PDA

View Full Version : Linear Compensator for an "Everything Else" Carbine

AndyLate
09-27-20, 09:43
There is an excellent "sticky" thread on General Purpose carbines that is biased towards home/self defense, patrol rifles, SHTF - fighting guns first.

My question assumes a reverse of that bias and leans towards hunting, range, ranch rifle-type use while still remaining a valid fighting gun. Competition is outside the use case. To keep the debate focused, let's assume a 16 - 20" 5.56 carbine.

Within those conditions is a linear compensator more appropriate than a traditional flash hider or combination FH/brake?

Is hiding flash with some compensation more important than pushing the muzzle 1.5" further from the shooter?

Why aren't linear compensators more popular?

Andy

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-27-20, 10:16
What is the desired result you're looking to get from a linear comp on a 16-20" rifle?

The best linear comp on the market is the BRT Covert Comp. Most are just glorified flash cans but the BRT actually pushes the blast forward and offers flash reduction that is so good it's hard to tell the difference between it and an A2 birdcage. I use them on my 10.5 and 11.5" guns but I don't see much point using one on a rifle.

AndyLate
09-27-20, 10:30
What is the desired result you're looking to get from a linear comp on a 16-20" rifle?

The best linear comp on the market is the BRT Covert Comp. Most are just glorified flash cans but the BRT actually pushes the blast forward and offers flash reduction that is so good it's hard to tell the difference between it and an A2 birdcage. I use them on my 10.5 and 11.5" guns but I don't see much point using one on a rifle.

My desired result from using a linear comp is reducing blast at the shooter' and/or companion's ear. That is the only advantage I am aware of over other muzzle devices.

I also have a BRT comp on a short (11.3") barrel and mine started life on a 20" gun. I did not realize they are more effective than competitors' offerings, but I knew the quality is there.

EDIT - as Turnburglar pointed out, the blast of the 20" barrel is mild enough that I did not notice a difference when I replaced it with an A2 and moved it to an 11.3" barrel.

turnburglar
09-27-20, 11:36
For a longer barrel 16+" an A2 is basically the same as a linear compensator. I used to have a big can on the front of my 10.5" and it made it blast similar to my 14.5. But once the barrel length gets longer, the effect of blast reduction isn't as significant. I remember shooting the 20" M16A2's in basic with an A2 flash hider and it was remarkably pleasant.

Stickman
09-27-20, 11:50
Linear Comps have not been overly effective from what I have seen in first hand use.

Sgt_Gold
09-27-20, 19:21
I don't remember the brands, but a friend of mine had two different LC's on two different SBR's. One was noticeably more effective than the other. The better one significantly reduced the noise signature, the other one had almost no effect.

MistWolf
09-28-20, 02:01
Linear Comps have not been overly effective from what I have seen in first hand use.

I find that compared to a Battlecomp & an A2 birdcage, the BRT Covert Comp has significantly reduced side blast when used on an 11.5 inch barrel. The Covert Comp virtually eliminates side blast. Of course it is still loud. It's not a muffler! :D

CoryCop25
09-28-20, 03:45
I have a BRT Covert Comp on a 10.3" gun. It is noticeably less blast than an A2 on a 10.3'. I was quite surprised. Looks pretty good too!

GH41
09-28-20, 08:38

I'd like to see a side by side comparison to a bare muzzle. The few I've been around sound like over priced thread protectors to me.

09-28-20, 10:11
I'd like to see a side by side comparison to a bare muzzle. The few I've been around sound like over priced thread protectors to me.

Same.

MistWolf
09-28-20, 11:23
Concussion & fireball from a bare muzzle goes everywhere! From a 16 inch barrel 5.56 at an indoor range, the muzzle blast from a bare muzzle is louder and more concussive to those standing at or behind the firing line than the same barrel with an A2.

ForteeFiveSeventee
09-28-20, 12:18
The A2 is probably my favorite flash hider and I don't use muzzle brakes. I replaced all of my A2s with the BRT Covert Comp because it's about the same size but it reduces muzzle flash almost the same as the A2 in my experience, and the noise is not as bad, especially off to the sides of the guns. It has more of a push feeling to the recoil compared to the A2, but the recoil of 5.56 is laughable compared to my namesake.

ColtSeavers
09-29-20, 23:37

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar-15-flash-hider-shootout/
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/556-muzzle-device-shootout/

AndyLate
09-30-20, 08:20
The A2 is probably my favorite flash hider and I don't use muzzle brakes. I replaced all of my A2s with the BRT Covert Comp because it's about the same size but it reduces muzzle flash almost the same as the A2 in my experience, and the noise is not as bad, especially off to the sides of the guns. It has more of a push feeling to the recoil compared to the A2, but the recoil of 5.56 is laughable compared to my namesake.

That is what I am considering doing. Maybe I just need to shut up and order another Covert Comp, put it on a 16" gun and hit the range.

I am convinced that the Covert Comp I am running on my 11.3" pistol is absolutely worth it, by the way.

Andy

Clint
10-11-20, 19:23
Our Covert Comp does a very nice job with flash and beats out all other linear comps in that regard.

Using the LUX numbers from the TTAG roundup, a bare muzzle is 10k LUX and an A2 FH is 1/2 LUX, so that brackets the useful range of values.

The Covert Comp is 2 LUX and in the ballpark of other good combo devices such as MAMS, FSC556 and BATTLECOMP.

The Claymore is 158 LUX, which is much worse.

The Covert Comp's biggest feature is the blast reduction, but flash performance is literally night and day compared to a bare muzzle.

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/FH-chart-all-data.jpg

Mercs
10-11-20, 20:31
Our Covert Comp does a very nice job with flash and beats out all other linear comps in that regard.

Using the LUX numbers from the TTAG roundup, a bare muzzle is 10k LUX and an A2 FH is 1/2 LUX, so that brackets the useful range of values.

The Covert Comp is 2 LUX and in the ballpark of other good combo devices such as MAMS, FSC556 and BATTLECOMP.

The Claymore is 158 LUX, which is much worse.

The Covert Comp's biggest feature is the blast reduction, but flash performance is literally night and day compared to a bare muzzle.

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/FH-chart-all-data.jpg

I just tested a covert comp on my Bren 2s 7.62x39 pistol and I like it. Any chance of getting these in 14x1 LH in the near future for AK pistols, so no adapter is needed? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vicious_cb
10-12-20, 13:27
I dont know how the BRT works but in general things like the Noveske flaming pig had problems over the lifespan of the rifle with the pig clogging up with carbon.

Disciple
10-12-20, 13:52
A carbon solvent doesn't fix it?

10-12-20, 14:48
I dont know how the BRT works but in general things like the Noveske flaming pig had problems over the lifespan of the rifle with the pig clogging up with carbon.

The picture Ned posted had like a bazillion rounds on it, no?

ForteeFiveSeventee
10-13-20, 09:09
I have at least a bazillion rounds through one of my ARs which has had a BRT Covert Comp on it since new. Gas blows carbon out. It's hardly anything like the crap that builds up from running an AR suppressed. I seriously doubt it will cause any issues.