PDA

View Full Version : 5.56 or 6.8

StalkingWolf
11-30-08, 16:17
Hey guys, new to the forum but not new to firearms.
Currently have a bushmaster in 223 and I love it but I need more. I was going to get a .308 but I keep hearing about reliability issues with higher round counts.
I've been contemplating a 6.8 for a while but the cost of ammo/mags is kind of high.
223 just doesn't cut it for me, I need a stronger round with more capability at a distance further than the 223 can do.
Is the 6.8 the right caliber to get? What is the best rifle in 6.8 to get?

Im looking for an AR platform with rail system. Mid length barrel (between 14 and 16 in)

Thanks for the help

Dave L.
11-30-08, 16:52
Your availability in 6.8 barrels will get a lot better in a month or 2. I would wait until a couple big companies come out with the correct chambers and twist rate.
I had 3 5.56 AR's before I got into 6.8.
The only reason I bought a 6.8 is to deer hunt with an AR. They are still between $.79-$1.49 a round, kind of expensive.
I just had money to blow, but it's an expensive road to do it right.

Ring
12-05-08, 12:10
more capability at a distance

then look at 6.5, not 6.8 or a AR10 in something other then 308

StalkingWolf
12-05-08, 12:19
I've decided to buy an XCR in 6.8 SPC and purchase the other configs later including 5.56, 7.62 and 6.5

I love the look of the rifle and the adaptability is nice. Simple to switch out everything so I think it's the best choice. Great modular weapon system.

Dave L.
12-05-08, 12:23
I've decided to buy an XCR in 6.8 SPC and purchase the other configs later including 5.56, 7.62 and 6.5

I love the look of the rifle and the adaptability is nice. Simple to switch out everything so I think it's the best choice. Great modular weapon system.

Did they quote you a wait time yet? Do you know what twist rate and chamber RA uses for their 6.8?
Why not start with the 7.62X39 XCR, might be easier to find ammo and cheaper shoot?

StalkingWolf
12-05-08, 12:48
Did they quote you a wait time yet? Do you know what twist rate and chamber RA uses for their 6.8?
Why not start with the 7.62X39 XCR, might be easier to find ammo and cheaper shoot?

Don't know about the wait time.
They use a 1/9 twist on a heavy barrel, 16"

If it's a longer wait on the 6.8 then I would get the 7.62 but we'll see. I've made decision on WHAT rifle to buy, the XCR, now I need to set the money aside so I will find out the wait times.
I would get a SCAR-L but I'm not sure who to go through for that although I do know people are putting deposits down/purchasing them.

4th_Point
12-05-08, 17:00
You should look into those questions that Dave mentioned. The "latest" developments to the 6.8 include different chambers (DMR, SPCII) and twists (slow).

I personally would not buy a 6.8 SPC with SAAMI spec chamber in 9 twist. 68forums has a lot of good info if you don't get responses here or elsewhere.

Dave L.
12-05-08, 17:05
Don't know about the wait time.
They use a 1/9 twist on a heavy barrel, 16"

If it's a longer wait on the 6.8 then I would get the 7.62 but we'll see. I've made decision on WHAT rifle to buy, the XCR, now I need to set the money aside so I will find out the wait times.
I would get a SCAR-L but I'm not sure who to go through for that although I do know people are putting deposits down/purchasing them.

Ya, 1/9 twist is a deal breaker for me. 1/11 or 1/12 is the only way to go for 6.8.
The 7.62 is IMHO the best bet because it wont cost you $1 per shot like 6.8 will.

jlunn
12-10-08, 13:01
I think the Robarm barrels are pretty good. They have spc II chambers,are rifled with 4 grooves. They do have 1/10 twist. I have a couple (16" and 12"). Accurate and without issues. No obvious pressure problems but only a handfull of ssa combat down range.Plenty of other ssa and hornady ammo. Regards,

deltaARman
12-15-08, 00:08
I've had many ar's through out the years, mainly rock river and armalite, both great manufactures but my ar 10 (T) is my baby. I recently got a rock 6.8 with the sammi 1 barrel, didn't have much trouble with it but i didn't like the 1/9 twist, I sold it and now im eagerly awaiting my new 6.8 with the sammi 2. I've shot just about every caliber through the ar platform except the earlier 30-06 models (i heard someone is making them again?) and I'm pretty new in the world of 6.8, but the 6.8 is becoming my favorite round for the ar platform.

thedog
12-15-08, 00:47
Hey, StalkingWolf.

First, welcome!!

Second, what are you going to use the weapon for? This could help people answer you even better.

dog

constructor
12-16-08, 21:51
I think the Robarm barrels are pretty good. They have spc II chambers,are rifled with 4 grooves. They do have 1/10 twist. I have a couple (16" and 12"). Accurate and without issues. No obvious pressure problems but only a handfull of ssa combat down range.Plenty of other ssa and hornady ammo. Regards,

Not 10 twist for long, Alex Robinson emailed me today and said he has 11 twist barrels on the way.

Cold
12-16-08, 23:18
I've had many ar's through out the years, mainly rock river and armalite, both great manufactures but my ar 10 (T) is my baby. I recently got a rock 6.8 with the sammi 1 barrel, didn't have much trouble with it but i didn't like the 1/9 twist, I sold it and now im eagerly awaiting my new 6.8 with the sammi 2. I've shot just about every caliber through the ar platform except the earlier 30-06 models (i heard someone is making them again?) and I'm pretty new in the world of 6.8, but the 6.8 is becoming my favorite round for the ar platform.

IF thats the case, you need to read here, 68fans united...

www.68forums.com

deltaARman
12-17-08, 00:07
Didn't take a lot of time being its midnight but the site looks really cool, I'm proud to say I'm the newest member. lol ...

anyways thanx, and remember

.223 is just a pissed off .22
go BIG or go HOME

maximus83
12-17-08, 02:28
Your availability in 6.8 barrels will get a lot better in a month or 2. I would wait until a couple big companies come out with the correct chambers and twist rate.
I had 3 5.56 AR's before I got into 6.8.
The only reason I bought a 6.8 is to deer hunt with an AR. They are still between $.79-$1.49 a round, kind of expensive.
I just had money to blow, but it's an expensive road to do it right.

The above sounds like good advice. I plan to get 6.8 eventually too, I think it's a better long-term deal overall for the AR platform than 7.62. However, I'm in no big hurry, as for deer hunting tasks, a plain old .308 or .30-06 or .270 rifle will cut it just fine, will perform better, and you can often find cheaper ammo. As Dave L says, there's not a lot of great choices in 6.8 hardware right now, and for me, I'm going to wait not just a month or two, but maybe even another year or two. I want to give it time for the specs to stabilize concerning what is the ideal barrel twist and chamber for 6.8. The optimal specs have changed a few times the last couple years, and left some earlier buyers out in the cold. And as Dave says, the ammo is still very expensive, so there's not much incentive to get it versus other calibers right now. If you reload it, that might make it more attractive.

I keep hoping the 6.8 will be adopted by a large government agency or a lot of LE agencies. That would start to push up production of hardware and ammo, driving prices down.

deltaARman
12-17-08, 20:43
I keep hoping the 6.8 will be adopted by a large government agency or a lot of LE agencies. That would start to push up production of hardware and ammo, driving prices down.

Usually (and there is always a exception to the rule) When the government agency etc. adopt something, It gets harder to find and the price doubles. Look at the KAC AR 10's , or armor plates, and if you can remember back in the day when the government first adopted Acogs' (I think it was 95')they were hard to find and expensive. And as for Law Enforcement sometimes they get a wild hair and they won't allow us to have it. For example 2-3 years ago they quit selling the mace that the LE agencies use, to civilians.

just a thought;)

sewvacman
12-17-08, 21:28
6.5 grendel........check it out.

.308holes
12-17-08, 21:49
6.5 grendel........check it out.

+1

Alexander Arms

maximus83
12-18-08, 10:50
Usually (and there is always a exception to the rule) When the government agency etc. adopt something, It gets harder to find and the price doubles.

You mean, like with LE agencies adopting .40 S&W pistols and ammo, which are now as available as 9mm and .45 acp, even though they've only been around for a few years? :D

deltaARman
12-18-08, 22:33
You mean, like with LE agencies adopting .40 S&W pistols and ammo, which are now as available as 9mm and .45 acp, even though they've only been around for a few years? :D

First off your right, (I think thats why I said there is always the exception to the rule) I was just making the point that not everything gets cheaper when a Gov. agency or LE adopt something, sometimes its hard to find and rediculous in price b/c they have so many gov. contracts to fill that they don't need the sells to the civillian market.

maximus83
12-19-08, 21:03
First off your right, (I think thats why I said there is always the exception to the rule) I was just making the point that not everything gets cheaper when a Gov. agency or LE adopt something, sometimes its hard to find and rediculous in price b/c they have so many gov. contracts to fill that they don't need the sells to the civillian market.

I know, I agree with you, bro. I was just giving you a hard time, all in fun. ;)

ccoker
01-06-09, 08:49
if you really want the ultimate in performance (especially if you handload) get one of Constructors barrels/uppers

getting right at 2800fps out of an 18" med contour stainless barrel and 1/2" groups

the Sierra Pro Hunter 110g or the Barnes 110g TSX or tipped TSX will kill game EVERY bit as good as a 308 or a 270, I have all 3 and have killed deer and hogs with all 3 calibers

there's a guy on the 68 forum that popped an 80lb boar right in the shoulder, clean pass through and then punched through just behind the shoulder and dropped a 160lb sow, shot at 75 yards

Constructor (owner of ar15performance) has taken an Elk at pushing 400 yards with the 110g accubond

Like I said, I have a very nice bolt action 270 and 308 but when I go hog hunting I take the 6.8 loaded with Barnes and use it when stalking deer