PDA

View Full Version : Damn You Internet...Damn You To Hell...

SteyrAUG
10-15-20, 05:02
So I popped over to Discogs (EB for records but better prices) to grab one, maybe two albums that had been stuck in my head all week. Great place to find still "near mint" copies of your favorite music from 30+ years ago for like $3 an LP.

But that was 5 hours ago and went down some major rabbit holes. Even worse I think I spent almost $300 and that was with cross referencing so I buy as many as I can from the same seller and save on shipping.

But at least now I have the Beatles Red and Blue compliation albums and everything Zepplin up through In Through the Out Door. And a shitload of new wave and early rap.

CrowCommand
10-15-20, 05:41
Vinyl will do that to you....it's worth it.

Chameleox
10-15-20, 06:00
I fail to see how this is a problem.
Music is important.

flenna
10-15-20, 06:10
I regret getting rid of my vinyl years ago. When I left home I told my Mom she could just sell them all. I had the complete Led Zeppelin album collection, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, ZZ Top, The Cars, etc... And they were all in mint condition as I would buy them and then record them onto cassette and then shelve the vinyl.

Bulletdog
10-15-20, 06:36
New wave and early rap? Now you are speaking my language! So much good music form back then. So much Kraftwerk sampling in the early rap. Good stuff man.

Have you discovered "Dark Wave" on Serious channel 33 on Sunday nights? I've been reminded of so many 80's favorites there. Slicing up eyeballs!

Other than the Zeppelin and Beatles, what did you get?

Sam
10-15-20, 06:45
But at least now I have the Beatles Red and Blue compliation albums . .

I have the original Red and Blue albums since high school. I think I've worn the grooves off :) At first we had some cheap (it was a give away) Panasonic record player, then later my father could afford to buy a console record/8 track player from K Mart. It wasn't until toward the end of my college years before we could afford a real record player and amp system from Pioneer. It was our first record player with the strobe speed adjustment. Oh how great it was to hear the songs in regular speed.

Slater
10-15-20, 06:49
New Wave...heck yeah. Blondie, The Cars, Gary Numan, The Police, Lene Lovich, etc. That era had it goin' on.

Vegas
10-15-20, 12:37
I tend to stay off Discogs as I end up in the same spot. I’ve always been a sucker for Japanese releases. The vinyl is usually excellently pressed and condition is usually very good. If you are buying CD’s, they always seem to have interesting bonus tracks.

rero360
10-15-20, 12:51
Never got into vinyl but growing up my dad had a small collection and we had a player that had a broken motor and didn't have speakers for but I remember my first exposure to Black Sabbath was spinning the Paranoid album by hand and listening to it through headphones. I did the same with a few other of his albums, Peter Frampton, Peter Gabriel, and the Grateful Dead. To this day I've never purchased a song or album electronically, I have to have the physical copy. That presents a bit of an issue as my current computer doesn't have a disc reader in it so when I get a new CD, most recently it was Metallica's S&M 2, I have to break out my old laptop, burn the songs onto my iTunes on that and then transfer them to my phone.

SteyrAUG
10-15-20, 15:01
New wave and early rap? Now you are speaking my language! So much good music form back then. So much Kraftwerk sampling in the early rap. Good stuff man.

Have you discovered "Dark Wave" on Serious channel 33 on Sunday nights? I've been reminded of so many 80's favorites there. Slicing up eyeballs!

Other than the Zeppelin and Beatles, what did you get?

Filled in some gaps in my collection. Stereo Crew, the German language version of Trans Europa Express, doubled up on some of my 12" singles Quadrant Six - Body Mechanic, LL Cool J - I Need A Beat (purple press), Freestyle - It's Automatic, Davy DMX - One For The Treble, Schoolly D - Gucci Time and damn near every Thomas Dolby, Missing Persons, Cars, The Clash, Human League, Gary Numan, Split Enz, Thomas Petty, Queen, etc. LP from 77-84 that I could find in VG or better for $3 or close enough.

I do that thing where you put a good deal in the cart and then go through the rest of their inventory seeing what you want to stack the order big since additional records usually ship for .50 and if you order enough free shipping. I got a LOT of free shipping last night.

SteyrAUG
10-15-20, 15:04
I have the original Red and Blue albums since high school. I think I've worn the grooves off :) At first we had some cheap (it was a give away) Panasonic record player, then later my father could afford to buy a console record/8 track player from K Mart. It wasn't until toward the end of my college years before we could afford a real record player and amp system from Pioneer. It was our first record player with the strobe speed adjustment. Oh how great it was to hear the songs in regular speed.

I got serious in high school and by 84 I was a DJ. It was all Technics and Numark.

https://i.imgur.com/arkC15e.jpg

Buckaroo
10-15-20, 23:15
I regret getting rid of my vinyl years ago. When I left home I told my Mom she could just sell them all. I had the complete Led Zeppelin album collection, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, ZZ Top, The Cars, etc... And they were all in mint condition as I would buy them and then record them onto cassette and then shelve the vinyl.The Cars OMG my band in so many ways!
I don't meet many who appreciate them as much as I do!
When the music of your youth becomes "elevator music" you really feel old!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-16-20, 01:13
This is what happens when there isn't ammo to buy...

kirkland
10-16-20, 01:31
I got serious in high school and by 84 I was a DJ. It was all Technics and Numark.

Now that picture is a thing of beauty. Nice record collection, turntables, and bolt action rifles!

Sam
10-16-20, 10:12

Records, ammo and rifles :) It don't git no better.

I remember Technics too.

SteyrAUG
10-16-20, 17:24
This is what happens when there isn't ammo to buy...

Ya know, there is a LOT of merit in that comment.

And now I have almost the entire ELO discography.