PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Sig 229?

Vinh
11-30-08, 22:51
Been shooting 1911's exclusively for three years. Recently made an impulse purchase, a Sig 226 .22, so I could try out Sig's DA/SA trigger and because I've never owned a .22 pistol.

The double-action isn't as bad as I thought, and I've met three very proficient Sig shooters, so I know it's possible. I never thought I'd ever consider voluntarily handicapping myself with a DA/SA gun, but I've started thinking about a Sig 229 for potential carry.

I've read nearly every relevant thread on Sig Forum, but to me at least, it doesn't seem like most of the posters shoot much. I also tried searching here, but "sig" and "229" are too short.

Would appreciate any feedback on the Sig 229.

(Already proficient with my Glock, if I ever want to go that route.)

John_Wayne777
11-30-08, 23:44
The P229 is a good piece of hardware. It's a bit wide if you are looking for a concealment gun, (especially for a guy your size) but it's very comfortable to shoot and typically offers a long and reliable service life. The P229 was, I believe, designed as a .40, meaning it's overbuilt in the 9mm chambering....never a bad feature to have going for you.

A number of federal, state, and local LE agencies issue the P229 happily, including the Virginia State Police who seem to be quite pleased with their .357 sig P229's. Every P229 I've tried has been very accurate and pleasant to shoot. The all steel "sport" model P229 is particularly pleasant to shoot with hot .40 loads or .357 sig loads...it also feels like a boat anchor on the hip. The DA trigger was usually very good for a service gun and while the SA trigger wasn't going to compete with a tuned 1911 trigger, it was among the better SA triggers one would find on a production gun.

As a general purpose handgun, the P229 is a good option, in my opinion. As a concealed carry gun it's a tad "bulky" in the feel department. I don't have one handy that I can compare with other pistols as far as specs go.

The one note of caution I would sound is that all of the previous is based on Sig P229's as they were before Sig's new management team decided to start cutting corners. I don't have much experience or knowledge about post-management change Sigs on gunstore shelves.

Robb Jensen
12-01-08, 05:24
About a month ago I purchased on consignment (at my work) a N.I.B. 1992 SIG P229 in .40 (no rails back then).
It came with mostly dead night sights so I replaced them with a new set of Trijicons and a buddy gave me 3 spare mags. The two mags that came with the gun are before SIG made the 357SIG and are only marked .40, I do plan to get a genuine SIG 357SIG barrel for it as well.
I've upgraded some of it's parts and did a minor 'action job' on it. I replaced the long mainspring and hammer spur with the newer type and replaced the trigger bar spring with the new type with the loop in it. I also added Hogue rubber grip panels and the newer style takedown latch (the newer type doesn't scratch the frame).

I carry it in a Galco Royal Guard IWB and it's actually pretty comfortable with that holster.

Vinh,
You'll do fine with a SIG. When I go from one format to the next (2011/1911 to Glock, M&P, Beretta etc) I just do a little dryfire everyday and work on presentation. With a DA/SA gun I just start on the trigger much sooner, I'm actually in contact with the trigger before my support hand is on the gun. I do this at 1/4 to 1/2 speed every morning before putting it on for 5-10min and then right at the end do 10 full speed draws, the last five I don't pull the trigger.

subzero
12-01-08, 07:47
I haven't played with them a bunch, but I've found the Sigs to be far too bulky for my taste. To me, they make a Beretta 92 seem svelte and an M&P feel like a 1911.

I'm sure they can be shot well, but like many Euro handguns they seem (IMHO) designed with the ergonomics of shooting almost as an afterthought.

John Frazer
12-01-08, 19:57
I went from a Glock 17 to a Beretta 92G to a SIG P229.

I never found the DA/SA to be a problem, and I like the balance and recoil characteristics of a metal gun. To my mind, the SIG carries like the Glock (it's about the same size) and shoots like the Beretta.

For a holster, I recommend the Kramer IWB #3.

sigmundsauer
12-01-08, 20:17
I've been through a few P229s. In 9mm I prefer the P228, but my sole P229 in custody now is a 9mm. With the heavier slide, my P229 is well suited for a steady diet of +P fodder and is very durable. It is exceptionally accurate, and uber reliable. Some simply can't adapt to DA/SA but it's not as hard as many people make it out to be. For DA/SA trigger systems, SIG has the competition beat, followed closely by the newer HK P2000 and P30 offerings, IMO. The SIG decocker takes very little practice to acclimate to, and is very intuitive to use thereafter. IMO the SIG P220 series is the best DA/SA pistol platform available.

Tim

Savior 6
12-01-08, 23:30
For concealed carry you might want to think about a 228. It's a bit lighter than the 229 and the slide is a bit slimmer. If you don't mind a round reduction then the 225 is even better for concealment, bring a single stack. A version of the 228, designated the P6 are available on the market for under $400.00. Just make sure to do some "homework" on them.

John Frazer
12-02-08, 06:13
For concealed carry you might want to think about a 228. It's a bit lighter than the 229 and the slide is a bit slimmer. If you don't mind a round reduction then the 225 is even better for concealment, bring a single stack. A version of the 228, designated the P6 are available on the market for under $400.00. Just make sure to do some "homework" on them.

The P228 is a fine gun, but its external dimensions (except the thickness of the back of the slide) are identical to a P229:

http://www.sigforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4197

Since the grip is typically the part that makes a gun harder to conceal, it's worth mentioning that both the grip panels and the magazine are interchangeable between the two (assuming both are 9mm). Holsters are mostly interchangeable, too (except for the 229 with a rail).

The P229 is two ounces heavier. I believe that's because of the P229's one-piece slide.

Also, the P6 is an older version of the P225, not the P228: http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/sig-sauer_p225.htm (courtesy of a British SIG-aholic friend who used to live in Florida). Thought I should mention this so no one rushes out and buys a P6 and gets irritated when he sees the skinny little magazine! :)

I handled a P6 recently that appeared to be a European police trade-in, and have to admit that the trigger was nicer than a more recent factory P229. Not nice enough to give up a third of my ammo for, but enough to regret selling a P225 that I owned briefly a decade ago.

SPECTRE
12-02-08, 20:13
I have four SIGs and I really like them but what keeps me from using them as a primary CCW is that no matter what I try I can't keep my right thumb from holding the slide release lever down while shooting which keeps the slide from locking back when empty.
Other than that, great guns.
I have a 229R in .40 and it's my favorite of the bunch.

John Frazer
12-02-08, 20:25
I have four SIGs and I really like them but what keeps me from using them as a primary CCW is that no matter what I try I can't keep my right thumb from holding the slide release lever down while shooting which keeps the slide from locking back when empty.

Funny, I had that problem with the Glock, and especially with the Beretta. Came close to grinding a bit off the slide lock lever of the Beretta before I decided I wanted a slightly shorter gun anyway.

Molon
12-02-08, 20:34
I own a few P229s and have found them to be one of the most reliable out of the box pistols I've owned. One of my 9mm P229s has over 10,000 documented rounds through it without a single malfunction.

The grip fits my hand well, the trigger smooths out very nicely after a little usage and the pistol is very easy to completely disassemble for detailed cleanings. A very nice feature of SIG pistols is that you can buy multiple front and rear sights of various heights so that you can sight your pistol to actually hit the exact spot you are aiming at. Here's some chronograph data from a 9mm P229.

Chronograph Data for 9mm Luger LE Loads

As we all know, the muzzle velocities that ammunition manufacturers advertise for their ammunition and the muzzle velocities that we actually obtain from our CCW or duty weapons are rarely the same. Most often the velocities from our carry weapons will be lower than that advertised by the manufacturers.

It’s not that the manufacturers are trying to deceive us. It’s just that they tend to use “test barrels” to obtain their velocity readings. These test barrels usually have minimum spec SAAMI chambers and tend to be slightly longer the barrels typically found in carry weapons. These factors combine to give higher velocities than those from a typical carry weapon.

For this test session I examined fifteen different 9mm Luger “LE” loads from three different manufacturers, in three different pressure ranges (standard, +P, +P+) in four different bullet weights. The SAAMI specification for the maximum average pressure for a standard 9mm Luger load is 35,000 PSI. The 9mm Luger +P (pronounced plus-P, indicating higher pressure) load is specified at 38,500 PSI. To my knowledge, there is no SAAMI spec for +P+ loads. Interestingly, the CIP (European standard) specification for the maximum average pressure of the 9mm Luger is 39,200 PSI.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/8063k1twkc.jpg

Four of the different bullet designs that were examined in this session:

Federal HST
Federal Hydra-Shok
Winchester Ranger-T
Speer Gold Dot

http://www.box.net/shared/static/1dpv7nm8s8.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/t228tu7lwk.jpg

All of the loads examined for this session come loaded in nickel-plated brass cases as exemplified by the Winchester Ranger-T round shown below. (Note the alien pod-like appearance of the round. One can’t help but wonder if the engineers at Winchester were subconsciously influenced by a certain science fiction movie.)

http://www.box.net/shared/static/dbqcds4kkg.jpg

In the Speer Gold Dot design, you can clearly see the petals of the copper jacket that extend over the mouth of the hollow point and down into the cavity of the hollow point. The Gold Dot design also leaves some of the lead core exposed at the mouth of the hollow point. The Gold Dot also utilizes a bonded jacket/lead core construction.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/rg44cjokkg.jpg

The petals of the copper jacket in the Winchester Ranger-T bullet also extend down into the mouth of the hollow point, but have a tear-drop shape to them. As previously noted, the rim of the hollow-point on the Ranger-T is a series of semi-circular ridges.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/nkk7jo8mcs.jpg

The Federal HST bullet has the most unique design of the bullets examined in this session. Note how the lead core at the mouth of the hollow point has water-drop shaped cut-outs. Also note the very long skives in the copper jacket that extend almost to the case mouth and the very deeply notched shape of the skives.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/7d6fea2zo8.jpg

The signature center “post” of Federal’s older design Hydra-Shok bullet can be seen below.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/815lb4bs48.jpg

Chronographing was conducted using an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen” technology. All velocities listed are muzzle velocities as calculated from the instrumental velocities using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software program. All strings of fire consisted of 10 rounds each.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/y7uim9eww4.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/v15vhylcgc.jpg

I chose a 9mm SIG Sauer P229 with its traditionally rifled barrel as the test vehicle as a representation of a pistol that might be carried on duty or as a CCW piece. The barrel on the 9mm P229 is 3.8” long. The factory barrel used for testing had 200 rounds through it prior to the beginning of this test session.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ru5fnnocgw.jpg

Atmospheric conditions were recorded on a Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker.

Temperature: 72 degrees F
Humidity: 26.8%
Barometric pressure: 30.03 inHg
Elevation: 950 feet above sea level

http://www.box.net/shared/static/e1quayj8k4.jpg

The data.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/1xbc4b808k.jpg

sigmundsauer
12-02-08, 20:47
Excellent post, Molon. And superb work. I am a junky for chrono data. After all that's what bullets are supposed to do - go fast!

Many of your results are very close to what I've achieved in my SIG P229. I've never found Federal ammunition to achieve very good velocities in SIGs in particular. Their +P and +P+ loadings are sometimes indistinguishable from other manufacturers' standard velocity loadings.

The P229 is an exceptionally good pistol, and an ultra-durable 9mm.

Tim

HighSpeedDreams
12-02-08, 21:01
Agree with everyone on the bulk. Other than that, really love mine in .40.

Savior 6
12-04-08, 15:49
Also, the P6 is an older version of the P225, not the P228:

Thanks for the correction on my type-o

The front of the slide is the part that goes in the holster which I have found is more comfortable against the body than the 229. And yes the 228 and 229(9mm) have similar same frames.

Savior 6
12-04-08, 15:49
similar/same

kornbread402
12-04-08, 18:29
I've carried a 229 40 cal da/sa on duty for 7 years now. I have put over a thousand rounds through it with maybe 2 or 3 malfunctions in that time. To keep it short. Very well made gun, very reliable and accurate. That said it is very thick and heavy with one long and heavy trigger pull on the first double action. I like my glock backup better but I have no hesitation in placing my life with my sig.

Spooky130
12-04-08, 21:06
A good friend really likes the P229 as compared to the HK P2000 he carries now. Do the folks in the Air Marshall program use the P229s?

Spooky

John Frazer
12-04-08, 21:39
The front of the slide is the part that goes in the holster which I have found is more comfortable against the body than the 229.

Are you talking about the bottom of the frame on a 229 w/ rail? That's the only difference I can see on the SIG picture thread. I have no personal experience with any rail model, though.

ToddG
12-05-08, 04:42
Vinh -- The P229 can be shot pretty well in my experience. :cool:

As you've learned immediately, the whole DA/SA thing is a boogeyman. It has its advantages and disadvantages like any other system. The trigger pull on most SIGs smooths out noticeably after about 2,000 pulls (live or dry). If you cannot get a comfortable and proper contact to the trigger, get a short trigger. Personally, a short trigger makes a huge difference for me.

While I know some people prefer the slightly lower weight and marginally thinner profile of the P228, if you shoot a lot the P229 is a much more durable and low maintenance option.

QC issues have certainly gone up over the past few years, but while the odds of getting a lemon are higher than they used to, the odds are still in your favor. Be sure to get a gun with the newest takedown lever that is both welded and pinned in place. For a while their new sub-vendor was doing only one or the other with results ranging from the annoying to the disastrous.

Some other things to look for include verifying the HD pin (the little roll pin that keeps the front leg of the sear spring under tension) doesn't wobble around and won't move under gentle thumb pressure, that there are no burs on the front bottom edge of the ejection port, that the firing pin positioning pin (the pin that goes through the slide) doesn't move under hand pressure, and (after you've put a few hundred rounds through the gun) that neither the top of the barrel nor the hammer is deforming where the slide strikes it in recoil.

Savior 6
12-05-08, 13:40
John Frazer, I was referring to 288 and 229, non-rail or pre-rail, versions.

While I know some people prefer the slightly lower weight and marginally thinner profile of the P228, if you shoot a lot the P229 is a much more durable and low maintenance option.

Very good point on the P229. The 229 has a one piece integral design as oppossed to the 228. And as sigmundsauer stated earlier, "...are well suited for a +p diet."

ToddG
12-06-08, 00:04
FWIW, one big agency I deal with used to issue P228's using +p+ ammo, and durability was a constant problem for them. They're now using P229's in 357 SIG and the guns are lasting longer with fewer wear-related problems.

noops
12-18-08, 17:24
Vinh,

I recently moved to the P229. they have a new model that's not on they're website that you might look at. It's the Generation 2 P229SAS model. It's got the factory plastic grips, DA/SA Short Reset Trigger, Siglites, and no rail. Basically a back to basics 229 with an SRT. It's working OK so far for me (9mm). I did switch out the grips to the Hogue aluminum grips which give it a smaller grip circumference.

N

billybronco
12-18-08, 17:36
I bought one of the Equinox models in .40 S&W a coupla years ago.

thing is smooth as butter.

one of the more accurate guns I've ever shot.

the tru glo sights are pretty slick...especially the fiber optic front blade.....i don't see them lasting under combat conditions though.

the thing is chunky as hell and feels like a brick.

hoveyh
12-18-08, 18:55
I have had a 229 for a long time. I have about 6000+ rounds thru mine. Utterly reliable with any ammo you can find to put in it. Slide finish wear easily but Eh ..... The German made 229 mags are works of art with the dovetailing on the rear of the body.

I am a 1911 guy and can transition to the grip very well and just have to manage the trigger. Yes a little fat. Beautifully made.

H

shadowalker
12-18-08, 19:10
I've carried one in 40 S&W for the past 3.5 years and like it a lot, it is very comfortable in my hand especially with Hogue grips (non wraparound).

It has been 100% reliable through 7000 rounds or so. I've replaced magazine springs and the recoil spring a few times. I've shot FP, JHP, and RN ranging from 155 to 180 grain, to me recoil is about the same as my wife's SC XD9.

I'm 6'1, 190 pounds and have no problem concealing it OWB with a belt slide or pancake holster and an untucked polo shirt.

Throughout the summer I carried it IWB on 5+ mile runs and it was very comfortable.

It has some pretty good finish wear but I've had no problems with rust.

JonInWA
12-19-08, 10:14
While I haven't shot mine a lot, I like it. I have a 2006 P229 DAK, one that SIG-Sauer put out as a non-catalogued special edition several years ago to their principal dealers; it has the non-railed/rounded triggerguard receiver, Siglite nightsights, and both .357 SIG and .40 barrels (sights are set up primarily for the .357 SIG, with front and rear sights being "8".

It took mine about 300 rounds (with the .357 SIG) barrel to break in-the .40 was flawless from the start (hard Sellier & Bellot primers in the .357 SIG ammunition I was using may well have been a factor there).

I like the DAK action quite a bit.

Best, Jon

sigmundsauer
12-19-08, 12:06
While I haven't shot mine a lot, I like it. I have a 2006 P229 DAK, one that SIG-Sauer put out as a non-catalogued special edition several years ago to their principal dealers; it has the non-railed/rounded triggerguard receiver, Siglite nightsights, and both .357 SIG and .40 barrels (sights are set up primarily for the .357 SIG, with front and rear sights being "8".

It took mine about 300 rounds (with the .357 SIG) barrel to break in-the .40 was flawless from the start (hard Sellier & Bellot primers in the .357 SIG ammunition I was using may well have been a fator there).

I like the DAK action quite a bit.

Best, Jon

In my opinion, DAKs don't have a strong ignition system and struggle on hard primers, more commonly seen in NATO spec ammo (9mm).

Tim

JonInWA
12-19-08, 14:22
That may be true, Tim; in my case, I discussed it at some length with both SIG's Customer Service and with a friend of mine who's a senior gunsmith at SIG. Ultimately, we mutually decided that the best thing to do was to take the gun through a 300-500 round break-in regimen, and see if the ignition problems went away (which they did, at around the 300-round count point).

Possibly contributing to the initial ignition issues (in addition to the hard Sellier & Bellot primers-which was probably the biggest problem in and of itself) is that my P229 DAK was early enough to have the "lighter" 6.5 lb DAK triggerpull, and just that the gun needed a break-in period for the parts to take a meld to each other, and for everything to cycle smoothly and efficiently (which is the purpose of the break-in period, come to think of it).

The problems did not occur with the .40 barrel (for the .40 break-in, I used Winchester White Box Value Pack ball Range/Target ammunition).

Subsequently to the break-in period, the gun runs flawlessly in both calibers, including with Sellier & Bellot ammunition. I'm confident enough with the gun to keep it as it is; I have no desire to go to the heavier springing (and I suspect that other similar problems with the original springing would have gone away after a similar break-in, but SIG-Sauer's market perception is that the P-Series guns are good to go right out of the box, so I suspect that for that (and for potential liability issues) SIG chose to quickly go with the heavier springing (which after break-in is probably unnecessary).

Best, Jon

sigmundsauer
12-19-08, 15:07
I've owned many SIGs and all of them have digested every type of ammo I can feed them, regardless of primer type or break in period. The DAKs were the only ones I've shot that have struggled on NATO spec primers. S&B are known for hard primers, but they don't seem to give my DA/SA SIGs any problem at all. The fact that I can press check a DAK pistol considerably easier than a DA/SA SIG and that the hammer has less mass is reason enough for me to conclude that they simply don't have the oomph that the DA/SA guns have. Whatever advantages the DAK system has are completely null and void if it does not provide reliable ignition, imo. I've dumped all of my DAKs.

Tim

gtmtnbiker98
12-20-08, 19:06
I've owned many SIGs and all of them have digested every type of ammo I can feed them, regardless of primer type or break in period. The DAKs were the only ones I've shot that have struggled on NATO spec primers. S&B are known for hard primers, but they don't seem to give my DA/SA SIGs any problem at all. The fact that I can press check a DAK pistol considerably easier than a DA/SA SIG and that the hammer has less mass is reason enough for me to conclude that they simply don't have the oomph that the DA/SA guns have. Whatever advantages the DAK system has are completely null and void if it does not provide reliable ignition, imo. I've dumped all of my DAKs.

Tim

Wouldn't this also be a potential cause of the light primer strikes plaguing the P250?

ToddG
12-20-08, 23:11
Wouldn't this also be a potential cause of the light primer strikes plaguing the P250?

The P250 has a completely different (and completely new & innovative) action that is contained within the metal skeleton of the gun. In order to get the trigger pull lower to meet US customer expectations, the tiny springs that propel the hammer had to be lightened. The result has been lph problems.

If SIG is going to solve the problem, they're either going to have to (a) increase the trigger pull or (b) redesign the action so it is partially cocked internally by the slide movement in recoil.

Stan_TheGunNut
12-21-08, 09:21
I have a Sig P229 in 357 Sig that I bought about 10 years ago. I don't shoot it as much as I used to, but it's still one of my favorite pistols. It fits my hand better than any of the others and has proven 100% reliable with all types of ammo. I'd buy another based on my experience with this one.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-21-08, 10:53
I had a couple of SIG 229s in the late nineties early naughties. I shot a LOT of Lawman and Gold-dot .357 SIG through mine and then started reloading. Before I traded mine off (because I am silly) I had 8-10k through it. My impression was that it was a really fine weapon. It was accurate and reliable. At the time I was a little leery of Glock triggers (they seem a good deal less safe) so I tolerated the DA/SA. In my old age, I have gotten where I just shoot my Glock, squeeze cocking and cocked and locked guns. I just don't have the patience for DA/SA anymore. Still, the SIGs strike me as great guns. They have won the hearts of too many important groups for them to be anything less than excellent.

Robert Jordan
12-21-08, 23:52
If you have big hands, consider a 226 instead. I routinely pinch my dominant hand during reloads due to the short grip. In the heat of the moment, I cannot reliably force myself to loosen my grip enough to avoid earning a few blood blisters.:( I, however, do not have this problem with the midsized Glocks (19,23). Depending on your body type and holster selection, you may find that you are able to conceal the 226 almost as well. Just something to think about…………………

Vinh
12-26-08, 00:54
http://www.rawbrilliance.com/images/sig_p229/sig_p229.jpg

So I bought the 229 a few weeks ago. Only 360 rounds so far. I’ve been dry firing like crazy, concentrating solely on the double-action pull, stopping only when my trigger finger is sore (from the trigger snapping against the frame) or my hand cramps up. In the short amount of time I’ve had this pistol, I’ve dry fired it more than all of my other pistols combined.

What’s surprising is just how poorly all of that dry fire translated live. It’s been disappointing and discouraging. Still, I almost see it as somewhat of a challenge since I’ve seen Todd and Simon shoot Sigs so well and I hope to someday shoot as well as they do. I realize the “SIMP” phenomenon may be at work since I’ve been trying out new platforms recently.

Also, I’m a bit baffled by the ergonomics of the 229. The sharp crease on the grip seems as though they wanted to prevent a high grip, as it hits bone and causes discomfort. I’m thinking about taking a dremel to it. Or am I supposed to swing my thumb out really wide? I already know to avoid the slide stop lever.

http://www.rawbrilliance.com/images/sig_p229/sig_p229_grip.jpg

One last thing, I must admit to not paying complete attention to TDA-specific instruction given in classes I’ve taken as I never thought I would buy a TDA gun. Anyways, is the general consensus to have your thumb on the hammer when holstering to feel for obstruction?

Robb Jensen
12-26-08, 08:42
Vinh I sand down that spot a little too or I use Hogue rubber panel grips (not the wrap arounds).

ToddG
12-26-08, 14:22
Vinh - congrats, dude. You'll be fine.

Give more specifics about what exactly you are doing in dry fire practice and what exactly you are seeing on the range.

Definitely keep your thumb on the hammer as you holster. If you do it properly, it is essentially impossible to AD while holstering this way and it also verifies that you remembered to decock.

MC988
01-05-09, 21:09
P-229 with 40K rounds through it, one broken extractor at 32K. Great gun, but I prefer the 239 for concealed. Same mechanics, slightly smaller and single stack.

scrawnym4
01-15-09, 06:02
I have owned and carried daily a 229 for years. The only complaint I have ever had is that it is a bit bulky for concealed carry, however I still do it. I carry mine in a Galco concealed carry and it is pretty comfortable. As far as malfunctions, I have yet to have even one and have easily put several thousand rounds thru it.

Jack_Stroker
01-15-09, 14:24
I've never cared for the feel of a SIG P229. I like the P226 well enough. Not to buy one at full price, but I wouldn't turn down a good deal on one.

Marcus L.
01-24-09, 10:10
Back in 2001 I was issued a 1992 P229 in .40S&W. The Trijicons were worn out, the finish was heavily worn down on the frame and slide, and the pistol appeared to have been fired a LOT. I contacted the armorer and he said that the pistol had probably seen a good 50k rounds through it in training at FLETC and he had replaced all the springs for me before it came to me. So, I was kinda skeptical of how the pistol was going to perform. First day out on the range the P229 ran flawlessly and was a tack driver. I was pleasently surprised. Since then I have been issued a different P229 in .40 and it has also performed quite well. I thought so highly of it that I bought a P229 .40 for my personal use. I have Hogue Wrap Around grips on all of my Sigs. As with any weapon system, it is important to get adequate practice time in to really master it. Even the most awkward of weapons can be highly effective in trained hands. I'm amazed at what some of the old officers could do with their revolvers on combat courses of fire with their overall speed of reloads and follow-up shots. Repetition is the mother of skill.

On duty or in training I've used the P228 9mm, P226 9mm, P239 .40/9mm, and P220 in .45acp quite extensively. If you want a CCW I would go with the P239 as it conceals MUCH better overall. Given all my options I still prefer to use the P229 on duty and the P239 9mm off duty/CCW.

Vinh,
I would get some Hogue grips for your P229. It allows for a better high ride thumbs forward grip. Single handed, Sigs simply don't work when it comes to pointing your thumb forward and riding high. For me, I shoot Sigs single handed with a revolver grip and I have no trouble in a timed course of fire with strong hand or weak hand. You can have a high thumb ride single handed with a P220 or P239 as the single stacked magazines allow for a much more slender grip design. As far as having your thumb on the hammer when reholstering, the Federal system doesn't teach it. After decock and reholstering the threat is considered to be over unless you are going hands on with a suspect which should only be occuring if another officer is covering the suspect. If the situation was such that weapons were draw, you went into SA, and you had to decock your pistol, you better have backup with you before you start handling your suspect.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-26-09, 17:47
I had one in .357 for years in the 00-02 period. Great gun. Very accurate and totally reliable. A bit of a tank though.

MMG
01-26-09, 18:53
My only 229 is a .40 cal. It's an older model without the rail. Feels a little top heavy, even compared to a 226/9 with a stainless slide but .40 vs 9 might be the difference more than the overall length. I've put several thousand rounds down range and it has gone bang every time I've pulled the trigger. It is a very nice handgun. All of my SiGs have proved to be as or more accurate than I am. I'd be considering an 229 SAS II but got bit by the EBR disease just in time:rolleyes:

noops
01-27-09, 11:57
Vinh: I didn't like the "shoulder" on the left side of the grips either. Switching to the hogue aluminum grips fixed that problem for me. They also supposedly have some G10 grips of the same specs coming out soon.

automan
01-27-09, 12:12
No matter how you cut it, a 229 for CCW isn't as slim as a 1911 or HP.

ToddG
01-27-09, 12:16

No matter how you cut it, tens of thousands of people of all shapes and sizes successfully conceal a P229 every day wearing everything from business suits to shorts & t-shirts.

JonInWA
01-27-09, 13:05
And I find it slghtly more convenient when carrying my P229 to only have to carry one spare magazine, as opposed to the two I feel compelled to carry when using my 1911s to achieve the same total cartridge load-out.

Best, Jon

MMG
01-27-09, 19:25

But a Sig P220 is. However, the OP was asking about the P229.

Bigun
01-28-09, 14:52
I bought a SAS DAK in .40 S&W last year and have about 1500 rds through it without any problems. It carries nice in a Desantis Cozy Partner. I only bought it because my agency is starting to transition from the Beretta 92D to the 229R DAK and being a firearms instructor I didnt want to be behind the learning curve. positives - Accurate, reliable, Smoth.
Negatives, the grip is too short for my gorilla mits and because of the slide stop issue reported earlier I had to modify my grip to avoid deactivating the slide stop. For whatever stupid reason it only has a front night sight, something I am going to rectify one of these days. Overall I'm pleased and carry it off duty about 50%of the time, the rest it's usually either my personal 92D or my Springer Loaded 1911.

teufeldog
01-28-09, 17:33
I just fondled a P229R a few hours ago. It felt freakin' awesome! I am not in the market to buy another pistol (other than one for my wife) but now I cannot stop thinking about this P229. :rolleyes: It is a sickness, I know.

woodandsteel
01-28-09, 17:54
But a Sig P220 is. However, the OP was asking about the P229.

I believe the 220 and the 229 have the same size in regards to width. According to the sig site they are both 1.5 inches in width.

As far as concealment, I guess it all depends on what kind of holster and belt you use and how well you dress.

I never fired a 229. But I did have the chance to shoot a couple of mags thru a 228 before. I love the sig 228. It has a smooth trigger. But, I have been carrying a Glock for the past 15 years. Too much time on the Glock trigger ruined me for a DA/SA trigger pull.

MMG
01-28-09, 20:09
I believe the 220 and the 229 have the same size in regards to width. According to the sig site they are both 1.5 inches in width.

As far as concealment, I guess it all depends on what kind of holster and belt you use and how well you dress.

I never fired a 229. But I did have the chance to shoot a couple of mags thru a 228 before. I love the sig 228. It has a smooth trigger. But, I have been carrying a Glock for the past 15 years. Too much time on the Glock trigger ruined me for a DA/SA trigger pull.

I have all three (and several more). The 220 is a little narrower than the 229 in the slide (both being stainless slides), which is the widest point. Of course the 220 is a single stack while the 229 is a double stack so the 220 grip is longer from the backstrap to the trigger while the 229 is wider instead. I'm with you on the 228 (all have carbon steel slides). Nothing fits my hand better than the 226 but the 228 comes closest.

woodandsteel
01-29-09, 08:54
I have all three (and several more). The 220 is a little narrower than the 229 in the slide (both being stainless slides), which is the widest point. Of course the 220 is a single stack while the 229 is a double stack so the 220 grip is longer from the backstrap to the trigger while the 229 is wider instead. I'm with you on the 228 (all have carbon steel slides). Nothing fits my hand better than the 226 but the 228 comes closest.

Doh! You are correct, sir. My apologies.

I really need to remembemer what Mark Twain said about being quiet and letting people assume your an idiot rather than opening your mouth and removing all doubt, before I post. :D