PDA

View Full Version : Help! Stuck gas tube roll pin

zgrins1
10-03-20, 14:47
Hey guys. I'm having a problem with removing a gas tube off of FSB.
I have an older Sabre Defense 16 inch upper that has less than 1000 rounds through it and shouts very accurately and decided to put a free float rail on it. I just got my BCM MCMR 15 and decided to cut my FSB. I was able to remove FSB taper pins fairly easy, however I am having difficulties removing a gas tube roll pin. I got a Tekton 5/64 roll pin punch and first used a nylon tipped hammer to no avail. Then I grabbed a regular hammer and slightly bent a punch with a roll pin not budging at all. I then sprayed PB blaster in there and left overnight. Nothing. Next I grabbed a torch and heated around a roll pin. Again it would not move. I'm going to try to freeze it and see if it moves. Are there any tricks I can use to remove that pesky little pin? Thanks guys.

TomMcC
10-03-20, 15:14
Did you try it from both directions?

militarymoron
10-03-20, 15:31
Did you try it from both directions?

Shouldn't matter for a gas tube roll pin as it's not tapered.

TomMcC
10-03-20, 15:40
Shouldn't matter for a gas tube roll pin as it's not tapered.

I know, but I was wondering if there was something going on on one side of the gas block, like some steel got pushed slightly over the pin.

GH41
10-03-20, 15:59
Are you sure the punch is 5/64? A role pin shouldn't offer much resistance.

zgrins1
10-03-20, 15:59
I did try it in both directions.

zgrins1
10-03-20, 16:02
It is marked 5/64 and it does fit in. Here is a link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QV2JZDO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TomMcC
10-03-20, 16:24
You might have to rig up some sort of pusher. Maybe with a small c clamp. Cut some wood blocks that roughly fit the gas block so you have something to push against when you mount the c clamp. Use an old drill bit that fits the roll pin, use the smooth part. Probably need another set of hands. A large pair of pliers or locking pliers could be used instead of a c clamp.

boss_hawg
10-03-20, 16:55
Have you tried a 1/16 punch?

zgrins1
10-03-20, 23:18
Freezer trick did not work just as 1/16 punch did not. I will try pushing it out with a big clamp, and if not I will just leave it on and attempt to cut FSB with the gas tube still attached. If worst come to worst I guess I will just get a gas block with a new gas tube and a pin.

militarymoron
10-04-20, 01:25
I know, but I was wondering if there was something going on on one side of the gas block, like some steel got pushed slightly over the pin.

Oh ok - I see where you were going with that.

JulyAZ
10-04-20, 03:13
I’ve found that even with the right sizes punch, they tend to suck. The best and easiest way is with a true rol pin punch with the rounded end to stick into the roll pin itself, then once it’s moving put a flat punch in and finish it on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pinzgauer
10-04-20, 11:29
Even with proper punches I've had them stick. I've pretty much decided its not worth destroying the fsb and gas tube trying to get it out. If you're removing the fab just leave them intact and you can use it on something else.

if you're trying to cut down the fsb you just need to work around it, should be able to do that without difficulty

MWAG19919
10-04-20, 12:29
I had trouble removing a Colt gas tube roll pin, and soaking it in Kroil for a few hours helped me

Steve-0-
10-05-20, 01:00
The simple black oxide roll pins can become a bitch to remove. This is why Ive only used stainless gas tube roll pins. Ive hammered them out with ease after 20k of full auto fire with little effort. As for advice, make sure youre using brass againt the punch and get a quality starrett punch.

rcoe
10-05-20, 09:56
I am betting that even if you get the pin out the tube might be seized in there as well. Might want to cut it as is.

zgrins1
10-05-20, 20:37
I thinks i will try one more thing before getting to that. I'm going to try to build a small press using 2 layers of glued together plywood in such a way that FSB will fit between top and bottom layers. i will then drill a 1/16 hole all the way through the top and bottom layers and half way through top layer with the diameter of my punch, so it can serve as a guide for 1/16 punch. I will then use 8-inch C-clamp as a press. I' gonna give this a shot and see if I can press it out.

Steve-0-
10-05-20, 20:49
I thinks i will try one more thing before getting to that. I'm going to try to build a small press using 2 layers of glued together plywood in such a way that FSB will fit between top and bottom layers. i will then drill a 1/16 hole all the way through the top and bottom layers and half way through top layer with the diameter of my punch, so it can serve as a guide for 1/16 punch. I will then use 8-inch C-clamp as a press. I' gonna give this a shot and see if I can press it out.

Try a 1/16 tapered punch first. Those wont bend like the straight ones. China freight has them for a couple bucks.

zgrins1
10-07-20, 14:53
Update.
Nothing worked and I ended up cutting my FSB with a gas tube still attached without much trouble.
Thanks everyone for your help.

TomMcC
10-07-20, 19:03
Update.
Nothing worked and I ended up cutting my FSB with a gas tube still attached without much trouble.
Thanks everyone for your help.

I know you've moved on, but the last resort is to drill it out...carefully drill it out.

JulyAZ
10-07-20, 19:05
I know you've moved on, but the last resort is to drill it out...carefully drill it out.

Or....now hear me out....

Take it to a gunsmith, or knowledgeable Gun shop that works on ARs, before jumping to the power tools.

TomMcC
10-07-20, 19:27
Or....now hear me out....

Take it to a gunsmith, or knowledgeable Gun shop that works on ARs, before jumping to the power tools.

Yeah your right, I was thinking this was DIY only. When all else fails get a pro.