PDA

View Full Version : South Korean K9 howitzer" German vs local engines

Slater
10-11-20, 17:10
Thought this was curious. South Korea is a pretty industrialized nation with substantial electronics, shipbuilding, and automotive industries. Is it really that much of a stretch for them to design and manufacture a diesel engine? Wouldn't think that would be exactly cutting-edge technology in 2020. Then they can sell it to countries that aren't very nice.

"On Sept. 15, the Defense Acquisition Program Administration, or DAPA, signed a memorandum of understanding with the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy to locally develop the engine for the K9 Thunder self-propelled howitzer.

“If we develop an engine for the K9 on our own, it will help pave the way for self-reliant national defense and contribute to increasing the exports of the artillery as well,” DAPA Commissioner Wang Jung-hong said in a news release.

The agency said it will invest about $65 million over the next five years to develop a 1,000-horespower diesel engine to replace the German MTU 881 Ka-500 water-cooled diesel engine, which currently powers the K9 howitzer."

https://www.defensenews.com/global/asia-pacific/2020/10/08/south-korea-to-replace-german-howitzer-engine-with-homemade-motor/

Coal Dragger
10-11-20, 18:11
Armored vehicle power packs are a bit more engineering intensive than you might think. South Korea has a bunch of Diesel engine manufacturers, I’m sure one will be able to figure it out.

Allen
10-11-20, 18:39
Then they can sell it to countries that aren't very nice.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/asia-pacific/2020/10/08/south-korea-to-replace-german-howitzer-engine-with-homemade-motor/

South Korea hates Best Korea, the PRC, the Russians and just about everyone else equally. During Viet Nam the only time my dad felt safe where when the ROC Marines were on base. Drank a bit too much.

https://www.spf.org/iina/en/articles/ito_02.html#:~:text=The%20National%20Assembly%20of%20the,7.4%25%20from%20the%20previous%20year.

Slater
10-11-20, 20:00
Germany is evidently roadblocking a potential sale of the K9 to Saudi Arabia (and possibly other countries in the region), because of the German engine. I'm sure Saudi could shop around and find an equivalent system.

Averageman
10-11-20, 20:21
Armored vehicle power packs are a bit more engineering intensive than you might think. South Korea has a bunch of Diesel engine manufacturers, I’m sure one will be able to figure it out.

We are running Strykers on fairly conventional Caterpillar Engines here.
Things being as they are, I would imagine they could come up with a domestic copy of a C-7 or better.

Coal Dragger
10-11-20, 21:57
Gotta make 1000hp, and fit in the packaging space. I’ll bet the transmission is integrated and the whole thing can be pulled in 30 minutes, at least that’s how most modern MBT power packs are configured.

A striker isn’t a tracked vehicle, so it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

mack7.62
10-12-20, 08:57
"Nevertheless, the export of the K9 has been impeded by a German arms embargo on some Middle East countries, including Saudi Arabia."

So Germany has no problem doing business with Iran but Saudi is a no no?

sundance435
10-12-20, 14:39
Gotta make 1000hp, and fit in the packaging space. I’ll bet the transmission is integrated and the whole thing can be pulled in 30 minutes, at least that’s how most modern MBT power packs are configured.

A striker isn’t a tracked vehicle, so it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

My limited understanding of this engine issue, which happens to other industrially advanced countries like India, as well, is that at least with diesels it indeed comes down to the transmission and trying to couple everything to complex systems. There's far more technical expertise needed than just building a 1,000hp diesel engine to a specific size/shape, which just about any country could do.

German government and businesses are so hypocritical that they're not even capable of realizing it until someone else calls them on it. Business, business, business.