PDA

View Full Version : White Noise Defense FOSSA 556 flash hider . . . your experience?

Mean Bone
10-09-20, 17:08
If you are you using, what has been your experience?

Did you use a crush washer or spacers?

What were you using before?

Can you tell a difference in the flash?
Recoil?
Muzzle rise?

GH41
10-09-20, 18:20
If you are you using, what has been your experience?

Did you use a crush washer or spacers?

What were you using before?

Can you tell a difference in the flash?
Recoil?
Muzzle rise?

I have only looked at the pictures so consider my opinion drive by at best. You are probably dreaming if you think it will reduce recoil or jump. Most 3 prongs do pretty good at reducing flash sig but some are known to be better than others. It's probably overkill on a MD like that to use anything other than a crush washer. Why don't you buy one, screw it on and let us know what you think??

Leonidas24
10-10-20, 14:26
It looks a lot like a three-prong version of the Vortex flash hider by Smith Enterprise, but at twice the price. The only real difference beyond the number of tines I can notice is that each tine has varying amounts of material removed to prevent resonance.

Objectively like other open tine flash hiders (Vortex, BE Meyers, Surefire, AAC, Dead Air, Silencerco, etc) it'll be very effective at eliminating flash, better than a brake or comp on dust signature if you're shooting prone, and will offer negligible recoil or muzzle rise mitigation. For a dedicated flash hider that isn't mounting a suppressor a crush washer typically works best, but it ultimately doesn't matter that much. The Vortex G6 is nice in that you don't need washers or shims of any kind, as the design of it is self-tightening.

Regarding a "difference in flash," compared to what? If you're comparing to a bare muzzle then sure, it'll be night and day. But, compared to something like an A2 flash hider it won't be as noticeable unless it's on a shorter barrel. The FCD 6315KM on my 12.5" still occasionally lets loose a fireball when I'm shooting XM193, a very flashy ammo by itself, but isn't an issue at all on my 16" with an A2 flash hider.

Biggy
10-10-20, 15:35
I have been using them for awhile and it’s my favorite flash hider. Below is a review of it.

https://youtu.be/bpy4DEMrd2M

calvin118
10-10-20, 16:53
I have had one pinned on a 14.5 barrel since around 2013. Compared to an identical barrel with a pinned a2x it had noticeably less subjective muzzle rise. I believe there is some compensating effect, though granted it is small. Absolutely zero flash comes off that upper shooting in the dark. A2s on 14-16" barrels have mild flash mostly coming up out of the ports. No ringing. In my opinion it is superior to an a2 but whether the weight length and cost are worth it will vary from person to person.

Mean Bone
10-10-20, 20:18
. . . Why don't you buy one, screw it on and let us know what you think??

I think I will.

Biggy, thanks for the video!

Mean Bone
10-10-20, 20:45
Doing a little more research I found this regarding just the flash hiding aspect. There's a chart HERE (https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/FHT2_Chart_All.jpg) with the best at the top.

The article is HERE (https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar-15-flash-hiding-test-2/).

10-11-20, 01:08
It is not a three prong version of the Vortex. On the Fossa, the prongs have a reverse taper to force gasses. And the bottom prong is much wider, giving it muzzle rise compensation. It is an exceptional device, but of course, longer than an A2.

titsonritz
10-12-20, 13:22
It is not a three prong version of the Vortex. On the Fossa, the prongs have a reverse taper to force gasses. And the bottom prong is much wider, giving it muzzle rise compensation. It is an exceptional device, but of course, longer than an A2.

^^This.

The FOSSA has noticeably less muzzle flash over an A2 without increased blast. I've taken a couple low light classes and it had less flash than any of the other MD present including some of the cans. I used a PWS shim kit to install one on my 16" SIONICS LW Patrol IIIXL w/ an A5 buffer system and it is one smooth shooting machine. I'm wrestling with pinning one to my BCM 14.5 ELW. I think the price is a little crazy but if that doesn't deter you I would not hesitate to recommend one.

ETA:
Many 3 prong FH have that annoying tuning fork ring to them, the FOSSA does not.

A solid review...

https://www.blacksheepwarrior.com/white-sound-defense-fossa-556-flash-hider-review/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3lm6denbNU&feature=emb_title

Mean Bone
10-12-20, 20:20
Impressive video!

Mean Bone
10-30-20, 23:13
. . . Why don't you buy one, screw it on and let us know what you think??

Well . . . I did!

Since I was by myself at the range I had to lay the rifle on the table on its left side and pointing downrange with the butt of the stock resting against my belly I pulled the trigger videoing the result. This picture was pulled from the video.

This was taken around 1900 with sundown between 1845-1850. It was darker than what the picture would lead you believe. That's why the fireball is so visible.

After seeing the video I had my doubts about the FOSSA.

Two or three days later I returned with the FOSSA 556 installed. Repeated the same scenario at about the same time and I swear the fireball was gone!

This frame was pulled from the video at the moment it fired . . . no fireballl!

I'm impressed!

There is supposed to be some compensation since the device is timed but shouldering the rifle I could tell no difference.

At $100-$109 it's expensive but I'm happy!

Mean Bone
10-31-20, 09:31
And I forgot to add . . . no ringing!

PappyM3
11-05-20, 20:08
I wanted to use the FOSSA. But I was on a backorder for several months and the only thing the distributor could tell me about a timetable was “that’s determined by the manufacturer”, or something to that effect. This was last year before COVID supply issues. I cancelled my order. It seems like the FOSSA is vaporware now.

titsonritz
11-05-20, 20:14
I wanted to use the FOSSA. But I was on a backorder for several months and the only thing the distributor could tell me about a timetable was “that’s determined by the manufacturer”, or something to that effect. This was last year before COVID supply issues. I cancelled my order. It seems like the FOSSA is vaporware now.

Say "In stock ready to ship"

https://www.at3tactical.com/products/fossa-556-flash-hider-muzzle-device-by-white-sound-defense

PappyM3
11-05-20, 21:40
Say "In stock ready to ship"

https://www.at3tactical.com/products/fossa-556-flash-hider-muzzle-device-by-white-sound-defense

Cool. I went a different route, but that’s a good heads up for others interested.

Disciple
11-05-20, 21:49
This picture was pulled from the video.

This was taken around 1900 with sundown between 1845-1850. It was darker than what the picture would lead you believe. That's why the fireball is so visible.

What muzzle device is this? Is that an A2 installed sideways?

titsonritz
11-05-20, 21:51
Yes that's an A2.
If you read the post he states the weapon in on it's left side.

11-06-20, 13:10
Looks like a BCM Gunfighter comp to me. Definitely not an A2.

Yes that's an A2.
If you read the post he states the weapon in on it's left side.

titsonritz
11-06-20, 13:43
Looks like a BCM Gunfighter comp to me. Definitely not an A2.

Upon closer look I think you're right.

Mean Bone
11-09-20, 21:02

Sorry for the delay getting back. This was the original BCM Compensator Mod 0 that came with the rifle.

jason el cuerdo
01-27-21, 16:59
FWIW I "tested" the recoil attenuation as best I could by shooting my 6920 one day, installing the FOSSA that night, and then shooting the next day.

The recoil reduction was significant enough that I noticed it immediately. I can't say I paid any attention to how it affected the muzzle rise specifically, just that I had an instantaneous reaction of "oh wow it does actually work some".

I have since bought a couple more and "one of these days" intend to have the gunfighter 1 cut off one of my 14.5" BCMs and install the FOSSA so I can do a side-by-side comparison.

I also bought and installed one on a 16" .308 build that I have also run a KAC MAMS on. Recoil reduction was noticeably better on the MAMS, but (and this goes for the 5.56 version too) the FOSSA doesn't generate much if any pressure blast to the sides/rear. On the ground between the concrete walls/legs of the rather narrowly spaced shooting stations the MAMS blast muzzle blast was slapping me so hard I started to feel like I was getting a concussion whereas I never noticed the FOSSA.

Wow
03-01-22, 17:49
Anyone know where these can be bought still. Seems like every where is out of stock.

titsonritz
03-01-22, 18:03
Anyone know where these can be bought still. Seems like every where is out of stock.

I've bought them from AT3Tactical and Atlantic Tactical. If they are not in stock I would suggest signing up on their email notification and jumping fast when you get the email.

titsonritz
03-01-22, 18:10
This is from CPWSA:

I keep getting calls and emails asking me when we'll get the 5.56 FOSSAs back in stock. Bottom line is, I don't know. It's a great product and I get it. You have one and want more, or you've heard about them and want to try one. Sorry I can't be more specific on timelines.

What I do know is White Sound Defense ran into a supply issue with the FOSSAs several months ago. They are unable to provide even a rough timeframe as to when they would get more. The last time I spoke with them, they mentioned possibly incorporating some desired design changes into the original FOSSA in which case there will be no more original FOSSAs ever, but hopefully at some point a redesigned version.

The best thing to do is use the "Notify Me When Available" option on the product page so you will be notified when product quantities get updated.

https://cpwsa.com/3-gun-stuff/143-white-sound-defense-fossa-556.html

03-01-22, 18:11
I have a in-the-white (stainless, I think) prototype I can send you for shipping costs. Shoot me a PM if you want it.

***I am not affiliated with White Sound Defense in any way… they made a prototype for me a few years back to be used as a silencer mount for a can they were considering supporting, at my request, and it didn’t fit. I was not charged for it, and they did not want it back. I offered to pay, but they declined.

Wow
03-01-22, 18:24
I have a in-the-white (stainless, I think) prototype I can send you for shipping costs. Shoot me a PM if you want it.

***I am not affiliated with White Sound Defense in any way… they made a prototype for me a few years back to be used as a silencer mount for a can they were considering supporting, at my request, and it didn’t fit. I was not charged for it, and they did not want it back. I offered to pay, but they declined.

PMing