PDA

View Full Version : SOF rescues US citizen in Nigeria

WillBrink
10-31-20, 14:36
US. special operations forces, including members of the U.S. Navy's elite SEAL Team Six, have rescued an American citizen, who was kidnapped just days ago in the northwest African country of Niger, in a raid in neighboring Nigeria. You can read more about what is known about the abduction of 27-year-old Philip Walton from his home in the Nigerien village of Massalata, less than five miles from the Nigerian border, on Oct. 26, in The War Zone's previous reporting on that incident. At the time, we had predicted that some type of special operations mission operation to rescue Mr. Walton could be imminent.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/37381/seal-team-six-executes-long-distance-rescue-operation-of-kidnapped-american-in-nigeria

Bulletdog
10-31-20, 14:58
All but one of the kidnappers were killed. How did that oversight happen? Are they getting soft? That guy has a great story to go tell the other "criminal enterprisers" and terrorists in the region.

WillieThom
10-31-20, 15:38
I’d be willing to bet they didn’t just leave him behind. I mean, it’s possible. But not likely.

chuckman
10-31-20, 16:04
Book to follow....

MountainRaven
10-31-20, 16:12
The survivor either:

Wasn’t anywhere nearby when the rescue launched,
Provided the intel that gave the position to US SOF (or was maybe bribed - meaning they sold out their comrades rather than sell the American to ISIS),
Was taken prisoner to be pumped for intel, or
They were left alive to tell their tale to everyone they know and everyone they ever meet.

Or maybe some combination of the above.

ETA: Or he threw his hands in the air and surrendered while his buddies reached for their guns.

just a scout
10-31-20, 17:06
ROE is a little different than the last Administration. Leaving one guy alive to tell the tale of the Babi Yaga is cheaper than constant missions if they’re always looking over their shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ABNAK
10-31-20, 17:45
"Tears of the Sun" comes to mind.

Jellybean
10-31-20, 18:09
Not gonna lie...
I'd be pretty stoked if I was just some random guy that got kidnapped, and I somehow rated Marsoc/Raiders AND Seals to come kick doors and haul me out of there, and I got a free ride on a blackhawk/opsrey to boot...
Like, it would almost make the whole ordeal worth it. :laugh:

I mean, kinda seriously though... heck of a response for one random.

OH58D
10-31-20, 18:30
Seems to be a lot of quick activity for a simple Missionary living with his wife and kids, doing nothing more than raising camels, sheep, poultry and growing mango trees.....? I've been out of the loop for a while, but average civilians and missionary types don't garner that rapid of a response when reported to the Department of State, especially going thru the normal chain.

From my numerous adventures to the hell holes of the world, I do recall there are folks who just blend into the local communities, call little attention to themselves, but serve as the eyes and ears for people back here. I would not be surprised that Mr. Philip Walton was a multi-talented individual.

ABNAK
10-31-20, 19:06
Seems to be a lot of quick activity for a simple Missionary living with his wife and kids, doing nothing more than raising camels, sheep, poultry and growing mango trees.....? I've been out of the loop for a while, but average civilians and missionary types don't garner that rapid of a response when reported to the Department of State, especially going thru the normal chain.

From my numerous adventures to the hell holes of the world, I do recall there are folks who just blend into the local communities, call little attention to themselves, but serve as the eyes and ears for people back here. I would not be surprised that Mr. Philip Walton was a multi-talented individual.

Probably just a poor farmer from Virginia.

just a scout
10-31-20, 19:07
Probably just a poor farmer from Virginia.

[emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Firefly
10-31-20, 19:25
Christians in Action again.

Nigeria is a place I will never go.

I dont bless the rains down in Africa

OH58D
10-31-20, 19:28
Christians in Action again.

Nigeria is a place I will never go.

I dont bless the rains down in Africa
During my fun years with the 160th, I was in Egypt, Chad and Somalia, plus one other place I still cannot mention. I hate that part of the world with a passion. Never set foot on that Continent post Gothic Serpent.

chuckman
10-31-20, 19:40
During my fun years with the 160th, I was in Egypt, Chad and Somalia, plus one other place I still cannot mention. I hate that part of the world with a passion. Never set foot on that Continent post Gothic Serpent.

I was in west Africa and southern-central Africa. Most of the places for public consumption, one of which was not. Africa, yeah, I'll pass....

ABNAK
10-31-20, 19:41
I was in west Africa and southern-central Africa. Most of the places for public consumption, one of which was not. Africa, yeah, I'll pass....

I do believe the ChiComs are finding that out now as well.

Lacos
10-31-20, 19:54
Book to follow....

Movie also, the lead role played by Marky Wahlberg. He’s had training.

Firefly
10-31-20, 20:18
Actually I dunno. For a moment they had some good Afrocentric music but yeah naw screw em with Rosies Wrist Rocket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeqnmua-QQ8

rero360
11-01-20, 04:31
One of the best officers I’ve served with was from Nigeria, he told of how as a teenager he was in a crowd at the US Embassy trying to get over here and a Marine walking the fence line saw him and said to the others to let him in. Just a truly good and humble man. Was a CPT when we deployed together and right after he and his family spent time back in Nigeria with him being some sort of military attaché or liaison.