PDA

View Full Version : Simple, stupid tricks to show kids

Mozart
10-27-20, 19:43
I have several nieces that I adore (age 3-5), and on a recent visit, I did this stupid trick where I pretended I can disconnect my thumb. They got a kick out of it and we’re trying to recreate it for days afterwards. Pretty funny.

Does anyone know any more dumb stuff I could show my little nieces?

jsbhike
10-27-20, 19:59
Fun watching my son try to get his hands twisted around for this at that age.

C-grunt
10-27-20, 20:28
I have a math trick for older kids and adults.

Pick any whole number and dont tell me
Multiply it by 2
Add 10
Divide that number by 2
Subtract the original number you started out with
Your answer is 5

The key is to switch the added number every time. The answer will always be half of the number you told them to add.

jason.mayberry68
10-27-20, 20:39
Pull a quarter out of their ear...then swallow it....then say your favorite magic phrase and make it reappear. (All while hiding the quarter in your hand(s) in between your fingers.) They will absolutely love this one.

Firefly
10-27-20, 20:40
My old man got sick of me bothering him one day. So he told me to stand at the position of attention. I did.

He said remain there and went to get a shovel. He came back with the shovel and handed it to me.

“Boy, I heard there was a news report of some big jail break last night. I need you to secure our perimeter. I want you to go out to the other side of the farm and dig exactly one football field length row of holes three feet wide and three feet deep. When you are done report back to me and I will instruct you on how to make punji sticks. Use this tape measure. Exactly three feet wide and three feet deep.”

Oh BOY! I thought. So I spent all day precisely measuring the holes. Pacing them apart. Really taking pride in my work. Simply and totally going through my mind that we were gonna set up booby traps to stop escaped inmates. I started imagining us hiding out in the woods with camo and guns and getting a medal from the sheriff and being in the newspaper and in my preteen mind I figured at some point I would be awarded a trip to Disneyworld and some Nintendo cartridges.

So I come back sweaty and tired and wore out. Half the day was gone. Then my dad told me”Son, they caught the escaped prisoners. We’re in a stand down posture. I need you to go back and fill in those holes for next time”.

And I did. And I was beat. And I wanted nothing more than a bath, food, and to go to bed.

I admit it took a while for me to realize my old man was messing with me. But I seriously thought we was gonna be doing some First Blood mess to escapees from prison.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EZobdiJ4M

Obviously you couldn’t trick a kid like that today but if I get off my ass and have kids, I’m pulling that one on them.

tb-av
10-27-20, 23:39
^^^^ Now that's loyalty you can not often find.

This is a good one. I've got one carved out of wood that older than I am.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124311358827

Diamondback
10-28-20, 00:43
My old man got sick of me bothering him one day. So he told me to stand at the position of attention. I did.

He said remain there and went to get a shovel. He came back with the shovel and handed it to me.

“Boy, I heard there was a news report of some big jail break last night. I need you to secure our perimeter. I want you to go out to the other side of the farm and dig exactly one football field length row of holes three feet wide and three feet deep. When you are done report back to me and I will instruct you on how to make punji sticks. Use this tape measure. Exactly three feet wide and three feet deep.”

Oh BOY! I thought. So I spent all day precisely measuring the holes. Pacing them apart. Really taking pride in my work. Simply and totally going through my mind that we were gonna set up booby traps to stop escaped inmates. I started imagining us hiding out in the woods with camo and guns and getting a medal from the sheriff and being in the newspaper and in my preteen mind I figured at some point I would be awarded a trip to Disneyworld and some Nintendo cartridges.

So I come back sweaty and tired and wore out. Half the day was gone. Then my dad told me”Son, they caught the escaped prisoners. We’re in a stand down posture. I need you to go back and fill in those holes for next time”.

And I did. And I was beat. And I wanted nothing more than a bath, food, and to go to bed.

I admit it took a while for me to realize my old man was messing with me. But I seriously thought we was gonna be doing some First Blood mess to escapees from prison.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EZobdiJ4M

Obviously you couldn’t trick a kid like that today but if I get off my ass and have kids, I’m pulling that one on them.

Grandpa said that back in his day when some n00b Airman was getting on his fellow Sarges' nerves they'd send the poor schmuck out to fetch a hundred yards of flightline, or a 55 gallon drum of jet wash, or a can of prop pitch...

titsonritz
10-28-20, 00:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji1P1PvOcrw

Honu
10-28-20, 01:20
get and learn a thumb tip google that

kids like that stuff also sponge balls but they take a bit of learning

Wildcat
10-28-20, 01:34
If you are able to, do a knuckle-roll with a quarter (flip it along the back of your fingers) then give them each a nickle (because their hands are smaller) and teach them how it works.

SteyrAUG
10-28-20, 04:41
Grandpa said that back in his day when some n00b Airman was getting on his fellow Sarges' nerves they'd send the poor schmuck out to fetch a hundred yards of flightline, or a 55 gallon drum of jet wash, or a can of prop pitch...

My grandfather used to mention they had to field strip and assemble their 1911s in the dark and sure as hell I'd spend the weekend in a dark closet taking my 1911 apart and putting it back together. Whatever he told us they had to do...we had to try.

10-28-20, 04:47
I have a paramedic buddy that does the thumb trick to every kid he can. Its hilarious because he’s missing most of a thumb.

TommyG
10-28-20, 06:53
Take them Snipe hunting. Make up all sorts of ridiculous things for them to do to attract the birds. Have them freeze, chase them etc. Hours of amusement. Also works well with out of town relatives from the city.

jsbhike
10-28-20, 08:31

A guy my Dad knows was either asking too many questions or not enough. One day they were on a march with him near the rear near a Sgt. who told him to go ask another Sgt. in the front for a cigarette. He ran all the forward and got "what kind did he want?" then back to the rear for "what kind does he have?" That continued on through ignition sources too.

gaijin
10-28-20, 09:56
My Niece and Nephew actually believed I was a former member of the "Blue Man Group".

That was always good for agonizingly egregious lies and bogus war stories about the Music World.

604flyer
10-28-20, 11:11
My folks used to take my sis and I up to McGregor, TX to visit relatives living on a couple of farms. To keep us busy one uncle would give us a couple of salt shakers and tell us if we sprinkled salt on the chickens tails they’d stand still and we could pick them up. Imagine a couple of amped up 4 and 6 year olds running at the chickens trying to douse their tails in salt. I’m sure the old folks got a good laugh out of the whole thing.

Caduceus
10-28-20, 11:26
My kids love the thumb teick5, my daughter (7) is probably.close to figuring it out.

I rub pennies away. You lean on a table, head on your hand, and a penny in the other hand. Rub the penny against your forearm, talking about how the copper is soft it dissolves with sweat, blah blah blah. At some point drop it on the table, pick it up and transfer to the hand that your head is leaning on.

As the kids watch the hand rubbing your forearm (that they think still has the penny) , you slip the penny (currently in the opposite hand) into your shirt collar.

Grand58742
10-28-20, 14:40

It's "Wash, Prop, Concentrated, Type 3" and it helps fill in chips in the vehicle windshields. At least that's what the label on the jug we'd send out said...

Funny story about the "Hundred yards of flightline." I had a sup that was stationed in Clark AB in the Philippines beore it closed that sent out such a young trooper looking for said flightline. Couple of hours later, the young Airman returned with a convoy consisting of: a grader, a front end loader, 10K forklift and a semi truck full of Marston Mat (or whatever the replacement was). Basically, the base civil engineers got tired of some young, dumb Airman looking for "flightline" and decided to send some back with him this time with the request "please don't send them our way again."

They never messed with the kid again.

SteyrAUG
10-28-20, 17:15
Pull my finger...

GTF425
10-28-20, 17:35
I have a paramedic buddy that does the thumb trick to every kid he can. Its hilarious because he’s missing most of a thumb.

I picked up a kid for a PICU transfer and did the thumb trick on her. She laughed and told me her dad does that all the time, and asked us to do it again. My partner tried, but she ****ed it up and the kid shot her down hard and said "No, he needs to do it".

Later that shift, I caught my partner practicing in front of a mirror at our airbase trying to get it right lol

Diamondback
10-28-20, 17:39
Pull my finger...

Better not pull mine... instant Superfund site. :) Just ask the stinker of a prof who took an entire quarter's worth of assgas straight up the snotlocker... *evil snickering*

And whatever you do, DON'T teach them about Pop-Its under the toilet seat. Grandpa hopped up and down like an organ grinder's monkey when I set that little ambush... but in the end joined in the laughter.

Mozart
10-28-20, 20:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji1P1PvOcrw

That’s the one!

Mozart
10-28-20, 20:40
Maybe I’ll look up some easy magic tricks

10-28-20, 20:51
I picked up a kid for a PICU transfer and did the thumb trick on her. She laughed and told me her dad does that all the time, and asked us to do it again. My partner tried, but she ****ed it up and the kid shot her down hard and said "No, he needs to do it".

Later that shift, I caught my partner practicing in front of a mirror at our airbase trying to get it right lol

Lol. Its an important skill. BTW, I’m done paramagicianing for a year or so. Found myself a schoolhouse to hide in.

Disciple
10-29-20, 19:44
Funny story about the "Hundred yards of flightline." I had a sup that was stationed in Clark AB in the Philippines beore it closed that sent out such a young trooper looking for said flightline. Couple of hours later, the young Airman returned with a convoy consisting of: a grader, a front end loader, 10K forklift and a semi truck full of Marston Mat (or whatever the replacement was). Basically, the base civil engineers got tired of some young, dumb Airman looking for "flightline" and decided to send some back with him this time with the request "please don't send them our way again."

They never messed with the kid again.

:laugh::thank_you2:

mrbieler
10-29-20, 21:46
I always liked the we have 11 fingers joke for kids. Count out loud on one hand backwards with each finger, "10,9,8,7,6" and then show the other hand saying, "plus 5". 6+5 is 11. We have 11 fingers.