PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 build

High Tower
11-29-08, 22:57
OK, I am in the slow process of building a 6.5x.284 and would like ideas and suggestions based on your experiences.

I recently bought a used Remington 700 BDL .25-06 that will be the base for it. I am set on the caliber, the trigger (Jewell), and stock brand (McMillan.) The reason for the build is that I want a sniper rifle - not that I will snipe anything with it, just want it for the concept.

It will be a slow build - more than likely done while I'm in the sandbox coming up here. I would like to keep it under 2500 all told without optics. Money is not an issue, just the more it costs, the longer it will take. Our smith will be doing the build.

So what suggestions do you have. I want to do this right - I don't want to look back and say, "Ahh shit, I wish I had put this on there." etc. How do I choose which barrel to use? Which model McMillan? Do I mess with the bolt? etc.

Thanks,
Steve

RedMan*
11-29-08, 23:16

.308holes
11-30-08, 23:30
If you want a barrel from someone who knows 6.5 , try Mr. Satern

http://www.saternmachining.com/

There are ALOT of his barrels out in the precision 6.5 x .284 world.

Also Tom Manners will make a stock for you if you give him your specs (action and barrel profile), may be quicker that McMillian, but both are great stocks.

High Tower
12-01-08, 23:27
thanks guys.

Our smith does not have any barrels in stock. The rifle work he does is for another shop. It appears Satern sells thru Brownells which is a nice feature. Otherwise Brownells does Shilen and Douglas barrels which are great barrels, no?

The stock will prolly be a McMillan A2-A5 - haven't decided yet. Working on selling a Remington 700 VLS to pay for the stock.

RedMan*
12-02-08, 20:09

MOFoxtrot
12-14-08, 20:25
I am on my own custom build with a small ring mauser m93. But the choice of caliber of the 6.5 mm is a fine chioce my hunting rifle is a rem mod seven in .260 rem and it is one great round. and I understand most 6.5 are just as good.

Scott

Bigun
12-16-08, 19:57
First great choice of the long action 700, some will say that it isnt as stiff as a short action but the extra length will allow you to seat the bullet out longer to take full advantage of both case capacity and the long 140+ grain bullets, I Highly recomend the LAPUA Scenar 140. A friend of mine has one built on a older SAKO action with a Shillen barrel that will group 1/4 MOA all the way out to 500 yds and he has fired 5" groups at 1000 yds but he is new to 1000 yd shooting. I was going to have one built but with the availability of the F class Savage in that calliber I think I am going to go that route.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-16-08, 20:36
With the McMillan stocks the wait is to long and they are overrated. I have a McHALE on my 308 win.

If I could do it over I would use one of Tom Manners stocks they are stronger half the price and the wait time is less than half that of the Mcmillan you should at least check them out. He gives 15% discount for Mil/LE and he inlets for allmost anything.

I have another rifle being built by Kirby Allen right now in 260 rem on a REM SA. I thought a lot about which round to use 260,260AI or 6.5X284 and after reading and asking a lot of questions I went with the 260 and had Kirby put in a Wayatts extended Mag box.

The way I figured it the 260 will push my chosen bullet the 140g Berger VLD to (KEY WORD) AROUND 3000fps from the 28" Brux 1-8 barrel. I got my Brux barrel delivered to my smith less than a month after I ordered it.

Just my 2cents