PDA

View Full Version : Sticky safety selector switch in new build

Krp7894
10-23-20, 14:56
I just assembled another Spike tactical lower with the spikes enhanced LPK. For whatever reason my safety selector is a little gummy. It requires a pretty decent follow through with the switch if you know what I mean otherwise it’ll be stuck between safe and fire. My other spikes is smooth as butter as well as my other 2 ARs. I took the grip off and re assembled the switch with the hammer forward and safety on fire and it’s still pretty stiff. Any pointers?

markm
10-23-20, 15:12
I put a lot of oil in the detent slots. You can try another detent and/or Safetey too.

bamashooter
10-23-20, 18:55
If you have a rotary tool with a pointed end cratex (or any rubberized attachment with bullet end), that should work well in the slot for the detent. Pretty much impossible to screw it up. Perhaps a nice polishing of the detent end will suffice. Grease.

Krp7894
10-24-20, 09:23
I’ll try dropping some lube where the detent is and re do the safety again. Detent drops in perfectly. If that doesn’t work only thing I can think of is I grabbed the wrong spring but I don’t think that’s even it. I’ll give it a try again and see. This is the only time this has every happened to me on a build.

markm
10-24-20, 12:59
This is the only time this has every happened to me on a build.

I've had a bunch of mushy selectors over the years. My house gun is so crisp, it's almost too noisy for that bump in the night.

turnburglar
10-24-20, 14:30
I had a gummy selector recently. Put a tiny bit of white lithium grease on it when oil didn't work.

ST911
10-24-20, 23:25
https://geissele.com/geissele-posi-snap-safety-selector.html

99cobra2881
10-25-20, 07:39
Oil runs off use small amount of grease on the safety detent tip.

Check the depth of the hole in the grip it may be shallow and causing too much tension on the spring.

Krp7894
10-28-20, 13:00
I’m a dummy. Put the wrong spring in. Swapped it out for the longer spring and all good.

26 Inf
10-28-20, 21:00
I’m a dummy. Put the wrong spring in. Swapped it out for the longer spring and all good.

You weren't the first and you won't be the last! :)

Armadillo
01-07-22, 12:24
I found this thread while doing a search.

Had the same problem on a rifle that is almost 10 years old.
Maybe 5000 rounds from lots of classes.

LOTS of reps with the safety.

Well, in the past few months I had not fired it much but the safety was much more difficult to move than normal.

I could still do it, but would have ended up with a sore thumb if used in a class.

I oiled it but that did not solve the problem.

I have the proper tool to remove the screw in for the grip.

The spring inside was one thick mass of crud. It was all caked up with oil and carbon.

I removed the safety switch and took out the detent.

Upon close examination the point was asymmetrical. Meaning it no longer came to an even point.

As a result it would not slide in and out of the detent slots in the safety switch.

I have an expensive collection of hundreds of small parts so I have the spring and detent.

I thoroughly cleaned out the holes for the detent and spring in the receiver and grip with cotton swabs.

Then I realized I had a newer Magpul grip and put it all back together with the new grip.

You wont bend the spring and can push the grip in easily if you do so while the receiver is flat on it's side.

I put a little oil on the safety switch - should have greased the detent holes - and now the switch feels wonderful.

I have a Battle Arms ambi short throw switch with really feels comfortable.

Fortunately I had a T10 screwdriver bit (I also have the mini wrench) to take apart the switch for removal.

I am so glad to me a member of this forum which had been priceless for AR15 related info.

MegademiC
01-10-22, 21:12
Double check you used the right spring. I accidentally put my bolt catch spring in the grip/safety detent hole and it made it stiff/gummy.

Dunning-krugger effect got me!

Armadillo
01-10-22, 21:42
Double check you used the right spring. I accidentally put my bolt catch spring in the grip/safety detent hole and it made it stiff/gummy.

Dunning-krugger effect got me!

The bolt catch spring is less than 1/2 the size of the selector spring.

Wouldn't the bolt catch spring get caught deep inside the grip?