PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Binos in the Car/Truck

AndyLate
10-03-20, 08:35
I have a decent pair of Japanese Tasco 7-35 porro prism binoculars.

Will keeping them in my truck out of direct sunlight destroy them? They will be an a zippered bag to keep dust out. Temps here can reach 100F, but normal highs are 90-95F. It doesn't get below zero in the winter.

I have other binos, but they cost $150-200 and I plan to leave them home unless I know I will use them.

Andy

Averageman
10-03-20, 09:02
I've kept a pair in the glove box for several years now.
No problems.

ST911
10-03-20, 09:53
I have a decent pair of Japanese Tasco 7-35 porro prism binoculars.

Will keeping them in my truck out of direct sunlight destroy them? They will be an a zippered bag to keep dust out. Temps here can reach 100F, but normal highs are 90-95F. It doesn't get below zero in the winter.

I have other binos, but they cost $150-200 and I plan to leave them home unless I know I will use them.

I've kept binos in cars at temp extremes for years. They're fine.

AndyLate
10-03-20, 10:26
It's obvious I was over thinking it.

Thanks

Andy

Esq.
10-03-20, 13:52
It's obvious I was over thinking it.

Thanks

Andy

Yes and no. I had a pair of Nikon 10x50s that lasted only 2 years in my truck before they lost collimation. Replaced with a pair of 9x40 Steiners 6 years ago, no issues since.

Pappabear
10-03-20, 18:30
I wouldn't think so, but depends on the quality of the goggles.

PB

ssc
10-03-20, 21:00
I have kept Bino's in my boats and rigs for years. This includes less expensive Japanese bino's to Zeiss and Vortex. I can't give any input respecting cold temperatures since it rarely gets below 40 here, but when it comes to hot, no problem. I have a house in Lake Havasu and keep one rig there with Bino's and it does tend to get a bit warm, if you consider 123 degrees warm. I was using them on the range not too long ago and it was 116.

Cheers, Steve

AndyLate
10-04-20, 07:43
It doesn't get cold enough here to matter, I was worried more about the heat. I could afford to buy a pair of binoculars every year if keeping them in the truck caused them to come unglued (literally) but it seems foolish to destroy them out of hand.

I'm certain that the better binoculars would tolerate more heat and vibration that cheaper pairs, but my most expensive binoculars retailed at $350 and even that seems ridiculous (I bought them on clearance for less than half that).

I will pick up a pair of $100 Vortex porro prism binoculars if the Tascos bite the dust and leverage their warranty/CS.

Andy

AndyLate
10-11-20, 08:11
So last weekend my wife handed me a bunch of Cabellas/Bass Pro gift cards and told me I better use them before they expire. Since I can't buy ammo, I picked up a pair of Vortex Raptor 8.5x32 bios to keep in my truck. I hate that they are Chinese, love that Vortex will fix/replace them no matter what.

Andy

Bullz
02-04-21, 21:51
This is funny... I have Bushnell Legend or Elite (something like that) Binoculars sitting on the dash of my truck, in direct sunlight... who knows how hot that gets. Been like that for 5 years and I use them all the time. They're still in perfect shape, except for the spots where I dropped them. It never occurred to me that anything would go wrong doing that.

matemike
02-04-21, 22:23
for me it's a no no no. my local temps hit 100+ in the summer so 140+ inside a parked car.

That being said, I have a pair or throw away pocket bushnells that have been in my center console for years now and they work fine for a quick glance from the truck. They suck compared to my swarovski work and my swarovski hunting binos. Although those are better built, I would never leave the swaro's in the car for many reasons.