PDA

View Full Version : C&R ffl question

Arik
10-13-20, 12:32
This doesn't really fit anywhere else. Hopefully someone will know or point me in the right direction.

If I sell a C&R long gun to a out of state C&R FFL holder can that person drive to me from another state to pick up the long gun?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Artos
10-13-20, 12:39
Sure...your acquisition / disposition would be the same as if it were mailed.

Arik
10-13-20, 13:13
Ok. This is why I never deal with GB

How about this.

1) I'm in PA. He is stationed in NYS but is a VA resident. The address on his C&R is in NYS. Can I ship to him in NYS?

2) can I still have him drive down to pick up?

Or does everything have to go to VA?

The rifle is a Mosin so there's nothing illegal about the firearm in NYS

Artos
10-13-20, 13:32
You would 'only' ship to the address on the FFL or meet in person...ATF is concerned about traceability so if you feel he's legit, ship to the FFL address or meet as the A&D doesn't make a distinction.

Did he give a reason why the two states?? I would think almost all C&R holders would be using their residential address.

Arik
10-13-20, 13:34
You would 'only' ship to the address on the FFL or meet in person...ATF is concerned about traceability so if you feel he's legit, ship to the FFL address or meet as the A&D doesn't make a distinction.

Did he give a reason why the two states?? I would think almost all C&R holders would be using their residential address.Stationed at West Point. Sent me a link to his bio on West Point website. I'm not saying he's making it up but this is the internet and CYA

SteyrAUG
10-13-20, 13:55
Ok. This is why I never deal with GB

How about this.

1) I'm in PA. He is stationed in NYS but is a VA resident. The address on his C&R is in NYS. Can I ship to him in NYS?

2) can I still have him drive down to pick up?

Or does everything have to go to VA?

The rifle is a Mosin so there's nothing illegal about the firearm in NYS

You can only ship to the address on his C&R, you can only deliver in person to the address on his C&R. His residency means nothing, the C&R is in NYS.

Meeting in person I think you can deliver to him, I know I can pick up in person with my FFL in any other state. I'm pretty sure you cannot ship anything to VA or any other place other than the C&R licensed address.

sundance435
10-13-20, 14:09
Long story short - if you are not delivering it to him in person, face to face, it can only be shipped/delivered (as in left at the location) to the address on his C&R. If you're delivering it to him in person, face to face, you can do it anywhere in the country according to federal law, but I wouldn't presume to know what NY's laws are regarding transfer. It might violate NY state law, especially since it's a non-resident presumably on military orders (no idea whether a distinction is made for short-term or long).

scottryan
10-16-20, 11:12
This doesn't really fit anywhere else. Hopefully someone will know or point me in the right direction.

If I sell a C&R long gun to a out of state C&R FFL holder can that person drive to me from another state to pick up the long gun?

You need to ship it to the address on the FFL and let him deal with the rest. By doing that, you fulfilled your legal obligation.

His residency mismatch is his problem.

Shit like this is why I never meet anyone face to face for these type of transactions. His C&R address should be his permanent personal address in VA. Not where he is temporarily stationed in the military.

Furthermore, stuff like this is also why I don't like selling stuff to people in the military stationed away from home. This is unfortunate because I have to turn down sales from people who are probably good people, but they can't explain their residency situation to me correctly.