PDA

View Full Version : PSA to buy Remington Ammo Division?

Esq.
09-24-20, 06:12
Supposedly the PSA holding company has made a $65 million dollar bid for Remingtons ammo manuf. Division....

Im sure no one here will now use Remington ammo....

Grand58742
09-24-20, 06:44
Great move for PSA if true. It's one area they haven't really expanded into.

Esq.
09-24-20, 07:05
Great move for PSA if true. It's one area they haven't really expanded into.

9mm and 5.56 Daily Deals can't start soon enough!

Straight Shooter
09-24-20, 07:20
Supposedly the PSA holding company has made a $65 million dollar bid for Remingtons ammo manuf. Division....

FYI- Remington ammo has had its share of troubles & lawsuits also. I quit buying ANYTHING/EVERYTHING Remngton some time ago.
I want nothing from that company and its current owners.
However- how wonderful would it be, if PSA..or ANYONE, would buy that great once great name...and simply go back to the way things were made before 2007 or so. Make em like they did in the 60's-90's.
I HATE seeing what theyve turned into. I really hope PSA wil take over the brand & lovingly restore it to its former glory.

Esq.
09-24-20, 07:41
FYI- Remington ammo has had its share of troubles & lawsuits also. I quit buying ANYTHING/EVERYTHING Remngton some time ago.
I want nothing from that company and its current owners.
However- how wonderful would it be, if PSA..or ANYONE, would buy that great once great name...and simply go back to the way things were made before 2007 or so. Make em like they did in the 60's-90's.
I HATE seeing what theyve turned into. I really hope PSA wil take over the brand & lovingly restore it to its former glory.

I still shoot Remington ammo. Their centerfire, core lokt bullets are some of the best for medium game at reasonable cost. Their rimfire ammo is shit. Ive always had good luck with the UMC line of training ammo.

You can't name a major ammo company that hasnt been sued. Hornady Frontier is only the most recent major line that has blown the crap out of several guns.....

MegademiC
09-24-20, 07:47
Anyone have a link?

Esq.
09-24-20, 07:55
Anyone have a link?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/remington-agrees-to-sell-ammunition-business-including-barnes-bullets-for-65-million/

Straight Shooter
09-24-20, 07:55
I still shoot Remington ammo. Their centerfire, core lokt bullets are some of the best for medium game at reasonable cost. Their rimfire ammo is shit. Ive always had good luck with the UMC line of training ammo.

You can't name a major ammo company that hasnt been sued. Hornady Frontier is only the most recent major line that has blown the crap out of several guns.....

What you say is correct..HOWEVER..those lawsuits go along with the SCORES of other ones Remington has had since the nineties.
Yes, I too loved the Core-Lokt bullets...killed scads of deer and stuff with them. Again, correct on the rimfire ammo..pure crap.
The last batch of UMC I shot & chronoed, which was a long time ago...was utter crap. Wound up just shooting it all up to get rid of it.
I just wash my hands of them, unless/until someone buys them and brings them back to former glory.

sva01
09-24-20, 07:59
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/remington-agrees-to-sell-ammunition-business-including-barnes-bullets-for-65-million/

Did you read all the way to the bottom? Some more info there:

"UPDATE: The Wall Street Journal report on which this post was based was premature. JJE Capital Holdings has put in a bid for Remington’s ammunition business. However we’ve spoken to Remington and the JJE bid is one of a number that have been received, both for Remington as a whole and for individual business lines. Most haven’t been made public yet. The bankruptcy court has until September 17th to accumulate all bids and then will finalize the sale(s) on September 24th."

Esq.
09-24-20, 08:14
Did you read all the way to the bottom? Some more info there:

"UPDATE: The Wall Street Journal report on which this post was based was premature. JJE Capital Holdings has put in a bid for Remington’s ammunition business. However we’ve spoken to Remington and the JJE bid is one of a number that have been received, both for Remington as a whole and for individual business lines. Most haven’t been made public yet. The bankruptcy court has until September 17th to accumulate all bids and then will finalize the sale(s) on September 24th."

Indeed. Thats why the thread title ends with a QUESTION MARK. Its not finalized...but, I have to believe they are one of the strongest competitors given their product diversity and expansion over the last 10 years....

jsbhike
09-24-20, 08:19
Make em like they did in the 60's. -

Might want to toss in some hearing protection. I had watched this before and never caught that part of the test firing segment. Holy Crap! I guess after the first week they didn't notice it or anything else.

https://youtu.be/c_oduKvZots

Esq.
09-24-20, 08:22
What you say is correct..HOWEVER..those lawsuits go along with the SCORES of other ones Remington has had since the nineties.
Yes, I too loved the Core-Lokt bullets...killed scads of deer and stuff with them. Again, correct on the rimfire ammo..pure crap.
The last batch of UMC I shot & chronoed, which was a long time ago...was utter crap. Wound up just shooting it all up to get rid of it.
I just wash my hands of them, unless/until someone buys them and brings them back to former glory.

I haven't bought any UMC in awhile to be fair, all of mine is from 10 years ago or so....

My real hope is that PSA could buy them and initiate some of the same quality improvements they have with their rifles. They have come a long way. Any full production, American ammo company is to be hoped for these days....

GH41
09-24-20, 08:34
PSA is part of the JJE family. I always suspected PSA was selling imported goods but after looking at the JJE site it looks like the family is capable of making anything AR in house including a forge and machine shop turning out 1800 barrels a day. https://jjech.com/

Straight Shooter
09-24-20, 08:47
Might want to toss in some hearing protection. I had watched this before and never caught that part of the test firing segment. Holy Crap! I guess after the first week they didn't notice it or anything else.

https://youtu.be/c_oduKvZots

I wept.
Thank you.

Straight Shooter
09-24-20, 08:52
I haven't bought any UMC in awhile to be fair, all of mine is from 10 years ago or so....

My real hope is that PSA could buy them and initiate some of the same quality improvements they have with their rifles. They have come a long way. Any full production, American ammo company is to be hoped for these days....

Again- I agree 100% .

09-24-20, 09:07

I’ll use the crap out of it if it is of reasonable quality and price.

ffhounddog
09-24-20, 10:14
I carry 147 grain Golden Sabers because I got 3000 of them last year. I need more.

Tony617
09-24-20, 10:16
I still have some Remington Golden Saber rounds in both 9mm and 40 S&W. I also have few boxes of their newer Golden Saber Black Belt rounds as well. Never had a malfunction using their ammunition over the years.

Grand58742
09-24-20, 10:19
I didn't realize Remington held the Barnes label as well.

Esq.
09-24-20, 10:24
I still have some Remington Golden Saber rounds in both 9mm and 40 S&W. I also have few boxes of their newer Golden Saber Black Belt rounds as well. Never had a malfunction using their ammunition over the years.

I was able, last minute, to buy some Golden Saber .38 Spl to feed some of my J Frames and other wheel guns.... It's something I had kinda neglected in favor of stocking lots of 9mm and 5.56.... Glad to have it!

sundance435
09-24-20, 11:22
I thought the ammo line was a separate company? Guess that's just Winchester. If you could close on the deal this year, the ammo part would be a pretty attractive spinoff.

I just have to say, that's a pretty big fall for a company like Remington if PSA is successful.

Tony617
09-24-20, 12:37
Please make 50 round boxes only PSA. Then you can do 500 or 1000 round cases with 50 round boxes.

Esq.
09-24-20, 12:40
Please make 50 round boxes only PSA. Then you do 500 or 1000 rounds cases with 50 round boxes.

I'd prefer that they do bulk ammo. Case of 1,000 or more 5.56 in a plastic bag and cardboard box. CHEAP and BULK. My interest in ammo is in shooting it and so I don't care how it's packaged, it's irrelevant to me, the cheaper the better.

Slater
09-24-20, 13:46
In their Ilion, NY firearms plant, looks like reductions have started:

https://wibx950.com/remington-workers-told-do-not-report-back-to-work/

Tony617
09-24-20, 14:32
I'd prefer that they do bulk ammo. Case of 1,000 or more 5.56 in a plastic bag and cardboard box. CHEAP and BULK. My interest in ammo is in shooting it and so I don't care how it's packaged, it's irrelevant to me, the cheaper the better.

That is fine by me but some indoor gun ranges I have been to prefer you not to load your magazines. They run a magnet over the ammo that you bring in and so boxes work better sometimes. I guess I can use a plastic container of some sort instead. They have had people shooting ARs within green tip ammo which messes up their back stops.

Firefly
09-24-20, 14:40
If PSA can do this then they can poverty me up a Nylon 66

Esq.
09-24-20, 14:52
If PSA can do this then they can poverty me up a Nylon 66

Ha! I used to have a pile or Remington Nylon rifles. I bought them cheap in the 90's and early 2000's. I always thought they were just cool guns. Had a Model 10, 11, 12, 76 and nearly a dozen 66's/77s. I even had a pair of the CBC clones from Brazil. They are a great collectible given the variety of models made. They are of course very pricey now and I sold most of mine off to reduce my collection and raise some cash for other projects, retaining only one I bought with my wife when we were first dating and a family heirloom.

Slater
09-24-20, 14:59
I'm surprised that PSA hasn't jumped on the "Retro" bandwagon with Brownell's and others. They seem to be popular sellers these days.

Esq.
09-24-20, 15:00
I'm surprised that PSA hasn't jumped on the "Retro" bandwagon with Brownell's and others. They seem to be popular sellers these days.

Not a time for new "niche" products. They are selling EVERYTHING they can make in standard configuration. At some point, assuming we can buy guns in 3-4 years, they may very well do that. They do lots of "neat" things or have tried to but it won't happen anytime soon.

turnburglar
09-24-20, 16:59
They just released their glock clone the 'dagger' today. Sold out immediately.

Disciple
09-24-20, 17:11
They just released their glock clone the 'dagger' today. Sold out immediately.

How much were they going for?

Esq.
09-24-20, 17:27
How much were they going for?

Original lost was $399

Grand58742
09-24-20, 17:34
I have to say, PSA has come a long way in the 12 years they've been in business. An ammo line would be the next logical step for their stores.

Greg Kulbick
09-24-20, 21:35
9mm and 5.56 Daily Deals can't start soon enough!.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200925/4cac8d1e0dc442df4deffc9269d4dd95.jpg

ChattanoogaPhil
09-27-20, 17:53
The bankruptcy court still needs to approve the successful bids, but they are as follows:

• Vista Outdoor, Inc. as the Successful Bidder pursuant to the terms of the Asset Purchase Agreement attached hereto as Exhibit A with respect to the Lonoke Ammunitions Business and certain IP assets; and SIG Sauer, Inc. as the Backup Bidder thereto pursuant to the terms of the Asset Purchase Agreement attached hereto as Exhibit B with respect to the Lonoke Ammunitions Business;

• Roundhill Group, LLC as the Successful Bidder pursuant to the terms of the Asset Purchase Agreement attached hereto as Exhibit C with respect to the non-Marlin Firearms Business; and Huntsman Holdings, LLC and Century Arms, Inc. as the Backup Bidders thereto pursuant to the terms of the Asset Purchase Agreement attached hereto as Exhibit D with respect to certain Firearms Business IP assets and Exhibit E with respect to certain non-Marlin Firearms Business inventory, respectively;

• Sierra Bullets, L.L.C. as the Successful Bidder pursuant to the terms of the Asset Purchase Agreement attached hereto as Exhibit F with respect to the Barnes Ammunitions Business; and Barnes Acquisition LLC as the Backup Bidder thereto pursuant to the terms of the Asset Purchase Agreement attached hereto as Exhibit G with respect to the Barnes Ammunitions Business;

• Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. as the Successful Bidder pursuant to the terms of the Asset Purchase Agreement attached hereto as Exhibit H with respect to the Marlin Firearms Business; and Long Range Acquisition LLC as the Backup Bidder thereto pursuant to the terms of the Asset Purchase Agreement attached hereto as Exhibit I with respect to the Marlin Firearms Business;

• JJE Capital Holdings, LLC as the Successful Bidder with respect to the DPMS, H&R, Stormlake, AAC, and Parker brands;

• Franklin Armory Holdings, Inc., or its designated assignee, as the Successful Bidder with respect to the Bushmaster brand and certain related assets; and

• Sportsman’s Warehouse, Inc. as the Successful Bidder with respect to the Tapco brand.

The hearing to approve the winning bids will take place on Tuesday, September 29.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/remington-asset-bids-revealed-ruger-gets-marlin-vista-gets-remington-ammo-franklin-armory-gets-bushmaster/

Slater
09-27-20, 19:04
With the Bushmaster/Sandy Hook lawsuit still active, wonder how Franklin Armory handles that?

Diamondback
09-27-20, 21:00
Am I the only one who has reservations about Vista collecting ammo plants like a kid does baseball cards?

Er, kids when WE were kids, who know what they collect now.

sinister
09-28-20, 10:08
Vista owns Federal.

If they can bring their quality to Remington (especially for .22 rimfire) I'm all for it.

Sierra will get Barnes -- another win.

everready73
09-28-20, 11:25
Original lost was $399

Sale price was $299

Esq.
09-28-20, 11:37
With the Bushmaster/Sandy Hook lawsuit still active, wonder how Franklin Armory handles that?

Generally those things are discharged in bankruptcy.

Grand58742
09-28-20, 11:39
I think Ruger will take care of the Marlin brand. It'll certainly add value to their existing lines with the lever actions.

Palmetto (JJE Capital) got a decent end though with picking up DPMS, AAC, Stormlake and H&R. Don't know anything about Parker.

Esq.
09-28-20, 11:39
Looks like PSA did alright......Storm Lake barrels were excellent barrels and I have several in various pistols of mine, always trouble free and accurate. The AAC part of it is interesting to me...PSA Suppressors? DPMS brings nothing to what they are already doing as far as I can tell......

Esq.
09-28-20, 11:40
I think Ruger will take care of the Marlin brand. It'll certainly add value to their existing lines with the lever actions.

Palmetto (JJE Capital) got a decent end though with picking up DPMS, AAC, Stormlake and H&R. Don't know anything about Parker.

I was glad to see Ruger ended up with Marlin. They actually have the capital and experience to make decent rifles. Damn shame what happened to Marlin.

Grand58742
09-28-20, 11:46
What happened to Para-USA? They were owned by Remington Outdoor.

Grand58742
09-28-20, 11:49
DPMS brings nothing to what they are already doing as far as I can tell...

Additional machining equipment and a new production location (Alabama). Wouldn't hurt having a manufacturing facility that isn't in a hurricane zone.

One thing though, I feel like folks are going to get a chuckle out of Palmetto picking up the Didn't Pass Military Specs brand lol

Nightvisionary
09-28-20, 12:08
Looks like PSA did alright......Storm Lake barrels were excellent barrels and I have several in various pistols of mine, always trouble free and accurate. The AAC part of it is interesting to me...PSA Suppressors? DPMS brings nothing to what they are already doing as far as I can tell......

Except for the DPMS GII 308. I would really like to see them resurrect that rifle. Remington reportedly spared no expense in R&D and materials to bring that rifle to market and promptly dropped the ball on marketing and let it die on the vine. I really like mine. Well built, solid design that is only slightly larger than my 5.56 AR's.

Esq.
09-28-20, 12:12
Except for the DPMS GII 308. I would really like to see them resurrect that rifle. Remington reportedly spared no expense in R&D and materials to bring that rifle to market and promptly dropped the ball on marketing and let it die on the vine. I really like mine. Well built, solid design that is only slightly larger than my 5.56 AR's.

That could be the one exception....But, the market has pretty much moved on at this point and the old Large Frame is pretty much the defacto standard now....There is quite a bit of interchange now between rifles, more so than at any time in the past...

MegademiC
09-28-20, 22:34
So now we Only have 2 Large domestic ammo companies: Olin and Vista.

The psa/aac Purchase is interesting for sure.

Esq.
09-29-20, 08:49
So now we Only have 2 Large domestic ammo companies: Olin and Vista.

The psa/aac Purchase is interesting for sure.

It's worse than you think. As far as I know, there are only two smokeless powder plants in the entire country- St. Marks- which produces the Olin Products and others, and Radford- a former US Military plant now run by BAE and largely contracted to ATK/Lake City.

Diamondback
09-29-20, 11:28
It's worse than you think. As far as I know, there are only two smokeless powder plants in the entire country- St. Marks- which produces the Olin Products and others, and Radford- a former US Military plant now run by BAE and largely contracted to ATK/Lake City.

THAT's a scary thought for you... only need to shutdown two facilities to cripple all Mil, LE and civilian shooters nationwide.

Esq.
09-29-20, 11:36
THAT's a scary thought for you... only need to shutdown two facilities to cripple all Mil, LE and civilian shooters nationwide.

The production of ammo is FULL to the HILT of bottlenecks like that. Priming compounds, brass blanks for drawing cases, lead and copper suppliers etc....It's pretty damn scary if you really look into it much.

Diamondback
09-29-20, 11:43
The production of ammo is FULL to the HILT of bottlenecks like that. Priming compounds, brass blanks for drawing cases, lead and copper suppliers etc....It's pretty damn scary if you really look into it much.

Yeah... I don't know whether to be relieved that terrorists usually choose 'symbolic' targets over 'strategic' ones, or worried that that pattern might be a long-term feint. Right now, we don't have the industrial capacity to go to a long-term WWII-style "war footing" if we HAD to, and most of our so-called 'allies' would either have their own problems at home or be quietly collaborating with the enemy like Merkel with Russia and Iran.

Esq.
09-29-20, 12:00
The Marlin Collectors Forum guys seem to be happy that Ruger got the Marlin assets. They are hoping Ruger can find a way to bring back the Model 39.

Slater
09-29-20, 18:35
Wall Street Journal reported a couple hours ago that the bankruptcy court approved the sales. Looks like it's a done deal.