PDA

View Full Version : I have some concerns about my lower.

parishioner
11-30-08, 20:47
Please bear with me here. I just got finished building my first lower the other week and I ran into a few bumps which I expected because everytime you build something new it doesnt go quite as planned. Anyway, I followed the directions and was at the last part where you insert the takedown spring in that hole in the back of the lower. The spring would not fit at all and at first I thought my lower was out of spec or something. Then I watched a video about how to build a lower and I noticed the spring the guy used was kind of long and springy. I then thought that I might have used the takedown spring for the selector spring and I was trying to put the selector spring where the takedown spring went. I unscrewed my grip and sure enough that spring looked a little longer and looser. So I switched the springs but when I went to put the grip back on it took a lot of pressure to hold down and now my saftey selector feels funny. Also when I have it on safe, there is a little bit of play in the trigger where as before it everything felt perfect and the trigger didnt move. Is this ok? Will it fix itself once I shoot it or do I have to cut the spring or something? Also, I think I may have made my magazine catch too tight but I cant loosen it because the bolt catch is in the way. Im guessing Im going to have to take that roll pin out so I can unscrew the magazine catch a little. Has anyone had to do this before? I apologize for being a little paranoid but this is my only one and I dont want to screw it up. Thanks for the help.

Hang-Fire
11-30-08, 23:33
Mag catch first. If you screwed it in, you can screw it back out. Have you tried using a platic punch of some type to push in the mag release button to give you some extra slack? As for the takedown pin, make sure your detent is in the groove in the takedown pin, that's a little extra room. Will the initial spring you tried fit in the hole at all? The safety should not have any play in it. It should positively smap into safe and fire modes with little to no play.

10MMGary
11-30-08, 23:51
I am no expert but I have assembled several ARs from completely stripped lowers and uppers over the last 20 years. I would have to say no, everything is not ok. Springs should not have to be cut if the proper spring is placed in its correct location. If I were you I wouldn't shoot/trust it until it has been checked out by a qualified AR smith.
Stay safe and good luck,
Gary

Iraqgunz
12-01-08, 00:34
The rear take down detent spring and the selector lever detent spring are 2 different ones. The thicker stouter spring goes into the pistol grip and into the lower. Make sure that the detent for the safety/ selector lever is in place as well as the one in the rear for the take down pin. DO NOT CUT SPRINGS!

Magazine release is no problem. All you need to do is push in the mag release (all the way) with a small punch and then back out the catch on the left side. Even with the bolt catch installed if you push it ALL THE WAY through you should be able to rotate the catch. Based on what you have said 2 complete revolutions should put you where you need to be.

parishioner
12-01-08, 01:38
Thanks for the help. I have tried pushing it in with a punch and trying to turn it but when I do it hits the bolt catch. I guess im going to have to get something to hold it in place so I can really push hard. Now that Im thinking about it, when I was switching the springs (I definitely had the springs mixed up) I could have lost the detent that was for the selector because I did switch grips from the regular to a magpul. Im going to check tommorow and see if thats whats making the safety act funny. Ill get back.

Iraqgunz
12-01-08, 01:54
I just grabbed on of my carbines here to try it and make sure that I wasn't smoking crack. If the bolt catch is in the relaxed position, and you take a punch and push on the center of the mag catch(the catch itself not the button) on the right side you should easily be able to make the adjustment. I just did it and had no issues at all.

Thanks for the help. I have tried pushing it in with a punch and trying to turn it but when I do it hits the bolt catch. I guess im going to have to get something to hold it in place so I can really push hard. Now that Im thinking about it, when I was switching the springs (I definitely had the springs mixed up) I could have lost the detent that was for the selector because I did switch grips from the regular to a magpul. Im going to check tommorow and see if thats whats making the safety act funny. Ill get back.

spamsammich
12-01-08, 06:18
If you don't have the pin in the selector detent, it will definitely feel like shit. One of my cousin's lowers was set up like that, he left the pin in his parts pile. Like others have said, dont cut your springs!

Push harder on that mag release, it shouldn't be has difficult as you're making it out to be.