PDA

View Full Version : AR Lowers

dobe
11-30-08, 16:18
I am thinking about buying 2-4 lowers for my own builds. With quality in mind, what lowers would you recommend and why? Also, when recommending, if you know the price per lower, I would appreciate that also.

C4IGrant
11-30-08, 16:34
I am thinking about buying 2-4 lowers for my own builds. With quality in mind, what lowers would you recommend and why? Also, when recommending, if you know the price per lower, I would appreciate that also.

Right now, you will be lucky to find ANY lowers available. Price would normally be around $120-$140, but be prepared now for prices in the $200 + range.

C4

Sabre675
12-01-08, 14:12
More like the $700+ range. Stripped POF Lowers, that I was buying for $200 a month ago are going for $700. LMT completes are going for even more. What a joke. I'll stick with my LMT back order. BTW if you like POF lowers from your favorite vendor is looking at an optimistic ship date of August 09'. No biggie. :rolleyes:

markm
12-01-08, 14:28
I wonder if people will get desparate enough to buy Olympic Arms lowers! :eek:

Dave L.
12-01-08, 14:35
I wonder if people will get desparate enough to buy Olympic Arms lowers! :eek:

Olympic lowers are like fat chicks....there is always someone:D

Haji
12-01-08, 14:35
of course. There are people in the market now that usually aren't, and some of them are going to get taken for a ride.

nickdrak
12-01-08, 14:48
Sully (Defensive Edge/SLR-15) may still have some lowers left. They are the best made forged lowers I have seen. The machining is second to none, and he sells them for $165.00 There is an article on his lowers in the Dec/08 issue of SWAT Magazine.

He is busy as hell, so be patient, they will get back to you.

ZOMBIE101
12-01-08, 15:05
I wonder if people will get desparate enough to buy Olympic Arms lowers! :eek:http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk261/morettaj/emoticons/16685.gif

Veracity
12-01-08, 15:43

Several other New Yorkers like me have purchased stripped lowers from LRB Arms here on Long Island.

Website still says $109.

Although I have three Colts, an LMT and a BM, I began my build project on an LRB lower. The lower is now complete and I'll move on to the upper soon.

It's not a Colt or an LMT, but the price is right for a nice build project. Lou's a good guy too.

Steve-HSA
12-01-08, 16:35
Several other New Yorkers like me have purchased stripped lowers from LRB Arms here on Long Island.

Website still says $109.

Although I have three Colts, an LMT and a BM, I began my build project on an LRB lower. The lower is now complete and I'll move on to the upper soon.

It's not a Colt or an LMT, but the price is right for a nice build project. Lou's a good guy too.

LRB told me last week they would not have lowers available until Feb 09.

dobe
12-01-08, 19:01
I just bought a Rock River stripped lower for $195. The seller also has DPMS stripped lowers. How does DPMS rate?

YVK
12-01-08, 20:47
Sully (Defensive Edge/SLR-15) may still have some lowers left. They are the best made forged lowers I have seen. The machining is second to none, and he sells them for $165.00 There is an article on his lowers in the Dec/08 issue of SWAT Magazine.

He is busy as hell, so be patient, they will get back to you.

I concur. I just got one of those. Took about 10 days. He kept his price the same before and after 11/04. It is still in plastic, but, on cursory inspection, it is at least as good as my Mega or POF.

Veracity
12-01-08, 22:16
LRB told me last week they would not have lowers available until Feb 09.

Hey, I guess it is crazy out there!

I bought mine last spring, I think.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-01-08, 23:39

i don't see how they are "the best", because that's pretty subjective. maybe the prettiest? (but i dunno, lots of competition from the Mega Gator, its very pretty too)

"best" for me is: in spec, cheap as possible....as unobtrusive of a roll mark as possible is nice too :D brand matters not.

for someone shopping right now i think "the best" is whatever they can get their hands on, without getting fleeced. if that's a deffensive edge lower, that would be nice. you could do a lot worse. the roll mark looks ok.

Impact
12-01-08, 23:56
i don't see how they are "the best", because that's pretty subjective. maybe the prettiest? (but i dunno, lots of competition from the Mega Gator, its very pretty too)

"best" for me is: in spec, cheap as possible....as unobtrusive of a roll mark as possible is nice too :D brand matters not.

for someone shopping right now i think "the best" is whatever they can get their hands on, without getting fleeced. if that's a deffensive edge lower, that would be nice. you could do a lot worse. the roll mark looks ok.

I believe he is sold out as of tonight.

I have a RRA lower on order for delivery around xmas time. Pre-ordered it for $185. not too bad.

nickdrak
12-02-08, 08:55

I dont really care for pretty when it comes to guns;)

I recently built up two complete lowers for friends of mine using brand new RRA stripped lowers & RRA LPK's. One of the RRA lowers hammer pin hole was slightly out of spec and the hammer pin seemed to move all over the place when dry firing it. I installed some anti-walk pins on the out of spec lower. Both of the RRA lowers had some slightly rough machining inside of the trigger guard.

The SLR-15 lower I recently received from Sully has the cleanest machining I have ever seen on a stripped AR lower, and all of the holes are in spec. His mag wells are cut extra cleanly as well. Sully is a quality control freak on all of his guns, which for me is the biggest selling point for his lowers. You will not get the same QC from the larger manufacturers selling receivers currently. The fact that he has not raised his prices during this period is a bonus.

Get one of Sully's lowers, you will not regret it!