PDA

View Full Version : 4-6 Months to Renew a US Passport

prepare
09-22-20, 17:24
Jumped through all the whoops to renew my passport today. 4-6 months before I get a new one. Thats pathetic in the US of A.
I work for one of largest package delivery services on the planet. Life here and on the job are pretty much normal. People are out and about and no masks most places.
Yet it takes big gov 4-6 months to shuffle some paper work. I don't need the passport in that time frame but thats beside the point. The most modern country in the world and thats the best they can do? Pathetic!

flenna
09-22-20, 17:52
Go down to your local Congress critter’s office and ask them to help you expedite it. Back around 2005 I had the same problem and my manager told me to do that. If I remember correctly I got my passport in 3 weeks or so.

Sam
09-22-20, 18:32
Summer of 2019 I renewed mine and it took 3 weeks.

HardToHandle
09-22-20, 21:32
Summer of 2019 I renewed mine and it took 3 weeks.

Similar for me in 2018. The official line was it was taking up to three months, but mine was in my hands in 20 days. I was a little perturbed, as I got myself a little indignant about “three $&#) Months!” and then the passport arrived before the check cleared. Maybe the government knew how important I was...

That experience may not hold in COVID, but I cannot blame a government agency for under promising and over delivering.

prepare
09-22-20, 23:52
In the past the turn around has been reasonable.
Covid was the excuse for the pathetic delay.

yoni
09-23-20, 03:33
Applied for a new USA passport in the first week in May, got it back last week of August.

Have a plane ticket for end of next week, I am thinking 50-50 chance of flight being canceled.

85cucvtom
09-23-20, 10:46
I got mine summer of 2019. I had tickets for the Honda IndyCar race in Toronto. I waited until the last minute to send everything in, paid for next day shipping there and back and the expedite fee, it was expensive but it was at my door in 2 weeks.

prepare
09-23-20, 10:55
I got mine summer of 2019. I had tickets for the Honda IndyCar race in Toronto. I waited until the last minute to send everything in, paid for next day shipping there and back and the expedite fee, it was expensive but it was at my door in 2 weeks.

All expedited services are suspended due to the big C

Grand58742
09-23-20, 11:11
This should seriously not be a surprise to anyone who has ever worked with a .gov run DMV.

You think the federal side of things is going to be more efficient?

Chick-fil-A should be in charge of such things. If the government ran as efficiently as a CFA drive thru, we would be a lot happier.

Wildcat
09-23-20, 13:23
Jumped through all the whoops to renew my passport today. 4-6 months before I get a new one. Thats pathetic in the US of A.
I work for one of largest package delivery services on the planet. Life here and on the job are pretty much normal. People are out and about and no masks most places.
Yet it takes big gov 4-6 months to shuffle some paper work. I don't need the passport in that time frame but thats beside the point. The most modern country in the world and thats the best they can do? Pathetic!

Been down that same road, last summer. About the time I was worried that it would be late, it was already en route.

On part of the form there is a question about how urgently you need the replacement. I assumed that field was used to determine how quickly they needed to get it back to you.

Also if they were super efficient, then there would be no need for 'expediting fees'.

prepare
09-23-20, 14:36
About a month or so ago my mother-in-law in Vietnam renewed her VN passport with same day service. Funny how they can do that and we can't.

yoni
09-23-20, 14:44
About a month or so ago my mother-in-law in Vietnam renewed her VN passport with same day service. Funny how they can do that and we can't.

All my other passports have been same day service. But enough said.

sundance435
09-24-20, 11:19
I'm not surprised. Have you sent anything through USPS lately? Bureaucrats at every level are using Corona as an excuse for shitty performance. Plus, they're following government Covid rules, which no one else is because they have real businesses to run.

flenna
09-24-20, 11:50
Here is our USPS at work:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mail-absentee-ballots-found-wisconsin-ditch

But don’t worry, mail in voting is totally secure.