PDA

View Full Version : Everything old is new again...

Slater
09-13-20, 12:39
In the firearms world, of course Brownell's has their "Retro" line of AR-15's and their throwback 4x carry handle scope. Mossberg introduced their "Retro" 500/590 series with wooden furniture. Inland has their rather spendy line of retro Ithaca 37, M1911A1 , and M1 carbine offerings. If you buy a new Ithaca 37 Defense today with walnut furniture, technically it's not promoted as a throwback model but it does look like it just stepped out of 1974 - I guess Ithacas haven't changed much over the decades. Savage now has their "Classic" 110 model with walnut (?) furniture. And of course, Colt has re-introduced the Python.

The 1960's/70's muscle car look is in vogue. I just hope that bell bottoms and disco stays in the 1970's. Hell, I hear that old vinyl records are making something of a comeback, although I'm not sure why.

Since I'm 60 (comfortably middle aged :D ), I guess "Retro" for me would be the 1970's and 1980's. And even without the Internet, cell phones, and a female Bruce Jenner they were a blast for me. For you younger folks, say, in your 30's/40's, does the whole "Retro" thing really apply that much?

Firefly
09-13-20, 13:00
Sorta. I just miss girls who didn’t shave, mostly white music on the radio, and people not cussing so much.

Per guns, at first I was on the gee wow retro craze because I had a Vietnam War fetish but after I got an SP1 and made an A1 clone and bought a CAR-15; I was good. Kinda want a retro Glock to totally “retire” my original old Glock. Otherwise I like more contemporary guns more.

As a kid, the cars seemed cool but now I just want something with good mileage to haul my big ass to and fro.

I miss TV because literally the whole family could watch. Now it’s all degeneracy.
I won’t lie. I watch more tranny stuff than I should but I don’t want it normalized.

I dunno. Life is what you make it. They are just selling us a midlife crisis.

I think what kinda helped me get over it was that one episode of Black Mirror San Junipero.

I’m not the best person to ask

MountainRaven
09-13-20, 13:39
I have social guns that have the latest and greatest doodads I can afford.

But I enjoy my old guns, and old guns in general, a lot more.

JoshNC
09-13-20, 14:09
It’s the nostalgia of older things. Same as muscle cars, old wooden runabout boats, WW1 and WW2 firearms, etc for previous generations. Nothing new. Just the next generation.

BoringGuy45
09-13-20, 14:43
Classic rock is also making a comeback overseas. There's lot of new bands in Sweden and Finland doing southern rock, stadium rock, and glam metal again. Plus, a lot of classic artists and bands, like Journey, Styx, Boston, etc. that are doing new stuff as well. I have found an oasis from the shitty mumble rape (not a typo) on the radio today with Frontiers Records (https://www.youtube.com/user/FrontiersRecords).

Honu
09-13-20, 18:05
I had some of my old 80s clothes around (I am 57) my daughter 16 wearing my old 1980 punk leather jacket many of us had painted up and some kids were like WOW where did you get that :) the other kids thought it was cool stuff

Then again I found my dads old letterman sweater and one of his tux tops that he had as a kid and I wore it in the 80s with the kids saying cool stuff :)

Reckon my kids kids are going to find her stuff one day maybe and think COOL

In the firearms world, of course Brownell's has their "Retro" line of AR-15's and their throwback 4x carry handle scope. Mossberg introduced their "Retro" 500/590 series with wooden furniture. Inland has their rather spendy line of retro Ithaca 37, M1911A1 , and M1 carbine offerings. If you buy a new Ithaca 37 Defense today with walnut furniture, technically it's not promoted as a throwback model but it does look like it just stepped out of 1974 - I guess Ithacas haven't changed much over the decades. Savage now has their "Classic" 110 model with walnut (?) furniture. And of course, Colt has re-introduced the Python.

The 1960's/70's muscle car look is in vogue. I just hope that bell bottoms and disco stays in the 1970's. Hell, I hear that old vinyl records are making something of a comeback, although I'm not sure why.

Since I'm 60 (comfortably middle aged :D ), I guess "Retro" for me would be the 1970's and 1980's. And even without the Internet, cell phones, and a female Bruce Jenner they were a blast for me. For you younger folks, say, in your 30's/40's, does the whole "Retro" thing really apply that much?

jpmuscle
09-13-20, 18:21
I hope Jncos make a comeback. They were my 90s jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyLate
09-13-20, 19:19
Beards are back in as are Afros. My wife is collecting vinyl records again.

I'm pretty sure I wore some hand me down bell bottoms and once was enough.

Jermedic
09-13-20, 19:34
I have social guns that have the latest and greatest doodads I can afford. But I enjoy my old guns, and old guns in general, a lot more.

Same here. I train to be proficient with my Glocks and RDS equipped ARs, but like shooting my factory stock Colt AR15 A4 more than my modern set ups . Much of my recreational range time lately involves Colt single action revolvers and my Trapdoor Springfield. Next gun purchase will more than likely a Sharps or Remmington rolling block. Got into a whole new reloading hobby of loading 45 Colt and 45-70 with black powder. It's been a fun change to the hobby. I'm also having fun restoring a 1987 4Runner for a hunting/off road rig and it's nice to work on compared to my new truck. Also recently sold a newer Suzuki motorcycle since I mostly just ride my 21 year old Harley.

Arik
09-13-20, 19:36
I kinda never grew out of the mid 90s. Have no interest in most modern things. Would rather drive an 89 Caprice than anything made in the last 10 years. The only reason I prefer the gen5 glocks over the previous ones is because I'm a lefty, otherwise my gen3 from 2002 is fine. So is the 6920 from 1990something. My TV is circa 2008, my PC is 2004. The newest thing is my cellphone and lately I've been thinking why do I even have this

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Firefly
09-13-20, 20:08
I kinda never grew out of the mid 90s. Have no interest in most modern things. Would rather drive an 89 Caprice than anything made in the last 10 years. The only reason I prefer the gen5 glocks over the previous ones is because I'm a lefty, otherwise my gen3 from 2002 is fine. So is the 6920 from 1990something. My TV is circa 2008, my PC is 2004. The newest thing is my cellphone and lately I've been thinking why do I even have this

May we ask what model PC? It best be a Thinkpad

Arik
09-13-20, 20:12
May we ask what model PC? It best be a ThinkpadNo, that's a laptop. At least it sounds like a laptop. This is a desktop. I don't know what it is, haven't used it in years. It sits in the basement. Last time it was used Call of Duty WW2 just came out

If I had to guess I'd say Gateway

Jellybean
09-13-20, 20:20
I hope Jncos make a comeback. They were my 90s jam.
Bruh... You weren't cool unless you were rocking the Lee Pipes.
:laugh:

Classic rock is also making a comeback overseas. There's lot of new bands in Sweden and Finland doing southern rock, stadium rock, and glam metal again. Plus, a lot of classic artists and bands, like Journey, Styx, Boston, etc. that are doing new stuff as well. I have found an oasis from the shitty mumble rape (not a typo) on the radio today with Frontiers Records (https://www.youtube.com/user/FrontiersRecords).
I don't think classic rock ever really died overseas; well, at least, classic metal. Iron Maiden and Metallica never stopped being huge, IIRC.
That would be an interesting come-around though; you had Rock start as kinda a UK thing, then got super American, and now coming back around to a Euro rock renaissance.... How the world turns...

Sorta. I just miss girls who didn’t shave, mostly white music on the radio, and people not cussing so much. ..................

Dude, even if you go back to the late 90s/early 2000's, the songs SLAP. Like, you can see visions of future (current) craptasticness... but they were at LEAST catchy AF. Like EVERYONE knew them and liked it (or could at least guiltily sing along when nobody was looking), even if you hated the genre in general.
Now, like... I turned on the radio on a whim the other day, and just wanted to set it on fire. I could feel my brain cells committing suicide one by one.
Also yeah, if I have to listen to yet another dweeb that thinks they're cooler than they really are be all like 'fawuck mayuuun" I'mma slap 'em. I guess I'm getting old and hypocritical, cuz I swear like... a LOT... But God almighty, at least I know when to lay the f*** off. :laugh:
Girls' gotta shave though. At least the pits. Like, ew.... :laugh:

As a kid, the cars seemed cool but now I just want something with good mileage to haul my big ass to and fro.

That's the damn truth.
Got hard into the exotic/supercar thing as well as the riceroni stuff (yeah...I was one of those dweebs that saw the first F&F and then wanted a Supra to 'tune').
Then I bought a Ford SUV because snow and gravel roads are a thing. Then spent a few years (while it was still running worth a damn) bitching about the gas mileage. Then spent some time driving a car with better gas mileage and raved about that...then rediscovered that your average modern sedan sucks for driving anywhere but on pavement, and now want another SUV, gas mileage be damned. Still want a Lambo though. Ah, the circle of life... :laugh:

As far as guns, man... I had a LONG list of guns.
Now I just kinda want an unlimited supply of ammo in like, 3 or 4 calibers.
Alright, a FAL and a BAR too. Maybe an MG42, just so I can have a successful re-do of Death Wish 3 when I'm old and the hoodlums are taking over the 'hood.

Slater
09-13-20, 21:17
Heck, the US Army is resurrecting the old "pinks and greens" Class A uniform from the WW2 era. IMHO, it should have never left. Now if the USAF would only do something with their "insurance salesman" Service Dress uniform.

sndt1319
09-13-20, 22:03
I’ve always had a soft spot for classic weapons. Something about deep blueing and wood stocks just seems “right”. I’ve got all the modern stuff I need but would love to pick up more revolvers or bolt action rifles.

Don't Tread On Me
09-13-20, 22:04
It isn’t just those of us aging who are feeling the call of nostalgia. The first thing my 10 year old son does when he climbs into my truck is turn on the radio and tunes into 70s on 7 on Sirius XM. We cycle between that and 60s on 6 plus a few others.

As for the guns, there are a few dated designs that are on my bucket list, ie Garand and an 1873 trapdoor Springfield.

jpmuscle
09-13-20, 22:36
Bruh... You weren't cool unless you were rocking the Lee Pipes.
:laugh:

I don't think classic rock ever really died overseas; well, at least, classic metal. Iron Maiden and Metallica never stopped being huge, IIRC.
That would be an interesting come-around though; you had Rock start as kinda a UK thing, then got super American, and now coming back around to a Euro rock renaissance.... How the world turns...

As far as guns, man... I had a LONG list of guns.
Now I just kinda want an unlimited supply of ammo in like, 3 or 4 calibers.
Alright, a FAL and a BAR too. Maybe an MG42, just so I can have a successful re-do of Death Wish 3 when I'm old and the hoodlums are taking over the 'hood.

Don’t make me throw a hacky sack at your face

Jermedic
09-13-20, 22:44
Don’t Tread..... I’d like to pick up a Garand as well. Have to make due with my model 1888. Mine was made in 1891

For some reason pic won’t upload with the right orientation.

T2C
09-13-20, 22:49
Interesting thread. In February, before the COVID nonsense started, we ran a concealed carry class and out of 12 students the youngest in the class was 68 years old and the oldest student was 87. We saw the students shoot old 1911's, S&W K Frame revolvers and one S&W revolver chambered in S&W New Police. I'll bet there wasn't a handgun made after 1960 used in the class. It was a class we did for military veterans and those boys could shoot!

Maybe the old stuff isn't so bad.

That looks like an 1888 Trapdoor Jermedic. I have one that was built in 1890.

Don't Tread On Me
09-13-20, 22:57
That looks like an 1888 Trapdoor Jermedic. I have one that was built in 1890.

Envious of the both of you. Just gotta keep telling myself, my time will come.

Jermedic
09-13-20, 23:00
Thanks for the correction on that T2C. Mine does have the spike bayonet/cleaning rod.

Honu
09-13-20, 23:04
I want the old 1980s berdan primed ammo forgot count 870 rounds or some odd case round count of 308 for like $75 to come back in style :)
That and my old HK91 to cost $550 again :)

Jermedic
09-13-20, 23:07
I just lucked into mine. Traded an extra AR for it a few years ago. Kind of interesting trading one modern military rifle for one that was cutting edge circa 1873

Don't Tread On Me
09-13-20, 23:10
Ugh, does anyone else remember being able to pick up the 200 or so round S. African battlepacks of .308 for like $40?

I also remember passing on Russian made Arsenal AKs @ $700 because that was too much money for an AK at the time.

T2C
09-14-20, 08:32
Envious of the both of you. Just gotta keep telling myself, my time will come.

Ringing steel at 300 yards with a 1888 Trapdoor is a lot of fun.

Grand58742
09-14-20, 13:29
I had to remind some of the kids I work with "your generation did not invent tight rolling your pants."

Whiskey_Bravo
09-14-20, 14:30
Per guns, at first I was on the gee wow retro craze because I had a Vietnam War fetish but after I got an SP1 and made an A1 clone and bought a CAR-15; I was good. Kinda want a retro Glock to totally “retire” my original old Glock. Otherwise I like more contemporary guns more.

Here you go if you can find it in stock.

https://www.riflegear.com/p-13765-glock-p80-gen-1.aspx

joedirt199
09-14-20, 22:49
Mullets are coming back, soooo there's that

Pi3
09-15-20, 13:20
P. F. Flyers

https://www.6pm.com/pf-flyers-center-hi-retro-athletic

chuckman
09-15-20, 13:27
I want the old 1980s berdan primed ammo forgot count 870 rounds or some odd case round count of 308 for like $75 to come back in style :)
That and my old HK91 to cost $550 again :)

My best friend's father was a co-owner of our little small-town gun shop in the 70s and early-80s. When his dad sold his share, part of the deal was he kept 5 HKs, three 91s, two 93s. He has long since passed; now his son, my friend, still has all five. One of the 91s and both 93s are still new-in-the-box-never-fired.

Honu
09-15-20, 21:04
That would be nice to have :)

HK91 still my fav toy ever those things were amazing at least I remember them a such :)

My best friend's father was a co-owner of our little small-town gun shop in the 70s and early-80s. When his dad sold his share, part of the deal was he kept 5 HKs, three 91s, two 93s. He has long since passed; now his son, my friend, still has all five. One of the 91s and both 93s are still new-in-the-box-never-fired.

SteyrAUG
09-16-20, 00:10
That would be nice to have :)

HK91 still my fav toy ever those things were amazing at least I remember them a such :)

HK91s are still amazing.

SteyrAUG
09-16-20, 00:14
Ugh, does anyone else remember being able to pick up the 200 or so round S. African battlepacks of .308 for like $40?

I also remember passing on Russian made Arsenal AKs @ $700 because that was too much money for an AK at the time.

I remember when KVar put Arsenals on sale for $400 and I think I bought a dozen of them. Flipped most of them in the $1,200 range during the Great Obama Gun Sale.

I kept my Izmash Legion 74 and a Bulgarian SLR folder in 7.62.