PDA

View Full Version : IWB holster rec. for Glock 19...?

Blinking Dog
12-01-08, 11:12
I just bought a Glock 19 (for the fun of it) and am interested in an IWB holster recommendation for it. (My typical carry gun is a full size 1911 with a Milt Sparks VM2 IWB holster) I do not have a weapon light for the Glock, and don't want a retention device. I don't think I need something as big as a VM2 type leather holster for the Glock since it is so much lighter (and smaller) than my 1911.

I'd like to buy once if possible, so I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks in advance.

John_Wayne777
12-01-08, 11:27
Raven Concealment. I love mine.

Jay Cunningham
12-01-08, 11:27
I like the Raven Concealment Phantom configured for IWB with the soft loops.

BobM
12-01-08, 11:46
I use a Sparks SS-II for my 19 when I carry it IWB. You can sometimes get them from Brownells without the usual Sparks wait time.
I've also got a lot of use from a Raven IWB for my M&P and like it a lot as well.

RSS1911
12-01-08, 11:49
When I carry my G19 IWB, it's in a Versa Max II. I haven't found anything that's even half as comfortable and stable.

Keebsley
12-01-08, 11:54
Two words: Raven Concealment. I just got their Light Compatible Phantom holsters for my Glock 19 with TLR-1 and my Comp-Tac's don't even compare. Holds close to the body and even only wearing a light t-shirt over, people couldn't tell I was carrying. I have the over the belt clips instead of the loops. They didn't secure as tightly as I wanted them to and one would draw the holster out when I drew so a little heating and now it stays secure. Can't say enough good things about Raven Concealment. They are the heat.

joe138
12-01-08, 14:04
Raven concealment, I have replaced almost all of my off duty holsters with products from Raven. Check out Malabar Front to order.

Jay870
12-01-08, 15:32
Milt Sparks SSII is my favorite IWB so far. I also have an MTAC, and while I gave it a fair shake as my EDC for a number of months, I now only wear it when I need something tuckable.

Maybe the Phantom owners can address this... but one thing I really dislike about most Kydex IWB holsters (MTAC included) is "trigger guard retention". I get a much smoother draw stroke from holsters that use "friction" retention based on a tight fit along the length of the slide than those that rely largely upon a trigger guard indentation. I don't know which method the Phantom uses.

givo08
12-01-08, 15:42
The three holsters mentioned here are in my opinion the best available:

1. Comptac MTAC -- Very comfortable, quick turn delivery time (under 2 weeks), easily adjustable for whatever cant is most comfortable and concealable for you, and fairly inexpensive ($80).
2. Raven -- Less comfortable in my opinion than the MTAC because it's a hard piece of kydex against you. I do not have one for a G19 but have tried them for other guns. Conceals extremely well though, and very modular. Can do multiple different methods of mounting IWB (leather loops, clips, etc). I think this one wins in concealability.
3. Milt Sparks VM-2 -- Probably the most comfortable and popular of leather holsters. I would suggest ordering one regardless of what else you get. They are $105 and take 6 months to get. I'd also order one of the above to get you by until you receive the VM2. If for some reason you like the Raven or MTAC better than the VM-2, then you can sell it for at least 50% more than you bought it for.

M4arc
12-01-08, 15:52
I highly recommend a Custom Carry Concepts Looper (http://www.shop.customcarryconcepts.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10).

Simple, comfortable and you can request Rich make it in an appendix configuration if you see fit.

welshrabbit
12-01-08, 16:02
I had a lot of trouble finding a quality holster. I personally would recommend Leather Arsenal's products. I ordered the Double Deep Cover Concealment and it is the best holster I have found. It was well worth the wait and cost less than a Galco.

doughnut
12-01-08, 16:48
Another vote for Raven Concealment's Phantom. I've been carrying my G19 in one with tuckable IWB clips for almost a year now. I previously used a Comp-Tac CTAC and the Raven is much more comfortable.

Blinking Dog
12-01-08, 16:57
Thanks for the input.

I have a VMII for my 1911 and really like it. I'm a small guy and my 5" 1911 is heavy and yanks on my pants, so I need the VMII to hold the gun in place. But, that holster is a bit big for me. For example, I wear my 1911 in the VMII in the ~ 3:30 position, and the VMII is so wide it pulls out against my waistband. Or in other words, it is wider than the side of my body. So for the Glock I'm looking for something a bit smaller, and less "wide"...if that's the right word.

jsebens
12-01-08, 17:15
Peters Custom Holsters has always treated me pretty well. Good guy.

M4arc
12-01-08, 17:20
Thanks for the input.

I have a VMII for my 1911 and really like it. I'm a small guy and my 5" 1911 is heavy and yanks on my pants, so I need the VMII to hold the gun in place. But, that holster is a bit big for me. For example, I wear my 1911 in the VMII in the ~ 3:30 position, and the VMII is so wide it pulls out against my waistband. Or in other words, it is wider than the side of my body. So for the Glock I'm looking for something a bit smaller, and less "wide"...if that's the right word.

That sounds like a belt issue to me. What belt are you using? I am a little guy too and I had no problem carrying a full size 1911 in a VMII with a Wilderness 5 Stitch belt.

John Frazer
12-01-08, 19:58
Kramer IWB #3.

chrismartin
12-01-08, 21:02
CompTAC MTAC all day, every day (possible anyway :) )
I love it. I used to carry my HK USPc .45 in it. I ordered a new kydex body for my G19 for $35 and now carry that instead. I got the Slide version and it will fit the Glock 17/19/22/23/34/35/etc. (everything except the 36, 21/20, 30/29)

I've carried it on long car trips, all day long, working on the house, car, etc. It's been great. I use the V-Clips (velcro) with a good velcro lined belt (beltman)

Robb Jensen
12-01-08, 21:06
I carry mine in a Galco Royal Guard.

Added pics and I use the optional black belt loops. Mag pouch is a DeSantis.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/galco%20leather/galcoholstersG19.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/galco%20leather/galcoholstersG19two.jpg

skipper49
12-01-08, 21:08
I've used several different Blade-Tech holsters (IWB) for several years w/o complaint.
Simple, small, and thin. While I like them with my Kahr P-40, they shine even more for me with my Glocks as they add virtually no thickness to a carry package, and even the thinnest Glock (G-36) is not all that slim.
JMHO

Skip

Vic303
12-01-08, 22:11
Comp-Tac MTAC all the way! Very comfortable, and love the interchangeable shells.

tjcoker
12-01-08, 22:14
Raven Phantom if 3:30. Raven ACR or MS SSII if Appendix is how I carry my G19.

Blinking Dog
12-02-08, 15:05
I use a Sparks SS-II for my 19 when I carry it IWB. You can sometimes get them from Brownells without the usual Sparks wait time.
I've also got a lot of use from a Raven IWB for my M&P and like it a lot as well.

I'm thinking either the SS-II or the Raven...which one is the lighter of the two?

John_Wayne777
12-02-08, 18:44
The Raven is a really light holster. I don't know the exact weight, but without a gun in it you wouldn't even feel it.

654Boomer
12-02-08, 19:04
Greetings Blinking Dog,

When I carry my G19 IWB, it's in a Versa Max II. I haven't found anything that's even half as comfortable and stable.

I fully agree with RS2 . . .

gringop
12-02-08, 20:01
I use Sparks Executive Companions pretty much exclusively. I have a VM2 for my Procarry but only use it when I need a tuckable, which is not much.

I use the Exec Comp for full sized 1911s, the Procarry, G19, S+W M+P and my BHP. The guns sit a bit lower behind the belt and more of the grip is available for the draw because there are no ears on the holster.

I don't have either but the Kramers and Ravens are highly recomended by people I have trained under. When these Sparks holsters die, I will try a Raven.

Gringop

1_click_off
12-02-08, 21:06
Can't get much simpler, lighter and minamal holster than a crossbreed. This is what I carry my 45 with. I got the horse hide with living in the south and needing a better barrier from sweat and my gun...... www.crossbreedholsters.com 2week try it free offer + lifetime guarantee

Alpha Sierra
12-02-08, 21:27
I'd like to add K&D Holsters (http://www.kdholsters.com) to the list.

Here's some IWBs (Cochise Defenders) for a S&W 915, M&P, and 65

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/MPCochiseDefender.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/P1010022.jpg

Blinking Dog
12-09-08, 13:23
Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

I'm going to try out the Raven Concealment Phantom. Question for those who have bought one: I went to The Malabar Front to order, but I can't tell if the holster comes with loops or clips...The photo looks like just a holster "unit" without anything to secure it to your belt. Is that just the photo? Or do you actually have to order 2 things to get an IWB holster?

Thanks

BobM
12-09-08, 20:01
Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

I'm going to try out the Raven Concealment Phantom. Question for those who have bought one: I went to The Malabar Front to order, but I can't tell if the holster comes with loops or clips...The photo looks like just a holster "unit" without anything to secure it to your belt. Is that just the photo? Or do you actually have to order 2 things to get an IWB holster?

Thanks

If I recall correctly, it comes with belt loops, nominally 1 1/2" but mine fit my 1 3/4" Wilderness belts. The IWB loops must be purchased separately.

Alpha Sierra
12-09-08, 21:13
If I recall correctly, it comes with belt loops, nominally 1 1/2" but mine fit my 1 3/4" Wilderness belts. The IWB loops must be purchased separately.

Your recall is correct. :D

Blinking Dog
12-09-08, 21:37
Thanks. I was thinking it looked like a pretty reasonable price for the holster...but then I got to looking at the picture and realized it looked like just a platform, no loops. Anyway, I think I'll still order one.

Alpha Sierra
12-10-08, 05:09
Thanks. I was thinking it looked like a pretty reasonable price for the holster...but then I got to looking at the picture and realized it looked like just a platform, no loops. Anyway, I think I'll still order one.

Just so you're clear, if you order a Raven Phantom, you will get a modular holster with OWB loops. The loops are formed from kydex and are screwed on to the holster on the back side of it (the side that faces your body). You can also order additional hardware to make it into an IWB holster with three or four different attachment modes and you have also other OWB attachment options.

So the holster is usable right out of the box as an OWB pancacke.

rob_s
12-10-08, 06:10
I bought a Raven with the rubber IWB loops for a Glock 19. At first I attached both loops to the topmost hole on each side. I HATED the way the holster fit/rode. I cannot stress enough how uncomfortable, aggravating, annoying, and generally useless the holster was to me with the loops attached in this way.

However, I looked closer at what the problem was, and saw that there was another grommet just below the topmost grommet. I moved the rear loop down to this second grommet, giving the holster more of a cant, and now find it almost (almost, not quite) as comfortable as a fullsize 1911 in a VMII.

I post this to point out that if you receive the holster and dislike it at first, try playing around with the location of the loops in the grommets and you may find that it goes from intolerable to comfortable with a simple change in setup.

ETA:
Just to be clear, I moved the loop from the grommet location at the blue line, down to the grommet at the red line.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/RavenPhantom.jpg

ducati
12-10-08, 09:48
Cross Breed Holsters with the combat grip is my favorite.

Alpha Sierra
12-10-08, 19:15
There are a lot of leather holster makers that produce outstanding holsters.

Some seem like unknowns until you see their wait list. Kevin Manley (K&D Holsters) is one such guy. His workmanship is superb, his prices reasonable, but you have to wait for your stuff. In the end, it is well worth it. His IWB holsters are superbly comfortable.

blackscot
12-11-08, 13:48
If you like minimal (as do I), it's hard to beat the ultrathin kydex IWB by FIST. Comes with a variety of belt-loop options, adjustable cant, etc.

They're not pretty, but they work. Are also affordable.

Get it sized and set-up right, and you'll forget it's even there.

kbrdann
12-11-08, 20:52
Milt Sparks enough said.:D