PDA

View Full Version : Centurion M-LOK rail / Pressure Switch Wire

Cincinnatus15
10-07-20, 09:30
Good Morning -

I apologize if this is in the wrong sub forum. I just bought a lightweight CM4 Complete rifle from Centurion and I’ve mounted a TLR-1 to the right side of the M-LOK rail via a BCM Pic rail adapter at the 3 O’Clock position. I have also mounted a stream light pressure switch at the 12 O’clock position directly behind my BUIS.

The pressure switch cord is secured under the lip of the top pic rail and is completely tucked out of the way. The set up is very comfortable for me and allows me to get further out on my rail with my support hand and still engage the light very easily without adjusting my grip. The cord is secured to the rail with black zip ties that came with the switch mount through the vent holes between the mlok rail and pic rail on top.

From what I can see, the zip ties are between 1/8” and 1/4” away from the gas tube. I’ve been wondering if heat would be an issue. I don’t plan on shooting this thing until the barrel is glowing but would like a durable and reliable set up. As I said before the placement of the light/switch/cord is about perfect where it is and would like to keep it there.

I’ve tried adding pictures but not sure how on my phone.

If anyone with a similar set up or that has experience with one could chime in would be much appreciated.

drtywk
10-07-20, 19:00
The nice part about zip ties is that they are cheap and easy to replace. Another option are the index clips from LaRue and the cord management ladder panels from Ergo. I use zip ties and the Index Clips with no issues.

Larue: https://www.larue.com/products/larue-camo-index-clip-set-72-pcs/

Ergo: https://www.ergogrips.net/shop/ergo-5-slot-lowpro-wire-loom-rail-covers/

Stickman
10-08-20, 10:28
From what I can see, the zip ties are between 1/8” and 1/4” away from the gas tube. I’ve been wondering if heat would be an issue. I don’t plan on shooting this thing until the barrel is glowing but would like a durable and reliable set up. As I said before the placement of the light/switch/cord is about perfect where it is and would like to keep it there.

I would put the cords on the outside of the rail, not inside. My concern, much like yours, would be heat if the wires are 1/8" away from the gas tube.

Cincinnatus15
10-08-20, 12:38
I would put the cords on the outside of the rail, not inside. My concern, much like yours, would be heat if the wires are 1/8" away from the gas tube.

Well the zip ties are inside the rail. The wires are outside. My concern is with the zip ties being exposed to heat from the gas tube.

I uploaded a picture, not sure if you can see it?

MegademiC
10-08-20, 16:17
Why are you concerned? If one melts, just replace it.

I would be surprised if you got your gun that hot.

Dukr
10-08-20, 20:11
They have metal zip ties.

Cincinnatus15
10-08-20, 20:17
Why are you concerned? If one melts, just replace it.

I would be surprised if you got your gun that hot.

True. Just thought I’d ask if there was a potential issue with it.

Cincinnatus15
10-08-20, 20:18
They have metal zip ties.

That’s a good idea, I appreciate it.

lazerblazer
10-09-20, 00:10
That’s a good idea, I appreciate it.Just remember that metal zip tie is going to transfer heat to the wire as well. So it may not be as cool an idea as you may think[emoji38].

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Cincinnatus15
10-09-20, 06:52
Just remember that metal zip tie is going to transfer heat to the wire as well. So it may not be as cool an idea as you may think[emoji38].

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Alright well fine. That was a terrible idea Dukr.

Stickman
10-09-20, 13:08
Alright well fine. That was a terrible idea Dukr.

They also tend to have sharp edges...

I would (and do) use the plastic / nylon ones without concern. If needed, just tie them down again. If you were super worried, you could use wire ties, but I personally think that's over kill unless you are slaughtering a lot of zipties in your routine uses.

Disciple
10-09-20, 14:09
There are PEEK (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyether_ether_ketone) cable ties rated to 260°C. They seem to come in expensive packs of 100 mostly, but McMaster has them individually https://www.mcmaster.com/70215K28/

Cincinnatus15
10-09-20, 20:26
They also tend to have sharp edges...

I would (and do) use the plastic / nylon ones without concern. If needed, just tie them down again. If you were super worried, you could use wire ties, but I personally think that's over kill unless you are slaughtering a lot of zipties in your routine uses.

Sounds good. I’ll run em until they fail and replace as necessary. I appreciate it