PDA

View Full Version : Question About New Bolt Carrier Group from BCM

JWill1776
09-18-20, 14:27
I just got home and in the mail was my shiny-new BCM Bolt Carrier Group. It was literally shining from the oil on it, or whatever it is they use when they ship it. What intrigued me is that the cam pin was liberally coated with grease, a light yellowish color, so much that it was kind of running out of the top and from the bolt itself inside the carrier where I could see the cam pin entering the bolt.

Any idea what this grease and why the cam pin was packed in grease like this in the BCG?

Just curious and wondering if it is a grease I should be regularly using on the cam pin like this.

I've been saving up to put together a BCM. I picked up a blem lower a while back and then the upper I wanted came back into inventory on BCM and with this BCG I'm good to go with my new BCM for just under $1250, which these days I comfortable with. I spent a lot of time here reading up on BCM.

markm
09-18-20, 14:32
Any idea what this grease and why the cam pin was packed in grease like this in the BCG?

Just curious and wondering if it is a grease I should be regularly using on the cam pin like this.

The oil is G96, but I don't know what the grease is. Lube it with whatever works good for you. Packing it in this grease likely protect the cam pin on the shelf and prevents scratching it with assembly.

You see, gun customers are often retarded. If a single scratch is on the piece, they're posting that they got a used item all over the internuts.

JWill1776
09-18-20, 14:36
:)

I just love the look, the smell, the feel of a nicely machined piece of steel!

G96? I'll have to check that out. I've never heard of it.

JWill1776
09-18-20, 14:39
OK, so I have another question. It came with a tiny little zip lock bag with an O-Ring with this note:

"Enclosed Crane O-Ring to be installed on 5.56/.223 uppers with a barel length of less than 14.5" and on all 300 Blackout uppers. The enclosed O-Ring is generally not needed for any other upper receiver group."

I assume this it to be used with the extractor, but what's the story behind this?

Disciple
09-18-20, 14:51
G96? I'll have to check that out. I've never heard of it.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?224947-CLP-wars

markm
09-18-20, 14:53
I assume this it to be used with the extractor, but what's the story behind this?

The O-ring was an idiotic solution to over-gassed guns in carbine length gas system. The extractor could slip off the case rim. Toss the oring out. it's nonsense.

Artos
09-18-20, 15:01
I just went through that whole thread & think I'll stay away from mentioning the amsoil gun lube I'm running...sensitive topic.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?224947-CLP-wars

AndyLate
09-18-20, 15:23
I don't pretend to know what the grease is, but lithium grease works well for me. I prefer a tube for neatness.

*Link is to show product, have never done business with this retailer* https://barndoorag.com/lucas-white-lithium-grease-squeeze-tube-8oz-10533/?_vsrefdom=adwords&msclkid=7adafe7556861a8cce26a1104032b5ba&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20Shop%20-%20Catch%20All%20(Barndoor%20AG)&utm_term=4581046478382993&utm_content=Catch%20All

JWill1776
09-18-20, 15:25
I'm sorry to have brought up a sore subject about gun lubes and grease in my questions. I was just curious what BCM might be using by way of grease. Mods can shut this down of course, if they feel this may lead to a poop storm

n8vmind
09-18-20, 15:51
:)

I just love the look, the smell, the feel of a nicely machined piece of steel!

G96? I'll have to check that out. I've never heard of it.G96 is govt/"military" issue CLP.

Wake27
09-18-20, 16:29
G96 is govt/"military" issue CLP.

The stuff BCM uses that they’ve said is G96 doesn’t smell like mil issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrbitalE
09-18-20, 16:52
I just went through that whole thread & think I'll stay away from mentioning the amsoil gun lube I'm running...sensitive topic.

Your gun lube is more expensive than my fancy French synthetic motor oil. LOL!

n8vmind
09-18-20, 18:07
The stuff BCM uses that they’ve said is G96 doesn’t smell like mil issue.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkG96 is touted to have NSN.
But I never bother spending extra for mystery snake oil. Just use whatever clp is on sale or mobil1.

mark5pt56
09-19-20, 06:28
Remember, lube and cleaners are like religion and politics, one can be too far to the left and right. People can get down right retarded over this stuff. That's why when people ask me what I use the directed answer was "any product designed and intended for use on firearms" --next, which would be "what do you use?" Whatever is free

IIRC Bravo Co used to include a note with the insert and the ring that said shoot the rifle with just the spring, if it doesn't work, add the insert, if that doesn't work add the ring, if that doesn't work--contact us. Of course that was with the expectation that the end user would clean and lube the gun prior to shooting and use quality ammo. My guess is they know or expect the average idiot to buy Crap ammo and not clean/lube so they at least know the gun will have lube at critical points if they add the grease/lube

JWill1776
09-19-20, 06:43
Remember, lube and cleaners are like religion and politics, one can be too far to the left and right. People can get down right retarded over this stuff. That's why when people ask me what I use the directed answer was "any product designed and intended for use on firearms" --next, which would be "what do you use?" Whatever is free

IIRC Bravo Co used to include a note with the insert and the ring that said shoot the rifle with just the spring, if it doesn't work, add the insert, if that doesn't work add the ring, if that doesn't work--contact us. Of course that was with the expectation that the end user would clean and lube the gun prior to shooting and use quality ammo. My guess is they know or expect the average idiot to buy Crap ammo and not clean/lube so they at least know the gun will have lube at critical points if they add the grease/lube

Thanks for the great information. You can close this one down if you want, question asked and answered. :)