PDA

View Full Version : Life on Venus?

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-15-20, 00:38
https://nypost.com/2020/09/14/toxic-gas-on-venus-could-point-to-life-study/

Funny, my family says that my gas points to something dying…

Trumps needs to troll the left and say that he is ordering NASA to help him reach out to the life forms so that he's the first human to contact them.....

SteyrAUG
09-15-20, 00:52
Everything we know says it is highly unlikely, but we've been wrong before.

How messed up will it be if Venus has some kind of microbial life but Mars is a completely dead planet.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-15-20, 01:07
Everything we know says it is highly unlikely, but we've been wrong before.

How messed up will it be if Venus has some kind of microbial life but Mars is a completely dead planet.

Heat is energy, you can use energy to make things. Plus, the atmosphere is dense. The whole thing is a whacked out Hydrothermal reactor. Look at the deep sea vents for what heat and pressure that is incompatible with standard life forms can make...

jpmuscle
09-15-20, 01:08
Considering the inhospitable environments we seem to find life thriving in, the bacteria in the reactor at Chernobyl for example, the statement “life as we know it” I’d argue is due for a re-tooling. The line is an absolute anachronism.

That being said the only thing I want the federal government to spend money is on NASA, space exploration, and giving money to Elon Musk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
09-15-20, 06:54
Heat is energy, you can use energy to make things. Plus, the atmosphere is dense. The whole thing is a whacked out Hydrothermal reactor. Look at the deep sea vents for what heat and pressure that is incompatible with standard life forms can make...

I was thinking of that specifically. However we believe life forms advanced to that degree of resilience. Venus would be a difficult environment, even millions of years ago as a foundation for life of any kind.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-15-20, 07:32
I thought Venus was wetter, or at least more moisture in the air. It is more of an acidic sauna.

Grand58742
09-15-20, 09:27
I've seen some chatter that there are other non-biological options that are more likely.

However, we should be checking it out for certain. Maybe throw in with the Russians on the Venera-D mission?

WillBrink
09-15-20, 09:49
https://nypost.com/2020/09/14/toxic-gas-on-venus-could-point-to-life-study/

Funny, my family says that my gas points to something dying…

Trumps needs to troll the left and say that he is ordering NASA to help him reach out to the life forms so that he's the first human to contact them.....

I recall they said similar about methane levels on mars. Interesting to be sure but likely due to a process they have not identified yet. Bit of yawn for me, but I remain ready for hard confirmation ! One damn microbe found on mars would be the most important discovery in human history to date.

Me, ready for the Snu Snu ...

The_War_Wagon
09-15-20, 09:54
I once HEARD of a man from Venus... :jester:

WillBrink
09-15-20, 09:54

The atmosphere is very dense indeed and made of sulfuric acid. I think they went with the "possible life" angle to get interest and attention, which fine by me as people should be excited and interested in space travel and research, but some plausible explanations of non organic chem reactions:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedorminey/2020/09/15/venus-life-is-still-a-longshot/#6f1f9fe11cd5

Business_Casual
09-15-20, 10:35
Seems 100% speculative.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-15-20, 12:58
It’s fun to get on the science, but what I really want is for Trump to troll all the Lefty people by saying that he was going to reach out and be the first human to talk to aliens. That would drive the lift absolutely nuts.

And when the left responds that is not intelligent life, trolls again by saying then why are you voting for Biden.