PDA

View Full Version : Double feed cause and did I clear this correctly?

Devildawg2531
10-10-20, 10:12
I was doing a US Arms competition Thursday and in 1 stage my previously rock solid Daniel Defense with a few thousand rounds through it had a misfeed. I rack the charging handle to clear it and another round feeds in partially. I eject the magazine and both rounds are partially in chamber. I put my finger up the mag well and cleared both out. Obviously that stage was fckd but wondering if that was the best way to clear the jam? It was with M193 ammo and gen 3 Magpul magazine. The rifle is all factory DD. This was the first time I've seen this type of jam in years of Marines and shooting. Wondering what caused it and what's the best way to clear it. Thanks

TomMcC
10-10-20, 10:34
It's usually and extraction/ejections or a mag problem. I don't quite understand your description. Was there an empty and a live round in the upper at the same time or was it 2 live rounds?

ggammell
10-10-20, 11:40
It's usually and extraction/ejections or a mag problem. I don't quite understand your description. Was there an empty and a live round in the upper at the same time or was it 2 live rounds?

This. Two live rounds or empty case and live round would go a long way to diagnosing the cause.

Devildawg2531
10-10-20, 11:46
It was 2 live rounds both partially in chamber.. 1 above the other. Both maybe 1/4 in chamber.

ggammell
10-10-20, 11:47
Ok. Thanks.

Keep an eye on that magazine. That’s a true double feed and that is usually a magazine issue.

TomMcC
10-10-20, 12:14
Yesh, sounds like a mag feed lip issue...many rounds on that mag?

With 2 rounds floating around in the upper. I would lock the bolt back, rip the mag, clear the double feed from the mag well, insert a fresh mag and drop the bolt.

Dr. Bullseye
10-10-20, 13:00
Ok. Thanks.

Keep an eye on that magazine. That’s a true double feed and that is usually a magazine issue.

M*Carbo makes a stronger mag spring which they claim will fix 70% of feed problems. It fixed 100% of mine. I have them in all my 30 round mags.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ar-15-extra-power-mag-spring.aspx

I know this sounds like a moronic solution but believe me, it is worth its weight in gold.

Ron3
10-10-20, 13:29
M*Carbo makes a stronger mag spring which they claim will fix 70% of feed problems. It fixed 100% of mine. I have them in all my 30 round mags.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ar-15-extra-power-mag-spring.aspx

I know this sounds like a moronic solution but believe me, it is worth its weight in gold.

So Magpul mag springs are insufficient? Maybe his mag / spring is worn?

Serious question.

TomMcC
10-10-20, 13:37
A stronger spring might fix a fail to pickup failure, but I would think it would exacerbate a round popping out of the feed lips situation. I'm not sure that this a round popping issue, so it's just speculation.

jbjh
10-10-20, 14:13
The issue is that the 1st mis-fed round didn’t get cleared because it probably wasn’t chambered, meaning the extractor couldn’t do its job and left it behind. So when the OP racked the bolt back, he picked up a second round and it also got jammed in there.

OP, what ammo were you shooting?

Sent from 80ms in the future

Ron3
10-10-20, 14:32
The issue is that the 1st mis-fed round didn’t get cleared because it probably wasn’t chambered, meaning the extractor couldn’t do its job and left it behind. So when the OP racked the bolt back, he picked up a second round and it also got jammed in there.

He advised some type of M193.

TomMcC
10-10-20, 14:47

That sounds like the feed lips lost control of the round before it could get a least part of it moved into the chamber.

kirkland
10-10-20, 14:50
The question is, what happened when the first round misfed? It only turned into a double feed after an attempt to clear the first malfunction. Usually a tap rack will clear a malfunction, but in this case it made it worse.

jbjh
10-10-20, 15:07
That sounds like the feed lips lost control of the round before it could get a least part of it moved into the chamber.

Or the rifle short stroked, and didn’t get the bolt fully to the rear, but far enough to grab the round coming forward.

There was a thread about it in the last couple of weeks. IIRC it centered around the buffer being too heavy, and causing much the same issue. But in this case it is a factory gun.

Edit - here it is

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=11029&share_tid=225790&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Em4carbine%2Enet%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D225790&share_type=t&link_source=app

10-11-20, 09:25
The only advice I have is to skip all the bullshit and go straight to pull the mag, lock the bolt back, tickle the rounds out, reload.

Tap has only ever made a jam worse.

CoryCop25
10-12-20, 03:33
To clear a double feed:

1.) Lock the bolt to the rear.
2.) Keep muzzle up.
3.) Strip the magazine.
4.) Insert fingers into magwell to break anything loose.
5.) Release bolt with bolt catch (ping pong paddle)
6.) Insert magazine.
7.) Operate charging handle.
8.) Back in business!

LMT Shooter
10-12-20, 04:37

I agree with this.

It sounds as if the OP had a failure to chamber a round that may, or may not, have fed properly from the magazine. If the round did not fully chamber correctly, the extractor could not have had a grip on the rim of that round. The attempt to clear that round may have induced the double feed, because the first round wasn't extracted & ejected.

SteveL
10-12-20, 06:34
The question is, what happened when the first round misfed? It only turned into a double feed after an attempt to clear the first malfunction. Usually a tap rack will clear a malfunction, but in this case it made it worse.

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who picked up on this.

As far as clearing a double feed, what the OP ended up doing was essentially correct; remove the magazine and manually knock the stuck rounds out. However, this didn't start as a double feed. What we really need to know is the exact nature of the original malfunction.

mark5pt56
10-12-20, 07:10
That's called a SEAL Party. Get rid of the two offenders and take over.
OP, two live rounds, magazine, which appears to be what you had.
ID the mag, clean it and see if it occurs again, dedicate it as a trainer if desired.

If you have a bolt over ride and PROVIDED the partially feed round stayed in placed you worked the CH, unlikely the next round could be pushed from the mag as the first round usually forces it down slightly
If you had a fail to chamber/lock and you monkey f'ed the CH, you could cause what appears to be a DF.
Some users will cause these by loading and doing a press check, doing the same thing as above

It was 2 live rounds both partially in chamber.. 1 above the other. Both maybe 1/4 in chamber.

Teufelhunden71
10-12-20, 07:21
I'd also stretch the spring a little. This is one thing I was trained to do, and it does help a lot.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

AndyLate
10-12-20, 08:54
The only advice I have is to skip all the bullshit and go straight to pull the mag, lock the bolt back, tickle the rounds out, reload.

Tap has only ever made a jam worse.

We had SPORTS drilled into us, but it seems like the rare malfunctions I encounter require exactly what you said. Strong incentive to carry a secondary.

Andy

LMT Shooter
10-12-20, 11:30

I read an article by Kyle Lamb once where he gave very similar advice.

Dr. Bullseye
10-12-20, 21:07
So Magpul mag springs are insufficient? Maybe his mag / spring is worn?

Serious question.

Yes, I believe they are insufficient. It will cost less than $6.00 to find out.