PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best trigger gauge ?

Pappabear
10-10-20, 12:22
My RCBS took a crap. What is the trigger gauge to get these days?

TomMcC
10-10-20, 12:35
I've seen Lyman used quite a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7832248-Electronic-Digital-Trigger/dp/B07PTR37W1

gunnerblue
10-10-20, 12:40
I use a Timney. It repeatedly matches manufacturer's specs as to weight.

m1a_scoutguy
10-10-20, 13:42
I've seen Lyman used quite a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7832248-Electronic-Digital-Trigger/dp/B07PTR37W1

I have the Lyman also and seems pretty decent. I have had it a couple years, still on the same crap China batteries, LOL but I always take them out when not using it. Midway also has Free Shipping on totals over $49,so the good is free shipping, bad is ya have to buy more stuff,,,LOL.

DG23
10-10-20, 20:38
My RCBS took a crap. What is the trigger gauge to get these days?

Contact RCBS and most likely they will send you a replacement.

Curious as to how you broke yours...

DG23
10-11-20, 10:22
I use a Timney. It repeatedly matches manufacturer's specs as to weight.

A better way to confirm pull weights are reading correctly is to actually pull (lift) known weights (like using check weights on a scale).

Even better if you can test your scale over a wide range of weights. One that is dead on at around 4lbs might not be so 'accurate' around 8 or more... You never know until you check for yourself.

maximus83
10-11-20, 13:44
Lyman. You can set it to take an average of several pulls, which gives me a far more realistic reading.

bamashooter
10-12-20, 08:51
I like my Lyman digital and mechanical Timney. Appreciate and use the averaging feature of the Lyman.

lysander
10-13-20, 09:37
http://www.guntalk-online.com/images/trigger_pull_weight.jpg

Pappabear
10-18-20, 19:06
I went with Lymans and really like it.

DG23, good idea.

PB

T2C
10-18-20, 21:32
I agree with Lysander. You can get inaccurate readings if you don't release pressure as soon as the trigger breaks when using a standard trigger pull gauge. Use a certified weight like the one depicted in his photo or a verifiable source of weight that does not require consistent pull by the user.

I currently use a home made rod that transfers energy from a water bucket to the trigger. Once the trigger breaks, the rod and bucket filled with water gets weighed. This technique is much more consistent than using the RCBS and Lyman trigger pull gauges I gave away.

lysander
10-20-20, 10:08
I agree with Lysander. You can get inaccurate readings if you don't release pressure as soon as the trigger breaks when using a standard trigger pull gauge. Use a certified weight like the one depicted in his photo or a verifiable source of weight that does not require consistent pull by the user.

I currently use a home made rod that transfers energy from a water bucket to the trigger. Once the trigger breaks, the rod and bucket filled with water gets weighed. This technique is much more consistent than using the RCBS and Lyman trigger pull gauges I gave away.

You can also do it with a string and a bucket.

Then weight he bucket, water and string with a fish scale.