PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a Dillon Trimmer with a Giraud

Submariner
10-17-20, 14:34
Has anyone here replaced a Dillon trimmer with a Giraud? What didn't you like about the Dillon? Did the Giraud make up for the Dillon's faults? Any regrets about making the change? Would you do it again?

andre3k
10-17-20, 15:16
I have both and use my Dillon trimmer more. I like the RT1500 with a 1050 to crank out processed brass quickly. I tend to use the Giraud for smaller batches where I don't mind handling each piece of brass. There's no way I would give up the Dillon Trimmer for a Giraud simply based on pure volume of brass that I can process. If you're reloading precision ammo then the Giraud might be a better choice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
10-19-20, 22:44
Not much out there can beat an RT1500 on a well adjusted size/trim die. Especially on a progressive press with a case feeder, and enough tool head space to do all the steps for prepped brass.

If a guy is doing small batches just use a manual case trimming lathe and prep tools. If you need to do volume RT1500 is the answer.

mack7.62
10-20-20, 08:49
I prefer the Giraud because it champers and you can trim after removing case lube.

markm
10-21-20, 08:47
If you need to do volume RT1500 is the answer.

I've never tried the Dillon system. But with my wet tumblers doing about 125-150 pieces at a crack, I just trim in those batch sized with the giraud.

The thing I like about that process (as well a mack's point about post lube removed trimming), is that you can also sort by head stamp (if you wish to) when trimming.

I don't like to sort, but some brass flavors are simply different in weight. I just set up 2 or 3 trays and split off the brass after trimming. I then use the less desireable brass for blaster type ammo.