PDA

View Full Version : Romeo 4T vs Aimpoint PRO

Ron3
09-29-20, 01:59
I Prefer the Romeo 4T reticle choices. Looks like it's smaller, too.

Not sure the total weight w/mounts.

Weather proof important, I do have some astigmatism, brightness important because don't want it to wash-out in bright sunlight or indoors behind a light, either.

Mount needs to be good because this going on a .308 AR and a broken mount would suck.

How's the warranty on these?

Recommended mount height? I'm thinking co-witness level to 1/3.

Opinions?

09-29-20, 04:05
Aimpoint. My 4t failed to “wake” twice.

omegajb
09-29-20, 05:07
Sig is making interesting optics but the Aimpoint PRO is proven and bombproof.

I have astigmatism and the red dot doesn't bother me, these aren't for precision shooting so the small amount of flaring doesn't bother me.
The mount on the PRO is OK for being included and you shouldn't have any issues on a 308.

Aimpoint is much easier to deal with than Sig when it comes to warranty. Sig seems to be inconsistent depending on the CS rep and sometimes it's taken me a couple of times to get the right answer.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

mig1nc
09-29-20, 07:39
Everybody seems to experience astygmatism differently.

My Romeo 4s (I have two of them) look better than any other LED based non etched sight I've used.

Much better than my Aimpoint PRO which I sold.

And they are noticably lighter, something like around 2/3 the weight IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09-29-20, 07:42
Everybody seems to experience astygmatism differently.

My Romeo 4s (I have two of them) look better than any other LED based non etched sight I've used.

Much better than my Aimpoint PRO which I sold.

And they are noticably lighter, something like around 2/3 the weight IIRC.

Yeah, the dot looks awesome and it is lightweight. I wanted to like it.

Ron3
09-29-20, 09:04
I haven't looked through a Romeo 4 but the Aimpoint dot looks like a bunch of grapes.

I thing the Romeo is 6-8 oz and the Aimpoint 11 oz but I don't know if that's alone, with a mount, or which mount.

Disciple
09-29-20, 11:26
Aimpoint. My 4t failed to “wake” twice.

Did it turn on with a button press?

Dr. Bullseye
09-29-20, 12:39
My Romero 3 fell asleep and stayed asleep. The set screw holding the elevation and windage settings fell out. I was such junk I could not even sell it in good conscience and gave it away to someone to experiment on. If you are even using the words "Romero" near the word "Aimpoint", it does not speak well for Aimpoint, even Aimpoint Pro.

Ron3
09-29-20, 12:49
I thought the Romeo 4T is supposed to be more durable than the various 4, 5, and 6 models and suitable for "duty" use.

mig1nc
09-29-20, 13:25
My Romero 3 fell asleep and stayed asleep. The set screw holding the elevation and windage settings fell out. I was such junk I could not even sell it in good conscience and gave it away to someone to experiment on. If you are even using the words "Romero" near the word "Aimpoint", it does not speak well for Aimpoint, even Aimpoint Pro.

Interesting. The Romeo3 is made in Japan. Completely different from the 4.

MikhailBarracuda91
09-29-20, 15:36
My 4T has been great. The only complaints on my end are cheap screws in the mount, and the see through flip caps are somewhat chinsy feeling. The "wake" feature I cannot notice because it's on with the slightest movement (even vibrations from loud music turns it on. I was bored one day...)

With that said I changed the mount to a Larue, and the flip caps are still fine to this day.

I've had it for almost 2 years now, 1 of them the rifle lived inside of my pickup truck throughout all 4 seasons in Pennsylvania. I changed the battery recently, but the original was still working.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maxpetros
09-29-20, 15:59
I have limited experience with the 4t compared to the aimpoint (4t on a buddies rifle, vs aimpoint on an issued rifle for a considerable time). I can't speak to the durability of the 4t personally though it seems to get pretty high marks, and from a construction standpoint looks to be a quality product. Obviously, aimpoint speaks for themselves, I've seen then withstand significant abuse.

Aimpoint is definitely heavier and bulkier. 4t claims much better battery life, but I'd be inclined to think that number is inflated due to solar and their motion activation (which sounds like it's pretty much always on).

Where I'd easily give the 4t the edge is in clarity for an astigmatism. I don't have a particularly bad astigmatism, but certainly noticeable. Aimpoint and my eyes don't get along. The 4t (sample of one) I've used was much more crisp, even under a magnifier.

I've been mulling one over but I'm not 100% sold since they don't have a track record of duty use yet.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

09-29-20, 16:53
Did it turn on with a button press?

Yeah. Both times it was in the rain. I tried pressing the plus button, thinking I had dimmed it. Nothing. So I chucked it in the case and shot with irons. Then later, I was able to turn it on, as if it had been turned off. Hasn’t done it since, and its on a training beater. The goto gun got a T2.

mig1nc
09-29-20, 17:02
The Romeo 6 or 7 series would be a better comparison to the PRO or ACO.

The 4 is a micro footprint.

MikhailBarracuda91
09-29-20, 17:02
This makes me wonder about mine. I've never left it in the rain. Good information

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Ron3
09-30-20, 06:46
The Romeo 6 or 7 series would be a better comparison to the PRO or ACO.

The 4 is a micro footprint.

I suppose I'm really comparing my fondness for the circle-dot reticle and lighter weight vs the ruggedness of the Aimpoint.

I dont currently have any Sig products but the 4T does have a lifetime warranty if I understand correctly.

I dont have plans for back-up sights on this rifle so its important to buy a quality optic.

kyjd75
10-01-20, 13:01
I have a couple of 4T's. I also have several MRO's, but no Aimpoints. Compared to the MRO's, the 4T reticle is definitely sharper and extremely bright and clear. I also like that you can select the type of reticle that you wish to use. Build quality seems excellent, and comparable to the MRO. Time will ultimately determine if this is true or not. But the 4T really does appear to be built like a tank. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

TomPenguin5145
10-01-20, 15:06
I ran my 4A for a few years on a duty rifle until the dept decided to no longer approve it. Never failed to wake and battery life was equal to my Aimpoint H2 that I have on there now. Never lost zero. Rode in the weapon mount of the car each work week for 40-50 hours. I did replace the mount it came with though. I didn't trust the mount, seemed flimsy. I put it on an SLR Rifle Works mount. It now sits on my wife's H.D. rifle.

kyjd75
10-01-20, 16:17
Concerning mounts and the Romeo 4T. I use Geissele mounts for all of my MRO's. Everyone knows the quality of those mounts. The 4T's that I bought came with mounts that appear to be carbon copies of the Geissele mount. I have no idea if Sig licensed the mount from Geissele but boy it sure does look like one.

Ron3
10-02-20, 13:16
Ordered a Romeo 4T...was tough to find.

Thanks!

kyjd75
10-06-20, 16:39
An interesting observation occurred today for me. I took a lady friend that we know (and with my wife's permission) shooting. She is a very outdoor type person, physically fit, her husband is a retired F-15 pilot. He wasn't able to come, so it was just her and me. She wanted to shoot AR15 rifles, so I started her out with a Centurion Arms 11.5 with an MRO. At times she had a little trouble finding the dot and aligning her shot. Then we switched to a Sig 516 10.5 running a 4T. I had the reticle set for the "circle of death" and she immediately loved it. No problems finding it and she shot the 516 better as a result. Interesting that an untrained shooter preferred the narrower FOV of the 4T because of the very sharp "circle of death" over the wider FOV of the MRO with its singular dot.

mig1nc
10-07-20, 07:03
That's a great observation. Interestingly, the new MRO can also switch to the circle of death.

RKB Armory
10-07-20, 08:47
I don't think that anyone can beat Aimpoint when it comes to being bomb-proof and dependable. At least for now.

That said, Sig sure does pack a lot of features into their products. As a side-note that doesn't matter to performance, the boxes and packaging that Sig uses are works of art.

call_me_ski
10-09-20, 02:32
For what it is worth the 4t seems to be getting more wide spread among serious users. Obi Won Nairobi was using one and it has recently been seen on multiple Tanodized HK 416 rifles atop a Wilcox riser carried by a US SMU. The SAS and JSOC are about the best street creed you can get...

10-09-20, 06:49
For what it is worth the 4t seems to be getting more wide spread among serious users. Obi Won Nairobi was using one and it has recently been seen on multiple Tanodized HK 416 rifles atop a Wilcox riser carried by a US SMU. The SAS and JSOC are about the best street creed you can get...

I’d be pretty interested in seeing these “JSOC” users.

call_me_ski
10-09-20, 10:27
I’d be pretty interested in seeing these “JSOC” users.

Here is one from General Miller’s security detail:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9YvNaqiwY2/?igshid=psftz3aa5sc