PDA

View Full Version : New AR15A3 Build - pics

VAPatriot1791
10-13-20, 18:26
I know there are a lot of gucci AR lovers who relish hating on value-priced builds, but I just put this A3 clone 20" HBAR rifle together for $600 and it shoots VERY accurately with just the iron sights even with Russian steel cased ammo. PSA A2 lower, Del-Ton barreled upper, spare DPMS A3 carry handle/sight. The trigger is stock and is ok - not super light, but light enough and crisp and consistent. Better than your average mil-spec trigger. The target is 75 yards; the high flyer was my fault. Just off of a front bag rest. Always wanted a "classic" AR 20" rifle; keeping this one as is. So much fun to shoot. The HBAR barrel is definitely noticeably heavier than my 16" carbines, but it keeps the sights steady and heated up soooo much slower.
https://i.imgur.com/gwlp6UJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lA0vLdy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HazxVXa.jpg

me2hootyhoo
10-13-20, 18:57
Nice. I dig it, and want one myself.

vicious_cb
10-13-20, 19:30
I know there are a lot of gucci AR lovers who relish hating on value-priced builds,

Great way to introduce yourself to the forum with your first post.

VAPatriot1791
10-13-20, 19:41
Great way to introduce yourself to the forum with your first post.

Well, not really my first post - used to be a site member but got out of the internet forum thing for a while. I wasn't trying to be presumptive, but you're point is understood, however I've seen a fair amount of posts by people knocking economical yet good quality components without much real reason or experience... so my comment was based off of prior experiences I suppose. Anyway...

M1911A1Hawkeyes
10-13-20, 21:06
Great looking rifle.

RUTGERS95
10-13-20, 21:08
I know there are a lot of gucci AR lovers who relish hating on value-priced builds, but I just put this A3 clone 20" HBAR rifle together for $600 and it shoots VERY accurately with just the iron sights even with Russian steel cased ammo. PSA A2 lower, Del-Ton barreled upper, spare DPMS A3 carry handle/sight. The trigger is stock and is ok - not super light, but light enough and crisp and consistent. Better than your average mil-spec trigger. The target is 75 yards; the high flyer was my fault. Just off of a front bag rest. Always wanted a "classic" AR 20" rifle; keeping this one as is. So much fun to shoot. The HBAR barrel is definitely noticeably heavier than my 16" carbines, but it keeps the sights steady and heated up soooo much slower.
https://i.imgur.com/gwlp6UJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lA0vLdy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HazxVXa.jpg

love it!!!!!

AndyLate
10-13-20, 22:01
I carried an A2 for the better part of my 20 year career, so I love it. You shoot irons a lot better than I!

What do you think of the Del-Ton barrel? Is it chrome lined 1/7?

I'm going to have an A2 upper with a bad barrel as soon as I finish it's replacement.

Andy

VAPatriot1791
10-13-20, 22:19
I carried an A2 for the better part of my 20 year career, so I love it. You shoot irons a lot better than I!

What do you think of the Del-Ton barrel? Is it chrome lined 1/7?

I'm going to have an A2 upper with a bad barrel as soon as I finish it's replacement.

Andy

The Del-Ton barreled upper is a 1/9 twist which is fine for me; I typically only shoot out to 100 yards, and most of my ammo is 55 - 62 gr stuff which is perfect for 1/9. It isn't chrome lined, but I'm fine with that too; chrome lining doesn't really matter with my volume of shooting and the chrome-moly steel is accurate.

bamashooter
10-14-20, 07:23
Nice gun. I like it. I appreciate your attitude though I knew someone would quickly be offended by it; which I like as well.

JLP
10-14-20, 07:37
I like it. Nice and simple!

DG23
10-14-20, 22:59
Better than your average mil-spec trigger. The target is 75 yards; the high flyer was my fault. Just off of a front bag rest. Always wanted a "classic" AR 20" rifle; keeping this one as is. So much fun to shoot. The HBAR barrel is definitely noticeably heavier than my 16" carbines, but...

My google-fu is weak and I had trouble looking up the weight for 20" Hbar barrels. Not taking mine apart just to weight the barrel... My 16" bull barrels clock in at about 3lbs on the money (barrel and extension only).

The Del-Ton barreled upper is a 1/9 twist which is fine for me; I typically only shoot out to 100 yards, and most of my ammo is 55 - 62 gr stuff which is perfect for 1/9. It isn't chrome lined, but I'm fine with that too; chrome lining doesn't really matter with my volume of shooting and the chrome-moly steel is accurate.

My 20" Colt Hbar is a 1/9" twist. My 6721 (the Colt 16" 'carbine length' Hbar) - is a 1/9" twist. Majority of my 16" bull barrels are 1/9" twist...

You nailed it as well about the chrome lining and how it relates to accuracy.

DG23
10-14-20, 23:02
double tap...

MontanaMarine
10-14-20, 23:22
Nice. I like it.

AndyLate
10-15-20, 07:37
My google-fu is weak and I had trouble looking up the weight for 20" Hbar barrels. Not taking mine apart just to weight the barrel... My 16" bull barrels clock in at about 3lbs on the money (barrel and extension only).

My 20" Colt Hbar is a 1/9" twist. My 6721 (the Colt 16" 'carbine length' Hbar) - is a 1/9" twist. Majority of my 16" bull barrels are 1/9" twist...

You nailed it as well about the chrome lining and how it relates to accuracy.

Criterion says 2.85 lbs/45 Oz for a bare 20" HBAR barrel. I have seen 54 Oz thrown around, that may be with FSB, barrel nut, slip ring, FH, and sling swivel. Give or take a pound heavier than an A2 profile 20"

I asked about chrome lining, twist and the barrel in general because Del-ton is not discussed much here and I am curious.

The 1/9 would be fine for the vast majority of the shooting I do.

I disagree that chrome lining would have a significant affect on accuracy in the price range of OP's barrel, but the only advantage for me on an A2 type build would be corrosion resistance anyway.

I like OP's build and would love to shoot an open sight HBAR again, even knowing OP would out shoot me.

Andy

Renegade04
10-15-20, 07:42
Nice build. I will say that it is more akin to an A4 configuration with the exception of the 1/9 HBAR.

Here are mine.

https://i.imgur.com/ggoqI1s.jpg

Stickman
10-15-20, 12:38
people knocking economical yet good quality components without much real reason or experience...

I recall plenty of people responding to crap components at "economical prices", but if you are happy with your results it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you can find good parts cheap, that is fantastic.

I don't care what people think about my weapons, or the components I use. If there was a need to explain what I used and why I used certain parts, I would happily do it. If that means it was cheap stuff for pictures, or expensive stuff for safe queens, it shouldn't matter to anyone else. I have an Olympic Arms carbine that runs fantastic, I think I spent $160 bucks on it total.

Stickman
10-15-20, 12:38
Nice build. I will say that it is more akin to an A4 configuration with the exception of the 1/9 HBAR.

Here are mine.

You are a sexy bitch!!

10-15-20, 18:20
Nice build.

What makes you want to call it an A3?

An A3 was a 20” full auto, some were converted A2s, some were A4s.

MontanaMarine
10-15-20, 18:37
I'll throw in some support here.

A DIY Frankenbuild. DPMS 1/9 HBar barrel. PSA stripped lower. PSA Premium BCG. PSA carry handle. AR-Stoner lower parts kit. AR Stoner upper. MagPul furniture.

Shoots great.

https://i.imgur.com/tqEvVO5.jpg

JLP
10-15-20, 21:57

Here are mine.

Love them!! Reminds me of the 80/90's in the Army! Although I carried a f-ing 60.... 22 pounds of PIG misery.

AndyLate
10-16-20, 08:40
Love them!! Reminds me of the 80/90's in the Army! Although I carried a f-ing 60.... 22 pounds of PIG misery.

I went from an A1 to A2, M203, then a M249. I was glad to get back to an A2, felt like a feather lol. Then they put me in charge of the MK-19 :(

A1 in Desert Storm, A2 in Bosnia (which I immediately turned in and drew an M9 that I could conceal) and a brand spanking new FN A2 in OIF with a 3 point sling and M68 on a gooseneck mount. Good times...

Andy

DG23
10-16-20, 21:11
I disagree that chrome lining would have a significant affect on accuracy in the price range of OP's barrel, but the only advantage for me on an A2 type build would be corrosion resistance anyway.

I was not trying to say that the chrome would make it more accurate - Was saying the opposite.

Delton is GTG in my opinion... Bought one for one of my sons and it has served him flawlessly thus far with very little effort on his part.

AndyLate
10-17-20, 09:04
I was not trying to say that the chrome would make it more accurate - Was saying the opposite.

Delton is GTG in my opinion... Bought one for one of my sons and it has served him flawlessly thus far with very little effort on his part.

I understood your point. I was simply commenting that there would be no practical difference in accuracy for barrels in that price range.

I appreciate seeing Delton discussed here.

Andy

DG23
10-17-20, 21:17
I understood your point. I was simply commenting that there would be no practical difference in accuracy for barrels in that price range.

I appreciate seeing Delton discussed here.

Andy

Why not?

AndyLate
10-17-20, 23:17
Why not?

I would expect any $150(ish) barrel to reliably be a 1.5-3 MOA shooter, regardless of steel used or chrome lining. In my opinion, you have to pay a good bit more to see the accuracy difference between chrome lined and bare steel barrels.

I would think a Stainless Rainier Match SPR barrel should outshoot a Criterion Chrome Lined HBAR barrel, both .223 Wylde (for the sake of argument). I also believe it would require very good ammo, glass, and shooter to capitalize on the difference.

Andy

indianalex01
11-10-20, 10:31
I'll throw in some support here.

A DIY Frankenbuild. DPMS 1/9 HBar barrel. PSA stripped lower. PSA Premium BCG. PSA carry handle. AR-Stoner lower parts kit. AR Stoner upper. MagPul furniture.

Shoots great.

https://i.imgur.com/tqEvVO5.jpg

That’s an ugly one. Ugly is in though

indianalex01
11-10-20, 10:36

Delton is lower tier. Spend a little more and get something good. Colt, BCM. Even PSA premium line. You can always find people to help justify your purchase. If you are happy with it then that ok but “good enough” isnt.

indianalex01
11-10-20, 10:39
I would expect any $150(ish) barrel to reliably be a 1.5-3 MOA shooter, regardless of steel used or chrome lining. In my opinion, you have to pay a good bit more to see the accuracy difference between chrome lined and bare steel barrels.

I would think a Stainless Rainier Match SPR barrel should outshoot a Criterion Chrome Lined HBAR barrel, both .223 Wylde (for the sake of argument). I also believe it would require very good ammo, glass, and shooter to capitalize on the difference.

Andy

FN SPR rifle uses chrome lined barrels. They shoot 1/2 inch. Chrome if done right is great. Many have been BS’d into thinking chromelined means no accuracy. Not true.

Gatorshark
11-10-20, 18:43
Nice build. I'm going back to an A2 on next build.