PDA

View Full Version : Patriot Ordnance?

cop1211
11-30-08, 19:22
Thinking about getting a POF 14.5 upper. Anyone have any knowledge on Patriot Ordnance?

Jay Cunningham
11-30-08, 19:24
Well, they are one of our sponsors...

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45

TUNNEL RAT 33
11-30-08, 19:39
they make a good rifle . check for past threads as there are tons of stuff about them here as well as comparisons between them and other piston guns

mpardun
11-30-08, 19:46
It was 100% reliable, well built, great fit-n-finish...never a problem.

My ONLY complaint was that it was heavier than I (thought) it should be and the piston system/proprietary barrel nut meant the likes of LaRue, DD and other railed handguards do not fit - so the POF built Predator system is your only choice (or std. M4 carbine handguards).

gishooter
11-30-08, 20:14
I have a P416 with a 16 in and all the fixins and It was waaayyyy heavier than the CMMG piston M4 I had. Botton line is I think it is a great gun, I have a Colt and a CMMG and the POF is by far my favorite, VERY easy to clean. With the Predator Modular rail the feels about as tough and well built as an M4 can feel. The only problem I have had is getting the BUIS on paper right know, had to remove them and and must have moved something way out of whack. You truely can fire 90 or so rds and then crack the gun open and hold the bolt in your hand. Really like the hider/compensator they have on there guns.

FJB
11-30-08, 22:00
I have T&E'd their 1st Gen 10.5" and 2d Gen 13.5" & 14.5" 5.56mm uppers. All of these ran extremely well for me with the 10.5" surviving three Gunsite 223 classes and going over 3,000 rounds without cleaning. The 13.5" survived two EAG tactical classes and one Gunsite 223 class without cleaning. The 14.5" survived one EAG tactical class with no problems. That all said POF did have an issue with the chrome lining with some of their uppers for a while. The chambers were bored for 5.56NATO but there was excess chrome after the process and the chambers were too tight causing failures to extract. I have also seen the gas key self destruct on friends 2d Gen POF.

Frank DeSomma, who owns POF, has been aware of the problems and has been working on fixing them. The new POF guns/uppers using the melonite barrels seem to be working extremely well. He has really tightened up QC/QA at his factory as well. I recommend his newer manufactured guns/uppers.

If POF carbines are like HK416's so if using an Aimpoint CompM2/M3 use the LT RASII mounts, if CompM4/M4S remove the factory mount spacer or use the LT 416 mount, if Micro T-1 ask for the LT 66X HK416 mount. Actually POF will be selling the Micro T-1s with those mounts very soon.

S/F

cop1211
11-30-08, 22:48
Thank you all for the replies. I'll be ordering a 14.5 in 4-5 months, cop with wife and 4 kids, so Xmas broke me. On that ,does POF offer LEO DISCOUNTS?

heijutsu
12-01-08, 11:14
I've had two and loved them both. I met Frank's brother Pat a couple weeks ago while waiting to get into a gun show. Super nice guy's and I would definitely recommend doing business with them.