PDA

View Full Version : Rare White Doo Wop

platoonDaddy
10-23-20, 17:29
Yesterday, at the doctors office, I heard songs from “Rare White Doo Wop #1” album. As a huge Doo Wop fan, I only knew one song.

Came home, did a search and found out there are 5 "Rare White Doo Wop" albums.

The word “white” in the album title I thought maybe just white artist, but that isn’t the case. The 5 albums have both B&W.

Serious question in the music industry what is the meaning of “Rare White” ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz7zWYXUTQk

gaijin
10-24-20, 13:40
Guessing “obscure”. Doo Wop being primarily, if not exclusively a White group thing.

Found this:
https://www.shsu.edu/lis_fwh/book/roots_of_rock/Doo-Wop2.htm

Averageman
10-26-20, 12:32
Rare as in a "Rare White Elephant" kind of thing?

gaijin
10-26-20, 15:45
Search me bro, if it’s a Hipster reference, I’m clear outta the loop.
Mid geezerhood here.

Perhaps it’s “rare” due to the age of the those just discovering it- like when I first heard original Robert Johnson 78s in High School.

Averageman
10-27-20, 08:39
Search me bro, if it’s a Hipster reference, I’m clear outta the loop.
Mid geezerhood here.

Perhaps it’s “rare” due to the age of the those just discovering it- like when I first heard original Robert Johnson 78s in High School.

I've been going over Keith Richard's old acoustic stuff whish is like absolute magic to me.
Parachute Woman, Love in Vane, Country honk etc. Amazing stuff!

gaijin
10-27-20, 10:35
I've been going over Keith Richard's old acoustic stuff whish is like absolute magic to me.
Parachute Woman, Love in Vane, Country honk etc. Amazing stuff!

His use of open G tuning has always intrigued me.

Delta Blues used open tunings, but primarily with Bottleneck/slide. Fairly common; Duane Allman, Clapton.

Richards gets his DISTINCTIVE sound (think "Can't you Hear me Knocking") with this.

Averageman
10-27-20, 10:47
His use of open G tuning has always intrigued me.

Delta Blues used open tunings, but primarily with Bottleneck/slide. Fairly common; Duane Allman, Clapton.

Richards gets his DISTINCTIVE sound (think "Can't you Hear me Knocking") with this.

That tuning sent me down a two week rabbit hole and had me tearing apart my telecaster.
I put it back together and bought a cheaper model to "Frankenstein."

gaijin
10-27-20, 13:38
Yep.
The inquisitive mind frequently pays a high price. : )