PDA

View Full Version : The Retro movement hits breakfast cereals

Slater
09-24-20, 07:41
Doesn't this just mean they've put all the sugar back into the recipe? :p

"Golden Grahams have honey again (hasn't had honey for years), Cocoa Puffs are more chocolatey, the Cookie Crisp tastes more like chocolate chip cookies, and the classic fruity shapes are back with Trix."

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-lifestyle/general-mills-re-releases-4-popular-cereals-with-the-classic-1980s-recipes

Straight Shooter
09-24-20, 07:48
Well, I just this week started back eating TOTAL & GRAPE NUTS.
WORD TO THE WISE: Do not eat these and expect to leave the house anytime soon.
You cant.
Also- recently tried TRIX for the first time in decades. They sucked SO BAD I couldnt get thru the box. Had the most awful chemically tasting fake fruit taste I ever tasted. just awful.
Thank goodness they aint messed with Capn Crunch yet..although I did try a "limited time" flavor last summer was even worse than the Trix.

Slater
09-24-20, 07:54
Back in the day we had "Sugar Pops" and "Sugar Smacks", although the word "sugar" is a no-no these days.

flenna
09-24-20, 08:19
They going to put Caitlin Jenner back on the Wheaties box?

Straight Shooter
09-24-20, 08:22
They going to put Caitlin Jenner back on the Wheaties box?

SPEAKING of Wheaties...I just yesterday saw where General Mills is actually dropping that brand from their line up...very low/slow sales over the last few years it said.
As for Miss Thang...Lord I hope not.:nono::stop::suicide2:

OH58D
09-24-20, 09:04
Back in the day we had "Sugar Pops" and "Sugar Smacks", although the word "sugar" is a no-no these days.
And don't forget "Sugar Frosted Flakes"....now known as "Frosted Flakes". Didn't Kentucky Fried Chicken go all health craze by changing the name to an acronym "KFC" ? Fried was bad and clogged the arteries so they wanted to appear hip and healthy.

It never bothered me. While a student at the University of Arizona, there used to be joint on Speedway Blvd. in Tucson near the northwest side of campus. It's was called "Greasy Tony's". They had sweatshirts which had their logo and the wording: "No charge for extra grease". A year after I graduated, a film titled "Revenge of the Nerds" was filmed there and the character "Booger Dawson" had a Greasy Tony's shirt. Now the world is too uptight about everything.
https://i.imgur.com/jlsAeseh.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/xSNkY66m.jpg

Firefly
09-24-20, 09:36
I used to remember Saturday mornings getting up at the crack of dawn, eating either Captain Crunch or Froot Loops or THIS:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/Nintendo_Cereal_System_box_%28small%29.jpg

And then when Soul Train came on, you knew cartoons were over, so I went outside and either skateboarded or rode bikes.

I find it disingenuous that these big, GLOBALIST corporations are trying to repackage and sell us back our childhoods when they had the power to do it this whole time.

I’m not paying scalpers price on a Gen 1 Glock. I’m not playing the “limited edition” spiel. I went through that with the NES Classic. I just wanted to play some games without hour long cut scenes or suggestions or a lot of rigmarole. In the 80s you either got gud or you got game overs.

I’m not spending 3 grand on a Colt XM-177E2. They have the power and they do this.

As I have aged, I cannot do cereal anymore but they keep selling this healthy shit when we just want some sugar bombs.

I hate this bisexual, Communist, backwards ass society where you can’t have things either because of usury, the Red Chinese, or because some hippie goes to the news trying to be a hero.

Averageman
09-24-20, 09:46
We had cereal when I was really young, but as I got older I was blessed with many more siblings, so many that it became in fact cheaper to eat things like eggs from our own Chickens and fresh Milk from the Dairy down the road than Sugar Smacks.
I remember my younger Brother saw that Grandma had cereal and he lost his mind. He suffered through a giant bowl of Grandpa's "Grapenuts" one morning while I had eggs, more eggs and toast. I believe even Grandma laughed at my Brothers predicament.
I haven't had sugar in a very long time, I can't at this point imagine eating some sort of candy, let alone some Sugar Smacks.
Three cups of coffee, a dip of snuff and then off to the gym. I might eat a half dozen eggs when I get back.

Ron3
09-24-20, 09:50
I ate them, too.

They're junk. Dont even taste good to me anymore. Gross even.

I eat oatmeal (w/milk) with friut in it and Greek yogurt for breakfast. The beverage is water with a pack of vitamins added to it. Carb, fat, protein, fiber, it's all there. Probably a little too much sugar, but I burn it.

Averageman
09-24-20, 09:58
This deserves it's own post;
My Dad was an old school Paratrooper, not particularly the best at parenting, but he gave it a hell of a try. Dad making breakfast was an adventure in everything we now know not to do with food.
Start with two cans of Spam, grill it up until it's crispy. Three pieces of Spam per sandwich.
Now get some of those Kraft Cheese Slices, not real cheese, but not quite plastic.
Wonder Bread Toasted to a beautiful tan color.
Fried Hard Eggs, two per sammich.
So Wonder Bread, then cheese slice, add two eggs, then three slices of Spam more cheese and another slice of Wonder Bread.
The grease would run down to your elbow, the bread would get soggy with grease and you had to use some strategy to finish it before it fell apart.

I think there were five of us at that time, Mom was careful to limit my Dad's gastronomical experiments on kids, usually he only got away with this when she was in the Hospital and having another kid.
It's a wonder those sandwiches didn't lock up our hearts.

ffhounddog
09-24-20, 10:12
I eat Frosted Flakes for the past 15 months M-F to go to work. It works.

Tony617
09-24-20, 10:19
Do they use real sugar in their cereal now? Or have been using HFC for the sweetening their cereal? I guess I could look it up.

Jellybean
09-24-20, 10:29
Thank goodness they aint messed with Capn Crunch yet..although I did try a "limited time" flavor last summer was even worse than the Trix.

Heh... oh, there's rumors that will be changing too... because 'Cap is 'racis' and doesn't represent blah blah blah', you know the spiel.

Firefly
09-24-20, 10:31
Heh... oh, there's rumors that will be changing too... because 'Cap is 'racis' and doesn't represent blah blah blah', you know the spiel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwHf_06A-P0

pag23
09-24-20, 12:42
Well, I just this week started back eating TOTAL & GRAPE NUTS.
WORD TO THE WISE: Do not eat these and expect to leave the house anytime soon.
You cant.
Also- recently tried TRIX for the first time in decades. They sucked SO BAD I couldnt get thru the box. Had the most awful chemically tasting fake fruit taste I ever tasted. just awful.

Add Crackling Oat Bran to that list of bullet train bathroom trips .. Everything now I believe, doesn't have the high fructose corn syrup.

titsonritz
09-24-20, 13:10
Because America is not fat enough.

ABNAK
09-24-20, 14:07
Honeycombs. FTW!!!

Ron3
09-24-20, 14:14
My Dad was an old school Paratrooper, not particularly the best at parenting, but he gave it a hell of a try. Dad making breakfast was an adventure in everything we now know not to do with food.
Start with two cans of Spam, grill it up until it's crispy. Three pieces of Spam per sandwich.
Now get some of those Kraft Cheese Slices, not real cheese, but not quite plastic.
So Wonder Bread, then cheese slice, add two eggs, then three slices of Spam more cheese and another slice of Wonder Bread.
The grease would run down to your elbow, the bread would get soggy with grease and you had to use some strategy to finish it before it fell apart.

I think there were five of us at that time, Mom was careful to limit my Dad's gastronomical experiments on kids, usually he only got away with this when she was in the Hospital and having another kid.

Uuughhhh....your poor blood and colon...

Averageman
09-24-20, 16:37
Uuughhhh....your poor blood and colon...

It was the Sixties, what can I say?

Firefly
09-24-20, 16:40

If you weren’t drinking lukewarm Red color Kool Aid then I will be forced to call BS.

(Because my old man did the same thing)

Jellybean
09-24-20, 17:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwHf_06A-P0

YES!
"Silly rabbit... tricks are for kids!"
I miss Carleton's epic freakouts. And Jazz getting thrown out of the house. Ah... the glory days of sit-com will be missed.

...Dad making breakfast was an adventure in everything we now know not to do with food.
The grease would run down to your elbow, the bread would get soggy with grease and you had to use some strategy to finish it before it fell apart.....

And that's how we got the last generation of real men. We will never see their like again because people are to afraid to feed their kid anything with sugar, gluten, meat, and anything else that actually made life awesome. Like, you gotta test your kids, man. If their body can survive a gastronomic assault like that from time to time, they're probably going to stay pretty healthy. :laugh:

Honu
09-24-20, 17:37
Best cereal ever Puffa Puffa Rice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLNlTq79UQ4

SteyrAUG
09-24-20, 17:45
I want REAL Capt. Crunch with Crunchberries. The kind that were so impervious to milk the crunch berries would shred the roof of your mouth to a mild pulp.

The only one that really hasn't changed is Quisp but you have to go looking for it and it isn't bargain priced or anything.

Don't care about the other ones, I eat Raisin Bran Crunch most of the time. If I could bring one back, it would be Buckwheats. That stuff was awesome.

Honu
09-24-20, 17:46
That and quisp shape would make the milk go all over
good days

I eat no breakfast anymore unless its a glass of water with some ACV in it :) one meal a day all meat :)

I want REAL Capt. Crunch with Crunchberries. The kind that were so impervious to milk the crunch berries would shred the roof of your mouth to a mild pulp.

The only one that really hasn't changed is Quisp but you have to go looking for it and it isn't bargain priced or anything.

Don't care about the other ones, I eat Raisin Bran Crunch most of the time. If I could bring one back, it would be Buckwheats. That stuff was awesome.

Slater
09-24-20, 17:48
Quisp used to have a sort of companion cereal called "Quake", but I haven't seen that around for decades.

Honu
09-24-20, 17:49
Spam and eggs are awesome :)
Hawaiian thing but spam is huge and still on McDonalds menu

Actually the spam and eggs alone is more healthy then the modern crap its just the bread and fake cheese :) real cheese spam and eggs would be healthy

ABNAK
09-24-20, 17:52

They still make that shit? lol

ABNAK
09-24-20, 17:54
Averageman,

Do not feel ashamed. What your dad made for you sounds mighty friggin' tasty!

(that's what they make cholesterol meds for!)

SteyrAUG
09-24-20, 18:38
They still make that shit? lol

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quisp-Crunchy-Corn-Cereal-8-5-oz-Pack-of-12/27617757?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227018944863&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40891258232&wl4=pla-78820771472&wl5=9017876&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=27617757&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwh7H7BRBBEiwAPXjadlHtBrioJ41sYH7mSQ3zvkxaefeiFh_T01H8y2czRmcTurGK-bafxRoChb8QAvD_BwE

It's worth doing one time simply because certain tastes fire up memories from 40+ years ago that were all the way in the back of the garage.

jsbhike
09-25-20, 07:53
Back in the day we had... "Sugar Smacks", .

Reading up on that now. Smacks was the one with the frog Dig'um when I was really young that switched to a bear later in childhood when I would have had more solid details on memory. I went from sometime in the later 80's until this morning thinking the frog was some kind of vivid early childhood imagination thing for me.

nick84
09-25-20, 08:16
I've lost interest in all but Cheerios and fruit. I usually allow myself to be supervised when I grocery shop and the cereal aisle is one reason why, but I may have to put my foot down sometime soon for the sake of nostalgia. Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs are the kitty's titties.

ABNAK
09-25-20, 19:13
Okay, maybe some of you old[er] bastages like myself (I'm 55) can remember what I'm talking about. "Back in the day" there was one cereal that you got a toy dinosaur in. I want to say it was Quisp but not sure. Maybe very late 60's and early 70's? I recall having the T-Rex and Brontosaurus.

SteyrAUG
09-26-20, 01:13
Okay, maybe some of you old[er] bastages like myself (I'm 55) can remember what I'm talking about. "Back in the day" there was one cereal that you got a toy dinosaur in. I want to say it was Quisp but not sure. Maybe very late 60's and early 70's? I recall having the T-Rex and Brontosaurus.

Christ that could be anything. I once bought Vanilla Capt Crunch (just terrible) in order to get some cool toy inside. But for me, the Quisp flying copter was probably the best "functional" cereal toy.

Honu
09-26-20, 01:25
maybe one of the pebbles ? cocoa pebbles or fruity pebbles ? since they were about Flintstones

MistWolf
09-26-20, 02:24
Reading up on that now. Smacks was the one with the frog Dig'um when I was really young that switched to a bear later in childhood when I would have had more solid details on memory. I went from sometime in the later 80's until this morning thinking the frog was some kind of vivid early childhood imagination thing for me.

Sugar Bear was the mascot for Post "Sugar Crisp" cereal.

Dig'em the frog was the mascot for Kellogg's Sugar Smacks. Before the frog, Kellogg's used Cliffy the Clown, Smaxey the Seal and Quickdraw McGraw.

SteyrAUG
09-26-20, 05:14
Thank GOD it's almost October.

Count Chocula, Frankenberry, Boo Berry and if you look real hard, Fruit Brute and Fruity Yummy Mummy.

Bulletdog
09-26-20, 12:26
I grew up in the 70's and 80's eating Alpha bits, Honeycomb, Crunch Berries, Sugar Smacks, Frosted Flakes, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs, Lucky Charms (They're magically delicious), Fruit Loops, Apple Jax, Trix... Breakfast of Champions! I drew the line at Strawberry Shortcake Cereal. A little Japanese girl threw that up in the line up at the morning bell in the second grade and it started a hurl-fest with about two dozen other kids hurling when they saw, heard and smelled her puking. I got out of line and quickly but carefully extricated myself from that scene. Had to really watch my step. It was strictly forbidden to get out of line, and I can remember distinctly thinking for the first time "F*ck it! I don't care about the rules. I'm out!" Extenuating circumstances, ya know? That day started a trend of me questioning all the "rules" that continues to this day.

Now I've switched to much healthier breakfast options: Rice Chex (with gobs of sugar on top and a banana), Raisin Bran, Cinnamon Life (Hey Mikey! He likes it!), Frosted Mini Wheats, Honey Bunches of Oats (With Almonds). I still sneak some Lucky Charms into the rotation though.

A few years ago I switched to Almond milk instead of real milk. Saves a few calories and its tolerable. Gotta be the right brand and type though. Blue Diamond, Original, Unsweetened.

Mmmmmm... I love me some cereal.

Slater
09-26-20, 12:32
Plain old Corn Flakes and Cheerios don't seem to generate much excitement nowadays.

ABNAK
09-26-20, 20:23
I grew up in the 70's and 80's eating Alpha bits, Honeycomb, Crunch Berries, Sugar Smacks, Frosted Flakes, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs, Lucky Charms (They're magically delicious), Fruit Loops, Apple Jax, Trix... Breakfast of Champions! I drew the line at Strawberry Shortcake Cereal. A little Japanese girl threw that up in the line up at the morning bell in the second grade and it started a hurl-fest with about two dozen other kids hurling when they saw, heard and smelled her puking. I got out of line and quickly but carefully extricated myself from that scene. Had to really watch my step. It was strictly forbidden to get out of line, and I can remember distinctly thinking for the first time "F*ck it! I don't care about the rules. I'm out!" Extenuating circumstances, ya know? That day started a trend of me questioning all the "rules" that continues to this day.

Now I've switched to much healthier breakfast options: Rice Chex (with gobs of sugar on top and a banana), Raisin Bran, Cinnamon Life (Hey Mikey! He likes it!), Frosted Mini Wheats, Honey Bunches of Oats (With Almonds). I still sneak some Lucky Charms into the rotation though.

A few years ago I switched to Almond milk instead of real milk. Saves a few calories and its tolerable. Gotta be the right brand and type though. Blue Diamond, Original, Unsweetened.

Mmmmmm... I love me some cereal.

As an aside, anyone remember the urban legend from the 70's that the real "Mikey" ate a couple bags of "pop rocks" and then drank a bunch of Pepsi? Supposedly it burst his stomach and killed him. Of course I don't believe that ever occurred.

jpmuscle
09-26-20, 21:41
I’d like it if we could get cocaine back in Coca Cola .

Also I’d like to see a return of retro McDonald’s and the like. Yea food is trash (SPICY NUGS ARE GOD TIER) but vintage aesthetics would still be nice imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly
09-26-20, 22:24
Seconding Yayo Coke.

At one time in this country you could buy cocaine cola, buy morphine over the counter, buy machine guns over the counter, and buy everything from women to a Craftsman house from a catalogue. And dueling was not only legal but ENCOURAGED as a means to settle disputes.

And just......look at us now.

Are ya winning yet?

SteyrAUG
09-26-20, 23:25
Seconding Yayo Coke.

At one time in this country you could buy cocaine cola, buy morphine over the counter, buy machine guns over the counter, and buy everything from women to a Craftsman house from a catalogue. And dueling was not only legal but ENCOURAGED as a means to settle disputes.

And just......look at us now.

Are ya winning yet?

I can still remember my Grandfather telling me about how his dad would send him to the hardware store for a pail of nails and you could buy dynamite by the stick or case and they had a few Thompsons on the wall.

SteyrAUG
09-26-20, 23:30
As an aside, anyone remember the urban legend from the 70's that the real "Mikey" ate a couple bags of "pop rocks" and then drank a bunch of Pepsi? Supposedly it burst his stomach and killed him. Of course I don't believe that ever occurred.

It was pop rocks and a COKE, weak pepsi shit could never kill a kid and even WE knew that.

Yeah that got passed around as fact for a long time. I still remember the first couple of years of SNOPES (before they began t engage in political fiction) and sending links to all of the now grown up adults who still believed that nonsense. They debunked about 65% of my childhood.

SteyrAUG
09-26-20, 23:36
I’d like it if we could get cocaine back in Coca Cola .

Also I’d like to see a return of retro McDonald’s and the like. Yea food is trash (SPICY NUGS ARE GOD TIER) but vintage aesthetics would still be nice imo.

For the love of all that is holy, I would allow cocaine coca cola if they'd simply bring back REAL french fries at McDonalds. Those were almost the greatest French Fries in the history of the planet. But noooooo, we have to sell to McDonalds in India so it can't have animal fat or whatever those cheesedicks problems were. And rather than just create special french fries for India, McDickheads had to standardize around the lowest common denominator.

I remember in Germany Coca Cola having lime in the formula and I knew it tasted different but had to read the ingredients to understand why. So if Coke can add LIME for the goddamn Germans, you would think McDonalds can do some "No cow french fries" for India....but I guess that is too much to ask. I try to like India as generally they are actually an ally in most things AND they gave us the kama sutra...but forever fvcking up McDonalds french fries is a lot to forgive.

AndyLate
09-27-20, 00:10
About the only cold cereal I remember eating is grape nuts or shredded wheat. Not the little spoon size with sugar added - the big haybale looking bricks. One or two in a bowl with a spoon of sugar and unpasteurized whole milk (we had milk cows). Cold cereal was honestly a rare treat. I remember I liked going to my cousin's house because we ate ridiculously sweet cold cereal.

Normal cereal was oatmeal, corn meal mush, or cream of wheat (farina) at a minimum. Toast/pancakes, eggs, ham/sausage, fried potatoes, half a grapefruit and one of the aforementioned hot cereals was a normal breakfast in the winter and we would burn it all off and be starving by lunch.

Andy

The_War_Wagon
09-27-20, 06:16
Are THESE making a comeback? :jester:

https://eatmywords.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834c99c6069e201157012802b970b-600wi

Evel Baldgui
09-27-20, 08:04
I recall those breakfast cereals of my youth, all that was ever purchased at home was the rare box of corn flakes thankfully. Very happy I never ate that garbage growing up.

jpmuscle
09-27-20, 09:52
I can still remember my Grandfather telling me about how his dad would send him to the hardware store for a pail of nails and you could buy dynamite by the stick or case and they had a few Thompsons on the wall.

We’ve fallen so far as a nation.....

jpmuscle
09-27-20, 09:53
For the love of all that is holy, I would allow cocaine coca cola if they'd simply bring back REAL french fries at McDonalds. Those were almost the greatest French Fries in the history of the planet. But noooooo, we have to sell to McDonalds in India so it can't have animal fat or whatever those cheesedicks problems were. And rather than just create special french fries for India, McDickheads had to standardize around the lowest common denominator.

I remember in Germany Coca Cola having lime in the formula and I knew it tasted different but had to read the ingredients to understand why. So if Coke can add LIME for the goddamn Germans, you would think McDonalds can do some "No cow french fries" for India....but I guess that is too much to ask. I try to like India as generally they are actually an ally in most things AND they gave us the kama sutra...but forever fvcking up McDonalds french fries is a lot to forgive.

I’m not crying

You’re crying

flenna
09-27-20, 09:57
We’ve fallen so far as a nation.....

Yeah, my Dad used to send me to the corner store for beer and cigarettes. I'd walk in and say "two packs of Kool Ultras and a six pack of Olympia. It's for my Dad". I'd ride home on my bike carrying a sack of beer and cigs and never got hassled for it.

Slater
09-27-20, 10:28
It's 1970. I'm 10 years old. Riding my bike without a helmet (and so did all the other kids. Did bike helmets even exist back then?). Nobody I knew had a peanut allergy, and fried foods were the norm (in the South, anyway). No Internet. No computers. No cell phones. TV had all of 6 channels. And nobody ever heard of gluten.

Of course, we all tend to remember the pleasant things. I'd rather go to the dentist in 2020 than 1970. And I had to suffer through chicken pox and the mumps as there were no vaccines at that time.

And who knew the muscle cars that I saw driving around all the time would be worth so much money today?

Averageman
09-27-20, 10:45
It's 1970. I'm 10 years old. Riding my bike without a helmet (and so did all the other kids. Did bike helmets even exist back then?). Nobody I knew had a peanut allergy, and fried foods were the norm (in the South, anyway). No Internet. No computers. No cell phones. TV had all of 6 channels. And nobody ever heard of gluten.

Of course, we all tend to remember the pleasant things. I'd rather go to the dentist in 2020 than 1970. And I had to suffer through chicken pox and the mumps as there were no vaccines at that time.

And who knew the muscle cars that I saw driving around all the time would be worth so much money today?

I would say we had similar Childhoods, However when they added the third trash can and raised the ramp about ten degrees, Well I wimped out and put on an old football helmet. \
Evil did it, so it isn't all bad.

The_War_Wagon
09-27-20, 12:24

That was my hi skrule PARKING lot in the early '80's!!! :eek:

https://pics.me.me/not-a-car-show-a-earlv-80s-high-school-parking-42148824.png

Firefly
09-27-20, 12:51
That was my hi skrule PARKING lot in the early '80's!!! :eek:

https://pics.me.me/not-a-car-show-a-earlv-80s-high-school-parking-42148824.png

We all know ol buddy with the van probably got more tail than the guys with sports cars