PDA

View Full Version : Wrist strain w/ Magpul MFG

BoringGuy45
09-24-20, 19:32
I've found that when I use the thumb break grip with my Magpul MFG (mounted on a Centurion M-Lok fore end) I get a sore, strained feeling from the knuckle on my pinky almost all the way to my elbow. I notice it more after use rather than during; I also notice that it's as bad or worse if I just the MFG as a hand stop. Has anyone else had this? Would the slight angle of the BCM vertical grip help this? Are there any other remedies for this (changing grip techniques, adjusting the stock, moving the grip forward or backward, etc.)?

vandal5
09-24-20, 19:38
I've found that when I use the thumb break grip with my Magpul MFG (mounted on a Centurion M-Lok fore end) I get a sore, strained feeling from the knuckle on my pinky almost all the way to my elbow. I notice it more after use rather than during; I also notice that it's as bad or worse if I just the MFG as a hand stop. Has anyone else had this? Would the slight angle of the BCM vertical grip help this? Are there any other remedies for this (changing grip techniques, adjusting the stock, moving the grip forward or backward, etc.)?Quick picture on how you are actually using it?

My middle finger pretty much lands at the top touching the rail.

And for clarification, I have the rvg mounted to a Geisselle MK8 via the magpul rvg to mlok mount. Just had the 2 grooves in it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BoringGuy45
09-24-20, 20:00
Quick picture on how you are actually using it?

My middle finger pretty much lands at the top touching the rail.

And for clarification, I have the rvg mounted to a Geisselle MK8 via the magpul rvg to mlok mount. Just had the 2 grooves in it.

MegademiC
09-24-20, 21:05
I believe the bcm angled grip would help.

El Vaquero
09-24-20, 21:24
Try it more like I hand stop. Think thumbs forward pistol grip support hand style. Where your fingers aren’t really wrapped around the MFG. I run my tape switch on top similar to you but rest my thumb just forward of it but where I can move it back just a half inch or so to activate my light without changing my grip. I even grind mine down to make them more stubby-like.

titsonritz
09-24-20, 23:53
Try it more like I hand stop. Think thumbs forward pistol grip support hand style. Where your fingers aren’t really wrapped around the MFG. I run my tape switch on top similar to you but rest my thumb just forward of it but where I can move it back just a half inch or so to activate my light without changing my grip. I even grind mine down to make them more stubby-like.

^^^This. I practically hook my wrist on it.

Steve-0-
09-24-20, 23:57

I grip my vfg the same way regardless of the manufacturer and dont experience wrist strain

vandal5
09-25-20, 04:57
63837That is exactly what I do.

BoringGuy45
09-25-20, 07:46
I grip my vfg the same way regardless of the manufacturer and dont experience wrist strain

Maybe I'm aggravating an old injury or something.

I think I'll try training by using the vfg as a handstop for awhile and see if that works.

Renegade04
09-25-20, 08:23
Maybe I'm aggravating an old injury or something.

I think I'll try training by using the vfg as a handstop for awhile and see if that works.

That is why I prefer a handstop these days. I like to keep my wrist as straight as possible. Here is one setup I have with a Centurion handguard.

https://i.imgur.com/1fluM1F.jpg

Here is another I have set up with a BCM Mid-16 Mod 2 and a weaponlight using the BCM KAG and a top-mounted tape switch. I rest the heel of my palm on this one due to the handguard length (mid-length).
https://i.imgur.com/K7hpKD2.jpg

Even on my M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone that uses a TangoDown VFG, I stil use the VFG as a handstop. Note the tape switch mounted on the top rail.
https://i.imgur.com/FLUKTmn.jpg

RHINOWSO
09-25-20, 08:53
I grip similarly and also disliked the Magpul offering and prefer the BCM with it's slight angle back.

ReaperAZ
09-25-20, 09:52
I prefer the BCM KAG on my rifles. With having had both wrists injured in motorcycle crashes I find the KAG far more forgiving as it keeps my wrist in a more comfortable angle then a vert grip with my hand all choked up.

Esq.
09-25-20, 12:47
Never saw the use of these since I have real rails on my rifles. The originals were simply to allow a grip on a handguard that was covered by lights, lasers etc...on the shorty M4 handguard.

Hank6046
09-25-20, 13:44
That is exactly what I do.

I have a tango down on my old DD, and a DD on my A4 'clone'. I haven't had any problems with them.

BoringGuy45
10-06-20, 10:47
So the BCM vertical grip appears to have done the trick. The Magpul VFG was too straight, the Magpul AFG didn't give me a good grip on the rifle, and the BCM KFG actually created more strain. The BCM split the difference and not only is the most comfortable, but gives me the best grip and control.

However, I think a good part of the straining feeling is actually some old injury that's getting aggravated by having my wrist in those positions rather than shortcomings with these designs though.