PDA

View Full Version : Never had this happen before

davidjinks
10-30-20, 18:44
The pictures aren’t the best but I tried to get them showing the bend. In the first picture you see how much of the coating and company markings have been stripped away.

http://i.imgur.com/G580ACZ.jpg (https://imgur.com/G580ACZ)

http://i.imgur.com/OxfL7PS.jpg (https://imgur.com/OxfL7PS)

http://i.imgur.com/WXt9DEU.jpg (https://imgur.com/WXt9DEU)

http://i.imgur.com/C1QIn1B.jpg (https://imgur.com/C1QIn1B)

BCM medium latch charging handle. They’re the only ones I run on any of my rifles. This particular one was on a rifle that was test fired with 50 rounds, cleaned and put away. It was in a standard colt le6920. No serious range time, classes, schools, no nothing.

I first realized there was a problem when I got my SOPMOD stock from Jack (Not gonna lie Jack, I cursed your name for a day or so because I thought you sent me a messed up stock!). I retracted the charging handle like normal and the thing would scuff the top of the stock and then gut stuck in place. I didn’t even need to hold the bolt hold open to lock the bolt, just let the charging handle do it’s thing and hang out on the stock. No visible damage, just that gradual bend in it. I don’t know how it happened but it’s there.

I went online to buy a new BCM charging handle (had it in 3 days!). I see they had a design change to it. Which of course I like a lot because it doesn’t feel like a rib is being pride apart.

Anyway, check your gear before and after use, and if you don’t already, by some BCM products because they’re a solid company!

DG23
10-30-20, 19:23
Anyway, check your gear before and after use, and if you don’t already, by some BCM products because they’re a solid company!

If so 'solid' - why did you need to replace after 50 rounds???

n8vmind
10-30-20, 19:31
No VLTOR logo on my current gen BCM charging handles which function flawlessly on both BCM and non-BCM uppers..

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

bp7178
10-30-20, 21:30
At 50 rounds the charging handle had that kind of wear?

Color me skeptical.

LMT Shooter
10-30-20, 21:40
How do you suppose that it got bent?

MistWolf
10-31-20, 09:41
The charging handle is either warped, or wasn't heat treated properly. Regardless, contact BCM

docsherm
10-31-20, 10:22
No VLTOR logo on my current gen BCM charging handles which function flawlessly on both BCM and non-BCM uppers..

Do you know why the new ones don't havve the Vltor logo on them? And why they are a different design?

opngrnd
10-31-20, 10:59
Do you know why the new ones don't havve the Vltor logo on them? And why they are a different design?

I have wondered about this. Can you provide feedback?

DG23
10-31-20, 15:35

Color me skeptical.

Exactly. Aside of the bend that is a good bit of finish wear for that low of a round count.

Even if it was operated / cycled 50 times without firing any rounds - That is a good bit of finish wear...

99cobra2881
10-31-20, 19:37

I read that people were pinching their hands on the VLTOR style so BCM idiot proofed their new design.

VLTOR is still making their BCM style CH. I picked up a SOLGW/VLTOR branded mod4 earlier this summer for a new rifle.

turnburglar
10-31-20, 19:41
Exactly. Aside of the bend that is a good bit of finish wear for that low of a round count.

Even if it was operated / cycled 50 times without firing any rounds - That is a good bit of finish wear...

The CH is worn BECAUSE it is bent. Not worn AND bent.

Im surprised you didn't notice the charging handle was bad just simply hand cycling it. I got a bent CH in a PSA build kit. As soon as I hand cycled a few times I thought something was off. I applied white lithium grease to the top pf the handle and it was still bad so I then checked it for trueness. Using some quick and dirty Trig I discovered the handle had a less than 2* bend to it, but that was enough to make it unserviceable. PSA offered to replace it, but I declined as I just threw an upgraded CH in the gun anyways.

davidjinks
10-31-20, 22:58
I replaced the charging handle because it was bent.

If so 'solid' - why did you need to replace after 50 rounds???

The new one I purchased runs excellent.

You can call it what it is. I’m not asking for anything from the manufacturer. I even stated I went and bought a new one to replace this one. 50 live rounds were fired with this rifle. And maybe another 100 or so dry fires/manipulations were done as well.

Color me skeptical.

I honestly don’t know. It didn’t actually give me any problems until I switched to an LMT SOPMOD stock.

How do you suppose that it got bent?

Anything is possible.

The charging handle is either warped, or wasn't heat treated properly. Regardless, contact BCM

The finish wear comes from the fact it is bent.

Like I said above, I didn’t notice it until I changed to a SOPMOD stock. That’s when I noticed the issues.

Im surprised you didn't notice the charging handle was bad just simply hand cycling it. I got a bent CH in a PSA build kit. As soon as I hand cycled a few times I thought something was off. I applied white lithium grease to the top pf the handle and it was still bad so I then checked it for trueness. Using some quick and dirty Trig I discovered the handle had a less than 2* bend to it, but that was enough to make it unserviceable. PSA offered to replace it, but I declined as I just threw an upgraded CH in the gun anyways.

davidjinks
10-31-20, 23:04
I am curious as well.......

jsbhike
11-01-20, 08:38

They stopped teaming up on them around the time I decided to try replacing my medium latches with small/short to get away from the abdominal poke, so none were to be had. Can't remember if I contacted one or both?

gaijin
11-01-20, 08:49
Geissle ACH or Radian Raptor for me- no mo stabbing chest/ribs/whatever.

davidjinks
11-01-20, 10:58
The newer style CH from BCM is an excellent improvement. I like it a lot better that the original MOD 4 CH.

I will be replacing the others that I’m still using.

Geissle ACH or Radian Raptor for me- no mo stabbing chest/ribs/whatever.

DG23
11-01-20, 15:47

The bend may have caused the wear on the top but on the sides???

Nope. That wear on the sides didn't come from that bend.

DG23
11-01-20, 15:55
PSA offered to replace it, but I declined as I just threw an upgraded CH in the gun anyways.

Those idiots will NEVER hire good QC people until enough people start complaining / returning the garbage they consistently ship out the door.

No matter if you upgraded to something else or not you should have made them fix their screw up because it was a 'screw up'. Why pay good money for stuff that is obviously not right???

If I ever go completely blind I am getting a job at PSA in their QC dept. :)

davidjinks
11-01-20, 17:37
Well, I’m the owner of the CH, I bought it new, it was in a factory/unmodified LE6920. There were exactly 50 live rounds put through that rifle with another maybe 100 or so additional dry manipulations. The problem didn’t show itself until I switched the Colt waffle stock for a SOPMOD stock, which in fact has a higher “comb” than a standard issue stock.

You make it sound like it’s more than what it is. It’s a bent CH. How or why it bent, I don’t know. But I personally replaced this one with a brand new one out of pocket and I don’t expect, nor want anything from the manufacturer.

AndyLate
11-01-20, 18:33
They are kinda bustin' your balls, aren't they? I took it as your reporting an unexpected situation, no more or less.

I would suggest contacting BCM for a replacement. You paid a premium to ensure you got a serviceable part and you should have received one.

Andy

davidjinks
11-01-20, 18:57
Maybe, maybe not, it’s hard to read people most of the time in the world of the internet. And too be honest, some people are diehard company supporters who believe their beloved can do no wrong. I’m not saying that’s happening here, but it’s possible.

Like I said, I don’t want a replacement from BCM. I think they’re a great company and have no doubt they would stand by their product. I ordered a new CH direct from them and will continue to use their products.

I just found it odd that I have a bent CH. Never had that happen to me before and I don’t know how it happened. Just sharing with the group that’s all.

They are kinda bustin' your balls, aren't they? I took it as your reporting an unexpected situation, no more or less.

I would suggest contacting BCM for a replacement. You paid a premium to ensure you got a serviceable part and you should have received one.

Andy

jsbhike
11-01-20, 19:41

The bend likely caused the sides to flare out.

MistWolf
11-01-20, 21:24
...The finish wear comes from the fact it is bent...
I wasn't commenting on the wear. I was commenting on the bend. The part could have been warped during the extrusion process. Or it warped during an improper heat treat process. Or the material came out soft and got bent afterwards.

Yes, it did. When the CH was bent, the sides had to bow outward as they were compressed, which cause rubbing.

davidjinks
11-02-20, 06:29
No worries, I was tracking with what you were saying. I’m out of my element when it comes to metals and treatments or how they’re manufactured.

I wasn't commenting on the wear. I was commenting on the bend. The part could have been warped during the extrusion process. Or it warped during an improper heat treat process. Or the material came out soft and got bent afterwards.

markm
11-02-20, 07:34

Eric Kincel was with VLTOR and the original CH design stayed with VLTOR. Eric is with BCM now, and the new CHs are designed for BCM. Any with both markings are VLTOR produced FOR Bravo.

Vltor's finish has rubbed of pretty easily on a few of my CHs too. No idea about the bending, but I'd send it to VLTOR for possible replacement.

AndyLate
11-02-20, 07:43
I'm sure the new charging handles are great, but I am quite happy with my (Mod 4 and 5) Vltor/BCM units. What do I know though? I use a few quality MilSpec handles without too much trouble.

Andy

docsherm
11-02-20, 12:51
I have wondered about this. Can you provide feedback?

Vltor terminated the relationship due to poor quality control.

docsherm
11-02-20, 12:53
I read that people were pinching their hands on the VLTOR style so BCM idiot proofed their new design.

VLTOR is still making their BCM style CH. I picked up a SOLGW/VLTOR branded mod4 earlier this summer for a new rifle.

That is absolutely wrong. The design was intended to not have any seems on the back to increase strength. The New BCM one splits it down the middle, which completely goes against that principle.

davidjinks
11-02-20, 13:21
Doc, in regards to seams, you’re talking about the rear of the CH latch area correct?

That is absolutely wrong. The design was intended to not have any seems on the back to increase strength. The New BCM one splits it down the middle, which completely goes against that principle.

kirkland
11-02-20, 13:31

I don't knkw but I hate the new latch design. I wish I would have bought a bushel of the old ones

docsherm
11-02-20, 15:17
Doc, in regards to seams, you’re talking about the rear of the CH latch area correct?

Correct

docsherm
11-02-20, 15:19
I don't knkw but I hate the new latch design. I wish I would have bought a bushel of the old ones

Vltor still makes the old version, just without BCM involvement.

https://www.skdtac.com/Vltor-5-56-Charging-Handle-p/vlt.118.htm

kwelz
11-04-20, 17:51
Vltor still makes the old version, just without BCM involvement.

https://www.skdtac.com/Vltor-5-56-Charging-Handle-p/vlt.118.htm

Good to know. Is BCM slipping in general or is it just an issue with the CH?

99cobra2881
11-04-20, 20:19

For something that is absolutely wrong there sure are a lot of easy to find examples of people saying the VLTOR ch pinched them and articles stating that was one of the reasons why BCM redesigned the CH.

https://soldiersystems.net/2018/02/02/bcmgunfighter-charging-handles-reloaded/