PDA

View Full Version : Best mlok rail

chamber143
10-06-20, 16:14
I know i need to use the search feature but as i have posted, i cant seem to get the search function to work. All i get is a single screen shot of the thread and it may have 3-4 posts on it.

So my question is, what is the best free float rail, preferable mlok for a 14.5 inch rifle? i will be shaving a fsb and want to put a rail on it. THanks in advance.

aap3535
10-06-20, 16:36
I like my Centurion Arms C4 mlok. Solid, 2 piece that attacheds to standard barrel nut. No need to remove FSB or perm attached muzzle device in case it's not a registered SBR.

Defaultmp3
10-06-20, 17:08
The best M-LOK rail... probably the Magpul: https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/rails/1913-picatinny-rail-sections.html

Nice beveling, great tolerance holding, can be had in both polymer and aluminum depending on your needs.

Now, if you're looking for the best M-LOK handguard... depends on what you're looking for. Rigidity? Lightweight? Small OD? Sharp profile for better grip? You might as well be asking "what is the best AR-15" without stating the purpose you seek to fulfill. The preferred handguard will differ between a gamer gun, hunting rifle, NVG-oriented, home defense, etc.

chamber143
10-06-20, 17:09
I like my Centurion Arms C4 mlok. Solid, 2 piece that attacheds to standard barrel nut. No need to remove FSB or perm attached muzzle device in case it's not a registered SBR.

it will be on an sbr lower. I really want the fsb gone and a longer rail put on. I have heard good things about centurion arms though. May be an option

chamber143
10-06-20, 17:13
The best M-LOK rail... probably the Magpul: https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/rails/1913-picatinny-rail-sections.html

Nice beveling, great tolerance holding, can be had in both polymer and aluminum depending on your needs.

Now, if you're looking for the best M-LOK handguard... depends on what you're looking for. Rigidity? Lightweight? Small OD? Sharp profile for better grip? You might as well be asking "what is the best AR-15" without stating the purpose you seek to fulfill. The preferred handguard will differ between a gamer gun, hunting rifle, NVG-oriented, home defense, etc.

Thanks for the lesson in semantics. Always one on here. I am sure you can understand by what I posted what I meant. But in case you couldn't, I would like rigid but not at the expense of diameter. I really like the overall diameter of the bcm hand guards but don't mind being a little larger if it means more bombproof. I have a couple bcm mlok handguards and they have all been great.

B Cart
10-06-20, 18:00
A lot of people seem to like the Geissele MK8 MLOK Super Modular Rail (and yes, they call it a rail not a handguard).

Centurion is also highly regarded.

You can't go wrong with either of those two brands

MC_Oper8or
10-06-20, 18:06
Geissele for sure. I would add the Tri-Lok handguard as well.

titsonritz
10-06-20, 18:08
I have Mlok "handguards" from BCM, Centurion Arms, Geissele and SLR rifleworks and would not hesitate to recommend any of them.

chamber143
10-06-20, 18:09
A lot of people seem to like the Geissele MK8 MLOK Super Modular Rail (and yes, they call it a rail not a handguard).

Centurion is also highly regarded.

You can't go wrong with either of those two brands

Yeah I know but there is always someone on each post who try’s to show their superior intellect but really adding nothing. I want to try the geiselle, but now the challenge of finding one in stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegademiC
10-06-20, 18:18
If you want to retain gi barrel nut: centurion
If not: urx4 looks Like the best imo.
If not and you want low price: bcm

I have a bcm for an 11.5” and love it so far.
I plan on a urx4 for a future precision build with ir- might be more than you need, but its the simplest construction.

Defaultmp3
10-06-20, 18:49
Yeah I know but there is always someone on each post who try’s to show their superior intellect but really adding nothing. I want to try the geiselle, but now the challenge of finding one in stockWords have meaning. Just because a manufacturer misuses the term too doesn't mean it's right. It's not about intellect, it's about laziness. If I wanted to show off my superior intellect, I'd post a step-by-step of how to do a search.

I'm not sure I see a comparison between the MK8 and the MCMR; those are pretty much total opposites in philosophy, with the MK8 being angular and fairly bulky, but also having excellent rigidity, while the MCMR is svelt and lacks sharp corners for the most part. They're both excellent handguards, but again, totally different uses.

I would also caution against the URX4 if rigidity is paramount, as my friend can load the bipod on his LPR and get significant POA/POI shifts. That being said, rigidity is way overrated for most people. Unless you're using a laser or iron sight, handguard rigidity plays no real role. There is some correlation between rigidity and robustness of a handguard, but it does not go hand-in-hand; the original CA CMRs are extremely robust, yet due to their barrel nut interface, are not particularly rigid in comparison to the WedgeLock or Geissele MK1/MK4/MK8.

Renegade04
10-06-20, 20:52
it will be on an sbr lower. I really want the fsb gone and a longer rail put on. I have heard good things about centurion arms though. May be an option

You really should consider it.

https://i.imgur.com/W5Ta5tp.jpg

LaRue Tactical L.A.T. handguard is another really good option.

https://i.imgur.com/yiVHsDk.jpg

There are also numerous options from Midwest Industries, including their Combat handguard.

https://i.imgur.com/9XL0POO.jpg

Dukr
10-06-20, 20:58
You should look at Midwest Industries Combat Rail. I really like some of the products MI puts out.

Sent from my KFMUWI using Tapatalk

chamber143
10-07-20, 06:14
Words have meaning. Just because a manufacturer misuses the term too doesn't mean it's right. It's not about intellect, it's about laziness. If I wanted to show off my superior intellect, I'd post a step-by-step of how to do a search.

I'm not sure I see a comparison between the MK8 and the MCMR; those are pretty much total opposites in philosophy, with the MK8 being angular and fairly bulky, but also having excellent rigidity, while the MCMR is svelt and lacks sharp corners for the most part. They're both excellent handguards, but again, totally different uses.

I would also caution against the URX4 if rigidity is paramount, as my friend can load the bipod on his LPR and get significant POA/POI shifts. That being said, rigidity is way overrated for most people. Unless you're using a laser or iron sight, handguard rigidity plays no real role. There is some correlation between rigidity and robustness of a handguard, but it does not go hand-in-hand; the original CA CMRs are extremely robust, yet due to their barrel nut interface, are not particularly rigid in comparison to the WedgeLock or Geissele MK1/MK4/MK8.

Your right they do. Kinda like jerk off or prick. Rail, Handguard, thingymajig that holds shit on the front of the receiver. At this point who really gives a shit about that other than you. Now that we are past that, all your other information was spot on and much appreciated. My point was a simple one to begin with and that was why couldn't you have just posted helpful information, like you did above, and keep all the condescending stuff to your self, because you seem to have some good info.

As for the search function I still don't know why it isn't working for me on my desktop. I don't know if its an iOS problem or what but when I search for something I only get a screenshot and not the whole thread.

Hank6046
10-07-20, 07:53

I plan on a urx4 for a future precision build with ir- might be more than you need, but its the simplest construction.

^^^This, Geissele, ALG, DD, Midwest, CMT Etc.. etc...

Honestly, it's not about the best rail, it is about how you are setting up your rifle and what you want out of it.

chamber143
10-07-20, 07:54
Trying to be a better Christian today

Hank6046
10-07-20, 07:59
Trying to be a better Christian today

Water off a duck's back my friend

Stickman
10-07-20, 09:12
I must have missed it, but on a 14.5” barrel, how long did you want the rail to be?

chamber143
10-07-20, 09:16
I must have missed it, but on a 14.5” barrel, how long did you want the rail to be?

12- how ever long will for a rc2 to lock on

everready73
10-07-20, 09:19
My preferred are

Centurion C4 and CMR mlock

SLR

SOLGW Wedgelock look nice although i have never owned one

Forward controls design RHF

chamber143
10-07-20, 09:40
Anyone know how much clearance behind the muzzle device a SureFire so com rc2 needs

Leonidas24
10-07-20, 16:46
Anyone know how much clearance behind the muzzle device a SureFire so com rc2 needs

13-13.5" is about as long as most go on a 14.5" barrel.

As for handguard choice it's going to come down to what feels comfortable in your hand (among 15,000 other variables). The choices mentioned beforehand; Geissele, KAC, Midwest Industries, Centurion Arms, SOLGW, Triarc, Sionics, Hodge (if you can find them,) CMT, BCM, etc, all make great stuff. And, within each of those companies there's normally more than one profile or length that you can choose from. I personally find the Centurion CMR and BCM MCMR to be the most comfortable to hold for long periods, but each have their drawbacks and advantages when compared against all the others. With that said, I also just ditched a KAC URX4 in favor of a picatinny handguard from Forward Control Designs, so what may work for me and be considered "best" may not be the same for someone else, or work for your particular set of circumstances.

OldState
10-07-20, 17:11
I have rails from DD, Geissele and MI. I guess the Geissele MK 16 has the most robust barrel nut attachment design but honestly I kind of like my MI Combat rail a bit more. It’s lighter, has mlok on the 45s (which I used), anti rotation tabs and seems pretty strong. Disclosure: I’m not a door kicker and only use these rifles for (The occasional) carbine classes and training. I also don’t use night vision and only have a scout light, pressure pad, BUIS, and hand stop mounted to it.

OrbitalE
10-07-20, 23:33

URX4 is a pain in the dick to install. Hope your gas block set screws line up.

RUTGERS95
10-09-20, 23:27
love the centurion but to be honest, the LaRue Lat is pretty incredible and don't think you can find one more rock solid

Talking Monkey
10-12-20, 17:05
The BCM MCMR has become my go-to. Personally, I feel that they are the best balance of weight, durability, and cost for most general-use applications. This was especially true when you could find them on sale in the $165 to $185 range for a 15". At full retail I might consider other options, but even then I still think it's a good choice.

MWAG19919
10-12-20, 17:29
I have an original BCM KMR and tbh it's not too rigid. I'm not sure if the flex I see carries over to the KMR-A, MCMR, and QRF that share the same barrel nut, but if I were depending on a rail to maintain zero for a laser I'd probably pass up BCM.

My Centurion C4 MLOK is rock solid and very easy to install