PDA

View Full Version : CDL, is it a pain to get?

Vic79
09-29-20, 12:20
Does anyone currently have their CDL? I have no dreams about being an over the road trucker but was thinking about starting the process to get mine, really just to have it incase of a career change someday. Is it worth getting now if I have no plans of driving a commercial vehicle? Is it as much of a pain in the ass as people say?

HeruMew
09-29-20, 12:36
Does anyone currently have their CDL? I have no dreams about being an over the road trucker but was thinking about starting the process to get mine, really just to have it incase of a career change someday. Is it worth getting now if I have no plans of driving a commercial vehicle? Is it as much of a pain in the ass as people say?

From my experience, it's worth nothing to have unless you need it, and generally when you do need it (short of OTR Trucking) your employer will pay for you to get it.

You're only going to find it hard if:

You can't pass a drug test.
You can't bend over and touch your toes.
You can't hear well out of an ear, or both.
You can't lift 20-50 pounds.
You can't complete menial tasks that do little to nothing for commercial driving.
Oh, and can't pass a blood sugar test.

Otherwise, it's just an hour or two out of your life to appease a government middle man that has little interest in seeing results and more interest in collecting testing fees and victimless "criminal" fines.

Gabriel556
09-29-20, 12:58
I have a Class A that I got since I work for a truck manufacturer. I used to work in tech support and would get tired of waiting for a CDL driver at a dealer to road test. It was not hard but you do need to practice the basic maneuvers (including backing up and parking) and you have to understand truck and trailer operation. Then you have to pass a DOT physical as well (you can Google those requirements). I didn’t find any of it particularly challenging but I do feel it makes you a better driver (you learn about physics and that big vehicles handle differently). You also learn how inconsiderate many smaller vehicle drivers are.

Travelingchild
09-29-20, 13:22
Unaware of your location, but some resort towns will help you get a CDL, and not charge you if you commit to and last a Season.
Short supply in locations.
Younger days as a ski bum in Mammoth lakes they need bus drivers ( Class B, Airbrakes & passenger endorsement . Got Mine lasted the season,
Didn't pay for training, used that to land a job in JH Wy River Rat. Went to work for a helicopter co. added hazmat and tanker. Last truck I drove was a peter built 6x6.
Kept the CDL just in case, more office than blue collar at my age 58.
Be aware in some states if you take your test on an automatic that all you can drive, If you take on a manual you're good for either.

kirkland
09-29-20, 13:25
I got mine back when there was no class time required. The only hard part was the pre trip inspection test, there's so many things to remember. Definitely got to study for that one. The road test, written test, and air brake test were all a breeze, similar to the tests when you first get your license. There are certain things you need to be more aware of when driving a truck, you want to pay attention to signs, be aware of and prepare for upcoming steep grades, you need to drive defensively and be prepared to get cut off on the regular.

Nowdays there's weeks of classtime training required, more for a class A, less for a class B. Actually I'm not sure if that's a state requirement or federal requirement. You might want to look into that.

Also be aware that you will be required to take random drug tests. You will also need to pass a physical every two years. If you have a condition like high blood pressure you will be required to take a physical more often than that.

prepare
09-29-20, 15:04
I’ve had mine since 1991. No idea how the process is now. Back then you just read the state CDL book, took the written test, then had to perform a pre trip inspection and road test.
The only thing I have to do now is take the HAZMAT test and get fingerprinted every 5 years to keep that endorsement.
Oh and pass a DOT physical exam every 2 years. Some people have get a DOT physical every 6 months or annually if they have certain health conditions.

Slater
09-29-20, 15:55
Coming from an Arizona perspective (not sure how the various states differ), high blood pressure and diabetes (controlled) are two conditions under which you have to do an annual physical. I'm sure there are others. If you are insulin-dependent, that's an automatic disqualification from obtaining a CDL.

If you take the road test in a truck with a manual transmission, excessive grinding of gears (probably up to the evaluator's opinion) is a fail, but if you pass you're good for both manual and automatic transmissions. If you take the test with an automatic transmission, you're restricted to that type. I think this only came about in the last few years.

JediGuy
09-29-20, 16:59
I have kept my CDL Class B active and physicals up to date, but haven’t driven for years.

I would say that unless you are going to use it, it is a waste of time to go out and get a Class A. Why? The best companies will look for a year of experience to consider you anyway. And, you truly do have to practice to be able to pass a driving test.

If it interests you, though, plenty of places are hiring, and it doesn’t have to take much to make back the cost of a good local CDL driving school. Our guys almost can’t make less than $75,000.

Pilgrim
09-29-20, 19:50
I’ve had a CDL since 88, the testing procedure is much more difficult now. Better study the book pretty closely.

My blood pressure went over 140/90 at my last DOT card physical, it is quite an ordeal now trying to pass good enough to get a one year card. I am only a local driver and never leave the state, but my employer still wants me to have the card. Doing everything in my power to overcome ‘white coat syndrome’ and lower my pressure at the time of testing.

Gabriel556
09-29-20, 19:56
I will also say I’ve had my A for 4 years now. I don’t use it but it is damn nice to be able to rent a big truck if I need to, or give a ride in one of our mfr plated trucks at work if someone needs it. But the largest benefit for me, the license facility is on my way home from work. I don’t have to drive 15 miles out of the way and fight ridiculous lines to get a renewal. For that, I’ll keep mine as long as I work where I do. Also, we have an on-site doctor to administer the CDL physicals. So it’s super easy for me. And my 7 year old son thinks is SO COOL that I can drive a big truck and fly a plane. Yep..... that’s the best part.

utahjeepr
09-29-20, 20:56
Class A for many years. If you don't need it, a CDL ain't worth the time. Do you know how to drive a truck, I mean REALLY know how? Do you have access to a truck to practice and test in? Any medical issues? Just having a CDL in your pocket changes the way the law applies to you in many states. I keep mine active but use it rarely. I would give it up if I didn't need it from time to time.

Is it hard to get? No. Hell I managed to do it.

Straight Shooter
09-30-20, 07:24
I came off the road after 13 years and ALMOST 1.5 million miles under my belt traveling all over America & parts of Canada.
Of all the many, many diverse jobs I ever had in my 55 years of life- OTR trucking was without a doubt the worst crap I ever did.
The first time my license was up for renewal, they asked if i wanted to keep my CDL, & I was grandfathered in before 9/11 I had certain perks others didnt...I said SHOOT NO, just give me a regular license. Wanted to make sure i was never even tempted to go into that mess again.
Can only imagine what a goatscrew OTR trucking is now, with electronic logs,hours of service fiasco, the infinite proliferation of cell phones, tickets & fines so high for a trucker you'd have to borrow money to pay them...just on & on & on & on I could go.
My advice: DO SOMETHING ELSE.

Straight Shooter
09-30-20, 07:25
double post

Arik
09-30-20, 08:54
I came off the road after 13 years and ALMOST 1.5 million miles under my belt traveling all over America & parts of Canada.
Of all the many, many diverse jobs I ever had in my 55 years of life- OTR trucking was without a doubt the worst crap I ever did.
The first time my license was up for renewal, they asked if i wanted to keep my CDL, & I was grandfathered in before 9/11 I had certain perks others didnt...I said SHOOT NO, just give me a regular license. Wanted to make sure i was never even tempted to go into that mess again.
Can only imagine what a goatscrew OTR trucking is now, with electronic logs,hours of service fiasco, the infinite proliferation of cell phones, tickets & fines so high for a trucker you'd have to borrow money to pay them...just on & on & on & on I could go. WHY DO YOU THINK THE TURNOVER RATE IS SO DAMNED HIGH?
My advice: DO SOMETHING ELSE.The electric logs are a pain in the ass but not completely terrible. Some companies are better than others. Still have to keep a paper log on hand just in case. Since this started my drivers used them maybe a dozen times. That's 3 drivers in the course of about 3-4 years now.

I've read your posts about this before and while everyone has their own individual experiences ours has not been the same. That might depend on what you transported. Lowboy, refer,....etc...

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

JediGuy
09-30-20, 09:51
I feel obligated to add in that that LTL is the only way to go as a driver. Non-union is the only way to go in LTL.

AKDoug
09-30-20, 10:18
I started trucking in 1988. I've been driving ever since, but it has never been my full time, every day, job. It has been a necessity to the company that I own to be an A class driver. As the company grew my experience grew with it over the years.. from class B flatbeds and box vans, to towing pups with flatbeds, to semi trucks with flatbeds, lowboys, equipment trailers and skin vans. Through the years I've trained nearly a dozen drivers from the ground up and all passed their road test the first try.The most important part is getting the walk around down to a science. Getting your class A can be tough if you don't have a company or friend to train you. Your only option then is a trucking school. I don't find the medicals to be too hard and I don't find the written test to be too difficult.

We haul our own equipment for our equipment rental business, haul our own lumber for our lumber yard, and we run a skin van 3 to 4 days a week hauling beer for a local brewery and back haul their supplies and our business's freight.

Like said above, LTL is the way to go. I've been pretty successful sucking up the local freight that requires extra customer service. The brewery pays me above the going rate on full truck loads of beer because we show up when we say we will and treat them with superior customer service when there is an emergency. The driver I have in that truck makes a good living and gets to sleep in his own bed every night. It can be tough to find that niche and be able to make money and stay home at night, but it is out there.

I still love driving ...63895

AKDoug
09-30-20, 10:24
Just having a CDL in your pocket changes the way the law applies to you in many states.

I hear this often, but I can find no information that backs it up. Mostly it comes from people that think your DUI level is lowered to a level lower than a regular vehicle license; but that's only true if you are actually in a commercial vehicle.

JediGuy
09-30-20, 10:29
Like said above, LTL is the way to go. I've been pretty successful sucking up the local freight that requires extra customer service.
It can be tough to find that niche and be able to make money and stay home at night, but it is out there.

I still love driving ...63895

If I had an ounce of sense, I would emulate what you have apparently done. Too comfortable where I am in the ladder at the moment.

lysander
09-30-20, 12:36
You're only going to find it hard if:

You can't pass a drug test.
You can't bend over and touch your toes.
You can't hear well out of an ear, or both.
You can't lift 20-50 pounds.
You can't complete menial tasks that do little to nothing for commercial driving.
You forgot one:

Can't drive . . .

SilverBullet432
09-30-20, 21:58
I’ve had my class A with Tanker & double/triple for 6 years now, I haven’t driven a truck in 3, but I’m definitely hanging onto it! I went through the program at my community college. Cost me $4k but it was worth it. They supplied everything. Maintaining it is easy, just pass the physical every two years and submit the paperwork to the state. The only gripe I have is I have to renew it or even change the address in person. (Texas) If you lose CDL status, you’ll have to re apply and re do everything like if you never did it in the first place. Unless you really plan to take up trucking, I would say it’s not worth having. If you have one, and leave trucking for something else, I would say it’s definitely worth keeping as a plan B!!!

Gabriel556
10-01-20, 09:37
“Hey Mav, you still have the number for that truck driving school?”
It is good for a plan B BUT....
I tend to agree agree with everyone else. Don’t get it just because....but if you will drive a truck, get it. Do your practice and test in a manual transmission truck even though the industry is moving away from them, as that limits what you can drive. To drive a tractor, you need a class A regardless if you pull a trailer or not. I do have an app on my phone where I could do electronic logging if I were to drive but most of my trips are in the area and never hauling freight and if I drive, I send my logs to work with the push of a button and they are sent off wherever for records.

I’m keeping mine out of convenience. My physicals are done at work, and cost me nothing aside from an hour or so out of my day. But I wouldn’t get one just because. Same as I wouldn’t go get an M class. I’m not planning on riding a bike, so it’s no real point for me.

lysander
10-01-20, 10:51
To drive a tractor, you need a class A regardless if you pull a trailer or not. . .
I've driven a tractor without a Class A, and even pulled a trailer with it.

There are loop-holes for the military.

(And no, I was not a 88M.)

Gabriel556
10-01-20, 11:38
Ok. I have no input on loopholes for .mil folks. I guess there are loopholes for firefighters too now that I think about it but as an average Jim off the street (since Joe is now creepy) the basic regulations apply.

Averageman
10-01-20, 16:39
I'm in Texas.
I got pulled over doing 80 in a 65 on my motorcycle. The only reason the Cop (praise be unto him) let me go was that, that was enough to get my CDL pulled.
You know it really isn't worth it unless that is your full time job.

Travelingchild
10-01-20, 20:25
I've driven a tractor without a Class A, and even pulled a trailer with it.

This is where things get confusing to some folks
such as in Wyoming

Class "B" with the appropriate endorsements such as tanker, air, hazmat

Allow you to drive a Truck/Tractor in excess of 26,001LB and tow a trailer with a rating of 10,000 or less

So if tow vehicle is a Semi truck "tractor" but the trailer is 10,000 or less the driver only needs a class "B" with the correct endorsements

Class "A" is primary concerned with TRAILER weight. Which is over 10,001 lbs

Gabriel556
10-01-20, 22:12
See that’s funny(odd). I had a coworker that got stopped for a random inspection in a company owned tractor bobtail, possessing a B license. He was ticketed and even my company legal team had to consult outside council to see if it was valid. And the company did fight it in court. Of course, this was Illinois where we are a little “off”.

Travelingchild
10-01-20, 22:23
It's similar to discussions that members here have about NFA SBRs if it not configured to fall in the parameters of said rules , then those rules don't apply.

If the Truck/tractor trailer combo doesn't fall into Class "A" territory , then you don't need an "A".

If you want to get really absurd If you have an ultralight "Tractor" AKA a truck that weighs less than 26001lbs (highly unlikely)you don't even need a "B" to just drive around in it for private use.

AKDoug
10-01-20, 23:39
Alaska has a non-airbrake class A to satisfy all the contractors and hot-shots running around with one tons and <10,000# GVW trailers. My daughter turns 21 at the end of the month and she's practicing right now with my truck to get hers. We deliver small heavy equipment and lumber on our diesel 3500 Ram with a 25' goose neck. She couldn't be insured with out company until 21, so she's just drives it around the yard and backing it up right now. It'll be a great learning step to moving up to the real trucks next year.

I

P2Vaircrewman
10-02-20, 15:15
Oops Wrong thread. My M-151 is Marine Corps forest green.

Sid Post
10-02-20, 21:07
I hear this often, but I can find no information that backs it up. Mostly it comes from people that think your DUI level is lowered to a level lower than a regular vehicle license; but that's only true if you are actually in a commercial vehicle.

Just because you can't find it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. When I lived in Arizona, video tickets with no points for Class C (cars) drivers had mandatory points against your license and reports to NHTSA with a Class A CDL.

davidjinks
10-03-20, 07:31
I have a Class B. It’s not worth it to get it “just in case”.

If you have a job NOW that requires it and you can’t work without, get it. Other than that, don’t get it.

davidjinks
10-03-20, 07:31
Weird double tap

utahjeepr
10-03-20, 11:39
I would love to see a blooper reel of CDL testing. "Serpentine backing gone wild!"

Driving trucks is a skill. Like many such skills, it isn't really all that hard but you have to put the time in to learn. If you don't have the resources to learn properly it is gonna be hard to do on your own. If you do have access to a truck, a person to show you the ropes, and the ability to practice it is gonna be pretty simple.

I still don't see the (relatively minor) hassles worth the trouble if you don't at least occasionally need it.

Of course if more people learned to drive trucks maybe they wouldn't do so many stupid things on the road.

Gabriel556
10-03-20, 12:52
Of course if more people learned to drive trucks maybe they wouldn't do so many stupid things on the road.

That’s the BIG thing! That would show many people how dangerous they actually are driving around trucks. Then again, maybe not.......

lysander
10-05-20, 08:45
People do stupid things on the road because the people are stupid, making them get a license won't necessarily cure them of their stupidity. (Otherwise, the Class C license would cure them.)

They would just be able to do stupid things in a bigger vehicle.

Sid Post
10-06-20, 17:18

That’s the BIG thing! That would show many people how dangerous they actually are driving around trucks. Then again, maybe not.......

People do stupid things on the road because the people are stupid, making them get a license won't necessarily cure them of their stupidity. (Otherwise, the Class C license would cure them.)

They would just be able to do stupid things in a bigger vehicle.

The real problem is that driving is considered a RIGHT and not a PRIVILEGE. Then add a total lack of driver's education in the majority of the USA and is it any wonder we have such problems? Now add general societal issues of people feeling privileged and entitled, add people in a hurry and totally distracted, and, is it any wonder we don't have more carnage and mayhem on the public roads?