PDA

View Full Version : .22 Revolver

echofiveniner
09-30-20, 11:18
Thinking about getting a cheap .22 pistol/revolver anyone have any ideas on them? What do you use and recommend? I have a Ruger 22/45 and kinda want a revolver to teach my kids to shoot it.

lonestardiver
09-30-20, 11:19
single action or double action?

echofiveniner
09-30-20, 11:23
single action or double action?

Either. You know anything about this one: https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/ruger-wrangler/ ? Seems like a good price on one.

lonestardiver
09-30-20, 11:42
I don’t have any personal experience with that model.

I know that Ruger has made rimfire single actions for awhile now. I believe the wrangler is the cheaper of the ones they have made. Now with that said, not having handled one or shot one I can’t give any real data on them. I know on rimfire central that have a number of sub forums that would have more real world data.

My only real experience with rimfire revolvers centers around a Dan Wesson double action revolver. But they are not inexpensive and not generally found. S&W as well as Ruger made a few good double action rimfire revolvers as well.

halfmoonclip
09-30-20, 12:37
Smith's 43 is a superb revo, but may not be in production...saw a used one with an $800 price.
They make an alloy version currently.
The older Ruger single actions always had a great rep, and the Bearcats were neat and tiny.
Their current, inexpensive one should be fine.
Moon

Evel Baldgui
09-30-20, 18:02
S&W still makes the 43, cool very light 8 shot .22lr revolver; throw it in pocket for snakes when hiking.

hotrodder636
09-30-20, 19:51
I know it is far from fancy, but I have a Heritage Rough Rider in single action. Hugely fun and working well after 500 rounds still...

halfmoonclip
09-30-20, 19:52
Okay, the 63 is the stainless .22. The lightweight one is the Model 317, and it is a delight to carry. I'm getting the Glock and the Smith model numbers mixed.
They are worth a consideration; great guns, but not inexpensive.
The new, partially alloy Ruger is likely the bargain.
Moon

titsonritz
09-30-20, 20:19
I like my S&W 18-3.

Pachucko
09-30-20, 21:51
Either. You know anything about this one: https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/ruger-wrangler/ ? Seems like a good price on one.

I ordered one last week. It was highly praised from what I could find, and people who had the Ruger and the Heritage mostly preferred the Ruger. Granted, no one had anything bad to say about Heritage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nate89
10-01-20, 19:57
I bought a 3" Ruger LCRx in 22 for practice and as just a fun gun. It has been perfect for doing training, and I really enjoy shooting it. Last Saturday I did dot torture and a few other drills with it. SpeedBeez makes a speedloader for it and it has worked very well for me.

Devildawg2531
10-01-20, 20:35
Thinking about getting a cheap .22 pistol/revolver anyone have any ideas on them? What do you use and recommend? I have a Ruger 22/45 and kinda want a revolver to teach my kids to shoot it.

I have a Smith and Wesson 617 22lr revolver that is great.. not sure if it hits your price point. But its a 10 shot revolver and has been totally reliable, accurate and fun to shoot for me and my kids.. I've owned this 1 for over 20 years.

gunnerblue
10-01-20, 21:08
A good used Ruger Single Six is/was my pick for introducing new shooters

CAVDOC
10-01-20, 23:06
Quality .22 revolvers are not cheap. Good used smith and Wesson’s start at 500. New around 700.

tucsondirt
10-01-20, 23:54
I have a Ruger SP101 22lr with 4” barrel.
Been a lot of fun and really solid gun, trigger pull is a little stout in DA but a spring change lightened it up a little. Not one of the cheaper options but it will last forever!

Pappabear
10-02-20, 01:17
I like my S&W 18-3.

These are the gold standard, but you can grab a ruger for cheaper and still works. I have Colt SAA, and Stoeger's SAA so there are many nice guns to shoot.

Choose one ask about that specific gun and we can help you.

PB

Wildcat
10-02-20, 10:00
What kind of targets do you typically shoot? What size? What distance?

The sights on the Wrangler are not adjustable. Ruger usually does a good job of getting the sights regulated on guns like the Bearcat and Vaquero, but different brands of 22LRs tend to group differently so I would recommend trying to find a gun with adjustable sights if possible.

I have a Single-Six that has adjustable sights. Not much adjustment was needed but it is dialed in now and will perforate empty shotshells at 30 feet with regularity.

My dad and my uncle have different versions of a High Standard revolver. The sights on these guns are (essentially) fixed. My dad's gun shoots close to point of aim but my uncle's gun shoots considerably above point of aim which would complicate teaching new/inexperienced shooters without getting them overly frustrated.

MontanaMarine
10-02-20, 13:24
If a single action is under consideration, the Ruger Single Six is a real nice one.

Mine is a 6.5" 22/22WMR convertible. It's slow to load, but i still enjoy it a lot.

https://i.imgur.com/ZYzFftD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MXOudrL.jpg

Alongside my other 22 handgun, an older model Ruger 22/45. They are both great shooters.
https://i.imgur.com/Cz1Ywer.jpg

ThirdWatcher
10-03-20, 01:23
I have a Ruger SP101 22lr with 4” barrel.
Been a lot of fun and really solid gun, trigger pull is a little stout in DA but a spring change lightened it up a little. Not one of the cheaper options but it will last forever!

+1. I’ve got one of those (in addition to a few other S&W and Ruger .22’s) and it is one nice revolver. Stainless Steel, Fiber Optic front sight, and an 8 shot cylinder, what’s not to like?

mike94yj
10-03-20, 13:39
The heritage SA makes a great pistol to teach kids with, they are inexpensive, run forever, AND actually available at this time. The Taurus 942 is interesting, if they ever become available.....for $300.

AndyLate
10-05-20, 21:13
I have a 5.5" Single Six and a 3" Bearcat, and my wife has a 4" Bearcat. The Single Six (and by extension, the Wrangler) is much easier to shoot than the tiny Bearcat.

militarymoron
10-05-20, 21:32
Here's my son's Colt Frontier Scout - he loves it:

https://i.imgur.com/rNUEtEP.jpg

halfmoonclip
10-05-20, 22:19
Okay, looked at Ruger's catalog to see what was still in production. The Single Six and its kin are still there, with adjustable sights and higher capacity cylinders, for $600+, and even the Bearcat (a real sweetheart of a relatively tiny single action) is virtually that expensive.
The Wrangler is the value leader; it has an alloy frame and zinc grip; of course the cylinder and the barrel are steel. It is in the $200 range, and it is a Ruger. It's apt to be the best value for the money.
Moon

halfmoonclip
10-05-20, 22:24
I have a 5.5" Single Six and a 3" Bearcat, and my wife has a 4" Bearcat. The Single Six (and by extension, the Wrangler) is much easier to shoot than the tiny Bearcat.

Andy', I've a early 70s Super Bearcat; it is a tiny little bugger, but mine has the plow handle grip of its larger kin, so it is fun to shoot...tho' I've smallish hands.
Been tempted to get the 3" Bearcat with the birds head grip, just because they are really tiny and pretty. Thus far, have held off that urge... ;)
Yeah, if you want to do this economically, the Wrangler is the way to go.
Moon

halfmoonclip
10-05-20, 22:26

A Frontier Scout was my very first handgun; I bought the alloy frame because I didn't like the look of the casehardened one... :(
Traded it a little later on a Super Bearcat.
Doubt very much if the OP can find a bargain on a New Frontier... ;)
Moon

AndyLate
10-05-20, 22:38
A Frontier Scout was my very first handgun; I bought the alloy frame because I didn't like the look of the casehardened one... :(
Traded it a little later on a Super Bearcat.
Doubt very much if the OP can find a bargain on a New Frontier... ;)
Moon

Man, it's gorgeous though!

Andy

AndyLate
10-05-20, 22:47
Andy', I've a early 70s Super Bearcat; it is a tiny little bugger, but mine has the plow handle grip of its larger kin, so it is fun to shoot...tho' I've smallish hands.
Been tempted to get the 3" Bearcat with the birds head grip, just because they are really tiny and pretty. Thus far, have held off that urge... ;)
Yeah, if you want to do this economically, the Wrangler is the way to go.
Moon

Mine predates the factory 3" birdahead Shopkeepers, it's a 4" New Bearcat cut down by a well known smith (I am drawing a blank on who and too lazy to find the box and check the receipt). I bought it used a couple years ago for just a tad less than a used stainless New Bearcat would cost.

Andy

CAVDOC
10-11-20, 20:44
I was at a shooting match and they had a side match with the wranglers. I have been shooting single actions for decades and was pretty into cowboy action shooting for a number of years so generally shoot a single action well. Despite this I couldn’t hit for squat with the wrangler. I can’t say 100% for sure but it was hitting rather high compared to sights.
Considering the price I thought about picking one up, but not after that experience

halfmoonclip
10-12-20, 11:05
IMHO, a lot of the charm of a single action is wedded to the satisfying boom of a .45 Colt.
Love my ancient Bearcat, but it doesn't see much shooting, due to its subcaliber.
Can't even get excited about a SAA in .357 for the same reason.
That's just me.
Moon
ETA-was popping away with the .45 Schofield last night, and that is fun too.
M

RUTGERS95
11-18-20, 19:22
I have a Smith and Wesson 617 22lr revolver that is great.. not sure if it hits your price point. But its a 10 shot revolver and has been totally reliable, accurate and fun to shoot for me and my kids.. I've owned this 1 for over 20 years.

right here, end thread imho

if SA, go with the roughrider. My boys each have one and they've been fantastic as well as cheap to boot

RUTGERS95
11-18-20, 19:25

real nice

flenna
11-21-20, 08:43
right here, end thread imho

if SA, go with the roughrider. My boys each have one and they've been fantastic as well as cheap to boot

Ditto. We have one and it is a blast to shoot.

RUTGERS95
11-21-20, 20:17
Ditto. We have one and it is a blast to shoot.

they really are and very undervalued amongst the 22lr SA community, with the Ruger, on the scene imho.

Naxet1959
11-23-20, 10:39
I have a Wrangler and it's a cool little gun to shoot. Price is right and Scheels has a Black Friday deal on them for $169.00 which is a deal! These are well made and definitely better made than the Heritage guns.

RUTGERS95
11-23-20, 11:28
I have a Wrangler and it's a cool little gun to shoot. Price is right and Scheels has a Black Friday deal on them for $169.00 which is a deal! These are well made and definitely better made than the Heritage guns.

definitely? how so given only the barrel being pressed is different? curious how it's definitely better. I paid 98 for each of my sons' and they are regularly on sale for 100 and we've got easily over 3k through them with zero issues and the boys do not baby them.

there was a review on arfcom on these two and consensus was no difference really

Lefty223
11-23-20, 13:13
Only drawback to the 2 or dual cylinder 22LR/22WMR Ruger is that the bore is sized to the larger magnum round and accuracy w/ 22LRs can be ‘meh’ to poor ...

GoToAle
02-24-21, 18:25
Sure is a fine revolver. I have my fathers Model 18-2. It stays in time, is accurate and is a delight to shoot.

GoToAle
02-25-21, 17:20
Saw a guy at a gun show looking at a S&W Model 36. The dealer was explaining that models history as the Chiefs Special and that it was a 5 shot revolver.
The customer interrupted him by adding that it was a 6 shot because you could have 5 in the cylinder plus, get this, “one in the chamber “.
Several within earshot about fell over with laughter.