PDA

View Full Version : AR General Discussion forum dead?

kirkland
10-31-20, 14:08
Seems like the only thing that is posted over there anymore is the old "which AR should I buy" or "should I buy this piece of gear" thread. Maybe only 1 or 2 people reply to threads in the forum per day. Seems dead, and nothing really interesting to read there anymore. The General Discussion forum is a little more interesting and I like reading your guys's opinions on current events, but still only seems like a handful of people posting here. This website as a whole is becoming a ghost town.

Firefly
10-31-20, 14:15
Um we have lives. Plus nothing really to talk about.

Arik
10-31-20, 16:08
Um we have lives. Plus nothing really to talk about.What he said

Although, I gotta admit I haven't seen a good AR lube thread in a while. I have a feeling were missing out on some new and potentially game changing oils

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Jellybean
10-31-20, 17:20
Well, I mean, what do you expect from a website where the search button reigns supreme? :laugh:
As far as I know the major informational issues haven't changed in 10+ years, so the only things TO talk about are new issues. Like... which widget should I buy since x and x items didn't exist a couple years ago.

Also, the fact that the last decade of leftist asshattery has left us flush with a plethora of solid AR and AR accessory manufacturers, so the endless refrain of "just buy x and x already' tends to cut through a lot of BS since it's "easy mode" for new buyers right now.

OH58D
10-31-20, 17:32
Just go over to ARFCOM - they've had an interesting thread going for your edification:

"Do Vampires Poop?"

I do visit that place once in a while. I would post something here about an auction I went to Wednesday evening in Las Vegas, New Mexico where I was the high bidder for a NIB Ruger AR-556, but I'd get run out. $290 for the thing. Owner bought it a couple of years ago, never used it and died. I'd be getting high fives at that other site.

Now I need to ponder how well I did. Fit and finish seems nice. Might end up being a fun shooter. But don't tell too many people here I own a FUDD gun......

ABNAK
10-31-20, 17:43
Just go over to ARFCOM - they've had an interesting thread going for your edification:

"Do Vampires Poop?"

I do visit that place once in a while. I would post something here about an auction I went to Wednesday evening in Las Vegas, New Mexico where I was the high bidder for a NIB Ruger AR-556, but I'd get run out. $290 for the thing. Owner bought it a couple of years ago, never used it and died. I'd be getting high fives at that other site.

Now I need to ponder how well I did. Fit and finish seems nice. Might end up being a fun shooter. But don't tell too many people here I own a FUDD gun......

Dude I'd love to have an AC556! Congrats!

Oh wait, you said AR556. Never mind.....:sarcastic:

OH58D
10-31-20, 18:13
Dude I'd love to have an AC556! Congrats!

Oh wait, you said AR556. Never mind.....:sarcastic:
I don't recall ever seeing the Ruger AC556 until the first episodes of The A-Team. I was in my last months of flight school and the wife and I had off-base housing in Dothan, Alabama. Kind of a crummy apartment, but I was a 2LT. That was ca. January 1983. That was a cool looking weapon, for sure.

AndyLate
10-31-20, 18:25

"Do Vampires Poop?"

Pretty hard to beat under $300 for a like-new AR.

Andy

ddbtoth
10-31-20, 18:37
Um we have lives. Plus nothing really to talk about.
What, like GlockTalk and the new, exciting front serrations on the newest pistol? Does seem like most everything has been discussed though. Hard to develop something actually new- like the Franklin Armory and the smooth bore barrel stuff. Really? At least they are trying.
In general, guns have reached their technological high point.

TomMcC
10-31-20, 18:47
Everyone is jaded or something. If we were all scrounging for food and women and clothes and shelter then in our few moments of leisure we could talk about our grand daily adventure in life, but now we're just waiting for the boog.

Firefly
10-31-20, 18:50

"Do Vampires Poop?"

You know we love you mang.

Honestly $290 for an AR to just do whatever with isn’t bad.

Fudd isn’t a gun. It’s a state of mind. I knew a guy (sadly passed on) who wasn’t really at all a “gun guy”. But he had two identical Colt SP1s and two 1911s. He had other guns like bolt actions and lever actions and loved his single action Ruger revolvers.

But he kept them Colts sighted in and oiled. He did four tours in Vietnam and said he only had those guns because he knew “damn well how to use them and what they will do”.

It took a LOT of cajoling to get him to buy a Glock and he did. A Glock 34. And his eyes lit up. “Say this is mighty nice”. And he considered it a “killing gun” and sold a Colt 1911 to offset it. I mean something he bought in the early 70s. He offered it to me for like nothing and I stupidly turned it down because I had a Kimber and didn’t think I needed another 1911.

When he died his son got his stuff. But he was a really nice, well mannered guy. Really positive.

Ostensibly you could say he was a “fudd” of you judged him solely for the guns his like but that being said there are probably some Vietnamese orphans and widows still out there somewhere who would argue that point.

ETA Barfcom is easily trolled and fun and I swear they bleed soy.

OH58D
10-31-20, 19:05
You know we love you mang.

Honestly $290 for an AR to just do whatever with isn’t bad.

Fudd isn’t a gun. It’s a state of mind. I knew a guy (sadly passed on) who wasn’t really at all a “gun guy”. But he had two identical Colt SP1s and two 1911s. He had other guns like bolt actions and lever actions and loved his single action Ruger revolvers.

But he kept them Colts sighted in and oiled. He did four tours in Vietnam and said he only had those guns because he knew “damn well how to use them and what they will do”.

It took a LOT of cajoling to get him to buy a Glock and he did. A Glock 34. And his eyes lit up. “Say this is mighty nice”. And he considered it a “killing gun” and sold a Colt 1911 to offset it. I mean something he bought in the early 70s. He offered it to me for like nothing and I stupidly turned it down because I had a Kimber and didn’t think I needed another 1911.

When he died his son got his stuff. But he was a really nice, well mannered guy. Really positive.

Ostensibly you could say he was a “fudd” of you judged him solely for the guns his like but that being said there are probably some Vietnamese orphans and widows still out there somewhere who would argue that point.

ETA Barfcom is easily trolled and fun and I swear they bleed soy.
I've been a member over there since 2002, but only around 200 or more posts. It's too busy there for my taste. The threads are flying in and out, and if you leave for 5 minutes and return - you have a hard time finding where you were.

I should have said "Fudd's gun" than Fudd gun. No matter, it had never been shot and still in the bag in the box. It was covered in so much oil/preservative that it reminds me of combloc stuff and their cosmoline. I thought it was a good buy. It was an estate sale/auction and the big items were all the antiques and coin collection stuff. This Ruger seemed to fall between the cracks because I was the only bidder. The wife left with a Tiffany style lamp.

ABNAK
10-31-20, 19:11
I've been a member over there since 2002, but only around 200 or more posts. It's too busy there for my taste. The threads are flying in and out, and if you leave for 5 minutes and return - you have a hard time finding where you were.

I should have said "Fudd's gun" than Fudd gun. No matter, it had never been shot and still in the bag in the box. It was covered in so much oil/preservative that it reminds me of combloc stuff and their cosmoline. I thought it was a good buy. It was an estate sale/auction and the big items were all the antiques and coin collection stuff. This Ruger seemed to fall between the cracks because I was the only bidder. The wife left with a Tiffany style lamp.

Yeah I got booted from BARFCOM about 8 years ago, having been there for about 10 previous to that. Went out in style for sure, told Ed Sr. what he could do with his website and there were a few subsequent vulgar emails exchanged. Oh well.....

I will say this though: I do occasionally browse their GD forum for "current events" type stuff, which is funny because that's where my donnybrook took place!

Firefly
10-31-20, 19:23
I don’t even lurk but I do love the Divorce threads, the Virgin at 45 threads and some of their other trainwrecks. And the leg humping.

Most of them buy guns just to buy guns like the walking licks that they are.

JoshNC
10-31-20, 19:38
I don’t even lurk but I do love the Divorce threads, the Virgin at 45 threads and some of their other trainwrecks. And the leg humping.

Most of them buy guns just to buy guns like the walking licks that they are.

There are still some good discussions. The sub forums I like are retro AR, bullpup, hk, fn, Colt and KAC industry. Then the EE. The EE has always been a great place to find deals on gently used items that people are selling to fund the new hotness.

Rogue556
10-31-20, 19:42
TOS has two things going for it.

1. A massive Equipment Exchange.

2. A Night Vision Sub Forum

The NV sub forum has the occasional back and forth between vendors, but over all it's one of the few places around with that specific information.

If only M4C had its own NV sub forum. (Hint).

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

turnburglar
10-31-20, 19:51
I think once we realized in the last couple decades that:

No round is actually better than 556

Pistons are stupid

BCG coatings are stupid

PMAGs are flawless

Rails are all LW now

ACOGs and AimPoints have been surpassed by LPVO's

... and we get a parts and ammo shortage every 3-5 years like clock work....

What is there left to argue about?

Gas ports? That's where we are at in 2020 AR land.

ABNAK
10-31-20, 20:03

Pistons are stupid

BCG coatings are stupid

PMAGs are flawless

Rails are all LW now

Can't necessarily agree with that particular point.

Something as simple as hard chrome (especially the bolt) or the higher-end Cryptic Coatings Mystic Black are pretty cool. DLC ain't too shabby either. Pricier than phosphate but if you're not cheap they are actually quite nice. That said, there's still a need for lube despite the advertisements to the contrary. Keep them oiled up and cleaning is a breeze (if one cares about such a thing). ;)

Firefly
10-31-20, 20:14

Pistons are stupid

BCG coatings are stupid

PMAGs are flawless

Rails are all LW now

Pretty much. I’m not gonna argue port size. Honestly suppressors are nice but like not everything.

I like my ACOG though. And I have a couple piston Hks but I got them because HK and I like them

Eventually someone will make another 6MM bullet that wants to be the new SOCOM round.

I dunno

SomeOtherGuy
10-31-20, 20:52
Although, I gotta admit I haven't seen a good AR lube thread in a while. I have a feeling were missing out on some new and potentially game changing oils

I lube my AR with an advanced non-synthetic formula consisting of beef tallow and pig fat. That way I have the comfort of knowing that even if I'm killed by Muslim and Hindu terrorists, operating operationally as like-minded brothers in creed, they won't have the satisfaction of eating my AR's bolt carrier with a clean conscience.

Jellybean
10-31-20, 20:52
.... I would post something here about an auction I went to Wednesday evening in Las Vegas, New Mexico where I was the high bidder for a NIB Ruger AR-556, but I'd get run out. $290 for the thing. Owner bought it a couple of years ago, never used it and died. I'd be getting high fives at that other site....

Are you kidding?
I'm going to give you an internet high five right now. Did they have two? I'd literally buy it off you AND pay for shipping. :laugh:
$290 is hella good for a new training/loaner/fence-walking rifle. Geez, it can't be worse than a Poverty Pony.

MountainRaven
10-31-20, 20:53
LPVOs only really surpass Aimpoints and ACOGs if you don't care about weight.

5.56mm is pretty mediocre, but the selection is awesome. Like if I could design any rifle from the ground-up, I would probably choose 5.45x39... if I could get ATK or Olin to design decent ammo for it.

OH58D
10-31-20, 21:06
Are you kidding?
I'm going to give you an internet high five right now. Did they have two? I'd literally buy it off you AND pay for shipping. :laugh:
$290 is hella good for a new training/loaner/fence-walking rifle. Geez, it can't be worse than a Poverty Pony.
If there was two, I would have tried for both. It was a bunch of senior citizens and some antique dealers from Santa Fe at this Las Vegas, NM estate sale/auction. The only other Ruger rifle I own is a 1975 Ruger 10/22 I got as a teenager.

ABNAK
10-31-20, 21:35

5.56mm is pretty mediocre, but the selection is awesome. Like if I could design any rifle from the ground-up, I would probably choose 5.45x39... if I could get ATK or Olin to design decent ammo for it.

I only have one LPVO, a Steiner 1-4x. I only got it because of an occasional weakness for being "trendy". It is nice to be sure. The length/weight is a bit much. I know I will be excoriated for this statement but IMHO an ACOG would do just as well for a good deal less length/weight.

MikhailBarracuda91
10-31-20, 22:10
The TA-31 is pretty usable even as close as 15 feet. I'm still shocked at how well the ACOG gathers light, especially when you shoot at night with a light

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

BoringGuy45
10-31-20, 22:19

I think LVPOs are still in their early stages in terms of being a combat optic, but they're coming along. The good ones have already improved issues with the eye box and actually creating a true 1x to where they're close to RDS for speed. I'd imagine if they stay popular, we'll start seeing ones that are smaller, lighter, have a greater battery life, and be even faster at 1x.

vicious_cb
10-31-20, 23:03
I think LVPOs are still in their early stages in terms of being a combat optic, but they're coming along. The good ones have already improved issues with the eye box and actually creating a true 1x to where they're close to RDS for speed. I'd imagine if they stay popular, we'll start seeing ones that are smaller, lighter, have a greater battery life, and be even faster at 1x.

LPVOs have been around for 10-15 years, dudes were running around Iraq with Short Dots so not early by a long shot, quite the opposite, LPVOs are a pretty mature technology.

With the current tech a good LPVO on 1x is just as fast as a red dot, the only difference is the amount of trigger time you need to put in to match the time with a LPVO.

The future is electro-optics like fused systems but until they become more useable the LPVO is currently the king of general purpose fighting optics.

SomeOtherGuy
10-31-20, 23:21

The future is electro-optics like fused systems but until they become more useable the LPVO is currently the king of general purpose fighting optics.

Huge strides are being made in fully electronic day/night optics - basically mini cameras and displays with both color and IR vision capability. It probably won't be long before thermal is integrated as well, allowing a view in three modes either singly or combined by a computer. Day/IR systems already exist and have been through multiple generations with the price coming down and capabilities increasing. The reliability and long term durability aren't yet proven and probably are lacking, but as those get worked on these will become the major combat optic.

This is going to make the 1-4x LPVO and other conventional scopes start looking like 1871 Springfield Trapdoors in the near future. Looking at the size and zoom of the NX8 and Vortex Razor3 1-10x I think we're already close to the peak capabilities of LPVOs, considering the inescapable math of objective size, magnification and exit pupil size. When you switch to electronic cameras your limitations of objective lens size and magnification largely go away, and you can add image stabilization as well. You could also have the display be mounted on the user's helmet or glasses instead of on the gun, which opens up some interesting possibilities.

Current tech won't be worthless, just as iron sights are not worthless, but it will be far behind the more capable newer tech.

Averageman
11-01-20, 00:01
Because, we can use the search function and actually go in to an inter-dimensional whirl wind resulting in purchasing another "Uber Nich" AR?

The_War_Wagon
11-01-20, 06:27
Ohhhh... once the anqueefers, CBP, DLDM, et. al. start rioting Tuesday night, LOTSA folks will start checking in!

Maintenance issues, most likely. :rolleyes:

BuzzinSATX
11-01-20, 06:49

"Do Vampires Poop?"

Congrats on the Ruger. In spite of the “AR snobbery” here, they are generally decent guns if you don’t overpay...and you clearly didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STAFF
11-01-20, 07:44

"Do Vampires Poop?"

:haha:

BoringGuy45
11-01-20, 08:32
LPVOs have been around for 10-15 years, dudes were running around Iraq with Short Dots so not early by a long shot, quite the opposite, LPVOs are a pretty mature technology.

With the current tech a good LPVO on 1x is just as fast as a red dot, the only difference is the amount of trigger time you need to put in to match the time with a LPVO.

I know it's been more than a decade. The first picture I ever saw of a LVPO was a S&B Short Dot on a 416 circa. 2005. I was just comparing this to the fact that red dots and ACOGs have been around 30-40 years and thus, LVPOs are comparatively new. They're the wave of the future and they're only going to get better.

kirkland
11-01-20, 12:13
Huge strides are being made in fully electronic day/night optics - basically mini cameras and displays with both color and IR vision capability. It probably won't be long before thermal is integrated as well, allowing a view in three modes either singly or combined by a computer. Day/IR systems already exist and have been through multiple generations with the price coming down and capabilities increasing. The reliability and long term durability aren't yet proven and probably are lacking, but as those get worked on these will become the major combat optic.

This is going to make the 1-4x LPVO and other conventional scopes start looking like 1871 Springfield Trapdoors in the near future. Looking at the size and zoom of the NX8 and Vortex Razor3 1-10x I think we're already close to the peak capabilities of LPVOs, considering the inescapable math of objective size, magnification and exit pupil size. When you switch to electronic cameras your limitations of objective lens size and magnification largely go away, and you can add image stabilization as well. You could also have the display be mounted on the user's helmet or glasses instead of on the gun, which opens up some interesting possibilities.

Current tech won't be worthless, just as iron sights are not worthless, but it will be far behind the more capable newer tech.

Wouldn't image stabilization throw off your zero? I'm trying to wrap my head around how that would work. Other than that, sounds exciting. Optics, night vision, thermal, MWIR, FLIR, SWIR are all things that really fascinate me.

MountainRaven
11-01-20, 13:28
I think fully electronic/digital optics are the future for NODs and thermals and certainly have potential mounted to a weapon, but I don't think they'll likely replace LPVOs, RDSs, or ACOGs on small arms. On emplaced weapons, like MGs, sniper rifles, anti-matériel rifles, and so forth, I think the use of digital optics tied into a helmet display or similar also has a future; but then, we're already 90% of the way there with CROWS and similar systems.

I think there might be a future in a HUD-type setup that displays a reticle for where an individual weapon is pointing (imagine something like using NODs with an IR laser/illuminator, but with full peripheral vision and the only aiming indicator you see is for your weapon - potentially with height-over-bore and ballistics and atmospherics taken into account). Especially in combination with ATAK-like information technologies, allowing your helmet or glasses to display not only where your weapon is pointed and where the bullet is likely to end up, but also BluFor locations, probable enemy locations, &c. But I don't think a sort of inset monitor in glasses or helmet with magnification is likely - not from a technical standpoint, but from a practical one: I think the cost to the user's peripheral vision would be too great. And I think ATAK and similar could prove to be more of a hindrance than a help: Both from potential information overload for grunts but also from it's vulnerability to being attacked by IT-savvy foes, especially near-peer IT-savvy foes (like Russia, China, Iran, &c.).

SomeOtherGuy
11-01-20, 13:30
Wouldn't image stabilization throw off your zero? I'm trying to wrap my head around how that would work. Other than that, sounds exciting. Optics, night vision, thermal, MWIR, FLIR, SWIR are all things that really fascinate me.

To use image stabilization I think the optic/computer would have to calculate the gun's "wobble zone" from being held on target, and show a mark, maybe a semi-transparent colored circle, showing the size and area of the wobble zone so you can have an idea where the bullet should hit, including the margin of error resulting from shooter's wobble, which the stabilization is cancelling out optically but not cancelling in the gun itself. That's my idea at least.

Glock9mm1990
11-01-20, 14:15

You say 5.56 is mediocre but you would choose an even smaller and slower caliber?

turnburglar
11-01-20, 14:45

Apparently the USMC agrees with me.

They are trying to get every rifleman in the squad to have a M27, Trijicon 1-8, and KAC NT4 suppressor....

By 21/22 FY's. Very soon.

MountainRaven
11-01-20, 15:26
You say 5.56 is mediocre but you would choose an even smaller and slower caliber?

onoz, my 22-caliber bullet lost 0.002" on it's diameter and 100 fps out of a 16" barrel with a cartridge actually designed for use in military self-loading rifles instead of being a bolt action varmint cartridge shoe-horned into a technology demonstrator, however will I survive?

Apparently the USMC agrees with me.

They are trying to get every rifleman in the squad to have a M27, Trijicon 1-8, and KAC NT4 suppressor....

By 21/22 FY's. Very soon.

Two thoughts:
1- The M27 in such a configuration reminds me of the M14: A rifle to do it all that's shit at being a machine gun and too long and heavy to be a carbine or a submachine gun. I guess POG Marines get to address that excessive weight and length by using M16A4s. I give the NT4s about a year before boots losing them on FTXs and Terminal Lances stuffing them in their duffles on their way to EAS leads the Corps ceasing issue of them and pushing them back to FR and Raiders.
2- The Marines aren't even pretending to issue a bunch of lightweight stuff to issue out more stuff, they're just issuing out more stuff. At least the Army pretends the more stuff is lightweight stuff (even if the end result is a net increase in weight).

In any event, I'm glad I don't have to schlep all that shit around.

Firefly
11-01-20, 15:52
The HK rifles are misunderstood. I believe if they were DI people could see how good they are.

Per 5.45. I like it too. I was a 5.45 maniac in my late twenties but those days are gone.

Trying to revisit them would be like the balding middle aged man trying to light up a doobie he found in an old shoebox with his dirty magazines and his bootlegged Pearl Jam tapes. Exciting and edgy when you’re a teen but hopelessly sad and pathetic as a grown ass man.

You’re never going to be Spetsnaz. You’re never going to screw Xenia Onatopp after magdumping Krinkovs, you’re never going to fly a Hind D.

It’s never happening. It’s NEVER happening.

And 5.45 was a bullshit ripoff of 5.56 same as that gay new Chicom round because they still wanna use that same stupid AF case to use in their sweatshop made guns.

I mean IF WE WANTED TO GO THERE, we would just use .224 Valkyrie or 6mm ARC but these lameass rounds never take off.

.224 Valkyrie is LITERALLY the American 5.45. And nobody buts it except fat kids wanting to be all tactical and shit.

I only have a .300 black for hogs. Otherwise it’s a meme. And I have actually thought I could just suppress my UMP conversion and get the same result but lighter.

I’ve debated even trynna get a MP5 PDW with just hot as hell 9MM ammo to hog with. I actually sorta regret the .300 meme. I mean I dunno. And I actually kinda hate MP5s.

Regardless I am happiest with my FF slotty Colt Carbine and my SP1.

I’m just tired of playing the rigged game.
I’M. TIRED OF PLAYING THE RIGGED GAME!!!!

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-C84TOCuCSWo/UhS17auGDDI/AAAAAAAAADo/NceOAEgzT9w/s1600/michael-douglas-in-falling-down%5B1%5D.jpg

vicious_cb
11-01-20, 17:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iDkVasHZog&ab_channel=L3HarrisTechnologies

vicious_cb
11-01-20, 17:14
Skip to 3:07

https://youtu.be/1X5fMHOrh6g?t=189

Jellybean
11-01-20, 20:59
LPVOs only really surpass Aimpoints and ACOGs if you don't care about weight...
I'm kinda with you on the Aimpoint/dedicated red dot.
But not on the Acog; the small savings in weight is easily surpassed by the capability of the LPVO.

>ENVG-B Goggle Video<<

Slick. Looks like you could say goodbye to aiming lasers for night use with that system.

Although, I admit, at around 2:55 I had the perniciously ironic thought that the guy has all that nearly-sci-fi tech on him.... and the same god awful triple mag shingle that's been around for eons. :laugh:
Yeah, I'd prioritize my money on the tech too. But still...

SomeOtherGuy
11-01-20, 21:23
Thanks vicious_cb. I hadn't heard of either one but they are the exact kind of tech I'm expecting to be huge in the near future, especially the ENVG-B aiming system.

You can buy, right now, much more basic stuff like the ATN X-Sight and Pulsar Digisight, both of which are not that pricey any more. Those examples are borderline primitive still, but these technologies have a way of going from marginally useful bleeding-edge stuff to fully developed and viable in just 1-2 generations.

Glock9mm1990
11-01-20, 23:10
onoz, my 22-caliber bullet lost 0.002" on it's diameter and 100 fps out of a 16" barrel with a cartridge actually designed for use in military self-loading rifles instead of being a bolt action varmint cartridge shoe-horned into a technology demonstrator, however will I survive?

Ok maybe I am just daft, but I really don’t get where you are coming from. You say the 5.56 is a varmint round, but are ok with yet an even smaller and slower round? So the caliber can’t be the issue. You said in a previous post you wanted ATK to make rounds for 5.45 but they already make such in 5.56.

As for being a round designed for bolt actions, is you’re criticism based of the fact that it’s a straight walled cartridge? Therefore having a negative affect on reliability? Because I will say a property built AR has more then proven itself to be reliable in harsh conditions, as reliable if not more so then certain other designs depending on circumstances that I won’t mention.

But then again I could be missing entirely what you are saying.

Averageman
11-02-20, 11:11
I've often referred people to the forum who were first time AR buyers, with the caveat that they read a lot and become marginally informed before they post.
That place could be a bit brutal on newbies back in the day.
It's still the greatest reference ever for everything AR related.

OH58D
11-02-20, 12:03
I've often referred people to the forum who were first time AR buyers, with the caveat that they read a lot and become marginally informed before they post.
I guess the novelty of the AR/M16 wore off after carrying such a weapon with you, including sleeping with the thing in the field. Other than a KAC RAS on the carbine, I'm pretty much of a stock rifle/carbine user. I like the simplicity of the basic weapon, including iron sights. For me it was the first military type of weapon I ever shot. There's that fondness like your first love/girlfriend you always remember.

I shared these pictures before on he retro-forum, but it shows me in July 1978 at Fort Knox, Kentucky in the ROTC basic course for 6 weeks. I was 18 years old and the following month I did Jump School for 3 weeks at Benning. I am seated looking at the camera. The second and third pictures are other members of my platoon, all college students from their respective ROTC programs filling a gap caused by a huge reduction in force at the end of the Vietnam War. All M16A1s in the pics and a mix of Colt and Hydra-Matics. FYI this was A-Company, 13th Bn, 4th Training Brigade, 3rd Platoon. The fatigue shirts were allow to be untucked since we were having temps that summer up to @ 100 degrees. Too humid for a kid from the high graze cattle country of New Mexico:

https://i.imgur.com/qI3UwCkh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mDOx0aOh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MIQHu7wh.jpg

Averageman
11-02-20, 12:12
Remember how you couldn't keep a damn thing in your front pants pockets?
I was a bit behind you, but Knox is where I did OSUT. M48/M60 Armor Crewman.

OH58D
11-02-20, 12:22
Remember how you couldn't keep a damn thing in your front pants pockets?
I was a bit behind you, but Knox is where I did OSUT. M48/M60 Armor Crewman.
That summer of 1978 they were testing the track unit of what they were calling the XM1. Got to see a night live fire on the range of a platoon of M60 tanks. Since you're a former tanker, here's a view down one of the roads at Fort Knox with the entire battalion of 1000 + ROTC cadets and an M60 rolling along. There was a Jeep escort in front of it. Even after becoming a pilot and stationed at Fort Campbell, used to fly numerous times to Godman AAF at Knox for training:

https://i.imgur.com/JDzpjTHh.jpg

Dr. Bullseye
11-03-20, 12:32

This is true. But the reason the General AR section is dead is because you had moderation who said, paraphrasing, if it is not a Gucci, it is not worth discussion. So the first reaction of the moderator was to ask you what kind of a Gucci gun you had and why you did not have a Gucci gun if you did not have one. Finally, incompatibility of two or more Gucci components became the preferred topics. In just raising real world topics like failure to cycle or feeding problems the OP was told to check old posts and dismissed.

Another point is your religion. Maybe not quite as much as ARf.com but Aimpoint and Magpul are the twin gods to be worshiped. Any heresy and fan boys jump down your throat and a pile-on effect occurs. I had one Magpul mag, I'll never have another one.

Another point is you just plain drive people away which you deem unworthy. I forget his name but there was a guy who posted daily with non-military questions, questions about defending his ranch and what might work and what might not. He was told to pony up some money or leave. You guys have to realize that if you limit your forum to operators, you will be a small world. It is as if this forum is trying to be an every smaller, more elite club.

Even after saying all this, with all these faults, this forum is still the number one resource for "problems" in my mind.

The_War_Wagon
11-03-20, 15:33
Expect business to pick up here, when the polls close in a few hours, and the anqueefers come out from under their rocks. :rolleyes:

11-04-20, 20:12
If only M4C had its own NV sub forum. (Hint).
+1

......Magpul are the twin gods to be worshiped. Any heresy and fan boys jump down your throat and a pile-on effect occurs.
Lets test that....

PMAGs are flawless
I disagree. Old ass gray mags launch purposefully out of pretty much any lower, whereas PMags can be a little iffy-er. Including in some lowers from brands that are much loved here. I mean, I like PMags, and use quite a few, but I’m not sure I’d call them “flawless”.

74 beats 47, but in a ground-up new platform you can choose any cartridge for? Bold choice, dude. What led you to this conclusion? Is it just the taper, of which the 5.45 is not as crazy with as its predecessor?

Marines get to address that excessive weight and length by using M16A4s. I give the NT4s about a year before boots losing them on FTXs and Terminal Lances stuffing them in their duffles on their way to EAS leads the Corps ceasing issue of them and pushing them back to FR and Raiders.
2- The Marines aren't even pretending to issue a bunch of lightweight stuff to issue out more stuff, they're just issuing out more stuff. At least the Army pretends the more stuff is lightweight stuff (even if the end result is a net increase in weight).

In any event, I'm glad I don't have to schlep all that shit around.
I don’t miss the weight of a NT4 on a M4 with a big ass 9v Millennium series Surefire and a freakin laser. Sooooo front-heavy. I’m sure on a M27, its no better. I like it well enough on a Mk18, though. There are better choices today for less money.

BWT
11-05-20, 20:47
This is going to sound bad. But, we’ve also been at war for a long time and it’s winding down. We had a slew of trainers come out that were awesome, and the AWB sunset. So you had tons of new industry stuff flying around, then you had Obama come in and scare us all to death for 8 years which sent the industry super sonic.

Now we all have lots of stuff, and generally the “newness” or exciting nature of it has eroded. We have enough ammo crises that it kind of makes it hard as a primary hobby.

Who else deals with this crap? Oh god it’s an election year, better but my stuff Q1-Q2 because it’ll be crazy until at least this time next year and if it goes *bad* it will be that bad for for sure the next 6-12 months after and after any national incident we’ll be ready to hit the go button on everything’s out of stock.

Practically speaking... it’s a hard hobby to support and I think it’s matured a lot.

That and the way people talk now is less forum oriented.

My opinion - we are in a position where we talk about shooting a lot more than shooting and the content generators on most forums got burned out on being amongst the unwashed masses.

How long would an MIT grad student in Computer Science sit in a Walmart arguing with a guy about his wireless router before they’re like “Yeah, this ain’t worth it”.

I think social media’s a cleaner way for them to get our content and turn that into dollars and they don’t have the headache. Trainers used to talk to us here, but now they have 50,000-100,000 subscribers on YouTube and that generates dollars for their business.

Also, I love this place, but we’re not welcoming of new comers or new ideas or discourse in some ways. So that stifles things IMHO.

Gun ban scares, newness of AWB (ETA:) sunset wearing off, changes in information exchange socially, the military is slowing down some and we’ve withdrawn from Iraq and Afghanistan so you don’t have military folks coming here for hard data for the sandbox, and lastly - in my experience new people are talked down to.

I see that as the reasons this place doesn’t flourish. AR-15 doesn’t take itself as seriously for better or for worse. That keeps the folks coming in. Also, we have matured firearms design a lot - you can only refine kinetic weapons so much.

Just my thoughts.

God Bless,

Brandon

blade_68
11-05-20, 22:31
Firefly I want to steal this one..
Trying to revisit them would be like the balding middle aged man trying to light up a doobie he found in an old shoebox with his dirty magazines and his bootlegged Pearl Jam tapes. Exciting and edgy when you’re a teen but hopelessly sad and pathetic as a grown ass man.

But it is about fully played the AR it works and is a fully developed system, there is some coming stuff on sights integration of thermal, N.V and digital optics. Probably even stuff that has not been said or thought about. Hmm wonder what The Space Force version will be? Will require a system fixed on rifle and heads up display sighting?
Now about the only thing left is for the Army and USMC to make the basic rifle as heavy or more than a M1 Garand again. It started about the size and weight of a M1 carbine then morphed almost into the weight of M1 Garand. To get the M-4 and then to bolt on 10 lbs more stuff to it to make it as heavy or more again, but more versatile. At least.

flenna
11-06-20, 06:14
On the up side there is a live thread going on there now.