PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone ever come up with a 45 degree offset sight system that works well

Humpy70
10-01-20, 08:02
I keep seeing all the 45 degree offset bases for sale for Weaver bases but I have never seen any on a rifle being used for anything. I remember seeing a scope with irons on the top of the scope pictures but don't know anyone that uses them.

Just thinking on it but tilting sights would be a tad difficult to zero and you would be restricted to close in shots but I don't remember ever seeing a sight mounted at 45 degrees.

I could see a small scope mounted on 45 mounts with the cross hairs tilted at 45 to give vertical sight picture but the nature of scopes and weights and size seems to preclude such.

Thus it seems the only logical option is learn to look down the barrel with rifle canted and practice till you get good.

I had a good friend who was a sniper with Patton's Army at the Bulge and he told me several interesting tidbits.

1. He traded off his 03A4 for a M1 Garand.
2. He looked down the barrel and pointed it like a shotgun for close in shots.
3. He opened the rear aperture up so he could see front sight in the woods (low light).

I remember back during Nam the Army was teaching such and bought BB rifles with no sights and tossed up metal discs for troops to get used to looking down the barrel.

AndyLate
10-01-20, 08:23
There are plenty of competitors running 45 degree sights or miniature red dots such as the RMR in conjunction with a scope. I think they can be said to work well and apparently zero just fine. If you mean the magnified optic mounted at 45 degrees, I'm certain that has been done and I read it on this forum.

Andy

10-01-20, 08:35
Google “3 gun rifle stage“ and watch the videos.

Duffy
10-01-20, 09:58
Have several designed but never put into production. The manufacturing cost isn't justified considering you can get an RMR, ACRO or T1 with an offset mount mount that would do the job better. An RMR and T1, or ACRO will cost a lot more but then they're also more capable and easier to use than iron sights.

Wake27
10-01-20, 11:21
I keep seeing all the 45 degree offset bases for sale for Weaver bases but I have never seen any on a rifle being used for anything. I remember seeing a scope with irons on the top of the scope pictures but don't know anyone that uses them.

Just thinking on it but tilting sights would be a tad difficult to zero and you would be restricted to close in shots but I don't remember ever seeing a sight mounted at 45 degrees.

I could see a small scope mounted on 45 mounts with the cross hairs tilted at 45 to give vertical sight picture but the nature of scopes and weights and size seems to preclude such.

Thus it seems the only logical option is learn to look down the barrel with rifle canted and practice till you get good.

I had a good friend who was a sniper with Patton's Army at the Bulge and he told me several interesting tidbits.

1. He traded off his 03A4 for a M1 Garand.
2. He looked down the barrel and pointed it like a shotgun for close in shots.
3. He opened the rear aperture up so he could see front sight in the woods (low light).

I remember back during Nam the Army was teaching such and bought BB rifles with no sights and tossed up metal discs for troops to get used to looking down the barrel.

Well it’s 2020 instead of 1944. The options for offset RDS are numerous and while several offset irons exist, if you’re going to offset something, an RDS is going to be much moar better.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201001/9fdea79e42a18c56095cad34bac6a757.jpg

Now you’ve seent it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sinister
10-01-20, 11:58
Today's options are much, much better than with an M21, having to strip off the optic to use irons to get back into a fight. They can be zeroed for both elevation and windage and some are-back-ups to an optical back-up.

You have three-gun game players, and you have guys who have been in combat whose optics have failed. Mine have failed in combat twice, two separate weapons separated by 18 years (an ART 1 telescope and an Eotech).

https://jerkingthetrigger.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Dueck-Defense-adapter-575x383.jpg

For left-handed:

https://1xajfw1icg7aoq9hbwm1lcrl-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RTS-Fiber-Optic-Set-Left.jpg

For non-snag / flip-up on-call:

https://www.blacklabeltactical.com/assets/image/catalog/k/knights-armament-company-30079-2858.jpg

Disciple
10-01-20, 15:47

https://www.blacklabeltactical.com/assets/image/catalog/k/knights-armament-company-30079-2858.jpg

Two sets of BUIS?

AndyLate
10-01-20, 21:18
Two sets of BUIS?

BUBUIS

JediGuy
10-01-20, 21:59
Two sets of BUIS?

For when failure is not an option.

JediGuy
10-01-20, 22:01
https://jerkingthetrigger.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Dueck-Defense-adapter-575x383.jpg

I had not see the Dueck sights set up like that. Really cool.

titsonritz
10-01-20, 23:32

Is that micro mount and sight a single unit or two separate mounts?

titsonritz
10-01-20, 23:54
Two sets of BUIS?

Offsets up and used with the main optic on higher magnification, if the scope takes a shit remove it, fold the offsets and pop up the KAC BUIS for use as your primary sight and roll on. At least that is what I was thinking when I did a similar setup with a Griffin Armament Fail Safe sight (https://www.griffinarmament.com/fail-safe-angle-sights/).

Humpy70
10-02-20, 05:34
I like the fold up with rear aperture. Got a http for them?

TBAR_94
10-02-20, 07:01
I like the fold up with rear aperture. Got a http for them?

The ones in the picture above look like Knights.

https://www.knightarmco.com/12642/shop/sighting/buis/offset/45-offset-folding-micro-sights

I don’t own a gun with a 45 offset sight (yet), but I have shot one and was surprised how well it worked.

sinister
10-02-20, 07:54
Is that micro mount and sight a single unit or two separate mounts?It's a bolt-on addition:

https://1xajfw1icg7aoq9hbwm1lcrl-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RDA_01.jpg

titsonritz
10-02-20, 15:48
It's a bolt-on addition:

https://1xajfw1icg7aoq9hbwm1lcrl-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RDA_01.jpg

Thanks. Two pins, three screws, looks solid. Sweet arrangement.

JoshNC
10-02-20, 20:52
Arisaka Defense offset optic mount is best in class in my opinion.

lordmorgul
10-03-20, 10:41
I recommend this. It’s similar to the expensive Dueck Defense set but at lower entry cost to run and see what works for you.

I shot several regional high power matches using only these to improve my iron sight game. They do work, and adjustable elevation is a plus. To properly verify zero you do need to ensure that you’re holding 45deg.

For the typical 3 gun use you’d just have them on the 0-200 yard flip aperture (big one) set at Z.

45 Degree Offset Back Up Iron Sights - Rapid Transition BUIS by AT3 Tactical https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00ETLPSK8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oQjEFbK4APAEE

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

TexasAggie2005
10-03-20, 13:45
I recommend this. It’s similar to the expensive Dueck Defense set but at lower entry cost to run and see what works for you.

I shot several regional high power matches using only these to improve my iron sight game. They do work, and adjustable elevation is a plus. To properly verify zero you do need to ensure that you’re holding 45deg.

For the typical 3 gun use you’d just have them on the 0-200 yard flip aperture (big one) set at Z.

45 Degree Offset Back Up Iron Sights - Rapid Transition BUIS by AT3 Tactical https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00ETLPSK8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oQjEFbK4APAEE

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Those are straight up chineseum ripoffs of Dueck Defense sights.

MQ105
10-04-20, 09:58
It's a bolt-on addition:

What is the height over bore for the optic with this mount? I have some Dueck Defense RTS, but they are low compared to a 1.70" or 1.93" optic. Is the optic co-witness height, or lower 1/3? I like the concept...

About 6 months ago, I switched from 45deg BUIS to offset RDS. I had the shakes every time I thought about not having irons... lol.

lordmorgul
10-04-20, 17:26
Those are straight up chineseum ripoffs of Dueck Defense sights.

Yep, ok. There are much cheaper copies of the idea out there too, and it’s not sold as a fake... with illegally duplicated markings (which did happen), this is an A2 sight drum and hood on an offset mount, and Dueck Defense is welcome to go defend their patent of that if they like with these guys; honestly I believe patenting that is absurd. AT3 Tactical is a US based LLC.

I won’t say they are anywhere near the quality of the Dueck RTS, I only said they are a viable get your feet wet part of someone is so inclined.

I’ve also tried the $29 even cheaper ones which are truly crap and heavier and fall apart. AT3 has a better built *copy*.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA

Dr. Bullseye
10-04-20, 22:49
For when failure is not an option.

I just run backup irons as my only sights but who knows when those will go down or the battery will die and I will need BUBUIS?

maximus83
10-05-20, 13:22
Offsets up and used with the main optic on higher magnification, if the scope takes a shit remove it, fold the offsets and pop up the KAC BUIS for use as your primary sight and roll on. At least that is what I was thinking when I did a similar setup with a Griffin Armament Fail Safe sight (https://www.griffinarmament.com/fail-safe-angle-sights/).

Can see that makes sense in some cases, such as a DMR optic that doesn't have 1X, to have two additional sights: one for CQ, one for backup.

Still thinking through what to do for a secondary sight on my new 6.5G rifle setup (has a NF NX8 2.5-20x50 mounted). Been researching for about 3 weeks and haven't decided yet. The role of that rifle is mainly hunting and intermediate or long-range target shooting; it wouldn't be my go-to rifle as a civvy for any defensive type use. For that reason I don't want to bother with the cost and hassle of offset RDS, even if that means sacrificing a little speed to get on target. The RDS definitely wins there. But the offset irons have a couple pros too: they're lighter weight, more snag-free and out-of-the-way if you use the folding type, no batteries to fail, and no issues with fogging or environmental conditions that would affect any optic that has a lens. So yeah, definitely want BUIS setup on this rifle. Weighing whether to do inline or offset. On my other 5.56 rifles, the typical setup is either fixed irons co-witnessed with a T1/T2, or folded inline BUIS with LPVO in a QD. On this rifle the use in a CQ role would be rare, but could happen even in hunting as the NF goes down to only 2.5x and has a finicky eyebox due to the large magnification range. For that reason alone--that I might need a 1x sight for hunting--I think I'll probably go with folding offset irons.

ETA ordered these: MI folding offsets (https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Combat-Rifle-Offset-Sight-Set-p/mi-crs-oss.htm). 100% ambi, total weight for set is 3.4 oz, they fold back to extremely low profile.

Here's the MI's on my 6.5G rifle, folded and then deployed. They are sturdy and the folding mechanism is strong, really well made. When you have them folded they are lo-pro and out of the way, should minimize snags. Look forward to trying them out:

https://yq5xiw.bn.files.1drv.com/y4m8aZaAbV0wYv9Bjl1TfwTgnx1tjuRHSNXhUXqehvkNngjsN6ZyenIECTAdjVZIav-IUeRHDHOba3f2fkJQu2pUX_cDPfMNH6wZag8LNDoUivJPQZE_cAkG94WnOukX8aKI_2A1bHVKRG4TnGmBk5N5bm5ck3Y0Ylx1rm-VMqMNWCVrQ9ZqAtOJ0cCewQMeyVCkWZEOo8zWhIzaW4FsFBulw?width=923&height=1024&cropmode=none

https://0kwdua.bn.files.1drv.com/y4mQbXjIp_oS498WRzzuu1O8mxvbm_pk73jjWfKH_Y7jURGio9qxe9gV7uPCOweU3TpuVGerfoUhJIwJjCsPmRrvTFowNWY34QdzcKq05SHVlx8DYIbS_pv-b72Jt9OJ3jXr1xtaFrSpn1IFiRWTYCygzlsi6ZlRl4hHr7tmX_2YZIbhqjoXLNS_fCnqga6DM6dGHSlWUN5PKthVu0r-wFv1A?width=953&height=1024&cropmode=none

JoshNC
10-10-20, 15:33
I just run backup irons as my only sights but who knows when those will go down or the battery will die and I will need BUBUIS?

Yes. Always run BUBUIS.

RHINOWSO
10-13-20, 12:26
I prefer KAC or Magpul offset BUIS.

Living in the south and coming out of an A/C house / Car can ruin your glass optics with fogging - condensation for several minutes. Wipe it off but it comes right back due to the temp differential of the optic v ambient temps. Yes you can wipe shit on your optic to negate that fogging too but no thanks for me.

Or take a spill into some water / mud.

It's all trade offs - I'm sure an offset RDS is 'faster' than irons but irons are cheaper, flip out of the way, and provide a level of redundancy (mech vs optic) that you don't get with a RDS offset.

10-13-20, 15:08

Living in the south and coming out of an A/C house / Car can ruin your glass optics with fogging - condensation for several minutes. Wipe it off but it comes right back due to the temp differential of the optic v ambient temps. Yes you can wipe shit on your optic to negate that fogging too but no thanks for me.

It's all trade offs - I'm sure an offset RDS is 'faster' than irons but irons are cheaper, flip out of the way, and provide a level of redundancy (mech vs optic) that you don't get with a RDS offset.

This shit is true, although my offsets are fixed. Also, a range I frequent has some sort of special clay mud that launches back directly at your optic. It’ll get all the way to the 20yd line.

maximus83
10-13-20, 16:13

Weird...feels like I just posted something like this somewhere. Ditto on BUIS pros/cons vs RDS. :neo:

titsonritz
10-13-20, 16:51

This shit is true, although my offsets are fixed. Also, a range I frequent has some sort of special clay mud that launches back directly at your optic. It’ll get all the way to the 20yd line.

Yep, had it happen to me in Oklahoma and why I have fixed offsets as well.

AndyLate
10-15-20, 08:01
Can see that makes sense in some cases, such as a DMR optic that doesn't have 1X, to have two additional sights: one for CQ, one for backup.

Still thinking through what to do for a secondary sight on my new 6.5G rifle setup (has a NF NX8 2.5-20x50 mounted). Been researching for about 3 weeks and haven't decided yet. The role of that rifle is mainly hunting and intermediate or long-range target shooting; it wouldn't be my go-to rifle as a civvy for any defensive type use. For that reason I don't want to bother with the cost and hassle of offset RDS, even if that means sacrificing a little speed to get on target. The RDS definitely wins there. But the offset irons have a couple pros too: they're lighter weight, more snag-free and out-of-the-way if you use the folding type, no batteries to fail, and no issues with fogging or environmental conditions that would affect any optic that has a lens. So yeah, definitely want BUIS setup on this rifle. Weighing whether to do inline or offset. On my other 5.56 rifles, the typical setup is either fixed irons co-witnessed with a T1/T2, or folded inline BUIS with LPVO in a QD. On this rifle the use in a CQ role would be rare, but could happen even in hunting as the NF goes down to only 2.5x and has a finicky eyebox due to the large magnification range. For that reason alone--that I might need a 1x sight for hunting--I think I'll probably go with folding offset irons.

ETA ordered these: MI folding offsets (https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Combat-Rifle-Offset-Sight-Set-p/mi-crs-oss.htm). 100% ambi, total weight for set is 3.4 oz, they fold back to extremely low profile.

Here's the MI's on my 6.5G rifle, folded and then deployed. They are sturdy and the folding mechanism is strong, really well made. When you have them folded they are lo-pro and out of the way, should minimize snags. Look forward to trying them.

I hate the people that quote an entire post, but your thinking mirrors my own, except my optic is 2.5-10X and I want the irons for the extremely remote chance of CQ role. The MI sights look good to me.

Stupid question - are you left handed?

Andy

maximus83
10-15-20, 14:50
I hate the people that quote an entire post, but your thinking mirrors my own, except my optic is 2.5-10X and I want the irons for the extremely remote chance of CQ role. The MI sights look good to me.

Stupid question - are you left handed?

Andy

Yep. It's a curse, and a blessing. :cool:

Artos
10-15-20, 15:07
What are your thoughts on the MI sights?? The kac's are currently unavailable & the MI's seemed to have mixed reviews.

maximus83
10-15-20, 17:43
What are your thoughts on the MI sights?? The kac's are currently unavailable & the MI's seemed to have mixed reviews.

Can't recommend yet because I haven't tried them. Hopefully will zero and test next range trip.

Yes I've seen the reviews good and mixed, but glad I tried a pair anyway, like what I've seen so far. Only things that would scare me off are either the design was bad (it's not, actually they seem really well thought out) or if they turn out to be not durable/reliable enough for a fighting rifle. Until now I've used all inline sights and some trial and error with brands. All I use now are folding Troys (2 uppers), and one set of folding MBUS Pro, and one LMT fixed rear with a front FSB. Similar to your comment about the MI offsets, I've seen mixed reviews on the MBUS Pro as well, but I ended up liking those and really glad I got them. It's another subject, but interesting in that the MBUS Pro are set up well (like some KAC sights) for longer range shooting with irons, a skill set that I want to improve, and those sights have a really well thought out feature set for that. The takeaway being, one guy's review of these sights tends to be these are excellent and will also let you use for longer range shooting, while another guys review might be these are too bulky and heavy, they're complex, they have features I don't need, I just want basic BUIS in case my optic fails.

With the MI, I like the sight picture, the rear aperture is about right for my 55y.o. eyes to be able to focus quickly on the front post. The folding mechanism is sturdy without being TOO hard to fold/deploy. I would say not QUITE as bomb-proof as my Troys, but the Troys are honestly the gold standard, and the MI still feel super solid, both in the strength of the pic rail clamp, and the folding mechanism. When they fold down, they are super low-pro and do not snag on stuff, something I was concerned about since I will hunt with this rifle. Another factor--which RH shooters are probably less concerned about, since they have other offset RH sight options--is that these sights are COMPLETELY ambi, you can flip them around and use them either side, no goofiness like having to run them backwards on the one side. Believe it or not, it was tricky to find offset sites that met all these criteria: FULLY ambi, made in America or by one of our non-Chinese allies, folding down to a low profile, and not taking up too much rail space and not doing things like interfering with my scope. I think I had narrowed it down to 3 options: the folding offset Troy's, these, and Dueck Defense had some dedicated LH ones (but they aren't ambi, are bulky, and seemed out of stock everywhere, esp the LH ones). These MI came closest to everything I was looking for and were available. In the end if these don't work, I'll fall back to try the Troy offsets.

Artos
10-15-20, 18:37
I'll look at the troy's...the reviews that got me were the weak mounting / screw?? You ok with that??

maximus83
10-15-20, 19:12
I'll look at the troy's...the reviews that got me were the weak mounting / screw?? You ok with that??

Seen that critique, but didn't agree with it. I think they're pretty solid--not Troys, but solid. If you want bomb-proof reliability that's proven, definitely I'd stick with the Troy offsets.

JediGuy
10-15-20, 19:32
Doesn’t the M110A1 use offset Troys?

maximus83
10-16-20, 03:53
Seen that critique, but didn't agree with it. I think they're pretty solid--not Troys, but solid. If you want bomb-proof reliability that's proven, definitely I'd stick with the Troy offsets.

@Artos, I did a little more comparison of my new MI's to my existing (inline) Troy BUIS tonight. From pics on the Troy site, I'm pretty sure the design of the offset folding sights is similar to the inline folding sights, except for the offset mount. So even though I haven't gotten them to the range yet, a couple more observations:

1. I'm gonna revise my own comment here after comparing them side-by-side to my inline Troys. I actually don't think these are any less robust than the Troys, if anything they might be a little more beefy. They have super solid detents for folding and don't need a locking mechanism. I prefer that actually, as I will normally want to deploy or fold mine fairly quickly and won't want to mess with an added locking mechanism. The bit about the mount screws shearing is true, but I only saw a handful of reports on that. MI actually says they had a bad batch of screws go out, they'll replace if anyone got those, and the issue has been fixed. The ones I have seem rock solid. I torqued mine down to just a hair below the recommended 35 inch-pds, to play it safe.

2. I like the approach to using a single intermediate aperture size on the rear, rather than dual aperture like my Troys use. On a sight whose main role is BUIS or very rare CQ shooting/hunting, I value simplicity over a dual-aperture setup. The intermediate size is perfect for me, it's quick for CQ acquisition, lets in enough light and gives good FOV, and flexible enough to use from CQ to several hundred meters if needed. Will let you know how these hold up in actual shooting, but looking through them and my inline Troys at home, I definitely prefer this aperture.

3. I like how little rail space they take up and as mentioned above, the rear doesn't interfere with my NF scope when deployed (power lever) or my charging handle when folded.

Will update on how these shoot and if I run into the dreaded broken mount screw issue. But from a side-by-side with my Troys, I definitely like the design of these a little better.

AndyLate
10-16-20, 07:55
~SNIP~

2. I like the approach to using a single intermediate aperture size on the rear, rather than dual aperture like my Troys use. On a sight whose main role is BUIS or very rare CQ shooting/hunting, I value simplicity over a dual-aperture setup. The intermediate size is perfect for me, it's quick for CQ acquisition, lets in enough light and gives good FOV, and flexible enough to use from CQ to several hundred meters if needed. Will let you know how these hold up in actual shooting, but looking through them and my inline Troys at home, I definitely prefer this aperture.

~SNIP~

This, a thousand times this. My biggest beef with the MBUS is that it "defaults" to a tiny aperature. I don't buy plastic sights for their accuracy potential and I don't want my backup sight to be useless at speed or at night when I first deploy them. At least Troy defaults to a ghost ring.

I drilled the Matech on my LMT "M4 build" and appreciate that MI ships with a similar, useful, aperature.

Andy

Nutro
10-16-20, 14:43
I've always cringed at offset sights but I'm not in battle or 3-gun so I've never really NEEDED them. I'm more interested in them now.

robbins290
10-19-20, 12:42
Today's options are much, much better than with an M21, having to strip off the optic to use irons to get back into a fight. They can be zeroed for both elevation and windage and some are-back-ups to an optical back-up.

You have three-gun game players, and you have guys who have been in combat whose optics have failed. Mine have failed in combat twice, two separate weapons separated by 18 years (an ART 1 telescope and an Eotech).

For left-handed:

https://1xajfw1icg7aoq9hbwm1lcrl-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RTS-Fiber-Optic-Set-Left.jpg

What brand are those off set ones? bottom pic, flip up ones?

maximus83
10-19-20, 13:32
the reviews that got me were the weak mounting / screw?? You ok with that??

As mentioned mine are rock solid, here's the reply from MI after I emailed them about the earlier issue:

"The issue we had was that our screw supplier did not heat treat them correctly, and we sold about 5,000 units until we realized that the screws were bad, we have new screws now that we will send to anyone who asks for them, but your sights are not in the batch that were effected."

titsonritz
10-19-20, 18:41

Knights Armament

Leonardo
10-25-20, 07:07

They are also available as a direct mount, MLOK or KeyMod

titsonritz
04-05-23, 17:28
What is the height over bore for the optic with this mount? I have some Dueck Defense RTS, but they are low compared to a 1.70" or 1.93" optic. Is the optic co-witness height, or lower 1/3? I like the concept...

About 6 months ago, I switched from 45deg BUIS to offset RDS. I had the shakes every time I thought about not having irons... lol.

Per their website...

Co witness with the iron sights in the bottom 1/3 of the red dots field of view leaving the top 2/3 unobstructed by anything for optimal performance.

https://dueckdefense.com/shop/rifles/red-dot-adapter/

Uncas47
04-11-23, 09:00
If I were to do another LPVO those folding Knights would be my first choice. Last time around I had an offset T2, nothing wrong with that, just all more than I need.

1_click_off
04-11-23, 20:40
I like the XS offset sights since they are lower profile, easier to get directly over the bore when you rotate and they are basically pistol sights for close range. I am thinking if a magnified optic goes down you may have time to remove it and flip BUIS, now if you need to transition to close range quickly you can rotate and continue on. I prefer the fixed low profile 45 sights than needing to flip up my 45’s.

https://xssights.com/products/xti2-45-degree-offset-buis-non-tritium-set.html

04-11-23, 21:33
I like the XS offset sights since they are lower profile, easier to get directly over the bore when you rotate and they are basically pistol sights for close range. I am thinking if a magnified optic goes down you may have time to remove it and flip BUIS, now if you need to transition to close range quickly you can rotate and continue on. I prefer the fixed low profile 45 sights than needing to flip up my 45’s.

https://xssights.com/products/xti2-45-degree-offset-buis-non-tritium-set.html

Any thoughts on the height over bore on that? I’ve heard that the XS offset BUIS were too low.

1_click_off
04-18-23, 19:38
Any thoughts on the height over bore on that? I’ve heard that the XS offset BUIS were too low.

I just jabbed my flash hider into some cardboard and then marked with a pen when I looked down the sights. Took a measurement and it was 2.135”. I wasn’t precise when I marked or measured, so I may be off a few thousandths.

The biggest issue I see is people think they have 45deg sights and that they must rotate the rifle 45 to get the sights vertical. All that is needed is for the rifle to be rotated enough to get the dot/sight picture over the barrel centerline. If one rotates to where the sights are true vertical, then the sights are to the left of the barrel centerline.

TehLlama
04-27-23, 21:56
I just jabbed my flash hider into some cardboard and then marked with a pen when I looked down the sights. Took a measurement and it was 2.135”. I wasn’t precise when I marked or measured, so I may be off a few thousandths.

The biggest issue I see is people think they have 45deg sights and that they must rotate the rifle 45 to get the sights vertical. All that is needed is for the rifle to be rotated enough to get the dot/sight picture over the barrel centerline. If one rotates to where the sights are true vertical, then the sights are to the left of the barrel centerline.

Ironically, I also find a lot of utility in having the rifle 'overrotated' in some instances, and using that to get a little bit more offset, or if I'm jammed up somewhere awkward trying to drive an unwieldy thing left-handed, they're actually quite good for the same reasons. It's not a clean cheekweld or anything close to it, but if I can see an FSP through any form of ring, I'm in solid shape.

TehLlama
04-27-23, 21:57

Ironically, I also find a lot of utility in having the rifle 'overrotated' in some instances, and using that to get a little bit more offset, or if I'm jammed up somewhere awkward trying to drive an unwieldy thing left-handed, they're actually quite good for the same reasons. It's not a clean cheekweld or anything close to it, but if I can see an FSP through any form of ring, I'm in solid shape.

cd228
05-01-23, 17:53

I had a pair of those a number of years ago. I don't recall them being tall enough to co-witness. The screw also stripped out and the rear sight disappeared. I'd go with knights or magpul, maybe those MI ones.

1_click_off
07-20-23, 17:04
I had a pair of those a number of years ago. I don't recall them being tall enough to co-witness. The screw also stripped out and the rear sight disappeared. I'd go with knights or magpul, maybe those MI ones.

What are you co-witnessing too? I am confused. Thanks.