PDA

View Full Version : Centurion Arms SOCOM upper ?

Stickman
10-02-20, 14:11
https://centurionarms.com/socom-upper/

I was unaware that Centurion Arms was actually doing a M4 SOCOM / Heavy barrel. My question for people is, has anyone shot their for groups, and if so, how does it measure up (pun intended, see what I did there)?

I'm guessing that based on every barrel from Centurion Arms that I've ever used, the barrels are great shooters, but people always talk about the cuts killing harmonics blah blah blah. I have a Colt Heavy M4 barrel that seems very accurate, and I have some other M4 barrels that are just run of the mil and don't seem bad but aren't anything special either.

If you have one, or even have second hand info that seems legit, please share it. I may just break down and order one, but figured I would check with all of you first.

Thanks for any info!!

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-ua6zvruewu/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/242/949/SOCOM_Upper_No_Handguard__06679.1600374176.jpg?c=1

kyjd75
10-02-20, 18:01
Stickman, you of all people know that if Centurion Arms offers a barrel like this, that it has to be a great shooter. I can't imagine anything less coming from Monty and the gang at CA.

Snyyder
10-02-20, 18:22
Stickman, you of all people know that if Centurion Arms offers a barrel like this, that it has to be a great shooter. I can't imagine anything less coming from Monty and the gang at CA.

I just got one in, and it is out getting P/W.

Going to test it for 5 round groups at 100y with the following:

BH 5.56 77g SMK & TMK
Federal XM193
Fiocchi 223 55g
Winchester 5.56 62g OT, Sweden

Will report back, hopefully next week.

Stickman
10-02-20, 18:27

Oh I do indeed know that Centurion Arms makes great stuff, but that doesn’t change that I have zero info about this barrel, so I figured someone here might be able to compare it to other Centurion Arms offerings, or give some other info about it.

Stickman
10-02-20, 18:27
I just got one in, and it is out getting P/W.

Going to test it for 5 round groups at 100y with the following:

BH 5.56 77g SMK & TMK
Federal XM193
Fiocchi 223 55g
Winchester 5.56 62g OT, Sweden

Will report back, hopefully next week.

Awesome, please do.

markm
10-02-20, 23:24
I can't understand a SOCOM with at lo pro gas block in place of a real FSB.

MWAG19919
10-03-20, 00:12
I love Centurion, but I can't understand who would choose this over their 14.5" RECCE barrel for accuracy, or their CHF barrel for a chrome lined blaster. More options are a good thing I suppose

Rogue556
10-03-20, 00:23
I'm actually curious how these compare to the lightweight barrels in the accuracy department. I didn't realize they were hammer forged and had the thicker chrome lining like their other chrome lined barrels. I assume these probably have the tapered bore that the others have as well? If I was in the market for a carbine gas barrel over 12.5" I'd probably jump all over that.

Is it wrong to want a version of this barrel in midlength with a FSP?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

MWAG19919
10-03-20, 00:25
I'm actually curious how these compare to the lightweight barrels in the accuracy department. I didn't realize they were hammer forged and had the thicker chrome lining like their other chrome lined barrels. I assume these probably have the tapered bore that the others have as well? If I was in the market for a carbine gas barrel over 12.5" I'd probably jump all over that.

Not wrong at all considering how perfectly it would pair with their midlength cutout C4 rails

Stickman
10-03-20, 15:56
I can't understand a SOCOM with at lo pro gas block in place of a real FSB.

Simma down, I remember when you thought all rails and stock upgrades were gay!

Stickman
10-03-20, 15:58
I love Centurion, but I can't understand who would choose this over their 14.5" RECCE barrel for accuracy, or their CHF barrel for a chrome lined blaster. More options are a good thing I suppose

If the role were straight up accuracy, I don’t think it would make since to compare the socom to a recce. However, that doesn’t mean the socom is an inaccurate tube. How it shoots compared to other good barrels, or what sort of groups it gets are what I’m curious about.

Stickman
10-03-20, 15:59

If I didn’t already have a few FSB rails, that is exactly what I would build.

TommyG
10-03-20, 18:01
I'm on the Notify Me list for a barrel when they are back in stock. I still have my upper and lower from the group buy sitting in a box needing to be built. Anxious to try one too.

Jsp10477
10-03-20, 22:21
We’ve built 2 uppers using these barrels. Both used BCM upper receivers and Colt BCG’s. We used a NF SHV 4-14, Harris bipod, and a rear squeeze bag to shoot groups. At 100 yards, both barrels shot Frontier 55gr hpbt “match” ammo into 2 1/2-3 inch groups. We tried a 77gr smk handload, (23.4 gr xbr, Remington 7 1/2 primer in LC once fired brass) and got 2” groups. These didnt group as well as the lw 16” Centurion barrel I have. They did have a smooth recoil impulse for a carbine gassed barrel using a H buffer.