PDA

View Full Version : The new GMC HUMMER

Scrubber3
10-21-20, 13:48
https://youtu.be/MjMhZKmHKGk

This thing is absolutely nuts. It can crab walk.. what i really like is the 0-60 3 second ability and its completely EV.

I know it's going to cost a much as a house, but dang. I plan to follow this until it's full release. Has anyone got any more news on it?

jbjh
10-21-20, 13:54
It will be nuts if it shows up like that. The vehicle in the video is a VFX/CGI rendering. You’re not seeing a real car driving.

That said, I hope they pull it off. It’ll be super cool.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Det-Sog
10-21-20, 14:35
100% electric... It's a toy mall crawler.

I mean a $100,000 toy mall crawler. No practical use, but it would be fun to have if you are rich.

GH41
10-21-20, 15:15
It will be nuts if it shows up like that. The vehicle in the video is a VFX/CGI rendering. You’re not seeing a real car driving.

That said, I hope they pull it off. It’ll be super cool.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Modern way of saying smoke and mirrors.

ndmiller
10-21-20, 15:59
sold out already.

Allen
10-21-20, 16:04
Starting at $112K, only 40% more for 30% less range, but sure, let's have a photo of our truck on Mars in the press renders, sorry "photos".

This thing has as much of a chance of getting into production as the SLS does launching.

Sam
10-21-20, 16:24

I mean a $100,000 toy mall crawler. No practical use, but it would be fun to have if you are rich.

Buy this man a drink !

Renegade
10-21-20, 16:46
Penis extender.

turnburglar
10-21-20, 16:59
This thing has as much of a chance of getting into production as the SLS does launching.

Did we just become best friends?

flenna
10-21-20, 17:26

This. If it runs out of charge in the backcountry then what? Open the solar panels and wait a year?

turnburglar
10-21-20, 17:45
This. If it runs out of charge in the backcountry then what? Open the solar panels and wait a year?

In all fairness, and electric truck is much more SHTF worthy than a gas or diesel one.

I can't think of, or don't know how to make my own petroleum. I also don't stockpile gas in any amounts considered 'serious'.

I can think of many ways to trickle charge a battery.

Coal Dragger
10-21-20, 18:12
If you have a way to connect a steam engine to a gear and drive a generator you could convert any combustible material into electrical current.

So hypothetically if you have a water source and fuel source you could keep an EV operational within a limited range, or haul your steam engine generator around.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-21-20, 18:53
If you have a way to connect a steam engine to a gear and drive a generator you could convert any combustible material into electrical current.

So hypothetically if you have a water source and fuel source you could keep an EV operational within a limited range, or haul your steam engine generator around.

When I heard about 'rolling coal"(?), I thought people had actually put a coal fired boiler in the bed of their truck. Very disappointed.

I'm fine with letting other people pay for bleeding edge tech while they get to scale and bring costs down.

When you look at EV vehicles and the Green Building push for Net Zero buildings, it's almost like they anticipate the crash of society and infrastructure. Cool tech. Try to implement it to everyone and you'll starve and kill people.

czgunner
10-21-20, 19:22
In all fairness, and electric truck is much more SHTF worthy than a gas or diesel one.

I can't think of, or don't know how to make my own petroleum. I also don't stockpile gas in any amounts considered 'serious'.

Well, when those fancy electronics fail (and they will, it’s GM) your EV is just as useless as the gas/diesel guys.

Grand58742
10-21-20, 20:56
This thing is certainly a counter to the Tesla modern marvel of grotesque.

One question I have for the gear heads or law savvy folks on here about the .mil spec HMMWVs. How come they can't (or won't) be made street legal? It seems like a surplus market for the older non-armored ones would be significant as the aforementioned backcountry toys.

bubba04
10-21-20, 21:26
It’s still a GM.....

Allen
10-21-20, 21:32
Did we just become best friends?

utahjeepr
10-21-20, 21:34

One question I have for the gear heads or law savvy folks on here about the .mil spec HMMWVs. How come they can't (or won't) be made street legal? It seems like a surplus market for the older non-armored ones would be significant as the aforementioned backcountry toys.

They can be registered and licensed in many states. I don't know the specifics put I have seen several on the road in UT and AZ.

When I first registered my M-715 I had a little trouble. Mostly because it had a 5 digit serial# as a VIN.

AndyLate
10-21-20, 21:59

I am sure the states consider the cost of the highway maintenance crews spending all their time picking up broken HMMWV bits and the wear and tear all the loaded wreckers will put on the roads hauling them to the shop.

Wildcat
10-21-20, 23:59

A variety of diesel can be made from vegetable oil or waste fat.
Or there's biodiesel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

Also, there were a considerable number of cars converted to alternative fuels during WWII; when actual gasoline was prioritized for military uses. The Japanese used alcohol based fuels, which admittedly were not a great substitute but they did work. In Europe, some cars were converted to woodgas. The vehicle needed to be fitted with a gasifier to liberate the combustible gas from fuels, like wood, and then feed it to the carburetor. See more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas You will notice it is not as convenient as modern transport because it requires some preheating in order start producing gas to run the car BUT you can get fuel in just about any woodlot.

It won't be long before people in California will need to revive this technology because California plans to outlaw gasoline cars. Then they can put some of that dead underbrush to good use instead of wasting it in forest fires.

Arik
10-22-20, 06:50
A variety of diesel can be made from vegetable oil or waste fat.
Or there's biodiesel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

Also, there were a considerable number of cars converted to alternative fuels during WWII; when actual gasoline was prioritized for military uses. The Japanese used alcohol based fuels, which admittedly were not a great substitute but they did work. In Europe, some cars were converted to woodgas. The vehicle needed to be fitted with a gasifier to liberate the combustible gas from fuels, like wood, and then feed it to the carburetor. See more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas You will notice it is not as convenient as modern transport because it requires some preheating in order start producing gas to run the car BUT you can get fuel in just about any woodlot.

It won't be long before people in California will need to revive this technology because California plans to outlaw gasoline cars. Then they can put some of that dead underbrush to good use instead of wasting it in forest fires.

California is outlawing the sale of NEW gas powered cars by 2035.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Arik
10-22-20, 06:57
It’s still a GM.....Is it though? It's popular for car companies to own a dozen other brands and buy from competitors. Example, the new Toyota Supra will have a BMW engine!

lysander
10-22-20, 07:41

Actually, there was a place where gasoline and diesel became very scarce and alternatives had to be found. They used wood to power trucks and cars. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator)

This training tank runs on wood chips:
https://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/fahrschulepanzerwagen-VI-tiger-holzgasantrieb.jpg

Scrubber3
10-22-20, 07:44
Is it though? It's popular for car companies to own a dozen other brands and buy from competitors. Example, the new Toyota Supra will have a BMW engine!

Sent from my moto z4 using TapatalkHas. The new supra has been out for a hot minute.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Arik
10-22-20, 08:05
Has. The new supra has been out for a hot minute.

Sent from my SM-N986U using TapatalkCool! I don't follow car news all that much

Grand58742
10-22-20, 09:37
They can be registered and licensed in many states. I don't know the specifics put I have seen several on the road in UT and AZ.

When I first registered my M-715 I had a little trouble. Mostly because it had a 5 digit serial# as a VIN.

Ah, I was always told they couldn't be registered for some safety reason or other. That's why they never really showed on the DRMO lots. Of course, I haven't checked a DRMO lot in a long time, so there is that.

Coal Dragger
10-22-20, 10:59
Has. The new supra has been out for a hot minute.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

The Supra is a BMW, just a Z4 underneath.

So basically it will end up being a pile of dog shit in the reliability department because BMW’s are trash.

Hank6046
10-22-20, 11:32

Yep, you're right. It will sell like hotcakes

bubba04
10-22-20, 13:56
Is it though? It's popular for car companies to own a dozen other brands and buy from competitors. Example, the new Toyota Supra will have a BMW engine!

That’s fair. I was a big Chevy guy until government motors happened. After that I have had bad luck with their vehicles.

nick84
10-22-20, 16:12
Armed with the knowledge that the commercial was CGI, and the final product will likely look a little bit different...I still think it's cool. Fully electric vehicles are here to stay; eventually they will get cheaper and at least this thing does not look like that hideous Tesla monstrosity that was likely drawn by the kindergartener of a Tesla designer.

But what I really need is GM to make the same style truck with the same tech on the same size frame, and then stuff a small diesel into it and knock 40 or 50 grand off the sticker.

Grand58742
10-22-20, 17:54
Armed with the knowledge that the commercial was CGI, and the final product will likely look a little bit different...I still think it's cool. Fully electric vehicles are here to stay; eventually they will get cheaper and at least this thing does not look like that hideous Tesla monstrosity that was likely drawn by the kindergartener of a Tesla designer.

But what I really need is GM to make the same style truck with the same tech on the same size frame, and then stuff a small diesel into it and knock 40 or 50 grand off the sticker.

That's what kind of blew my mind about the Tesla Cybertruck. I mean, the Model S is pretty stylish and the other passenger models aren't horrible. (except the price)

Like you said, like a child drew it up with crayons.

Coal Dragger
10-22-20, 18:38
Well if the Tesla is made of as thick a gauge of 300 series stainless as they claim, you cannot really hydroform the material. So they’re probably scoring the back side of it and folding it to meet and then welding. So you end up with the shape, and the structural integrity being in the shell as stated since there is no ladder frame acting as a structural member.

I’m in the minority in liking the Tesla design and material choice. No paint to chip, scratch, fade or peel. Stainless steel that is unlikely to rust, and a thick enough gauge to also be nearly impervious to hail if not completely impervious. Same for the glass. If the range and performance claims are met with all the other claims for the stated price it will be a functional bargain.

Arik
10-22-20, 19:37
I kinda like the Tesla truck. I like simple designs. Don't care for the modern spaceship looks

ChattanoogaPhil
10-23-20, 11:52
The Rivian looks pretty good. It's more of a conventional styled pickup.

Two electric Harleys two Rivians (main focus in on the bikes and riders) are on a road trip documentary called Long Way Up. 13,000 mile trek from Argentina to S California. Very good show.

Esq.
10-23-20, 13:11
They are saying 300 mile range. That is commensurate with MANY modern gas vehicles.

I may need one....

Esq.
10-23-20, 13:14
Well, when those fancy electronics fail (and they will, it’s GM) your EV is just as useless as the gas/diesel guys.

Well DUH, on a LONG ENOUGH TIME LINE, EVERYONE IS WALKING or riding a jackass....

czgunner
10-23-20, 13:42
Well DUH, on a LONG ENOUGH TIME LINE, EVERYONE IS WALKING or riding a jackass....

[emoji38] I suppose so. The thing is, I’ve been working on GM (and everything else) for the last 10 years. I would not want to depend on their electronics at the end of times.

glocktogo
10-23-20, 14:57

You could probably haul quite a few deployable solar panels in the bed. How about a camper shell made entirely of solar panels that charge on the fly? :confused:

Jellybean
10-23-20, 17:25
Well, I kinda hate the whole half SUV/half shortbed pickup thing... but I think they did a good job combining them here. I think it looks cool. Like a near-future sci-fi SUV.
Although the front end is a little bit of a current-edition Land Rover ripoff... :laugh:

That being said F**K OFF WITH THE ELECTRONIC BS GADGETS ALREADY! Damnation...
No, I don't need or want a flat-screen cockpit, just give me simple speedo/rpm/ power level gauges like I already have. Save me some money and power use.
No, I don't want or need the headlights to do some dumbass blinky nonsense while it's charging. Give me a simple charge indicator in the cab.
Like... damn. Keep it simple, save money for the end user, save a little extra power use, and less stuff to fail/break over time. Everyone's STILL happy.
I think that's where a lot of electro-cars are going wrong- the manufacturers are trying to live in 2077, when they need to build confidence/infrastructure in the new tech first.

You could probably haul quite a few deployable solar panels in the bed. How about a camper shell made entirely of solar panels that charge on the fly? :confused:

I'm actually SUPER disappointed they didn't use the pop-off roof panels for that. Make each one of those an integrated solar panel so you can charge as you drive without ever having to stop and plug in. Duh. It's an offroad vehicle. There's no electric out there. Get with the program already. Give an integrated alt charge source so the end user will actually be inspired with some confidence to take some risks with it. But like someone else already said, apparently they just want to build the next soccer-mom luxury SUV that will never leave a town...
I mean, come on... I can get a red dot with a solar alt power source, but not a truck they want me to take offroad, or rely on to drive long distances?

[emoji38] I suppose so. The thing is, I’ve been working on GM (and everything else) for the last 10 years. I would not want to depend on their electronics at the end of times.

I'm no mechanic, but this is what reading end user feedback online says to me as well. The vehicles look nice, but longevity... not so much.

Arik
10-23-20, 17:31
Well, I kinda hate the whole half SUV/half shortbed pickup thing... but I think they did a good job combining them here. I think it looks cool. Like a near-future sci-fi SUV.
Although the front end is a little bit of a current-edition Land Rover ripoff... [emoji23]

That being said F**K OFF WITH THE ELECTRONIC BS GADGETS ALREADY! Damnation...
No, I don't need or want a flat-screen cockpit, just give me simple speedo/rpm/ power level gauges like I already have. Save me some money and power use.
No, I don't want or need the headlights to do some dumbass blinky nonsense while it's charging. Give me a simple charge indicator in the cab.
Like... damn. Keep it simple, save money for the end user, save a little extra power use, and less stuff to fail/break over time. Everyone's STILL happy.
I think that's where a lot of electro-cars are going wrong- the manufacturers are trying to live in 2077, when they need to build confidence/infrastructure in the new tech first.

I'm actually SUPER disappointed they didn't use the pop-off roof panels for that. Make each one of those an integrated solar panel so you can charge as you drive without ever having to stop and plug in. Duh. It's an offroad vehicle. There's no electric out there. Get with the program already. Give an integrated alt charge source so the end user will actually be inspired with some confidence to take some risks with it. But like someone else already said, apparently they just want to build the next soccer-mom luxury SUV that will never leave a town...
I mean, come on... I can get a red dot with a solar alt power source, but not a truck they want me to take offroad, or rely on to drive long distances?

I'm no mechanic, but this is what reading end user feedback online says to me as well. The vehicles look nice, but longevity... not so much.YES!!!!

Most people however, are like parrots, distracted by shiny shit

Wildcat
10-23-20, 18:59

This is not a dig at your idea but I don't think the technology is presently good enough to drive very far "for free" by harvesting enough sunlight.

Looking at numbers:

1 horsepower = 745.7 Watts

Today's solar panel technology claims probably about 15 Watts / sq ft. under optimum conditions.
From that, you can make a back of the envelope guess on how much sq footage you need to keep the car going.

The original HMMWV casts a shadow about 15ft x 7ft (105 sqft). If every bit of that was used for solar collection, you could get (at local noon, clear sunny day) 1575 Watts (slightly more than 2 horsepower).
The H1 had a 150 horsepower engine so even with our best panels and good weather, it takes enough solar panels to cover parking spaces for 70 H1s to drive just one H1.
Put another way, if you use the available area on the vehicle to charge a battery, you would have to charge for (at least) 70 minutes to drive one minute.

So you don't really need 150 hp all the time but say 70hp for normal running; even at 30 minutes of charge per 1 minute of drive, we are not there yet.

Jellybean
10-23-20, 20:20
This is not a dig at your idea but I don't think the technology is presently good enough to drive very far "for free" by harvesting enough sunlight......

So you don't really need 150 hp all the time but say 70hp for normal running; even at 30 minutes of charge per 1 minute of drive, we are not there yet.

No, I get it. I was sort of overstating it a bit because I was pissed they didn't take advantage of an obvious (and something end users would probably think is cool) idea.

What I WOULD happily settle for is that as an alt-emergency-charge source. Maybe even have a bed-cover to get a few more square feet of coverage.
IE, you and a few of your best idiot buddies drive a bit to far and can't quite make it back. Well, all you need to do is wait a day, instead of having to walk back...
Yeah, most people would likely never need to use it, and the slow charge might make it sort of useless overall.... BUT! It would have shown that they recognizer WHERE they are advertising the vehicle being used. Since it's supposed to be such a hardcore offroader and all. I mean it can crab for goodness sake, but I have no way to 'refuel' if I drive to battery depletion.

So the "charge as you drive thing" was meant more as a "store power as you drive" - maybe an emergency battery bank, or a two-part bank where it only draws from one 'side' or another at a time, unless full power was needed. I think that makes sense, right?

Wildcat
10-23-20, 23:27
Makes sense and I agree it -would- be a cool idea.

On that line of thinking though, a fuel cell would be better than solar.

dwhitehorne
10-24-20, 05:18
Any these things actually going to cost over $100,000? Lot of neat features but for $100,000 I would hope so. David

Scrubber3
10-24-20, 09:12
Any these things actually going to cost over $100,000? Lot of neat features but for $100,000 I would hope so. DavidJust look at the price of higherr end Tesla vehicles. It's honestly competitive if you consider its capabilities.

I say this, but my daily is a 2001 Jeep XJ and I love it.

Jellybean
10-24-20, 11:19
A quick overview of some of the looks, features, etc. They don't drive it, so I'm guessing it's a dummy/mockup, but, interesting to see what they're advertising for 2021/22.
Apparently the $100k price tag is for the "loaded" model that they overview here, and others will be less. Still... not worth say, 80k for the cheaper ones. Trucks are already to goddamn expensive; 50K for a pickup is already absurd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FrnNTyOAes

Scrubber3
10-29-20, 18:12
Another ytvid.

https://youtu.be/Z2YLEPFa750

Doug DeMuro has a way of finding every little quirk and feature. Pretty cool IMO

Allen
10-29-20, 23:28
The Tesla Cyber truck napkin math is ~15 Miles a day, if you've got a full sun day and park with the vault cover facing south. Its enough to limp to a near by charger, or home depot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf6WgQfL7DY

scooter22
10-30-20, 09:12
The only haters are boomers and poors.

Sorry not sorry.

Scrubber3
10-30-20, 11:38

Sorry not sorry.I have to agree. I cannot afford it, but I still see it as cool. Since the edition ones are all already sold out, I'm not the only one.

jpmuscle
10-30-20, 12:37
I wish the save the earth crowd put 2% of the effort they put into pushing electric automobiles into nuclear energy.

>we have to push zero emissions
>we have to stop global warming
>we have to push clean renewable energy

Can we build Nuke plants everywhere? A localized mini reactor would power a small town for decades. Can we miniaturize the tech for vehicles so you’d never have to recharge your EV? Can we build tokamak reactors to break down and convert otherwise spent nuclear fuel and trash for that matter into inert material and use it to build roads?

The answer to all of those is no because nuclear energy is SCARY and we can’t risk 100s of Chernobyls....

Hypocrites ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpmuscle
10-30-20, 12:42

Sorry not sorry.

Facts.

As battery tech improves this stuff is only going to get more awesome.

Downside though is much like how subscription services have made the telecom and media services miserable the same will happen to EVs.

Oh you want that extra power AC mode? Up charge. You want that performance mod? Upgrade for xxxx monthly. Looks like you violated the speed limit on XX road on xxx date, your ticket is being mailed to you and we’ve notified your insurance company. Oh you missed a car payment? Well now you’re locked out of your EV since we shut it down remotely over the 5G network it connects to.

Oh you tried hacking your Tesla computer? Now your EV is bricked like an iPhone.

Progress always comes at a price sadly and awesome stuff inevitably gets fvcked up somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renegade
10-30-20, 12:54

Sorry not sorry.

The only buyers will be fat, white men wearing flip-flops, going to the grocery store.

No room for this joke next to my H1 Alpha.

Renegade
10-30-20, 12:54
DT.....