchy, almost under the table kinda places that just have everything I need because normies don’t go there.

Screwball
09-12-20, 21:25
I would go between MidwayUSA and Brownells. MidwayUSA might have a little better selection, but prices at Brownells tend to be better... especially since they do FFL discounts for FFL-03s.

I actually just ordered from them about 20 minutes ago. My truck AR pistol took a major dump on the range today, and dealing with the manufacturer to get it squared away. For the short term, I’ll be using my PSA AK-P for a stand in. Had to get some magazines, sling setup, and a piece of rail for a light. Discount and code on top of it.

HKGuns
09-12-20, 21:49
Well, I'd say this isn't exactly the best time frame to be judging a company's performance. Looks to me like most everyone is out of / low stock on stuff. I continue to like Brownells and will continue to use them.

Steve Shannon
09-12-20, 22:19
Brownells is constantly restocking. I’ve ordered some OOS small hardware and received it within a week of the rest of the order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m1a_scoutguy
09-12-20, 23:10
I ordered alot of items from https://whitelabelarmory.com/ before the panic, quality USA parts super fast shipping. Things are picked over now but items are coming back in. Depending on needs I use BCM also, super fast and FREE shipping when its over $100 or so and its easy enough to get over $100 ! I found these guys a month or so ago and they have decent stock and were having Deals Of The Day. My buddy and I bought Colt Buffer Tube Kits for $42 bucks each. https://www.righttobear.com/ I also use Forward Controls,MidwayUSA & a few others that don't come to mind at the moment. Even in these times if you look you can still find pretty much anything ya need.

Circle_10
09-13-20, 05:43
I’ve just been placing back orders for the stuff I want that is out of stock on the Brownells site, and it’s been pretty reliably shipping within like 1-4 weeks, and I don’t get charged until it ships either. Now granted I’m ordering stuff that is mostly just intended to pad my spare parts inventory and thus I’m kinda like “it gets here when it gets here” because none of it is anything that I need “urgently”. If I were in a hurry I’d look elsewhere.

Chameleox
09-13-20, 06:28
Well, I'd say this isn't exactly the best time frame to be judging a company's performance. Looks to me like most everyone is out of / low stock on stuff. I continue to like Brownells and will continue to use them.

I’ve bought a few hundred dollars worth of stuff from Brownells over the past couple weeks. None of it was AR-related, so I can’t and won’t judge their performance in that regard, but my transactions went smoothly. I will say that they seemed to be hedging their bets on shipping notifications. My shipments arrived well before the estimated dates.

I agree with HKGuns that the current climate will adversely affect pretty much anyone who is stocking gun parts (particularly modern service guns) and ammo. Stock, websites, prices, and shipping are all going to be a little out of whack for the foreseeable future.

ChattanoogaPhil
09-13-20, 06:49
Over the years I've generally used Brownells for less common parts like a revolver yoke screw assembly or something like that. Never thought of Brownells as the go-to place for an AR castle nut which can be found at most any parts bin Internet seller.

The_War_Wagon
09-13-20, 06:51
I’ll bet they are making more money now than ever.

We all know that crap is KING, give us cheap AR parts... or something like that...

fledge
09-13-20, 09:43
Seems Brownells has become a larger player and more politically active. They were my go to for a while when their 10% coupons showed up regularly. Never had an issue and scored some amazing deals.

I have zero complaints and grateful to see them in the fight. Pete is a freedom guy and donates to those causes. They just donated $50k to fight the California magazine bans in the 9th circuit.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/09/brownells-donates-50k-crpa-standard-capacity-magazine-fight

HardToHandle
09-13-20, 09:54
If I want Chineiusm crap parts like $4 castle nut, I will go to Primary Arms or PSA.
I suspect some folks FrankenARs are half airsoft... I am not a hater of Chinese manufacturing, but asking a professional gunsmith-oriented supplier to get into a race to the bottom on commodity import prices is self defeating.

That said, Brownells continues to my go-to for a vast majority of orders. I have used them more over the last 3-4 years, when I realized a few percentage points more in price pays off. They ship timely, they take back orders and if you have a problem, you call in and talk to an American who grew up speaking English. I get that slightly elevated price back, many times over, if I return an item.

Now, I wish Brownells would get the MP5 bolt springs I have been waiting for in stock... for a year. My guess is that isn’t on them, but waiting for the OEM to ramp production in a pandemic.

Hammer_Man
09-13-20, 10:04
If I want Chineiusm crap parts like $4 castle nut, I will go to Primary Arms or PSA.
I suspect some folks FrankenARs are half airsoft... I am not a hater of Chinese manufacturing, but asking a professional gunsmith-oriented supplier to get into a race to the bottom on commodity import prices is self defeating.

That said, Brownells continues to my go-to for a vast majority of orders. I have used them more over the last 3-4 years, when I realized a few percentage points more in price pays off. They ship timely, they take back orders and if you have a problem, you call in and talk to an American who grew up speaking English. I get that slightly elevated price back, many times over, if I return an item.

Now, I wish Brownells would get the MP5 bolt springs I have been waiting for in stock... for a year. My guess is that isn’t on them, but waiting for the OEM to ramp production in a pandemic.

You raise some valid points. Brownell’s customer support is second to none. Not even Midway comes close IMO. Plus the stuff they carry tends to be pretty good (KAC, LMT, Colt, DD, Schmid Tool, Vltor, B5).

jpmuscle
09-13-20, 10:17
Seems Brownells has become a larger player and more politically active. They were my go to for a while when their 10% coupons showed up regularly. Never had an issue and scored some amazing deals.

I have zero complaints and grateful to see them in the fight. Pete is a freedom guy and donates to those causes. They just donated $50k to fight the California magazine bans in the 9th circuit.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/09/brownells-donates-50k-crpa-standard-capacity-magazine-fight

Brownells is my first stop for this reason. Between dealer pricing and edge shipping I’m fine throwing them money if they have what I need.

As others have noted their stocking items seem to have decreased and I hope they turn that around at some point.

lowprone
09-13-20, 13:12
I did not say they were out of stock, I said they no longer listed it in their catalog, using their website
is a migrane maker.
Like I said 67 handguards and 1 castle nut.

Pilgrim
09-13-20, 13:51
I just ended up using BCM for a rifle length receiver extension, spring, and buffer.

Supply is so low on AR items now the only place I could find a MOE rifle stock was the Magpul site itself.

As for the ‘large outfits’, I seem to be ordering more from Brownell‘s now than I do from Midway.

Steve Shannon
09-13-20, 14:33
I did not say they were out of stock, I said they no longer listed it in their catalog, using their website
is a migrane maker.
Like I said 67 handguards and 1 castle nut.

I’m not sure what search terms you used. I found several, but many were out of stock.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200913/aea13874acbd3b3959f6e2e7d53b8195.jpg

lowprone
09-13-20, 16:27
I said I was using their catalog, not the *&^%$#*( internet )

hotrodder636
09-13-20, 16:36
I continue to use them. Never had an issue and they have good shipping, great CS and many good brands.

Artos
09-13-20, 17:08
Their schematics come in handy in finding parts / repair / assembly...I just sent them my updated ffl / sales tax exempt to be on file but haven't ordered anything in a while. Seems the stuff I need was either out of stock or the dinky order is less or equal to the min shipping which pushes me elsewhere. Not hating on them as I know they don't want to miss a sale, is what it is.

Steve Shannon
09-13-20, 18:09

Well there’s your problem …
Sincerely, good luck. I hope you find what you want. When you said their website gave you a migraine I interpreted that to mean you were looking in the online “catalog.”

jpmuscle
09-13-20, 18:15
I wish Geissele would give brownells a break on MAP with stuff.

Albeit that’s not the fault of brownells and I’m assuming G just wants to push complete rifles....... and blunderbusses

Firefly
09-13-20, 18:37
I just want a goddamn 14.5” HK SMR rail!

sidewaysil80
09-13-20, 19:25
I gave up on brownells. It seems a lot of items are priced HIGHER then MSRP. Not sure why they do that...considering one can just buy directly from the mfg at that point.

JWill1776
09-13-20, 19:43
I've been a customer of Brownells for years. In the past year or so I think they have stepped up their game. I get my FFL-03 discount and they are forever offering significant coupon savings. I do enough business with them to justify being a part of their membership program. I have no idea what people are talking about Brownells being a "ghost of itself."

Walker_Texasranger
09-13-20, 19:56
Brownells is good but everything is hard to get right now.

I use weapon outfitters a lot. They often get hard to get parts. For example, I got a Vltor A5 buffer tube and Unity fast mount riser last week. I get the PWS ratcheting castle nut/end plates from them. Got a tan Eotech EXPS3 a few weeks ago.

Swstock
09-13-20, 20:21

Mindblown

Vegas
09-13-20, 20:30
Mindblown

1985 called and wants it’s customer back.

lowprone
09-13-20, 20:43
Yeah, I'm old !

Steve Shannon
09-13-20, 21:08
Yeah, I'm old !

Me too. I’ve been an FFL and a customer of Brownells since the 1980’s.

wanderson
09-14-20, 13:29
I haven’t ordered much from Brownells over the past few years but like Numrich gun parts I keep em bookmarked for that hard to find stuff. For a big One Stop shop MidwayUSA usually has better prices.
I’ll give Brownells a thumbs up just for carrying their version of the Metalform Colt smg 9mm mags. And their back order system seems to work well the few times I’ve gotten on a waiting list.

Renegade04
09-14-20, 14:33
I have bought several things from Brownells over the past few years, namely one of their BRN-180 uppers, a BRN-180 lower, and other parts for the build. I also bought a few things for my M4A1 SOPMOD Block II build. I have been buying from them off and on for over ten years. I do get a catalog every year in the mail. Brownells certainly has undertaken new projects like the retro series of rifles and parts as well as the BRN-180 upper and parts. They are spending a lot of money on R&D and production. They are trying to offer the public more options. They also are competitively priced. Unfortunately, they do run out of stock on some items, but they are good about getting product is ASAP and notifying those interested or those who have backorders. Is Brownells going to be the perfect place for everyone? No. Are they going to be the cheapest? No. Are they going to back up what they sell? Yes. Brownells would not still be in business and making money if they were not doing something right. By the way, I am not a paid endorser for Brownells.

themonk
09-14-20, 14:45
Brownells is solid! USA jobs. Good people. Edge is awesome. Lifetime guarantee on everything they sell. Politically active for the 2nd. Really what more do you want besides stuff being in stock (see below)?

I get they are short on stock but 1) it's the middle of a pandemic and millions of people went out and bought guns and 2) it's an election year with only 2 months to go.

JWill1776
09-14-20, 14:48
Wait...the OP is using paper catalogs not the Brownells website? But he uses the Internet to come to this website to complain that he can't get a paper catalog from Brownells? That's pretty funny actually. 2021 is driving everyone a little nuts, I think.

Click this link and find the best catalog they make, their website:

https://www.brownells.com/

Disciple
09-14-20, 16:27
2021 is driving everyone a little nuts, I think.

You too, apparently. :jester:

lowprone
09-14-20, 20:25
I have navigated their website and between the pop ups ect, ect, I would rather just open a kitchen cabinet in my face.

curious1
09-14-20, 22:49
Sent them an email just a few days ago letting them know they don't even carry a standard carrier key anymore. The only one listed on the site was out of stock DPMS which is the same as none.

Dr. Bullseye
09-15-20, 10:58
Anybody tried ordering AR15 small parts/springs ect from Brownells ?
They have 67 handguards but only 1 castle nut and it was Titanium and $$$$$$.
They used to put out addendum catalogs for 1911, AR, ect, now it's hard to
get a catalog period.
Plus they bought out Sinclair I think just to eliminate them as competition,
they sure have not polished that facet of their crown.

Del-ton.

ViniVidivici
09-15-20, 11:02

Off to look at Brownells website.

Grand58742
09-15-20, 11:06
One thing I will give Brownells is they are persistent. Look at one item and they start sending you emails for that item like a used car salesman.

"You want to check this out again? C'mon, you can afford this!"

85cucvtom
09-15-20, 11:11
I have limited experience with Brownells but for the few ordered I've placed, I've never had an issue. My go-to places are:

BCM
Rainier Arms
Arms Unlimited
DSG
Primary Arms
Aero Precision

It just depends what I need, who has stock and how fast I need it. Right now is a bad time to judge any distributor with how crazy the market is right now.

daddyusmaximus
09-15-20, 18:22
I use them all the time. Depends on what you order I guess. Some things, I click order, and they're at my P.O. Box in like 4 or 5 days. Other things, like a .303 British shell holder... 3 weeks. Like everybody, their AR stuff is hit, and miss. (mostly miss these days due to the demand)

Eurodriver
09-18-20, 08:38
Mindblown

Lol this is amazing.

A paper catalog.

Nightstalker865
09-18-20, 10:49
Lol this is amazing.

A paper catalog.

I honestly didn’t know they still mailed them out. Seems like a complete waste of advertising funds.

The_War_Wagon
09-18-20, 12:10
HERE'S the $64 question!

WHY did they stop carrying aluminum mag bodies?! :confused:

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-19-20, 13:06

Mindblown

1985 called and wants it’s customer back.

Lol this is amazing.

A paper catalog.

I honestly didn’t know they still mailed them out. Seems like a complete waste of advertising funds.

I wasn't ready for this plot twist that's for sure.

jack crab
09-20-20, 11:44
I don't know that it is a ghost of its past, but it is nothing like it was back in the 70's and 80's. It used to truly be a gunsmithing supply house, when gunsmithing was more than screwing parts together to built an AR.

Their print catalogs were awesome. There would be several pages of just checkering tools. Entire sections of the catalog with all sorts of files, abrasives, machine tools, etc. for metal working and finishing. Every imaginable concoction of wood finishing magic sauce. There were jigs for everything. Books on stock carving from Monty Kennedy, Pistolsmithing from George Nonte. Good times.

But, I think the days of checkered walnut stocks, and blued, polish steel are largely behind us.

Today, they are more retail oriented. sort of a Cabelas that also sells AR parts.

JWill1776
09-20-20, 12:02
Brownells is a far larger and financially more successful business than they were in the 1970s.

As for checkering tools from Brownells here is what they offer. I had the website display 96 items, and .... here you go.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/hand-checkering-tools/index.htm?psize=96

Steve Shannon
09-20-20, 12:52
I don't know that it is a ghost of its past, but it is nothing like it was back in the 70's and 80's. It used to truly be a gunsmithing supply house, when gunsmithing was more than screwing parts together to built an AR.

Their print catalogs were awesome. There would be several pages of just checkering tools. Entire sections of the catalog with all sorts of files, abrasives, machine tools, etc. for metal working and finishing. Every imaginable concoction of wood finishing magic sauce. There were jigs for everything. Books on stock carving from Monty Kennedy, Pistolsmithing from George Nonte. Good times.

But, I think the days of checkered walnut stocks, and blued, polish steel are largely behind us.

Today, they are more retail oriented. sort of a Cabelas that also sells AR parts.

I disagree.
Monte Kennedy’s book is still there:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/books-amp-videos/books/stockmaking-books/checkering-and-carving-of-gunstocks-prod12613.aspx

George Nonte’s book is also listed, currently out of stock, but available for back ordering:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/books-amp-videos/books/handgun-gunsmithing-books/pistolsmithing-prod42457.aspx

Brownells does everything it can to keep these alive. Spreading unfounded rumors of their passing is damaging to their reputation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swstock
09-20-20, 13:53
I remember being a kid and making a Christmas list from the Macys catalog. Things just ain't the same.

jack crab
09-20-20, 18:41
I disagree.
Monte Kennedy’s book is still there:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/books-amp-videos/books/stockmaking-books/checkering-and-carving-of-gunstocks-prod12613.aspx

George Nonte’s book is also listed, currently out of stock, but available for back ordering:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/books-amp-videos/books/handgun-gunsmithing-books/pistolsmithing-prod42457.aspx

Brownells does everything it can to keep these alive. Spreading unfounded rumors of their passing is damaging to their reputation.

No one said anything about their passing. Brownells has grown into numerous new product lines well beyond the gunsmithing tools and materials they started with. They have self branded product lines such as optics, and have undertaken manufacturing in house such as their AR mags.

Brownells is one of the few places that can keep the classics alive as well as serve the demanding contemporary market.

Tony617
09-20-20, 22:03
I have ordered from Brownell’s in the past and picked some gas rings, extractor springs, cam pins, firing pins, etc. last year before the pandemic started. I also bought some Toolcraft BCGs from Pirimary Arms and put the BCG in an upper to verified this it works. I fired 150 rounds using this BCG.

Steve Shannon
09-20-20, 23:37
No one said anything about their passing. Brownells has grown into numerous new product lines well beyond the gunsmithing tools and materials they started with. They have self branded product lines such as optics, and have undertaken manufacturing in house such as their AR mags.

Brownells is one of the few places that can keep the classics alive as well as serve the demanding contemporary market.

Sorry, between the title of the thread (being a ghost implies passing) and your comments about the Nonte book and checkering book, I mistook you for the OP.
I agree with you. I think Brownells deserves a lot of credit for adapting to current needs.

maximus83
09-21-20, 12:14
I do see some of the supply and other issues mentioned, which probably are caused by the stress of the current panic buying mode. But I still use them regularly along with probably half a dozen other online retailers. They've always treated me well as far as customer service, and I can find promo codes to get discounts and/or free shipping on nearly every order. When it comes to things like quality gunsmithing tools, nice cleaning gear for precision rifles (such as Bore Tech), they tend to carry some of the quality stuff and I often check them along with others, to see what they have. For example just last week, I bought one of their special-cut Sinclair bore cleaning guides made for 6.5 Grendel, has a built-in solvent port, is the right size to keep stuff from leaking back into the action, it's great. Didn't find anything quite like that elsewhere. A few weeks back, I bought a Badger Condition One optic mount, those things are popular and at the time of all the retailers I use, Brownells was one of the few that had the exact one I needed in stock, and for a reasonable price, and free shipping.

They're not perfect, but pretty consistently good despite that--I'll keep using them.

DaBigBR
09-24-20, 10:26
Brownells is dealing with the same supply chain stuff the rest of the industry is. Aside from being such a big deal in retail, they are also a wholesaler.

Mrgunsngear
09-24-20, 11:12

My review FWIW:

https://youtu.be/FwfroJC9vZY

Bushytale
09-24-20, 12:00
I have been using Brownells for decades. Their back-order system is the best. Just received an order last week with AR parts and accessories. At this time they are out of the same things everyone else is. I will continue to support them.

Armadillo
09-26-20, 23:20
Before things got crazy, I bought a ton of small parts.
They had tons of Colt parts that I stocked up on.
I don't mind paying a premium for Colt parts and they had everything.
Once it's delivered, it is all labeled in individual baggies.

Get yourself a FFL C&R and enjoy the discounts.

Brownells has never let me down.

I recently bought a Colt upper at a great price, too.

eodinert
09-30-20, 12:07
Brownells is awesome, but not all the time on everything. Some of the HK parts they have are ridiculously cheap... I buy stuff I don't need when I buy other stuff, because the prices are insanely low.

Today I got a backorder in stock notification for my MP5 trigger housings for $25, and last time I shopped there I got a baby poop tan 416 stock for $100. As long as they keep giving HK parts away, I'll keep throwing money at them.

kirkland
09-30-20, 23:55
Redacted