PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite Halloween Movies?

titsonritz
10-15-20, 18:28
Typically, I'll prefer heavy psychological thrillers over the slasher horror type but everything is fair game.

What are your favorite scary movies?

BoringGuy45
10-15-20, 18:36
I like the supernatural/demonic horror movies that keep you in constant anxiety. The Conjuring was really good, as was Insidious (although the demon that looked like Darth Maul was laughable). The Exorcism of Emily Rose was pretty scary too.

Inkslinger
10-15-20, 18:43
For Halloween, I love the classics. Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, etc...I also play a lot of the great ones from the 70’s & 80’s “Halloween, The Friday the 13th’s, Carrie, The Shining, and Cujo etc. I do like real scary and suspenseful movies, but for Halloween I just want to feel like a kid watching Saturday monster matinees and going to hayrides and haunted houses.

flenna
10-15-20, 19:40
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, cartoon edition with Bing Crosby narrating.

OH58D
10-15-20, 19:55
Of course the original "Halloween" in 1978 by John Carpenter. Speaking of John Carpenter, his 1998 flick "Vampires" was filmed here in New Mexico. I know people who were crew on that film.

Korgs130
10-15-20, 20:20
Of course the original "Halloween" in 1978 by John Carpenter. Speaking of John Carpenter, his 1998 flick "Vampires" was filmed here in New Mexico. I know people who were crew on that film.

The original “Halloween” is far and away my favorite scary movie. I enjoyed the Rob Zombie remake as well. The original “Dawn of the Dead” is also at the top of my list.

MistWolf
10-15-20, 20:25
The Haunting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sog3etUwtSk

The only movie to ever give me goosebumps

VARIABLE9
10-15-20, 20:32
The Crazies (the remake, with Timothy Olyphant)
The Thing (the remake with Kurt Russell)
Forty Days of Night

titsonritz
10-15-20, 20:40
The original “Halloween” is far and away my favorite scary movie. I enjoyed the Rob Zombie remake as well. The original “Dawn of the Dead” is also at the top of my list.

Two of my favorites, I was impressed with RZ version and was real happy he didn't destroy it, the back story was cool. I just watch "Dawn of the Dead" a couple days ago. The old original "Night of the Living Dead" terrified the holy shit out of me when I was a kid.

titsonritz
10-15-20, 20:41
For Halloween, I love the classics. Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, etc...I also play a lot of the great ones from the 70’s & 80’s “Halloween, The Friday the 13th’s, Carrie, The Shining, and Cujo etc. I do like real scary and suspenseful movies, but for Halloween I just want to feel like a kid watching Saturday monster matinees and going to hayrides and haunted houses.

I'm with you on the old classics, too. Another fun one is "Silver Bullet".

titsonritz
10-15-20, 20:45
I like the supernatural/demonic horror movies that keep you in constant anxiety. The Conjuring was really good, as was Insidious (although the demon that looked like Darth Maul was laughable). The Exorcism of Emily Rose was pretty scary too.

I've never seen "Insidious", is the whole series worth watching or is it best to stick with the first one?

joeyjoe
10-15-20, 21:16
-The Witch
-The Endless
-The Exorcist
-The Conjuring
-Halloween
-The Omen

SteyrAUG
10-15-20, 21:32
Old universal horror films from the 30s and 40s followed by Hammer remakes from the 50s to the 70s.

Then campy sci fi from the 50s followed by Japanese monster films.

SteyrAUG
10-15-20, 21:33

You want to see the Autopsy of Jane Doe.

BoringGuy45
10-15-20, 21:46
I've never seen "Insidious", is the whole series worth watching or is it best to stick with the first one?

I'd see the first two. They were meant to be a two part series and they're both pretty good; plus the ending of the first one is the lead in to the second one. The first movie is the scariest, however, it becomes less disturbing after you see the second movie. The first Insidious had a lot of things happen that were left unexplained, and the reason behind these events are revealed in the second movie. I'm not sure I like that, because once you know, it's less creepy when you watch it again. Nonetheless, I'd recommend it for a good Halloween movie.

Lights Out is another good one.

BoringGuy45
10-15-20, 21:49
You want to see the Autopsy of Jane Doe.

I just read the description of it. That looks up my alley!

titsonritz
10-15-20, 22:49
I'd see the first two. They were meant to be a two part series and they're both pretty good; plus the ending of the first one is the lead in to the second one. The first movie is the scariest, however, it becomes less disturbing after you see the second movie. The first Insidious had a lot of things happen that were left unexplained, and the reason behind these events are revealed in the second movie. I'm not sure I like that, because once you know, it's less creepy when you watch it again. Nonetheless, I'd recommend it for a good Halloween movie.

Lights Out is another good one.

Right on, thanks for the info.

SteyrAUG
10-15-20, 23:05
I just read the description of it. That looks up my alley!

Based upon your criteria, I think you'll like it. It's also one of those films that makes you figure it out and gives you clues one time and one time only. Kinda refreshing, I hate those movies that explain everything eight times at a 6th grade level just to make sure everyone gets it.

Ed L.
10-16-20, 02:30
Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow

Atmospheric B&W films City of the Dead Released in America as Horror Hotel: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053719/, and Curse Of The Demon https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050766/.

odugrad
10-16-20, 12:00
The Disney cartoon of Ichabod is a Halloween tradition for the kids and me. I've always found Trick r Treat to be kind of fun. And the Conjuring series is great.

Averageman
10-16-20, 14:00
I love the old originals from the 30's and 40's. Frankenstein with Karloff and Dracula with Lugosi.
There were a few more I've enjoyed along the way, I've always enjoyed a good psychological/mythological thriller over a slasher film.
Young Frankenstein
Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein
Night of the Living Dead. Hell even the first couple of seasons of The Walking Dead were okay. Dawn of the Dead.
The Thing, original and remakes.
40 days of night.
The Crazies.
Psycho by Hitchcock.

jmp45
10-16-20, 14:18
The Haunting

The only movie to ever give me goosebumps

One of my favorites. Saw it as a kid in the dark on a b/w tv.. The door flexing in scared the crap out of me. About the same as From Hell It Came.

Haxan 1922 is demonically creepy enough..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXlXc0lA9c

titsonritz
10-16-20, 18:43
Haxan 1922 is demonically creepy enough..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXlXc0lA9c

I've got this one coming.

jmp45
10-16-20, 19:12
I've got this one coming.

I'd not let the youngsters see it, some bad juju.

Simon of the Desert 1965 is worth a view if you can find it.

titsonritz
10-16-20, 19:31
I'd not let the youngsters see it, some bad juju.

No worries there, my youngsters are 25 and above. I still go Trick-Or-Treat with them but probably not this year.

jmp45
10-16-20, 19:52
Cool.. I'm betting trick or treating will not be big this year.

Firefly
10-19-20, 02:12
Night of the Creeps.

Honestly the quintessential Halloween film. You can watch horror any time you like but NOTC is that perfect pastiche.

Halloween is a given but kinda BTDT at this point.

But NOTC is pure awesometown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvEiUBS-_rc

Firefly
10-19-20, 02:23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pmiYiDZ3ec

I love this scene because Dick Miller can’t catch a break whenever he works the counter